Trump effect - Energized Dems

Suranis

Re: Trump effect - Energized Dems

Post by Suranis » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:00 am

Lets get the midterms over us before spending energy agonizing about who Superman will be, hmm?
Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

much ado

Post by much ado » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:45 am

Suranis wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:00 am
Lets get the midterms over us before spending energy agonizing about who Superman will be, hmm?
Good plan.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:04 pm

Every locked door has a key. - Emika Chen

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:10 pm

Shoes for Industry, compadre!
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

kate520

Post by kate520 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:55 pm

I’m in Western NC, college town, we’re with all musicians.

We haven’t heard a single good word about our OSG.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

woodworker

Post by woodworker » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:35 am

pipistrelle wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:29 pm
RoadScholar wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:39 am
My list has only one entry:

1) DEMOCRATS TO THE POLLS.
In theory, good, but that Wisconsin story makes me think there was some vote meddling.
I think there was a lot of vote meddling and voter suppression. The first one I base on the significant differences between the exit polls and the actual polls and the disclosure by the Feds that, IIRC, at least six states voter systems were hacked. That also I believe shows up in the number of voters purged, some intentionally by the republicans and some, I believe, as the result of hacks and resulting manipulation.

I truly do not believe the reported numbers and I truly believe HRC won. I could be persuaded otherwise, but day after day we hear about more evidence of voting tampering.
Pence / Haley -- 2020 "I Won't Call Her Mother" and "We Will Be The Best Team Ever, But Never Alone Together"

woodworker

Post by woodworker » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:39 am

TollandRCR wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:21 am
It is almost that simple, RoadScholsr, with one qualification: the Democrats need candidates for whom people want to vote. It is not clear to me who that will be for the presidency in 2020.

Former Vice president Biden? He is really old. Bullock of Montana? Same ideas, wrong name recognition? Sen. Warren? Almost as old as Biden.

But the presumed opponent,Trump, will also be old in 2020. Is there no one younger in the Democrstic Party who can beat that fool?
I am not as worried about who will be our nominee in 2020. After all, at the same point in 2006, I don't seem to recall Barack Obama being recognized as the unstoppable force that he became and I suspect all of the "smart" money then was on HRC. I know I wasn't arguing with my dad about Obama until March or April of 2008 (I favored Obama, he favored HRC, I told him he was a bigot -- he voted for Obama in the general).
Pence / Haley -- 2020 "I Won't Call Her Mother" and "We Will Be The Best Team Ever, But Never Alone Together"

woodworker

Post by woodworker » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:12 am

RoadScholar wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:28 am
TollandRCR wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:21 am
It is almost that simple, RoadScholsr, with one qualification: the Democrats need candidates for whom people want to vote. It is not clear to me who that will be for the presidency in 2020.

Former Vice president Biden? He is really old. Bullock of Montana? Same ideas, wrong name recognition? Sen. Warren? Almost as old as Biden.

But the presumed opponent,Trump, will also be old in 2020. Is there no one younger in the Democrstic Party who can beat that fool?
Are you kidding? I’d vote for a Labradoodle if it ran as a Democrat rather than vote for the lying racist adulterous deadbeat con man who usurped the presidency with the help of the Kremlin.

No matter who runs, it would be mathematically impossible for him or her to be less qualified, less capable, and more damaging to the nation, than Trump.
I would vote for one of them tiny yappy dogs. Sure, the make a lot of noise, but they also make more sense than that pendejo in the White House, and Trump also too.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:21 am

After all, at the same point in 2006, I don't seem to recall Barack Obama being recognized as the unstoppable force that he became and I suspect all of the "smart" money then was on HRC.
Oh hell yes. And the entire Republican Party was drooling over the chance to smear Hillary in the general election. Even when she fell seriously behind the black man, everyone thought she'd manage to come back and beat him, until May or June.
Every locked door has a key. - Emika Chen

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:23 am

woodworker wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:35 am
pipistrelle wrote:
RoadScholar wrote:

In theory, good, but that Wisconsin story makes me think there was some vote meddling.
I think there was a lot of vote meddling and voter suppression. The first one I base on the significant differences between the exit polls and the actual polls and the disclosure by the Feds that, IIRC, at least six states voter systems were hacked. That also I believe shows up in the number of voters purged, some intentionally by the republicans and some, I believe, as the result of hacks and resulting manipulation.

I truly do not believe the reported numbers and I truly believe HRC won. I could be persuaded otherwise, but day after day we hear about more evidence of voting tampering.
:like:
ImageImageImage x4

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:23 am

CNN Key Races: Path to House majority comes into focus as a dozen races move toward Democrats ...

Democrats hold a clear advantage when it comes to enthusiasm about voting this fall. Roughly two-thirds of Democratic voters say they have a high level of interest in the elections, according to a recent NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll. That compares with 49% of Republicans who say they have a high level of interest.

Democratic engagement is also showing up in fundraising, with more than 70 Democratic challengers outraising Republican opponents in the 95 House races CNN rates as competitive this cycle.
IA-03 Race moves from Lean Republican to Toss-Up

FL-13 Race moves from Likely Democratic to Solid Democratic

ME-02 Race moves from Lean Republican to Toss-Up

OH-12 Race moves from Lean Republican to Toss-Up

PA-16 Race moves from Solid Republican to Likely Republican

PA-17 Race moves from Toss-Up to Lean Democratic

SC-01 Race moves from Solid Republican to Likely Republican

TX-07 Race moves from Lean Republican to Toss-Up

VA-02 Race moves from Lean Republican to Toss-Up

VA-07 Race moves from Lean Republican to Toss-Up

WV-03 Race moves from Likely Republican to Toss-Up

WI-03 Race moves from Likely Democratic to Solid Democratic
Democracy is a garden that has to be tended. -Barack Obama

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:26 pm

Axios
Democratic website raises $1 billion for candidates, causes

Online fundraising site ActBlue has passed the $1 billion mark in a fundraising campaign for Democratic candidates and causes in this election cycle, USA Today reports.

Why it matters: This is a clear illustration of some of the energy in the Democratic party for the 2018 midterms. Per USA Today, it took the site almost 12 years to first raise the same amount of money — from June 2004 to August 2016 — and it's expected to surpass $1.5 billion by the end of the year.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:30 pm

woodworker wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:35 am
pipistrelle wrote:
RoadScholar wrote:

HRC did win, but we don't have a democratic decision process. I don't know whether she would have won in the Electoral College without Russian and Republican skulduggery. I guess yes.

Be careful about arguing that exit polls provide the right numbers. We have yet to get Republicans to stop at those booths in the rght proportions, and it is really hard to correct for this.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:15 am

She lost 3 states by less than 70000 voters total. Of course she would have won.
Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

tencats

Post by tencats » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:00 pm

Trump may not be enough to swing Latino turnout Democrats' way
Tue August 7, 2018 https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/07/politics ... index.html
(CNN)Democrats have hit an unexpected speed bump in their drive to regain control of Congress: unsettling signs that the party may not generate as much turnout or support among Latino voters this fall as it expected.

Despite a procession of provocations from President Donald Trump -- from ending deportation protections for so-called "Dreamers," young immigrants brought to the country illegally by their parents, to his now-terminated policy that resulted in children being separated from their undocumented parents at the border -- a growing number of Democratic strategists are privately concerned that their candidates are not consolidating Latino support as much as they anticipated in several key races.
:snippity:
Yet virtually everyone on both sides of this Democratic debate agrees on one point: Despite all his confrontational rhetoric and policies, Trump alone appears unlikely to reverse the usual falloff in Hispanic turnout during midterm elections, and he may not even widen the typical Democratic advantage among them in their vote preferences.
:snippity:
Moreover, Amandi says, even Trump's belligerent style has found an audience among some Latinos, especially older men: "He's in the strongman tradition of the Latin American caudillo."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/07/politics ... index.html

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:36 pm

100,000 more people voted in the Michigan Democratic primaries today than the Goopers.
I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill! I believe Dr. Ford!

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:58 am

https://www.cookpolitical.com/ratings/h ... ce-ratings
2018 House Race Ratings Aug 8, 2018

SOLID SEATS

D - 181
R - 153
Click on bars to see solid seats breakdown
LIKELY/LEAN SEATS

D - 11
R - 52

TOSS-UP OR WORSE

D - 3
R - 35

Likely : These seats are not considered competitive at this point, but have the potential to become engaged.

Lean : These are considered competitive races, but one party has an advantage.

Toss-Up : These are the most competitive; either party has a good chance of winning.
Chart with colors and names at link.
“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:22 am

Independent: Midterms 2018: Boost for Democrats as swing states see extraordinary voter turnout in primaries

Republican votes outnumbered by more than 250,000 in Minnesota, according to unofficial figures

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:37 am

Addie wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:22 am
Independent: Midterms 2018: Boost for Democrats as swing states see extraordinary voter turnout in primaries

Republican votes outnumbered by more than 250,000 in Minnesota, according to unofficial figures
I saw this effect at my precinct in a solid blue district. I've voted in every single election but one since I was old enough to vote. National, local, primaries - and I never saw the precinct that busy for a mid term before, and especially for a primary.
I've heard this bull before.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:41 am

Wonderful, Deja :-D

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:26 am

NBC News: Ahead of midterms, Democrats lead in cash, candidates and voters

As the runners near the 2018 vote, metrics show clear trends — an enthusiastic electorate, a diverse pool of candidates and an advantage for Democrats.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:12 pm

The Hill
Primary turnout soars in 2018 with Dems leading charge

More than 40 million Americans voted in primaries this year, a staggering increase from four years ago and a sign of virtually unprecedented voter enthusiasm ahead of the midterm elections.

Through Thursday’s vote in New York, more than 22.7 million Democrats had cast ballots in party primaries, compared with just 13.8 million in 2014.

Political scientists say the higher turnout among primary electorates is a sign that voters across the spectrum are more excited to take part in the midterms than in previous years. Some said higher participation in Democratic primaries should worry Republicans, who already face a challenging midterm cycle.

“The surge in Democratic primary turnout shows that the party’s occasional voters are energized, which is an especially encouraging sign in a midterm because so many of these voters sit out anything but a presidential race,” said Thad Kousser, who heads the political science department at the University of California-San Diego.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:39 pm

Antonio
@AntonioArellano
The Author of the Bathroom bill in the Texas House
@RonSimmonsTexas
LOST his re-election.
:happydance: :dogballoon: :bunny: :happyfamily: :fiesta: :fiesta:
“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

Return to “Elections 2018”