2017, 2018 Political Typology Reports

TollandRCR

Re: Pew: Beyond Red and Blue: 2017 Political Typology Report

Post by TollandRCR » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:09 am

Thanks to both Starti and Mike. I wish that this discussion would expand to much of TFB. We simply cannot let the Democratic Party decline into a cult.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:38 am

June bug wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:43 pm
TheNewSaint wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:33 pm
I got Solid Liberal. The questions were either-or choice, and instructions said "pick the closest", so my answers were more liberal than I really am. For a test called "beyond red and blue", it sure doesn't give you any purple options.
I also came out as a Solid Liberal but, like The New Saint, I found the either-or format restrictive.
It's a terrible format. Your choices are diplomacy or military. What about diplomacy supported by a strong military? The way this is set up you're far right or far left on each issue and you can be in the middle only if you pick a few issues on which you tend toward the other end. Each question makes you go up or down on the seesaw.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:50 am

It's a sad reflection on our society that something as basic as drinking water is now a bottled, branded consumer product.
This speaks to me! I couldn't believe I saw this happen. It seems like a small thing, but the underlying values seem off to me. People I know on both sides of the spectrum must have their bottled water. My parents drank well water.

(Not referring to a tragic situation like Flint.)
chart-2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:59 am

-5.5, -3.44 here.

Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:15 am

One time on our local (erstwhile) forum, a bunch of people took an online test to see which religion fit us best.

And John Thomas8 scored 0 on like SEVEN different religions. I was so jealous. I was a double U*,. at a time when W was president. Yuk!

* Universal Unitarian

Welcome, seeker! There's a seeker born every minute!

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:59 am

pipistrelle wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:50 am
It's a sad reflection on our society that something as basic as drinking water is now a bottled, branded consumer product.
This speaks to me! I couldn't believe I saw this happen. It seems like a small thing, but the underlying values seem off to me. People I know on both sides of the spectrum must have their bottled water. My parents drank well water.

(Not referring to a tragic situation like Flint.)

chart-2.png
I agree.

When Mrs Somerset graduated from university and got her first job, she spent a big part of her first paycheque having a new well drilled for her parents that was right next to their house. That way her aging parents (she has 7 older siblings) wouldn't have to walk the 200 meters to the original well to haul water. Mrs Somerset was born in 1967.

That said, I buy "branded water" now. Here in China (and much of South Asia) tap water is clean enough to bathe in or wash with, but not safe to drink. You either boil water for drinking, run it through a filtration system, or drink bottled drinking water. It's the same in every country that doesn't have a good enough water infrastructure to deliver potable water. Because bottled water is basically a necessity and everyone buys it, branding and marketing creeps in. When I go to buy water there are usually three or four brands available, all within 1~2RMB of each other. but they're working to differentiate themselves. I usually choose the bottle that is easiest to carry, which is RMB 9 ($1.36) for 4.5 litres. The brand in the harder to carry bottle is 1 RMB less.

Clean water is a fundamental part of modern life. Making it into a luxury item seems like a step in the wrong direction.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:03 pm

Indian physicians and public health authorities suspect that 60% of all disease in India comes from dangerous water. Although I do shower with tap water when there, one of my first expeditions is to a corner kiosk where I buy a breath freshener/mouthwash with alcohol. I use this for brushing my teeth.

Once we had a wonderful meal at a facility of the National Academy of Sciences situated on a hill overlooking New Delhi. I avoided anything that could have been made with tap water hours ago. Most of my colleagues became ill. The hotel was very competent in getting a physician to come around to dispense a pill.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

TheNewSaint

Post by TheNewSaint » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:21 pm

-5.13, -3.85. Bottom left with the rest of you.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:03 pm

The latest political chart:

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:36 pm

Cook Political
The Demographic Trends That Should Worry Republicans ...

We are now undergoing a period of transition for both parties, but it is more immediately pressing for the GOP, the party with the levers of power on both the federal and state levels—a lot to lose. A recent Pew Research Center analysis of over 10,000 interviews with registered voters over the course of last year found that 37 percent identify as independents, 33 percent are Democrats, and 26 percent are Republicans.

Keep in mind that generally 90 percent or more of people who identify with a party usually vote that way, and among those who initially claim to be independent but concede they lean toward one party, the number is usually upwards of 80 percent. The proportion of true independents, with no partisan leanings, is in single digits. Shifting patterns in party identification combined with developments over the last year or so threaten to fundamentally change the chemistry of American politics.

The Pew report observed that ,“For decades, women have been more likely than men to identify as Democrats or lean Democratic. But today, a 56% majority of women identify as Democrats or lean Democratic, while 37% affiliate with or lean toward the GOP. The share of women identifying as Democrats or leaning Democratic is up 4 percentage points since 2015 and is at one of its highest points since 1992.” For Republicans, this lost ground among women has not been offset by a corresponding increase among men; the study found that 48 percent of men identify with the Republican Party or lean Republican, while 44 percent are Democrats or lean Democratic—all about the same as in 2014.

Then there is education. Those with just a high school diploma or less identify with or lean toward Republicans by 2 points, 47 to 45 percent, while those with some college but no degree tip toward Democrats by 2 points, 47 to 45 percent as well. But among those with a four-year college degree but no graduate school, Democrats have a 15-point lead, 54 to 39 percent. For those with postgraduate experience as well, the Democratic advantage expands to 32 points, 63 to 31 percent.

Among white voters with a high school diploma or less, the two parties were fairly evenly split until the beginning of this decade. Then the Republican share soared to a 23-point advantage, 58 to 35 percent. Republicans used to have a big lead among whites with just four-year college degrees, but the gap began narrowing during those Obama years and crossed last year: Democrats now have a 3-point edge, 49 to 46 percent. Among whites with postgraduate experience, Democrats began pulling away early in the last decade and now have a 22-point advantage.

The Pew findings on party identification in urban, suburban, and rural counties are instructive. The Pew report noted that, “Voters in urban counties have long aligned more with the Democratic Party than the Republican Party, and this Democratic advantage has grown over time. Today, twice as many urban voters identify as Democrats or lean Democratic (62%) as affiliate with the GOP or lean Republican.”

¡Sterngard! come home.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:50 pm

Mikedunford wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:22 pm
I came out as "solid liberal," but I strongly doubt that I would remain there in a more nuanced test. In large part, that's because much of the test was focused on identifying problems. If preferences for solutions were part of the test, I'd probably lurch to the right a fair bit. (Many of the solutions I'd advocate would make a Bernie supporter shit large chunks of masonry.)
I am a solid liberal too, also.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

stoppingby

Post by stoppingby » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:16 pm

I'm solid liberal too.

stoppingby

Post by stoppingby » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:19 pm

Oh, wonderful. I just googled ephebophilia. God only knows what's going to show up in my facebook feed now.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:30 pm

My results.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:41 pm

Sistah! :bighug:

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:57 am

p0rtia wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:41 pm
Sistah! :bighug:
I was scratching my head over what I thought were the results before scrolling down and seeing the actual results. There is a graphic on the page that explains the graph. At first I thought that graph was showing my results. :eek2: Those arrows in that graphic intersect up in the authoritarian section. I was horrified for those few seconds that I was mistaking what that graph was about. After scrolling down and seeing my actual results I did a big "whew". :lol: I sure didn't think I had any kind of authoritarian streak.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:59 am

pipistrelle wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:38 am

It's a terrible format. Your choices are diplomacy or military. What about diplomacy supported by a strong military? The way this is set up you're far right or far left on each issue and you can be in the middle only if you pick a few issues on which you tend toward the other end. Each question makes you go up or down on the seesaw.
I agree. This perpetuates the idea that there are only two dimensions to po!itics. For most on TFB, politics is much more complex.

wavey davey

Post by wavey davey » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:44 am

Looks like I have much in common with others here:

Additionally, the other test had me as solid liberal, too, also.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:17 pm

This is Gallup's political ideology report released January 3 2017. I'll just tuck it in here.
U.S. Conservatives Outnumber Liberals by Narrowing Margin

PRINCETON, N.J. -- Many more Americans have considered themselves politically conservative than liberal since the early 1990s. That remained the case in 2016, when an average of 36% of U.S. adults throughout the year identified themselves as conservative and 25% as liberal. Yet that 11-percentage-point margin is half of what it was at its peak in 1996 and is down from 14 points only two years ago.

Since Gallup began routinely measuring Americans' political ideology in 1992, conservative identification has varied between 36% and 40%. At the same time, there has been a clear increase in the percentage identifying as politically liberal, from 17% to 25%. This has been accompanied by a corresponding decrease in the percentage identifying as "moderate," from 43% to 34%.

Moderates were consistently the most prevalent group from 1992 to 2002, before first yielding that designation to conservatives in 2003. Within the long-term stability of conservatism, the percentage of Americans self-identifying as conservative jumped to 40% several times between 2003 and 2011, but it has since returned to 36%.

The annual ideology figures are based on combined data from Gallup's multiday, non-tracking surveys conducted each year, encompassing no fewer than 11,000 interviews, and in most years, more than 20,000 interviews.

Democrats Shifting Further Left; GOP Remains Conservative

Most of the long-term change in Americans' political views occurred after 2000 and can be explained by one overarching factor -- an increasing likelihood of Democrats (including independents who lean Democratic) to self-identify as liberal. Democratic liberal identification has increased by about one percentage point each year, from 30% in 2001 to 44% in 2016. As a result, liberalism now ranks as the top ideological group among Democrats.

Meanwhile, there has been an eight-point decline since 2001 in the percentage of Democrats identifying as conservative and a six-point decline in the percentage of Democrats who are moderate.

¡Sterngard! come home.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:38 pm

There is a newer Gallup's political ideology report which was released January 11, 2018.
Conservative Lead in U.S. Ideology Is Down to Single Digits

Continuing a quarter-century trend, the term "liberal" continues to catch up with "conservative" as Americans' preferred description of their political views. Thirty-five percent of U.S. adults in 2017 identified as conservative and 26% as liberal, the first time the conservative label's edge has been single digits. Its nine-percentage-point edge in 2017 is down from 11 points in 2016 and roughly 20-point advantages at times in the past.

Longer term, the percentage of U.S. adults identifying as liberal has climbed from 17% the first year Gallup used this measure in 1992 to 26% in 2017, while the percentage calling themselves moderate has fallen from 43% to 35%. Conservatives' share of the political pie was about the same in 2017 (35%) as in 1992 (36%), although it rose to 40% several times in between. The residual group, generally 4% to 5% in recent years, is unable, or refuses, to classify themselves with one of the three terms.

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:11 pm

tx, MN-Skeptic

¡Sterngard! come home.

Addie

Re: 2017, 2018 Political Typology Reports

Post by Addie » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:47 pm

WaPo
Trump’s ‘dismantlers’ losing ground; stage set for ‘bitter face-off’ with government ‘rebuilders’ ...

A new paper from the Brookings Institution by government expert Paul C. Light explores a more perceptive way to classify voters, one based more directly on their view of government. Light, a professor of public service at New York University, places voters in four boxes — dismantlers, expanders, streamliners and rebuilders.

There’s bad news for those who see government as the problem — the dismantlers’ box is shrinking. They are in retreat, while the rebuilders, who want more and better government, are advancing.

This has important implications not just for elections this year and in 2020, but also for government agencies, federal employees and services to the public. ...

After reviewing survey data from the Pew Research Center, Princeton Survey Research Associates and SSRS, a survey and market research firm, Light’s study found that those who identify as dismantlers rose from 9 percent in 2001 to 43 percent in 2016. But their portion dropped to 35 percent this year.

“What makes this all particularly interesting for 2018 is that Trump’s base has actually shrunk over the past two years,” Light said by email. The eight-point fall for dismantlers is “a statistically significant drop and a change well worth noting. My new analysis suggests that they may have fallen because the president is going too far.”

¡Sterngard! come home.

kate520

Re: 2017, 2018 Political Typology Reports

Post by kate520 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:58 pm

:pray:

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Return to “Elections 2018”