2014 VA-07: Eric Cantor Loses Big to Teabagger in Primary

rajah

Post by rajah » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:22 pm

A little song to show appreciation for Eric Cantors serviceRegards .........Dick

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:01 pm

a little more background on Jack Trammell (should this be in a different thread?)Jack Trammell: From rocker to farmer to House long-shotWhen Jack Trammell told Virginia Democrats he’d be willing to run for the House seat held by the GOP’s Eric Cantor, local party leaders were relieved. For a while, the only other person who’d seriously pursued the Democratic nomination was a man with ties to strip clubs.The relief soon turned to shock when Cantor, the House majority leader, lost the GOP primary to the little-known Dave Brat. With the political landscape drastically changed, Democrats are suddenly scrambling to prepare Trammell for an actual campaign, while also trying to define him.That second task might prove more formidable.Trammell’s resume seems to include just about everything except a stint in political office. The 50-year-old associate professor of sociology is a longtime advocate for the disabled who also writes civil war histories and romantic fiction. He and his wife have seven children – most have left their small farm, but the sheep and peacocks are still there — and they attend church regularly. He’s played in synth rock bands and on the basketball court with Brat, an economics professor who also teaches at Randolph-Macon College. [/break1]politico.com/story/2014/06/2014-virginia-election-jack-trammell-eric-cantor-107855.html?ml=tb]http://www.politico.com/story/2014/06/2 ... html?ml=tb

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

SPen

Post by SPen » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:31 am

SPen, please pick up the white courtesy telephone!Haha, it was quite a big story coming out of VA. Brat was able to run up the margins in the more-conservative areas of the district, especially Hanover, and quite a few Democrats crossed over and helped send Cantor packing. I've been busy with the Warner campaign but the fine people of Daily Kos Elections have mapped out the shocker in VA-07:[/break1]dailykos.com/story/2014/06/13/1306471/-Mapping-Eric-Cantor-s-epic-loss]http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/06/1 ... -epic-loss

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:05 am

Eric Cantor quitting Congress Aug. 18

In a surprised move, Rep. Eric Cantor says he will resign from Congress on August 18 and has requested a special election to replace him, according to a report late Thursday.

The Virginia Republican told the Richmond Times-Dispatch that he has called on Gov. Terry McAuliffe to set up a special election for his 7th congressional district seat so that his replacement can begin immediately after the election and not when the 114th Congress starts in January.

Cantor previously said he would serve his full term.

“I want to make sure that the constituents in the 7th District will have a voice in what will be a very consequential lame-duck session,” Cantor told the Times-Dispatch. “That way he will also have seniority, and that will help the interests of my constituents [because] he can be there in that consequential lame-duck session,” he added.Bit more at the link

[/break1]politico.com/story/2014/08/eric-cantor-quit-special-election-109624.html?cmpid=sf#ixzz398VeOM7G]http://www.politico.com/story/2014/08/e ... z398VeOM7G

Birfers are toast

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:37 pm

Them grapes be mighty sour.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

bob

Post by bob » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:48 pm

“I want to make sure that the constituents in the 7th District will have a voice in what will be a very consequential lame-duck session,” Cantor told the Times-Dispatch.So: From Aug. 18 to Nov. 4, his district will have no representation.

And: From Nov. 5 to Jan. 5 (IIRC) (the lame-duck session), his district will be represented by one of the most junior representatives (who, to Cantor's credit, will not be a lame duck).

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Tarrant

Post by Tarrant » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:02 pm

“I want to make sure that the constituents in the 7th District will have a voice in what will be a very consequential lame-duck session,” Cantor told the Times-Dispatch.So: From Aug. 18 to Nov. 4, his district will have no representation.

And: From Nov. 5 to Jan. 5 (IIRC) (the lame-duck session), his district will be represented by one of the most junior representatives (who, to Cantor's credit, will not be a lame duck).

Worse, he wants to waste taxpayer dollars of Virginia, requesting that a special election be called to fill the seat early. McAuliffe should tell him to get stuffed. The election is only two months away. Just because he lost his primary doesn't mean he should abandon his constituents.

I wonder what lobbying firm, think tank, or SuperPAC has offered him a primo position that he feels like he needs to duck out just a few months from the end of his term, anyway.

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:04 pm

The special election will coincide with the General Election, so it will not cost extra."During this time of transition for me and my family, it is my foremost desire to ensure that representation is maintained for the people of the 7th District," Cantor said in a statement. "For this reason, I have asked Gov. [Terry] McAuliffe to hold a special election on Election Day, at no additional cost to taxpayers, so my successor can be sworn in immediately in November."[/break1]cbsnews.com/news/eric-cantor-tells-virginia-newspaper-hell-resign-house-seat-in-august/]http://www.cbsnews.com/news/eric-cantor ... in-august/

Tarrant

Post by Tarrant » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:16 pm

Oooooh. OK. By naming it a special election, said winner could immediately take the seat.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:59 pm

He may have his lobbying job all set up, at a salary higher than he's making now.

Mr. William L. Bryan is the root of a great deal of criminal mischief.
And yet, Mr. Bryan remains at large. :mrgreen:

SPen

Post by SPen » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:28 pm

I don't think Terry is going to do this, LOL.

Return to “virginia”