To be released tomorrow Monday.

Also, too:

Hart Research Polling Memo

¡Sterngard! come home.

Slartibartfast

Re: Better Deal Economic Agenda

Post by Slartibartfast » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:30 pm

Good sign. Very good sign.

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:37 pm

OT: Get moving, Slarti. You have a big day. :bighug:
Slartibartfast wrote:Good sign. Very good sign.

¡Sterngard! come home.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:40 pm

Thanks to everybody who is behind this.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:48 pm

Now we just have to hope it gets media attention.

Addie

Re: A Better Deal Economic Agenda

Post by Addie » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:02 am

WaPo OpEd - Nancy Pelosi
Americans deserve better than the GOP agenda, so we’re offering a better deal

First, Democrats are pledging ourselves to the goal of creating good-paying, full-time jobs for 10 million more Americans in the next five years.

It is time to ignite a new era of investment in America’s workers, empowering all Americans with the skills they need to compete in the modern economy. We are calling for a new tax credit for employers to train and hire workers at a good wage, and a massive new national commitment to expanding apprenticeships and paid on-the-job training that advances their skills and careers.

While we grow jobs, wages and the economy, Democrats know that a better deal for the American people demands strong action to tackle rising costs that are eating up families’ budgets.

Prescription drug prices are jacked up, and Americans have fewer options at increased costs. Large communications companies merge, and families see fewer options and higher bills. Agriculture giants consolidate, while farmers struggle and prices in Americans’ shopping carts rise. The price of gas goes down, but plane tickets become more expensive and airlines keep adding fees.

With this agenda, Democrats’ pledge ourselves to breaking the grip of the special interests and confronting the rising everyday costs that families have endured for too long.

That is the impetus behind our second proposal, to put economic power back into the hands of the American people, cracking down on the monopolies and big corporate mergers that harm consumers, workers and competition. We will demand that proposed mergers meet tough new standards to protect competition before approval, and will institute post-merger reviews to ensure that consolidated companies keep their promises to American consumers.

Third, Democrats will take unprecedented aggressive action to lower the cost of prescription drugs — the single largest factor driving increasing health costs in the United States today. We will leverage the power of Medicare to negotiate lower drug prices, force drug manufacturers to open their books and justify cost increases, and create a strong, independent enforcement agency empowered to end outrageous and unjustified prescription drug price-gouging.

The past six months have exposed the toxic special-interest priorities at the core of the Republican agenda. The American people deserve better. With a Democratic Congress, a better deal is exactly what Democrats will give them.
Adding:

VOX: Democrats’ Better Deal, explained

¡Sterngard! come home.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:58 pm

There must be far fewer words in which A Better Deal is explained.

And those words must speak to actual concerns of America's workers: job security, pension security, Social Security intact, health care costs manageable, children having a shot at college, ...all the things that Clinton did not get and Pelosi does not reference.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:17 pm

Well, I wondered how much coverage it would get.

https://www.democraticunderground.com/10029365180
What the hell, Chris Jansing?! Seriously. On MSNBC, she’s berating the Democrats for holding a presser about their economic plan at the same time that Kushner is being queried.

:snippity:

Meanwhile, as Jansing belittles the Democrats, they go to a split screen and show the Democrats speaking, but the audio is all about Trump and Kushner.
:madguy:

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:38 pm

In fairness to MSNBC, what the fuck were the Democrats thinking with that timing, anyway? It's not like the scheduling thing wasn't known ahead of time, and I thought that we wanted people paying attention to the collusion and corruption, too.

Unforced error. Again.

"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:40 pm

Mikedunford wrote:In fairness to MSNBC, what the fuck were the Democrats thinking with that timing, anyway? It's not like the scheduling thing wasn't known ahead of time, and I thought that we wanted people paying attention to the collusion and corruption, too.

Unforced error. Again.
Well, MSNBC made the choice, and I think the Democrats had set this up last week. I'd agree that the Democrats have a lot of unforced errors, but I don't know if this was really one of them.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:58 pm

AndyinPA wrote:
Mikedunford wrote:In fairness to MSNBC, what the fuck were the Democrats thinking with that timing, anyway? It's not like the scheduling thing wasn't known ahead of time, and I thought that we wanted people paying attention to the collusion and corruption, too.

Unforced error. Again.
Well, MSNBC made the choice, and I think the Democrats had set this up last week. I'd agree that the Democrats have a lot of unforced errors, but I don't know if this was really one of them.
Even if the specific timing of the events was unclear, it's been a certainty that this week would be consumed with Trump/Russia stuff for more than a week. I'm happy to see that there's a clearly articulated agenda, but the rollout left a great deal to be desired, IMNSHO. Viz:

It's a Monday morning rollout, 15+ months out from the election, during a period when many Americans are on vacation, rolled out by the current leadership at an event that doesn't seem to have featured any new candidates or up-and-coming leaders, during a week when it was guaranteed to be harder than normal to get traction with Trump sucking up the entire news cycle.

I'd score this +10 for getting a clearly articulated concept out early, but -7.5 for presentation.

"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:55 pm

I'm reminded of what someone said when Sinn Fien were complaining that it was an insult that the British Government had announced something because someone had blown themselves up or been shot or whatever on that date. He said that there isn't a day of the year that someone hand't done something to someone in Northern Ireland.

There isn't going to be a day that Trump, or something about trump isn't going to be dominating the news. He is a news black hole filled with Vomit. And, it could be argued that Kushner agreed to do this TODAY to bury the previously announced Democratic Announcement.

Anyway, whatever, the policy is in peoples hands now.

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:47 am

Mikedunford wrote:
AndyinPA wrote:

Unforced error. Again.
Even if the specific timing of the events was unclear, it's been a certainty that this week would be consumed with Trump/Russia stuff for more than a week. I'm happy to see that there's a clearly articulated agenda, but the rollout left a great deal to be desired, IMNSHO. Viz:

It's a Monday morning rollout, 15+ months out from the election, during a period when many Americans are on vacation, rolled out by the current leadership at an event that doesn't seem to have featured any new candidates or up-and-coming leaders, during a week when it was guaranteed to be harder than normal to get traction with Trump sucking up the entire news cycle.

I'd score this +10 for getting a clearly articulated concept out early, but -7.5 for presentation.
I too like the clearly articulated concept, but I don't like the name "A Better Deal."
It reminds me too much of a rehab program a family member enrolled in named "A Better Tomorrow." Attendees joked about the name because the services never equaled the hype.
Maybe we can all brainstorm some more fitting names.

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:44 am

Suranis,

I've got to agree with Mike that this was an unforced error. Yes, Trump and Russia are going to dominate the news cycle for the foreseeable future, but Jared Kushner (or another of Trump's inner circle) certainly doesn't testify every day and it is very much in the Democrat's interest for that to be covered as closely and carefully as possible. And they did it in a ham-handed manner. Mike pointed out several other issues with the rollout and Tollie pointed out some of the deficiencies of the policy. If people don't get through to Democratic leaders that THEY ARE FUCKING UP, then how will they ever alter their behavior?

And fucking up they are. The Democrats (with the exception of the Obama campaigns) have been demonstrating textbook 20th Century politics. It is no longer the 20th century and after terrible showings in the last four election cycles (all caused or seriously exacerbated by the unforced error of failing to stand with President Obama) we can no longer afford to give them the benefit of the doubt -- they need to show that they've learned their lessons and are willing and able to make the changes necessary (and changes are certainly necessary) to fight nearly half a century of right wing propaganda.

Can you give me one reason to suspect that the current leadership of the Democratic party is capable of coming up with a viable plan to fight the Republicans on the current (uneven) playing field while restoring fairness and integrity to the electoral process? Let alone a plan to fix the government infrastructure that Trump is devastating? These things need to be done and if the Democrats aren't going to do them, or aren't going to do them in a competent manner, then someone else has to. Or our Constitutional Republic is pretty much done. Business as usual Democrats just don't cut it anymore and the warmed-over Republican versions are even worse.

I want accountability -- for everyone, not just President Trump. Actions speak louder than words and they must have consequences for there to be any accountability. Look at my sig. This would be an example of the former, strategy without tactics. The typical behavior of the Democrats is the latter, tactics without strategy. Sometime they manage to ignore both. I reject the choice between the slowest route to victory and the noise before defeat. Do you think that the Democrats are better strategists than Sun Tzu? Because your only alternative is to explain to me the goals, strategies, and tactics of the Democratic party and convince me that all three are the best choices for the situation we're in and if you can do that, it truly would be a miracle.

Please stop attacking valid criticism of our leaders. I believe honest criticism, even brutally honest criticism, is the highest honor you can pay to someone's integrity. Are you suggesting Hillary doesn't have integrity or that she should be beyond accountability? Because one of those is a logical consequence of your position.
TollandRCR wrote:There must be far fewer words in which A Better Deal is explained.

Yes. There should be a one sentence version, a one paragraph version, and a one page version summarizing the complete plan (however long that is). Ideally it would be made up of several stand-alone parts and bills for each of them should be in process (already in rough draft would be better). They should have talking points for everyone that frame the plan in a manner amenable to the right (framing does not have to be as juvenile or disingenuous as "Crooked Hillary" to work). At least that's what I would want before launch (at a minimum).

And those words must speak to actual concerns of America's workers: job security, pension security, Social Security intact, health care costs manageable, children having a shot at college, ...all the things that Clinton did not get and Pelosi does not reference.

Add in student loans. If it doesn't include this stuff then its more of a gimmick not a serious plan, in my opinion. If the Democratic party isn't willing to talk about these things then what, and more importantly WHO, is it for?

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:48 am

There's honest criticism, and there is "oh we have to get rid of divisive members of the Democratic Party like Nancy Pelosi if we are ever going to get anywhere" You know, the people that Republicans cant stand because they are effective. And just ranting and raving about how awful Hillary was and trying to persuade everyone that she was the only reason you lost wont actually do anything to focus on the other problems. And blaming the victim is not honest criticism.

Newsflash, Hillary is gone. Constantly ranting about her "mistakes" is pointless, and divisive. And I'm sorry, pointing out that Trump is a news vacumn cleaner is not attacking you, its facing facts.

Kushner only announced that he was going to be in front of the panel on Monday on the 19th, last Wednesday. Now I have no idea what preparations the Democratic Party was making for its announcement, but maybe you should find out before you suggest that they should have postponed it. You need to book hotel conference rooms well in advance. Arranging Press coverage, and printing, and storing the documents takes time. Having to scrap those things is expensive and, frankly, doing it to work around the bouncing Trump sphere of Ego is annoying, and pointless. THINK before you sit back and critisise. There is a lot more to things like this, and it involves a lot more people than just the people sitting there. Timing and arranging this stuff is hard. It is sometimes just not possible to say "oh ok, we will do it tomorrow." You just can't control or change the availability of things on short notice. Not on Planet Earth anyway.

And frankly, MSNBC could have easilly covered the Dem announcement and then carried Kushner's 2 minutes of speach with no questions, then gone back to the Dem conference with no difficulty. There was actually VERY little actual news there to cover. They CERTAINLY could have spent the time they spent bitching at the Dems covering it. But hey, blame the victim and turn it into a "oh, it's her fault for wearing that Dress" story.

And I have done a hell of a lot of critisising the Dems, PARTICULARLY for running away from the ACA and President Obama 2 years ago. I'm sorry that you object to me pointing out that some things are outside their control and giving some perspective. Sun Tsu had lots of things to say about choosing the ground of your battle, but even he said sometimes the ground is just bad and there is nothing you can do about it, and the best thing you can do in that situation is fight anyway. And just sitting there critisising everything is NOT suggesting a new strategy.

Suggesting a new strategy would be "Make your arrangements more flexible in future so that you can postpone an announcement to the next day if the Trumps do something stupid again."

"The further back you can look, the further forward you are likely to see." Winston Churchill.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:51 am

There is one thing that President Obama brought from the 20th century: the ability to speak eloquently and clearly. That was a time in which we had some great political speakers:
I see a great nation, upon a great continent, blessed with a great wealth of natural resources. Its hundred and thirty million people are at peace among themselves; they are making their country a good neighbor among the nations. I see a United States which can demonstrate that, under democratic methods of government, national wealth can be translated into a spreading volume of human comforts hitherto unknown, and the lowest standard of living can be raised far above the level of mere subsistence.

But here is the challenge to our democracy: In this nation I see tens of millions of its citizens—a substantial part of its whole population—who at this very moment are denied the greater part of what the very lowest standards of today call the necessities of life.

I see millions of families trying to live on incomes so meager that the pall of family disaster hangs over them day by day.

I see millions whose daily lives in city and on farm continue under conditions labeled indecent by a so-called polite society half a century ago.

I see millions denied education, recreation, and the opportunity to better their lot and the lot of their children.

I see millions lacking the means to buy the products of farm and factory and by their poverty denying work and productiveness to many other millions.

I see one-third of a nation ill-housed, ill-clad, ill-nourished.
http://historymatters.gmu.edu/d/5105

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:55 am

Now that is a speech. Wow.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:13 am

Eh peace offering. Here's the Limerick song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06HoKhxh1GE

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:43 am

Wonkette coverage of the Democrattic agenda. No Kushner mentions!
The Democrats are trying out a new slogan for the 2018 midterm elections — “A Better Deal,” which plays off both the New Deal and that guy who claims he knows the art of the deal — in hopes of putting the emphasis on a positive agenda focused around economic populism. Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer outlined some of the key planks in a New York Times op-ed today, calling for a $15 minimum wage, child care and sick leave, and a big boost in infrastructure spending. Among the first initiatives the “Better Deal” will focus on will be rules aimed at slowing down job-killing corporate mergers, preventing price gouging by pharmaceutical companies (hello, public outrage over Martin Shkreli and also EpiPens!), and authorizing Medicare to negotiate for lower drug prices.

The details will be announced by Schumer and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi at an event today in Virginia, where Dems are hoping to win the House seat currently held by Republican Barbara Comstock; the new slogan and emphasis on everyday economic issues is intended to overcome the perception that Democrats don’t have an agenda beyond opposing Donald Trump, which while it’s a worthy thing to do, doesn’t say a lot about what Democrats would do differently. Schumer told the Washington Post,

So, hey, it seems like a good emphasis, because it focuses on bread-and-butter issues that Dems have always pushed for, and gets at some of the economic inequality issues that Trump made lots of promises about and then completely reversed course on once he took office. Screw the little guy, all the plum jobs in his administration went to alumni of Goldman Sachs. Also, too bad you believed that stuff about replacing the Affordable Care Act with cheaper, better insurance that will cover everyone, you dopes.

Of course, since the current Democratic leadership is floating the slogan — the full line is “A Better Deal: Better Jobs, Better Wages, Better Future” — it’s obviously time to refight the 2016 primary election, because Jesus Christ we are Democrats and even an agenda emphasizing economic issues — and which had input from Bernie Sanders’s economic advisers — is not lefty enough. Why aren’t you resigning instead, Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi? We don’t need party unity if it includes you people.

Read more at https://wonkette.com/620638/what-better ... DVTme1R.99

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:35 am

Already too late for this thread? But I have to critizise the Dems for not finding a different term for "deal". That has grown to a real trumpism with his failing Art of Deals, and Teh Donald repeating wanting better deals (in international treaties and commerce) over and over.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:45 pm

RTH10260 wrote:Already too late for this thread? But I have to critizise the Dems for not finding a different term for "deal". That has grown to a real trumpism with his failing Art of Deals, and Teh Donald repeating wanting better deals (in international treaties and commerce) over and over.
There's a long political history of Deals, like Teddy R's Square Deal, FDR's New Deal, and Truman's Fair Deal.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:55 pm

I agree with RTH, actually. I find the American propensity to reference everything in the past kind of irritating. Whether its Scandal-GATE or any of the other shite.

I think coming up with something snappy and NEW would be far far better. Something like "Medicare for all!" Which was actually a slogan for single payer a few days back in '09 and it was really catching on, before Holy Joe Lieberman stepped on it saying no way.

There I go, referencing the past myself :D But yeah, frame your policy initiative ideas NEWLY please. Makes it more likely people will pay attention.

"Suranis criticizes Dem leadership shock!"

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:08 pm

Coverage from the New York Times, yesterday

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/24/opin ... pe=article
Remember that little booklet Paul Ryan used to wave around with the Republicans’ insipidly branded economic agenda, “A Better Way”? Now Democrats have an agenda called “A Better Deal.”

This semantic similarity neatly encapsulates how scarce better ways and better deals have been in this gridlocked Congress. The agenda Democrats began rolling out on Monday actually shares some ideas — job training, lowering drug prices, help for working families — with the Republicans’ stated but so far unrealized priorities.

But the minority Democrats won’t accomplish much, if anything, on this list without Republican assistance. Democratic leaders say they’ve asked their Republican counterparts and President Trump for help, but that nobody on that side of the fence seems much interested in anything besides squandering the calendar (and their credibility) on a mindless effort to repeal Obamacare. Meanwhile, Mr. Trump’s campaign promise for a $1 trillion infrastructure overhaul, a job-creation effort Democrats are eager to talk about, goes nowhere.

Democrats need to keep trying, no matter how Sisyphean the effort, if only to show that at least one party has more interest in getting something done for struggling Americans than in positioning itself for the 2018 election. And why isn’t Mr. Trump, who is counting bills to rename post offices as legislative achievements, turning to Democrats for help on initiatives they and he support?

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:28 am

Sen. Tammy Baldwin‏Verified account @SenatorBaldwin 30m30 minutes ago

Today, we're unveiling #ABetterDeal on Trade and Jobs. Watch LIVE at 10:30 AM CT:

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:59 pm

The Hill
Eying 2018 gains, Dems build on economic message

House Democratic leaders on Wednesday launched the latest phase of an economic messaging campaign designed to make inroads with working-class voters in 2018 and beyond.

The caucus unveiled a series of task forces charged with crafting specific policy proposals with two overarching goals in mind: practically, they want to help the middle class thicken their wallets; politically, they want to reclaim the populist mantle from President Trump.

The effort, which builds on the party’s economy-focused “Better Deal” agenda, is an acknowledgement that the Democrats’ 2016 strategy of focusing on Trump's foibles backfired, particularly among many working-class voters in states like Michigan and Wisconsin.

It’s a mistake they’re vowing not to make twice.

“We all know our agenda can’t just be against Donald Trump — as alluring as that may be,” Rep. Joseph Crowley (N.Y.), chairman of the Democratic Caucus, said during a press briefing in the Capitol. “We need a vision — a vision backed by policy so all Americans know what Democrats stand for, and what we’re fighting for and how it will help them in their bottom line.”

¡Sterngard! come home.

Return to “Elections 2018”