2014 VA-07: Eric Cantor Loses Big to Teabagger in Primary

Skip Intro

Post by Skip Intro »

Eric Cantor losing to Tea Party candidate tonight. (Sorry, I didn't know where else to put this).
In the Trump era anything is true if enough people believe it.

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Eric Cantor losing to Tea Party candidate tonight. (Sorry, I didn't know where else to put this).[/break1]nbcwashington.com/news/local/Va-Voters-Go-to-Polls-in-3-US-House-Districts-262495581.html]http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local ... 95581.htmlU.S. House Majority Leader Eric Cantor faces a challenge from a political newcomer backed by the tea party as Virginia voters go to the polls Tuesday for three congressional primaries.Polls closed at 7 p.m. for two Republican primaries and a seven-way Democratic battle for an open seat in northern Virginia.Economics professor Dave Brat is seeking to topple Cantor in the 7th District -- with 167 out of 243 precincts reporting, Brat was ahead of Cantor by more than 6,000 votes.Election officials said this morning's rain and thunderstorms likely kept some voters away from the polls, but they said they were hopeful for an early evening uptick in turnout.
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.

AnitaMaria

Post by AnitaMaria »

Skip Intro already posted this news in [link]Republicans Behaving Badly thread,http://www.thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopi ... ad#p617381[/link].Via [link]TPM,http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/c ... ea-partier[/link]Eric Cantor May Just Lose His Primary Fight With Tea PartierDANIEL STRAUSS – JUNE 10, 2014, 7:50 PM EDTHouse Majority Leader Eric Cantor's (R-VA) primary fight looked much more serious than many had thought.With 52 percent of precincts reporting 41 minutes after polls closed primary challenger David Brat was leading Cantor, 57.9 percent to 42.1 percent.Who is Brat? He is an economics professor at Randolph-Macon College. Brat was regarded as a long shot candidate but Cantor's campaign still spent over $1 million on advertising to stress that the top House Republican is a "strong conservative."Cantor's campaign also sent out mailers arguing that he's largely responsible for blocking immigration reform, signs, perhaps, that Brat seemed like more of a threat than he appeared publicly.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

U.S. House - District 7 - GOP Primary[highlight]183 of 244 Precincts Reporting - 75%[/highlight]Name Party Votes Vote %Brat, David GOP 29,842 56%Cantor, Eric (i) GOP 23,310 44% :o
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey »

8:00 pm EDT Assoc Press says Cantor is loser.
I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

BillTheCat

Post by BillTheCat »

Just in from the AP, Rachel Maddow reporting now that Eric Cantor has lost the primary :-bd http://www.politico.com/story/2014/06/e ... html?hp=t1 :banana: :cheer:
'But I don't want to go among mad people,' said Alice. 'Oh, you can't help that,' said the cat. 'We're all mad here.'
-Lewis Carroll

June bug

Post by June bug »

Much as I can't stand Cantor, I'm not sure this is a good thing...

AnitaMaria

Post by AnitaMaria »

I haven't paid one bit of attention to this race. I'm guessing I'm not alone in that. I guess the question now is whether the teabagger is crazy enough to lose and the Democrat is strong enough to win in Cantor's district.

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

4 Days ago, for some background[/break1]foxnews.com/latino/politics/2014/06/06/eric-cantor-faces-tough-challenge-against-little-known-tea-party-candidate/]http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/politi ... candidate/[/break1]foxnews.com/latino/politics/2014/06/06/eric-cantor-faces-tough-challenge-against-little-known-tea-party-candidate/]http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/politi ... candidate/Although he's a political novice with little money, Brat has been a thorn in Cantor's side, casting the congressman as a Washington insider who isn't conservative enough. Last month, a feisty crowd of Brat supporters booed Cantor in front of his family at a local party convention."Listen, we are about a country of free speech, so decency is also a part of this," Cantor told the crowd....Beltway-based groups have chipped in, too. The American Chemistry Council, whose members include many blue chip companies, spent more than $300,000 on TV ads promoting Cantor. It's the group's only independent expenditure so far this election year. The American College of Radiology political action committee paid nearly $23,000 for fliers touting Cantor as better qualified than Brat at "ending business-as-usual in Washington."Brat, by contrast, has raised just more than $200,000 for his campaign, according to the most recent campaign finance reports. He's hoping to offset the cash disadvantage with endorsements from conservative activists, like radio host Laura Ingraham, and with help from tea party activists angry at Cantor.The monster is now devouring its host. And the Democrats better be ready to fight the unified Tea Party. and the tea party will be totally unified against them, or they will be smashed apart.The Dems of course have been fighting one another in a 7 way primary in VA because that's the way to create coherence and unity
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.

Skip Intro

Post by Skip Intro »

And the GOP lurches even further to the right.http://s17.postimg.org/bgdqeh30f/Screen ... _22_PM.png

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

I have paid one bit of attention to this race. I'm guessing I'm not alone in that. I guess the question now is whether the teabagger is crazy enough to lose and the Democrat is strong enough to win in Cantor's district.I just read at DKos that there is no Democrat running for this seat.

Edit: Big Correction:So what happens next? Virginia law appears to forbid Cantor from pursuing an independent bid, though a write-in campaign seems possible. That would be an incredibly humiliating second act, though, and it's the one move that could throw this seat to the Democrats. Virginia's 7th District voted 57-42 for Mitt Romney, so without Cantor, Brat will be heavily favored against Democrat Jack Trammel, who, like Brat, is a professor at Randolph-Macon College.[/break1]dailykos.com/story/2014/06/10/1306004/-Holy-smokes-Eric-Cantor-loses-GOP-primary-to-absolutely-unknown-underfunded-challenger]http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/06/1 ... challenger
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

No the Democrats are all fighting over the 8th district seat vacated by retiring Rep Jim Moran.

mimi

Post by mimi »

:shock: Are you kidding me?

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Nope. Dem 7 way primary ahoy!5 things to know about the primary. [/break1]wjla.com/articles/2014/06/5-things-to-know-about-the-virginia-primaries-on-tuesday-103966.html]http://www.wjla.com/articles/2014/06/5- ... 03966.htmlNow the Dems could try and actually run a candidate anyway if they had some balls.To be honest the GOP gerrymandering themselves to hell and back actually left them open to this teabagger challenge. With no dem to scare the people to the establishment they had no reason not to vote for the fanatic.

AnitaMaria

Post by AnitaMaria »

According to the [link]Blue Virginia,http://www.bluevirginia.us/diary/11690/ ... -live-blog[/link] the Democrats nominated a professor from Randolph-Macon College named [link]Jack Trammel,http://www.rmc.edu/News/Faculty-Focus-J ... mmell.aspx[/link] to run for that seat.

June bug

Post by June bug »

This is not good news, folks. The Democrats in the 7th District cancelled their convention and did not nominate anyone. (Could this be because it's a slam-dunk Republican District?) Also, it may be too late to run as an independent on the ballot, in which case Cantor and/or any Democrat who might want to challenge Brat will have to run as a write-in.

Skip Intro

Post by Skip Intro »

Cantor lost because he wasn't far right enough for the GOP base. Think about that for a bit.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

The Democrats named a professor at Randolph Macon Academy as their candidate. [/break1]com/article/index/262960/stunning-upset-house-majority-leader-eric-cantor-loses-republican-primary-back-home#axzz34HlcqYA0]http://theweek.com/article/index/262960 ... z34HlcqYA0
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

so who takes over in seniority?

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Thread merge in Aisle 8

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Pick one thread to discuss, por favor.I'll merge them all manana
For more information, read it again.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

mimi

Post by mimi »

I have paid one bit of attention to this race. I'm guessing I'm not alone in that. I guess the question now is whether the teabagger is crazy enough to lose and the Democrat is strong enough to win in Cantor's district.I just read at DKos that there is no Democrat running for this seat.

Edit: Big Correction:So what happens next? Virginia law appears to forbid Cantor from pursuing an independent bid, though a write-in campaign seems possible. That would be an incredibly humiliating second act, though, and it's the one move that could throw this seat to the Democrats. Virginia's 7th District voted 57-42 for Mitt Romney, so without Cantor, Brat will be heavily favored against Democrat Jack Trammel, who, like Brat, is a professor at Randolph-Macon College.[/break1]dailykos.com/story/2014/06/10/1306004/-Holy-smokes-Eric-Cantor-loses-GOP-primary-to-absolutely-unknown-underfunded-challenger]http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/06/1 ... challenger
Can anybody find a campaign site for him? I mean, is he even gonna have a website?

his twitter:

[/break1]com/jacktrammell]https://twitter.com/jacktrammell

This is from the voter's guide:

This congressional district stretches from Culpeper to the Richmond area. Barring an independent candidate, the winner of the GOP primary will more than likely be the next 7th district representative because Virginia's 7th Congressional District Democrats cancelled their convention and did not nominate anyone to run against the eventual GOP nominee.[/break1]wusa9.com/story/news/politics/2014/06/09/virginia-voters-guide-june-10-primary/10240113/]http://www.wusa9.com/story/news/politic ... /10240113/

And then there's this guy? OMG.

[/break1]com/VoteMike2014]https://twitter.com/VoteMike2014

So there is or there isn't a nominee for the Dems?

gupwalla

Post by gupwalla »

Cantor was a power player. The new guy will be the new guy. The GOP candidate will probably win in November, but there is an outside chance the Dem candidate somehow appears more reasonable to a midterm crowd. Primaries always tend to pull the iron flakes to the poles.However November plays out, the caucus lineup won't get any worse for progressives and a power player has been knocked off his perch. And for the first night since he won his gavel, John Boehner might be able to get a peaceful night's sleep without having to resort to the bottle. I don't get the impression that he and Cantor are all that close.
In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford »

I'm usually a fan of "better the devil you know," but not this time. No, sir. This one I celebrate. Cantor is an unscrupulous, smarmy jackass who has proven time and again that there is absolutely no back he will not stab if it offers even the slightest chance of advancement. He has, for years, been using his leadership position to the detriment of the nation. If it's a choice between having Cantor in the leadership or another back bench tea bagger, I'll take the bagger.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Return to “virginia”