2018 GOP Rattled by Trump

AndyinPA

Re: 2018 GOP Rattled by Trump

Post by AndyinPA » Thu May 31, 2018 7:31 pm

Boehner is clearly as big a piece of :shit: as ever. :doh:

kate520

Post by kate520 » Thu May 31, 2018 8:13 pm

Wait until they find out what concessions Trump is making to get these great deals. Will the next President have to spend .01% of his time undoing the Trump deals? It’s taking all of Trump’s attention and stamina just to think of tweets every morning to piss off half the country; the next President won’t have that attentional problem. I hope.

The way things are going, Kanye will be the next one. He’s the current right-wing fever dream.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Thu May 31, 2018 9:21 pm

kate520 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 8:13 pm
The way things are going, Kanye will be the next one. He’s the current right-wing fever dream.
Execpt he's.. umm.. blek.

Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

kate520

Post by kate520 » Thu May 31, 2018 9:24 pm

Eggackly, zeke.

See? We’re not racists. We found the one person who knows less about what’s what than Trump, and he’s blek!

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:29 am

I think it is not great that a moderate/conservative party no longer exists, but I think that the Republican party no longer exists -- it is not just taking a nap. It killed itself before Trump came along. There was the chance not taken to derail the Tea Party, which stood for everything that the Reoiblican party had opposed.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:38 am

TollandRCR wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:29 am
I think it is not great that a moderate/conservative party no longer exists, but I think that the Republican party no longer exists -- it is not just taking a nap. It killed itself before Trump came along. There was the chance not taken to derail the Tea Party, which stood for everything that the Reoiblican party had opposed.
Teabaggers killed the Republican party, pure and simple. The Republicans prostituted themselves to the Teabaggers in search of those last few votes. Rather than say no, the Republicans allowed the teabag agenda to move forward. The death knell happened when Republicans refused to stand up to Trump's more bizzare ideas.

Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:40 am

ZekeB wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:38 am
TollandRCR wrote:
Teabaggers killed the Republican party, pure and simple. The Republicans prostituted themselves to the Teabaggers in search of those last few votes. Rather than say no, the Republicans allowed the teabag agenda to move forward. The death knell happened when Republicans refused to stand up to Trump's more bizzare ideas.
Yes. The Southern Strategy was an accessory to the crime.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:54 am

I suffer badly from anger. Anger is usually unproductive and can lead to self-destructive behavior. Yet I see little reason for hope. DNC comnittees are favoring the bland cabdidates. The Demicratic Congressionak leadership is rooted in place despite its inability to inspire. Potential leaders like Lamb and O'Rourke are perhaps too inexperienced, and Warren is hesitant. We need strong leaders who can inspire!

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:23 am

I wish the GOP were rattled by Trump. It seems indifferent if not subservient to him. He us immensely dangerous. The Democrats failed us in 2016.

Ken Burns' superb documentary tells us much: https://www.forbes.com/sites/currenteve ... 646ae45bb5
When it came to activity, the 32nd President outdid the 26th [Teddy]. FDR created numerous agencies, including the National Recovery Administration to manage business and the Agricultural Adjustment Administration to manage the farming sector. His New Deal intensified TR's war on business. FDR labeled business owners "princes of property." He promised and delivered a "momentous" law, the Wagner Act, which gave organized labor the political power to force employers to pay higher wages.

JOBLESS RECOVERY

Roosevelt's landslide reelection in 1936 proved the popularity of his overall promise: more jobs. Even after the Supreme Court found some of the New Deal agencies unconstitutional, the stock market didn't return to its 1920s levels. Intimidated business leaders hesitated to rehire. Unemployment remained in the teens, a range that would provoke outrage today. Scholars Lee Ohanian of UCLA and Harold Cole of the University of Pennsylvania recently identified one reason for this: Employers couldn't afford the higher wages; therefore, they hired fewer people.

What a shame Burns finds no spare moment to trace these results. Instead, he lavishes many minutes on the Roosevelts' private lives: TR's struggle with the loss of his first wife, FDR's struggle with the crippling effects of polio. Such personal bravery is inspiring but takes viewers hostage. To demand suspension of Roosevelt nostalgia is to risk appearing indifferent to presidential trauma. Some takeaways: Punishing an industry can kill it; class assaults launched in the name of the poor deprive those very poor of jobs. These key points require addressing--perhaps in a documentary.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:07 am

I have donated to Roberto (Beto) O'Rourke in the hope that he will be a Cruz killer. Maybe a 2020 candidate. I don't really see other winners. Maybe Lamb. Not Harris. I would love a powerful woman as a candidate, but Eleanor is dead.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:36 am

ZekeB wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:38 am
TollandRCR wrote:
:yeah:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:01 pm

Politico
Trump embraces red-state Dems as GOP tries to knock them down

President Donald Trump has welcomed senators to celebrate legislative successes even as his own political shop targets them in the midterms.

President Donald Trump has long alternated between being nice to red-state Senate Democrats and punching them in the nose – and as the midterms approach, his muddled strategy is manifesting itself in tensions between key White House offices.

On the one side is the legislative office, which has in the past two weeks welcomed Sen. Heidi Heitkamp of North Dakota and Sen. Joe Donnelly of Indiana – two of the Republican Party’s top targets in the fall – to stand alongside the president at bill-signing ceremonies. On the other is the office of political affairs, which has opposed any move that might help Democrats from states Trump won in 2016.

With a signing event for veterans’ health care legislation planned for next week, people in the White House are waiting to see whether an invitation will be extended to Montana Sen. Jon Tester, the ranking Democrat on the Senate Veterans Affairs committee, who made himself an enemy to Trump by tanking the nomination of White House physician Ronny Jackson for secretary of Veterans Affairs.

Trump himself has veered from welcoming Democrats – most notably when he had Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer and his House counterpart Nancy Pelosi to the White House last year amid debt negotiations – to threatening them. He derided Donnelly as “a really incredible swamp person” during a rally earlier this month in Elkhart, Indiana, for voting with other Democrats against his top legislative priorities, the tax overhaul and opposing Obamacare repeal.

But he’s repeatedly praised Heitkamp, who has crossed the aisle to support Trump’s legislative priorities including the recently passed rollback of banking restrictions. Some Republican groups have shown their support: on Friday, the conservative Koch brothers political network announced it would launch a digital ad campaign in support of Heitkamp’s re-election bid – a move some interpreted as a show of support for legislative affairs head Marc Short, who previously worked for the Koch-funded Freedom Partners group.

“On the one hand, it shows bipartisanship and Trump’s ability to work across the aisle in a constructive way,” said Republican strategist Ron Bonjean. “At the same time, the Senate Democratic leadership would like nothing more than these senators to be reelected this year in order to help them with their efforts to implement a left-wing agenda and to undermine the administration’s long-term goals going into the 2020 cycle.”

¡Sterngard! come home.

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:19 pm

Cincinnati.com OpEd
Republican Heimlich: Why I am voting for Democrats this year

I’ve been a Republican since the 1980s – including 12 years in elected office. But this year, my vote in national races is going to the Democrats.

Here’s why: I’m scared – scared of losing our rights to free speech, fair elections and the rule of law. You see, we’re witnessing a dangerous trend in which dictators come to power in once-promising democracies and crush dissent.

Turkey’s president, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, has shut down 149 media outlets, fired more than 120,000 civil servants and jailed more than 45,000 dissenters.

Philippines leader Rodrigo Duterte encouraged his country’s police to kill more than 12,000 alleged “drug suspects,” and revoked the licenses of TV and radio stations that criticized him.

Vladimir Putin reversed the democratic advances initiated by Mikhail Gorbachev and Boris Yeltsin by cracking down on free radio and television, eliminating the independence of the judiciary and creating a virtual one-party state.

What do these strongmen have in common? They’re deeply admired by our president, Donald Trump. In May, 2017, Trump warmly welcomed Erdogan to the White House (while Erdogan’s security detail beat up peaceful demonstrators outside the Turkish ambassador’s residence).

¡Sterngard! come home.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:14 pm

Rolling Stone Interview
Rep. Mark Sanford: Trumpism Is a 'Cancerous Growth' in the Republican Party ...

You gave a tour of the Capitol the day after losing?
Here's the real kicker. So I'm doing that, and around the corner comes Jeff Flake and his wife. They give me a hug. I had this conversation with Jeff. I was like it was the weirdest race – I've run a lot of races over the years. I've supported the president the bulk of the times. But on a handful of issues I've disagreed based on these principles or these promises or what the voters thought. And [my race] was just: Are you for Trump or against Trump? And he's going, it's completely the same in Arizona. One question: Are you for or against Trump? No gray.

That's the dynamic that you saw in your race – be for or against Trump?
Yes. And that's where the race has big implications well outside of whether I'm a member of Congress or not. I'm not using the cult of personality thing, but you have in my case a guy the Congressional Quarterly rated like 89 percent concurrence (voting with Trump). [Editor's note: Roll Call found that Sanford's percentage was much lower on votes where Trump had a clearly defined stance before the vote.] But basically you have two fascinating components that have come up. One, the president sends out a tweet that's completely not true. And we've become so calloused to what he says or the way he might say it that nobody bats an eye. Nobody even questions the hypothesis of, wait, is that true or not?

"MIA" was the president's tweet.
Missing in action. That's the world in which we're living. What it says, then, is it's clearly not about issues; it's about allegiance to him.

Just this week Chairwoman McDaniel of the RNC put out this tweet that if you're not with the Make America Great Again agenda, you're making a big mistake. So it's spreading.
Yeah, it is metastasizing. That fits exactly what my opponent said in her victory talk back home on Tuesday night. This is the party of Donald J. Trump. Those were her words and I could not more vigorously disagree. It's the party of a lot of people across this country that have worked hard and licked envelopes and stamps and all the things you do in advancing campaigns and the ideas that surround them. It doesn't belong to somebody at the top in Washington D.C. And yet that's what we've morphed into.

It's cultural, attitudinal. You weren't loyal or perceived to be loyal enough.
What it suggests – and this is what the president has at times played to – is the easy answer. And my point there in the talk the other night was: democracy is hard. It's painful. It's cumbersome. It's all those different things. But it is the best system designed by man. The founding fathers did an incredibly great job. And what you see at least within that small group but a group that seems to be metastasizing given the comment you mentioned from the chairwoman of the RNC is "No, we want the easy answer. These institutions, these checks and balances, all of this debate, really hard stuff. Just get something done." Vigorous debate is what our government is built upon. Legislative is a check on the executive, a check on the judicial. That's what the system is built upon. And so I keep going back to the feedback loop that I got in the course of this campaign is tied to something that goes well beyond this campaign in the First District. Do we or don't we believe in dissent? Is it OK?

You used the word metastasize. We use that word for a cancer, a disease. Is that what this allegiance is? Senator Corker called it a cult of personality.
I'm not calling it that but yeah, it is a cancerous growth. The basis on which people's frustrations have been built is real and understandable in the way that at times Washington doesn't work for them or their families and those they love. And I think that again that which gave rise to the Trump phenomenon needs to be acknowledged as real and valid. I think the metastasization component is the way in which at times the president has pandered in his answers suggesting that there's an easy cure.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:24 am

National Journal
The GOP’s Rapid Retreat in the Midwest

Republicans have abandoned Senate races in states Trump carried, and could lose several key governorships as well. Trump’s boasting of crashing the blue wall is rapidly becoming ancient history.

One of the biggest red flags for President Trump’s reelection emerged this week from a region that he can never stop talking about: the Rust Belt. The president still frequently likes to remind reporters about his conventional-wisdom-busting victories in the blue-wall states of Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania, but he isn’t paying attention to how much they’ve reverted to Democratic form lately.

Senate Republicans are all but conceding that Democratic senators will be coasting to reelection in Midwestern states that Trump narrowly carried. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, notably, has left off Democratic seats in Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Ohio when he listed off the most competitive races for this year’s midterms. The Democrats’ leading Senate super PAC, so confident of its prospects in the region, isn’t reserving any time for Sens. Tammy Baldwin, Bob Casey, Debbie Stabenow, or Sherrod Brown.

Meanwhile, Ohio is becoming a major warning sign for the GOP’s fortunes in the upcoming midterms—and beyond. The state backed Trump by a healthy 8-point margin in 2016, fueled by dramatic swings towards Republicans along the blue-collar eastern spine of the state. Trump’s winning margin in bellwether Ohio was nearly identical to his winning margin in ruby-red Texas. Given the promising political trends from Trump’s election, Republicans were hopeful that they could upset Brown and hold the governorship with an established figure like Attorney General Mike DeWine. Early polling showed the Senate race competitive and DeWine holding a healthy lead over the opposition.

But the political movement in Ohio is headed in the opposite direction, even with Trump’s recent uptick in popularity. Trump’s job approval in the state is at 43 percent with 54 percent disapproving, according to a new Quinnipiac survey. Nearly half of respondents to a Suffolk University poll of Ohio voters said their midterm vote would be a check on the president, compared to 28 percent saying their vote would be to support Trump’s agenda. And Brown now holds a commanding double-digit lead over Rep. Jim Renacci in the latest public polls, with Democrat Richard Cordray inching ahead of DeWine.

Governor races in the other Trump states aren’t looking much better. Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker has watched his party lose numerous downballot elections on Trump turf and is openly concerned about the GOP’s standing in the state, despite a lackluster Democratic field against him. Democrats will be aggressively contesting the open Michigan governor’s seat, eager to litigate the record of a Trump-friendly attorney general (Bill Schuette) in a traditionally blue state. Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Wolf is coasting to a second term, with The Cook Political Report changing its rating of the race to Likely Democratic. Cook has also shifted Iowa GOP Gov. Kim Reynolds’s race against businessman Fred Hubbell for a full term from Likely Republican to Toss-Up.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:33 pm

The Democrats may or may not surge in this year's elections, even so they will still not control the Congress, still not be able to impeach Trump, etc.

By 2020 (or maybe by 2024) 'Republican' will be a dirty word and the Democrats will have greased skids for four or five years (not appreciably longer; the voters will figure out that a Democratic Congress with a Democrat in the White House is not a host of Angels presided over by an Archangel).

I keep thinking that the next President, whoever he or she may be, will be spending the first two years, at least, repairing the damage done by Trump before being able to introduce a new agenda.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:55 pm

Two years? More like 20, IMO, if ever (I know, you said "at least"). As long as there is thing called the Republican party strangling whatever good that might be accomplished in DC, we are fucked. IMO

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:55 pm

We'll be screwed for years by Trump's judges, if nothing else.

ImageImageImage x4

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:14 pm

Exactly.

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:01 am

WaPo
‘Today I renounce my membership’: Longtime GOP strategist Steve Schmidt announces he’s leaving the party

Republican strategist Steve Schmidt, a senior adviser to the presidential campaign of Sen. John McCain (Ariz.), announced early Wednesday that he is leaving the Republican Party, which he decried as “fully the party of Trump” and “a danger to our democracy and values.”

In early-morning tweets, Schmidt, a vocal Trump critic, urged voters to elect Democrats in the 2018 midterm elections and harshly criticized the administration’s policy of separating migrant children from their parents at the U.S. border, describing the government-run detention centers as “internment camps for babies.” ...

After Trump’s contentious appearance at the Group of Seven summit in Canada this month, Schmidt condemned Republican Party leaders for not being more critical of the president. On Wednesday, Schmidt doubled down on that criticism, saying that with the exception of Republican governors Charlie Baker of Massachusetts, Larry Hogan of Maryland and John Kasich of Ohio, the Republican Party is “filled with feckless cowards who disgrace and dishonor the legacies of the party’s greatest leaders.”

All three governors have denounced the Trump administration’s separation policy. ...

“The first step to a season of renewal in our land is the absolute and utter repudiation of Trump and his vile enablers in the 2018 election by electing Democratic majorities,” Schmidt added.

¡Sterngard! come home.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:05 am

Schmidt is a powerful voice. He is intelligent, well educated and speaks with a conviction that is unique. I love his appearances on MSNBC, but I wish he was seen and heard more broadly.

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill! I believe Dr. Ford!

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:13 am

TexasFilly wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:05 am
Schmidt is a powerful voice. He is intelligent, well educated and speaks with a conviction that is unique. I love his appearances on MSNBC, but I wish he was seen and heard more broadly.
Steve Schmidt is intelligent, well-educated, and speaks with a conviction that is unique. This disqualifies him from being a powerful voice in today's Republican Party.

"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:14 am

TexasFilly wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:05 am
:like:

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:34 am

WaPo - Amber Phillips
On immigration, Trump is making life absolutely miserable for Republicans in Congress

President Trump couldn't have handed Republicans in Congress a more politically perilous or miserable situation to deal with if he tried.

Less than five months before an election where Republicans in Congress are at risk of losing one or both chambers, they are thrust into trying to come up with an emergency fix to a politically unpopular, potential humanitarian crisis on the border that was manufactured by their party's leader. ...

“We've wrestled with this issue for a decade,” Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) pointed out Tuesday.

McConnell has been reluctant all year to dabble in immigration. He views it as a no-win situation for his vulnerable Republican incumbents, like Sen. Dean Heller (R-Nev.), who are trying to hang on in blue-leaning states in an already tough election year for Republicans.

But immigration is exactly what he's having to focus the Senate on again thanks to Trump. He'd much rather be spending the Senate's dwindling time approving Trump's judges or preparing spending bills for a September budget battle. (A budget battle that could turn into yet another shutdown on Republicans' watch, just before the midterms, if Trump vetoes a bill that doesn't have enough funding for his border wall.)

All of this combined ranks as one of McConnell's worst legislative nightmares. It's House Republican leaders' worst legislative nightmare, too. And it's entirely manufactured by Trump, who is — purposefully or not — sabotaging on a near daily basis Congress's efforts to fix the problems he created.

¡Sterngard! come home.

much ado

Post by much ado » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:55 pm

Addie wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:01 am
WaPo
‘Today I renounce my membership’: Longtime GOP strategist Steve Schmidt announces he’s leaving the party

:snippity:

“The first step to a season of renewal in our land is the absolute and utter repudiation of Trump and his vile enablers in the 2018 election by electing Democratic majorities,” Schmidt added.
Did you get the memo Steve? It's time to form a new conservative party in the United States.

Return to “Elections 2018”