I Voted 2018! Voter Check In, Election Watch and Poll Conditions

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Re: I Voted 2018! Voter Check In, Election Watch and Poll Conditions

Post by Flatpointhigh » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:55 am

I VOTED!!!
IMG_1709.jpg
:like: :like: :shootin: :shootin: :shootin: :flag: :flag: :happyfamily: :happyfamily: :happyfamily:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My Name is...
Daffy Duck.. woo hoo!
Cancer broke me

tek

Post by tek » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:22 am

i105.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's no way back
from there to here

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:23 am

My precinct is usually a pretty dead place. I always vote fairly early on Election Day and I’m usually something like #12. Today I was #71 @ 8:30 but there were no other voters inside when I went in but me. I talked to the one and only lady out front passing out sample Republican ballots among a bunch of Kaine & William’s signs, she was very nice even after I declined her sample ballot and said it had been a slower than they expected morning but that it was still early and still a very small precinct.

I was VERY impressed to see two young black kids checking ID’s and passing out ballots. That is a first for my voting place! It’s usually the same two old white ladies every single voting year.

MrDaisy and I are taking the afternoon shift with local Dems driving folks who need rides to their various polling places. I hope we get a good turnout!
Birfers are toast

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:33 am

Done!

I did go against the party on a constitutional amendment. The question was whether there should be a partial tax exemption for real property subject to recurring flooding so long as there is flood abatement in place. I have mixed feelings about it, but in the end I said no. In the decades to come there is going to be more flooding, not less. And the flood abatement that works this year might not work next year. My personal preference would be to discourage people from living in areas prone to flooding. I get why the party wants it, and I won’t be disappointed if it passes, I just couldn’t vote for it.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

listeme

Post by listeme » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:54 am

10 am at tiny Troy ME town office -- and there was a line!

I dunno what it means. Everyone was friendly. I got my sticker.
We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:55 am

I voted. I was number 127 at my precinct and didn't get there particularly early. Got my fingers crossed. Voted DEM all the way. Every. Last. One. Sorry, Republicans, you did it to yourselves. Cured me, probably forever.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:58 am

I just voted with my 80-year old Aunt. Together we are most likely the only straight-Dem voters in village. Maybe the only Dems!

jmj

Post by jmj » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:28 am

My wife and I voted before work today. There was not much of a line, which surprised me a little bit. Now to wait....

kate520

Post by kate520 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:06 pm

Working at my polling place today. Opened at 7, there was a line of 15. This is our first lull, 2 hours in. 125 voters processed in two hours!

That’s more than came through ALL DAY in 2016! WooHoo!
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Clairez

Post by Clairez » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:08 pm

My husband and I both voted. Got my son and his fiancee up and to the polls with bribes of bakery goods and oj and coffee. My other never voted millennial called and asked a question about a ballot initiative and now is on her way to the polls. This is Indiana so I'm not sure if it is a good sign that the polling place looked like a presidential election rather than a mid-term but there was about a 40 minute wait, which if you live in the boondocks is very unusual. Also people politicking for Democrats right outside the hundred foot limit which I have never seen before. :lovestruck:

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:09 pm

It was about usual at 7:00 am this morning.

We had a 16 page ballot a minimum wage initiatives and a couple of school / community college funding referendums. Yes, yes, yes.

Most of it was for retention of circuit court judges.

OK, I'm bad.
I know for a fact thst there are people who always vote yes to retain every single judge. Adolf Hitler could be a judge and they'd still vote yes. So I vote no, just to neutralize that. (I can't ever remember any judge ever not getting retained.)

And what the hell took that one woman next to me so long? Three people voted on the machine next to her and she's still staring at it.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:30 pm

W2 and I used our free Uber ride to the polls, worked smoothly. (It’s really a $10 off coupon, but it’s less than that to get to the location.)

They were prepared for lines out the door using plenty of signs and hallways. Twice the volunteers as during the primary. We went at 10:00, so we skipped the early rush and beat the noon rush. No line to vote. However, Maine is a same-day registration state and there was a 10 person line to register. Very diverse considering Maine is the whitest state in the US — several black families and a woman in an exquisite embroidered chador-type covering.

3 ballots. One for the ranked-choice candidates (US Senate and House), the state offices and ballot questions, and one for the district races and ballot questions.

Then we took a lovely walk back. Beat the rain. :thumbs:
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

bjd

Post by bjd » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:07 pm

Voted midday in Central Florida and was disheartened that no one was in line, I just walked in. In 2008 and 2012 the lines were very long. A poll worker did say people were coming in waves, so maybe I shouldn't read too much into the lack of voters. As I was leaving the polling place, a woman easily in her 90's using a walker was slowly progressing into the precinct, which was nice to see and I don't even care how she voted.

TheNewSaint

Post by TheNewSaint » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:25 pm

Chilidog wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:09 pm
I know for a fact thst there are people who always vote yes to retain every single judge. So I vote no, just to neutralize that. (I can't ever remember any judge ever not getting retained.)
IMO there's rarely a good reason to remove them. Unless the bar association rates them poorly, or they've committed a public act that renders them unfit to judge, I keep them.
This bramble need not be traversed.

June bug

Post by June bug » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:35 pm

I voted just after 7am this morning. Did it at the clubhouse in our neighborhood right after my morning workout. Not crowded but this is an over-55 community so many people may vote absentee. Got my sticker, which was great, cuz I never got one in Hawaii when I voted there! :thumbs:

My hubs says the sticker should say "I vetoed" since he hopes our votes will help veto the Repubs! :lol:

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:43 pm

Reporting for duty! Voted at my tiny Upstate NY polling place. Two minutes, only seven columns. Did not vote for Cuomo for gov. Would I if he were at risk of losing? Dunno.

Now off to spend the afternoon at an even tinier Upstate NY polling place as a poll worker. People better keep their mouths shut, as I'm in a mood (both my generators failed within five minutes of one another, and it's been rainy/cloudy for days, so the solar is drained too. Pfff).
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:47 pm

I talked my mother into not voting. She's usually a straight Republican voter. I've been giving her example after example after example of how Republicans in the Florida legislature and at the Federal level are harming me. I can't get her to vote Dem, but at least I got her to not vote. She is set for the rest of her life and has nothing to lose, but I do. So, thank goodness there will be one less Republican vote in our county in Florida.
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

ObjectiveDoubter

Post by ObjectiveDoubter » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:57 pm

Reporting in, as requested.

I voted at 7:45 a.m. PST. I stood in line for 40 minutes this morning at Millikan Middle School, Sherman Oaks, CA. (At the pink table; there were 5 precincts in the gym, voting, color-coded.)

Coulda been there at 6:55. My mistake was going to Starbucks first. I got to the polls at 7:05. The masses had arrived at 7:00.

People talking in line about the California Jungle Primary and while it's stupid, the stupidest thing (which is saying a lot) is that even if a candidate gets 50% + 1 in the Primary, there is still a run-off.

foilwatcher

Post by foilwatcher » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:06 pm

"Well la de freakin' da!" ~~ Matt Foley

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:05 pm

A good sign: my son and my niece, who have never voted, voted. Both posted on FB. Both voted democratic (per their comments to me separately.)
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

bob

Post by bob » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:07 pm

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

TheNewSaint

Post by TheNewSaint » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:32 pm

SLQ wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:05 pm
A good sign: my son and my niece, who have never voted, voted.
I have a feeling that milennials will be out in force this election. They're reaching the age where they start having elected officials. And they might have something to say to an older generation that's made their lives difficult, while simultaneously accusing them of being the problem.
This bramble need not be traversed.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:49 pm

TheNewSaint wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:32 pm
SLQ wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:05 pm
A good sign: my son and my niece, who have never voted, voted.
I have a feeling that milennials will be out in force this election. They're reaching the age where they start having elected officials. And they might have something to say to an older generation that's made their lives difficult, while simultaneously accusing them of being the problem.
The sad thing is that I believe they are completely justified if this is what they think. And I am hoping they will come out and vote in droves to "show us".
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:26 pm

My son voted. He also voted in 2016, a week after his 18th birthday.

One of his girl friends in college made him re-register even though he didn't have to.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:27 pm

OMG!! You’ll never guess who just called me!! Barack Obama! He wants me to go vote for Gerry Connelly (which I already did). I tried to interrupt him to tell him what a great president I thought he was, and how honored I was by the fact that he was calling me personally, but he must not have been able to hear me. He just kept on talking.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Elections 2018”