2018 campaign ideas

pipistrelle

2018 campaign ideas

Post by pipistrelle » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:32 pm

Let's figure out some strategies and messaging that may work with those on the fence (those on the other side appear to be lost).

I don't like negative campaigning myself. But how about:

We/I stand for:

Affordable health care for you and your family
Your rights—including your right to vote
Open, transparent government
Jobs
A strong and resilient middle class and the economy that goes with it
etc.

They/he/she stands for [making sure it's stuff they've voted for or supported]:

Separating children and breaking up families
Taking dental care away from our service men and women
Making it harder for you to vote [let's make it clear it's about all of us, not the "other"]
Making the rich even richer
Bankrupting our great nation
Weakening our economy
Weakening the alliances with countries that support us [during terrorist attacks, wildfires, etc.]
Shrinking the middle class, the backbone of our prosperity
An isolated, disrespected America
Childish attacks [okay, not a good one but I'm sick of them]
Etc.

Put the party platform in easily digested bullet points that resonate (yeah, these ain't it but you get the idea).

Foggy

Re: 2018 campaign ideas

Post by Foggy » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:54 pm

:clap:

Excellent.

Welcome, seeker! There's a seeker born every minute!

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:56 pm

"Terror must be maintained or the Empire is doomed."

-Evil Spock

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:11 pm

Dan1100 wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:56 pm
Orlylicious posted a good list http://www.thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopi ... ap#p995265
That's a platform. I'm talking about creative ideas to bring that home to people. Visuals, phrases, etc., that could catch on, that make people realize that FAKE NEWS could be more real than is comfortable. Ads, billboards, radio spots, bumper stickers. The current emails I get are mostly about fear and assume I'm already on the right side. Let's assume people are confused about the evil baby-killing Democrats and need to know what the Democrats actually do. In short, catchy, memorable, reality-based snippets, because sadly we are veering toward post-/non-literacy.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:50 pm

Probably about 4 or 6 weeks ago I saw a campaign mentioned in the news about a Democrat - darn!, I forgot to save a link - but he was contrasting himself to the Republican candidate by saying he was for family values, then talking about what Democrats do for families whereas the Republicans separate them, and how he was for fiscal responsibility (I forget his example) whereas the Republicans did the tax law which gave money to the rich and wildly increased the deficit.

There are certain issues the Democrats can run on - education, family values, training for jobs, health care, positioning social security for the future, rational gun control - where they can make excellent comparisons between them and the Republicans. They need to provide clear examples of issues that their voters will prefer their positions to the Republicans'. Always stressing their common sense solutions compared to the America-harming positions of their competitors.

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:44 pm

And economics. The economy ALWAYS does better under Democrats.

Welcome, seeker! There's a seeker born every minute!

NotaPerson

Post by NotaPerson » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:16 pm

- A government that works for all Americans, not just the rich.

- Taking America forward rather than backward.

- Working across party lines, because we're all Americans.

I know, that last one probably made some of your eyes roll. But you asked for ideas on how to persuade those who are "on the fence," and I imagine many of these folks would respond well to hearing that from the Dems. They are a small portion of the population (10% maybe), but we definitely need as many of them as we can get.

Am I being detained?

Danraft

Post by Danraft » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:16 am

. Good to see! This is informal right? Along the lines of "Brainstorming" wherein one can float an idea or twenty to see what resonates?
A.
IMG_0434.JPG
Notice that? How could you not? it's time to share with Republicans some facts that are very well documented.

Their elected representative that actually are supposed to work for the people, don't.

They work for the Party and vote against the people who elected them.
Sekrit Stuffs!
(Show details about what, by survey, Americans wanted, and how their representatives voted: Tax reform--wasn't on the top ten list, but Republicans gave the uber wealthy a break- so fiscally irresponsible that now our deficit will be larger than ever- so they then want to take money from the people most in need; health care-- by survey, Americans wanted it, voted down; gun safety,, there is not a shortage here. It's time to yank the rug out from under them, they are leaning out way too much)
Then explain that it's because they "rigged the system" so that they almost can't lose, so they don't need to listen to the people anymore.

That now that " Constitutional" Republican nominated Supreme Court judges made Corporations People, Republicans want to loosen controls so some of the radical conservative friends in broadcast media so that the voter's TV stations wouldn't show them what we are showing them.
I would suggest calling for an "informed electorate", what the Republicans are truly afraid of and spend millions on misleading Americans every year.
Explain that Elected Officials should be held to the fire for lying and serving other masters than their American citizens.

Then, (show a list of all the graft that Cohen arranged from companies just to set up a meeting for Trump.)

Do this.
And, Since you already mentioned all the things that the people want but wont get voted on, healthcare, gun safety, etc...
that's all.
Coast to Coast. Local and National. (One template, bookends, and put changing filler in. The visuals should steal the Republicsan icons)
One Message, "The Republicans don't represent Americans." (Don't need to mention Russia. It will say itself.)

Don't just Vote. "Select who will vote for YOU on what matters, it's their job"
The article for the image is https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... 56f5d0099e
The informed electorate is what I'm all about. And, the seed for "Don't just vote..." is from that India did in 2006 to fight the mis-information.. similar to what I am working on... it changed India and saved the world's largest democracy.
The site is at MumbaiVotes.com
Sekrit Stuffs!
I've got lots more on things to run with. But, why dilute this? I think it's enough.
From the article. ( if you don't read or support the Brookings Institute, please examine them.)

This astonishing chart shows how moderate Republicans are an endangered species
By Christopher Ingraham
June 2, 2015
Email the author
Political scientists have known for years that political polarization is largely a one-sided phenomenon: in recent decades the Republican Party has moved to the right much faster than Democrats have moved to the left. As Thomas Mann of the Brookings Institution has described it, "Republicans have become a radical insurgency—ideologically extreme, contemptuous of the inherited policy regime, scornful of compromise, unpersuaded by conventional understanding of facts, evidence, and science; and dismissive of the legitimacy of their political opposition."

The data backing this claim up are pretty solid. The most widely-used measure of political polarization, a score of ideology based on voting developed by Kenneth Poole and Howard Rosenthal, has shown that the Republicans in the Senate and especially the House have drifted away from the center far more rapidly than Democrats. The chart below, taken from the most recent slice of their data released just last month,
Right around 1975, the Republican party sharply turned away from the center line and hasn't looked back. The Democrats have been drifting away from the center too, but nowhere near as quickly.

Every once in awhile an op-ed writer will come along and make a qualitative argument along the lines of "no, really, it's the Democrats who are polarizing!" Peter Wehner, a former official in three previous Republican presidential administrations, did just that in the pages of the New York Times last week. His argument amounts to the notion that since President Obama has pursued some policies that are more liberal than Bill Clinton's, "the Democratic Party has moved substantially further to the left than the Republican Party has shifted to the right."

Well, no -- just look at the chart above! Here's another way of looking at it: How many moderates are in each party? Here's another interesting chart from the Poole-Rosenthal data, showing the number of House members in each party who are not centrists -- that is, whose ideological scores put them on the more extreme ends of the partisan scale.

As you can see, in the most recent Congress nearly 90 percent of Republican House members are not politically moderate. By contrast, 90 percent of Democratic members are moderates. It's quite difficult to square a chart like this with a claim that Democrats are abandoning the center faster than Republicans. As the chart shows, there are plenty of centrist Democrats left in the House -- but hardly any centrist Republicans.

It's worth pointing out that none of this is happening in a vacuum -- House Republicans are become more extreme because Republican voters are electing more extreme candidates. We see many of these same patterns playing out among the electorate as well, as a massive Pew Research Study demonstrated last year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The Mercury Project

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:19 am

These are all great ideas. Keep them coming. And how can we get someone to act on at least some of them?

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:24 am

NotaPerson wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:16 pm
- Working across party lines, because we're all Americans.

I know, that last one probably made some of your eyes roll.
It didn't make my eyes roll. With fine tuning and the right imagery and/or music, that's a great message.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:54 am

I will say:

In my area, Democratic messaging is hammering home health care health care health care, with lots of messaging about families.

Republican messaging is all scary, with doom-y music, dark lighting, and dread.

The one leaves me with hope and a feeling of there's work to be done that can be done.

The other leaves me feeling dread, but not of what they want. Like itching powder.

None of the ads is specific, primarily positive vs. negative.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:55 am

Also, notably the Republican candidates aren't touting any accomplishments I can see. I haven't seen anything yet about tax cuts.

(Caveat: I rarely watch TV, and never mainstream TV.)

Return to “Elections 2018”