The Blue Wave

NotaPerson

The Blue Wave

Post by NotaPerson »

Earlier tonight I started a topic titled "The Blue Trickle." I confess I had started to freak out, because of what I saw happening in Florida. Sorry about that. :bag: I deleted it a while later.

Now over two hours later it's clear enough that there has in fact been a Blue Wave. It's not as strong as what we had hoped for, but a lot of good things happened for us tonight.

And now Beto has no commitments for the next couple of years. :-D

Anyway, thought I'd start a thread for us to just spill our thoughts on it.

I'm still processing it. Still shocked that DeSantis actually won. But overall, I'm feeling pretty damn good about what's happening. Beto came a lot closer to winning than I thought he would.
Am I being detained?
SLQ

Re: The Blue Wave

Post by SLQ »

It's a Blue Wave of the good ole California variety, which is good enough for me:

I'm OK that it's not the Bonzai Pipeline:

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda
Mr Pfister

Post by Mr Pfister »

Voter suppression was clearly a factor. It appears to have worked in GA.

But still, it could be so much worse.

The King of Voter Suppression had his ass handed to him tonight and that is pretty sweet.

Pretty tough to spin a solid "red win" tonight ...

Way more "Blue" than "Red"

Now if we can find a way for "We The People" to win, that will be bigly.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

SLQ

Post by SLQ »

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/election-day-2018/h_203ab83dc095a8193da5a127161f4ad7 wrote:Pelosi to Democrats: "Thanks to you tomorrow will be a new day in America"
“Thanks to you we owned the ground,” she told those assembled Democrats, “thanks to you tomorrow will be a new day in America.”
-- Yoda
SLQ

Post by SLQ »

Pelosi to Democrats: "Thanks to you tomorrow will be a new day in America"
“Thanks to you we owned the ground,” she told those assembled Democrats, “thanks to you tomorrow will be a new day in America.”
-- Yoda
SLQ

Post by SLQ »

Turtle wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:01 am
Yabbut, Trump stumped where he knew he was welcome.
-- Yoda
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

I am looking forward to Adam Schiff running the House Intelligence Committee. I hope he calls that little shit Devin Nunes on the carpet.
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016
NotaPerson

The Blue Wave

Post by NotaPerson »

Some shitty news flowing in now. Duncan Hunter and Chris Collins, both of whom are under federal indictment, won re-election.

And Steve King won. Fucking Steve King.

:madguy:
Am I being detained?
kate520

Post by kate520 »

Tell me again what happens when Hunter is convicted?
DEFEND DEMOCRACY
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

NotaPerson wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:52 am Some shitty news flowing in now. Duncan Hunter and Chris Collins, both of whom are under federal indictment, won re-election.

This just shows how Faux Noise has been so effective. Years and years of demonizing Democrats create a situation where seemingly intelligent people can simply ignore the fact of actual corruption and criminality in a Republican candidate doesn't even register, while they firmly believe that a candidate is corrupt and criminal simply because of the D after their name. We see the same damn thing in Florida. Rick Scott, who presided over a company that was singular in it's scope and breadth of Medicare fraud, became Governor for two terms and now will be a goddam Senator and probably impossible to unseat.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage
bob

Post by bob »

kate520 wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:53 am Tell me again what happens when Hunter is convicted?
Technically, nothing.

But he'll resign because'll it takes 292 members to expel him. And there'll be at least 60+ Republicans willing to chuck him.

And then the voters will elect another Republican to replace him.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2
Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 »

NotaPerson wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:52 am Some shitty news flowing in now. Duncan Hunter and Chris Collins, both of whom are under federal indictment, won re-election.

Steve King will be an excellent racist poster boy. It is probably better for the Democrats that he is still around so they can poke him with a stick and get him to say racist shit on slow news days.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Dan1100 wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:29 am

Steve King will be an excellent racist poster boy. It is probably better for the Democrats that he is still around so they can poke him with a stick and get him to say racist shit on slow news days.
I thought that was going to be Trump's job now.
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

I didn't want to start a whole new thread. Florida wasn't ALL bad news. Voters decided to restore voting rights to felons that have completed their sentences. Some of you may remember that Skeletor set up a commission of four, including himself, that held hearings to decide whether a person's voting rights could be restored. It was completely arbitrary and they did not have to give any reason for their decision. Eventually they were required by a judge to establish actual criteria and to apply it across the board, regardless of the race of the person applying for voting rights restoration. Of course, they appealed that decision and won a reprieve, so they continued restoring rights arbitrarily and very infrequently.

No more. Voters decided YES on Amendment Four and now voting rights will be automatically restored when the person completes their sentence. A bright spot in a dismal night.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage
Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 »

This is a thread, complete with screenshots and snark, of all the candidates that Trump endorsed that got their asses kicked.

https://twitter.com/missmayn/status/1059970926563930112

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl »

Some of the election results are heartbreaking, but check out this list. This is a Very Big Deal and is a true blue wave.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford »

Not technically a "Blue Wave" thing, because it's a nonpartisan race, but -

A very talented young woman (who I happened to go to law school with and admire greatly) just beat a multi-term incumbent in the Maui County Council race.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Think global, act local.

:like:
Jez

Post by Jez »

It is probably a good thing that is appears the Dems have taken the House back. The padding of the Senate breaks my heart. Once again, the Idiocracy has voted against their own interests.

I really need to get two more jobs, save every penny, get out of debt and move out of what is becoming a shit hole third world country. That is how depressed this entire mockery of everything I love about this country is making me. I am seriously looking at ways to get out of here and move to somewhere a bit more civilized.
I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Scrolling through the TV news channels (CNN, Fox, MSNBC, Bloomberg, et al), the post mortem begins. Many are giving Trump credit for energizing the GOP base with his inflammatory rhetoric bringing them to the polls, and preventing a Blue Wave. He's going to spin this election as his victory.
ZekeB
Location: The nuttiest congressional district of a nut job state.

Post by ZekeB »

Appropriations must start in the House, I believe, Kiss that wall goodbye, Mr. Racist. At least there will be a bridle placed on the unbridled nutjob bills.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Post by Dr. Kenneth Noisewater »

Bill_G wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:12 am Scrolling through the TV news channels (CNN, Fox, MSNBC, Bloomberg, et al), the post mortem begins. Many are giving Trump credit for energizing the GOP base with his inflammatory rhetoric bringing them to the polls, and preventing a Blue Wave. He's going to spin this election as his victory.
TV is already claiming the democrats who voted against Kavanaugh lost because of their vote
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Fox and Friends struggling to spin this positive. Compared to how many house seats other presidents have lost in mid terms, etc.
Mr Pfister

Post by Mr Pfister »

ZekeB wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:17 am Appropriations must start in the House, I believe, Kiss that wall goodbye, Mr. Racist. At least there will be a bridle placed on the unbridled nutjob bills.
Speaking of The House, can we PLEASE get fresh leadership?

(Didn't we just elect not one but TWO Native WOMEN?)

If the TV gets to start on with "Pelosi Pelosi Pelosi" then what has actually changed in the eyes of those who don't actually pay attention to politics on the regular?

I think that sound bite woke me last nite ...

The D's need SERIOUS rebranding and "so far" they are making gains

If all those who had to be pried off the couch see "same ol same ol" on the tube that's not going to help. Yes, that's not how leadership decisions "should" be driven, but what has gone "as it should ..." in any of our recent electoral processes?

One can hope

Return to “Elections 2018”