Pennsylvania 6th CD 2018

Addie

Pennsylvania 6th CD 2018

Post by Addie » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:10 pm

Thread title changed

-------------------------------

[link]Political Wire,http://politicalwire.com/archives/2014/ ... quits.html[/link]

Gerlach Calls it Quits

Rep. Jim Gerlach (R-PA) announced he will not seek re-election in 2014, marking yet another moderate House Republican to leave Congress, Roll Call reports.

[highlight]Gerlach's departure gives Democrats a decent opportunity to pick up the seat[/highlight] as Mitt Romney carried the district with just 51% in 2012.

[link]PoliticsPA,http://www.politicspa.com/breaking-rep- ... ion/53983/[/link]: "Gerlach was a Democratic target in 2012, but redistricting made his seat even safer for the Republican, but from the 2002 until the 2010 election, Gerlach's district was one of the nation's most competitive."

¡Sterngard! come home.

magdalen77

2014 PA-06: Manan Trivedi (D) v Ryan Costello (R) -- Open Seat

Post by magdalen77 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:20 pm

[link]Political Wire,http://politicalwire.com/archives/2014/ ... quits.html[/link]

Gerlach Calls it Quits

Rep. Jim Gerlach (R-PA) announced he will not seek re-election in 2014, marking yet another moderate House Republican to leave Congress, Roll Call reports.

[highlight]Gerlach's departure gives Democrats a decent opportunity to pick up the seat[/highlight] as Mitt Romney carried the district with just 51% in 2012.

[link]PoliticsPA,http://www.politicspa.com/breaking-rep- ... ion/53983/[/link]: "Gerlach was a Democratic target in 2012, but redistricting made his seat even safer for the Republican, but from the 2002 until the 2010 election, Gerlach's district was one of the nation's most competitive."It's too bad, because Gerlach isn't a complete idiot. But Montgomery County is getting more and more Democratic as is Chester County. At one point in time he was my congressman, but they re-districted my largely black and Hispanic town out of his district into Allyson Schwartz' district.*

*Now I see it looks like Kerry in 2004 and the President in 2008 handily took his district. The President won the 6th 58% to 41%. I betcha it was due to my town.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:41 pm

[link]Talking Points Memo,http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/h ... -jump-ship[/link]

House Dems: Gerlach Becomes 12th GOPer To 'Jump Ship'

The campaign arm for House Democrats hailed Rep. Jim Gerlach's (R-PA) decision to not seek another term as the latest sign that moderate Republicans are "jumping ship" within the Republican Party.

Gerlach announced Monday that he would not run for another term.

"John Boehner and the Tea Party put up the ‘No Moderates Allowed’ sign on their caucus and now the few remaining moderates are jumping ship from a Congress that is so broken that its leaders have already admitted they will do nothing this year to help hardworking families," Democratic Congressional Committee Chairman Rep. Steve Israel (D-NY) said in a statement on Monday.

Israel went on to list a trio of other House Republicans who recently announced that they would not run for reelection.

"Jim Gerlach marks the twelfth Republican to retire or resign, joining others like Tom Latham, Jon Runyan and Frank Wolf who have decided to retire rather than continue to defend this indefensible Republican Congress’s reckless dysfunction that is hurting the middle class and failing to create jobs," Israel said.

¡Sterngard! come home.

SPen

Post by SPen » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:06 pm

Looks like the Democrats are coalescing around candidate Michael Parrish. Pelosi is doing an East Coast fundraising swing and he'll be one of the beneficiaries.

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:26 am

The general election to replace Congressman Jim Gerlach will be between Democrat Manan Trivedi and Republican Ryan Costello. Both were unopposed in their respective [/break1]electionreturns.state.pa.us/Default.aspx?EID=41&ESTID=1&CID=0&OID=11&CDID=0&PID=0&DISTID=0&IsSpecial=0&PageRefID=1]primary election. The Cook Political Report Partisan Voting Index rates the district as [/break1]com/file/2013-04-47.pdf]R+2

magdalen77

Post by magdalen77 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:22 am

The general election to replace Congressman Jim Gerlach will be between Democrat Manan Trivedi and Republican Ryan Costello. Both were unopposed in their respective [/break1]electionreturns.state.pa.us/Default.aspx?EID=41&ESTID=1&CID=0&OID=11&CDID=0&PID=0&DISTID=0&IsSpecial=0&PageRefID=1]primary election. The Cook Political Report Partisan Voting Index rates the district as [/break1]com/file/2013-04-47.pdf]R+2Trivedi has run before, but that was against Gerlach. I know I voted for him once, probably in 2008 because I think my town was re-districted for 2010.

Volkonski

Re: 2014 PA-06: Manan Trivedi (D) v Ryan Costello (R) -- Open Seat

Post by Volkonski » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:07 pm

Another one not seeking re-election.

Scott Wong

@scottwongDC

.@RepRyanCostello telling GOP officials he won’t seek re-election in 2018
http://www.
cityandstatepa.com/content/source
s-us-rep-costello-drop-out-pa-6-race-may-primary

4:25 PM - Mar 24, 2018

Jonathan Tamari

@JonathanTamari

This would leave GOP in a huge lurch, hand the R nomination to a little known lawyer & likely PA6 to Dems. Hearing Costello did say this but Rs hope to convince him to stick it out thru the primary - and then replace him with a chosen candidate. Very doubtful he runs in Nov.
https://
twitter.com/cityandstatepa
/status/977593081057939456

2:28 PM - Mar 24, 2018

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:22 pm

Ryan Costello is OUT.

MSNBC's Kacie Hunt had an interview with him, his young family, hard work, blah blah blah.

Some had speculated that Costello would drop out after the U.S. Supreme Court declined to hear the GOP challenge to the state’s new congressional districts. Many observers say the new Sixth District, in the highly competitive Philadelphia suburbs, is even more favorable for Democratic candidates – last month, Costello called for the impeachment of the state Supreme Court Justices involved in that decision. A bruising Republican loss in this month’s PA-18 special election also sent shockwaves across the national GOP landscape and is generally seen as an ill omen for upcoming midterms across the country.

If true, Costello’s decision not to run would put suburban Republicans in a tight spot. Despite his apparent vulnerability, local party leadership are short on alternative candidates with strong name recognition.

Recently, county-level Republicans told reporters they were still scouting possible replacement candidates. But as the petition deadline passed, only local lawyer Greg McCauley had filed signatures to run as a Republican.

An attorney and Chester County native, Costello had held several county positions for years before scoring a congressional win in 2014. Recently, he had been tarred for supporting legislation that critics say defanged federal attempts to crack down on pharmaceutical opioid manufacturers – and which has been cited as one of the factors hindering government response to the opioid crisis.

Democrat Chrissy Houlahan, a veteran and former CEO, is currently running for her party’s nomination in PA-6.
http://www.cityandstatepa.com/content/s ... ay-primary

While two other Republicans had filed to run in the 6th District, the incumbent had more than $1.3 million in his campaign account and had won his previous races with more than 56 percent of the vote. Both Republicans were running to the right of Costello, a business-friendly legislator who had opposed the GOP’s effort to repeal the Affordable Care Act. Democrats, who had persuaded businesswoman Chrissy Houlahan to run in the new district, now expect to face a weaker Republican nominee in November.

“Costello’s exit should set off alarm bells for vulnerable House Republicans,” said Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee spokesman Evan Lukaske on Sunday night. “[They] will also have to explain to middle-class voters why they’ve given repeated handouts to the rich and biggest corporations.”

Costello had been considering the decision since February, when the Pennsylvania Supreme Court drew a new map to replace a gerrymander that Republicans put into place seven years ago. The 6th District, which had cut through three suburban counties in an L-shape, was reshaped to include all of Costello’s Chester County and part of Berks County.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pow ... 4aed5188cd

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Mon May 28, 2018 9:17 pm

GOP congressman says he’s leaving Congress because ‘all I do is answer questions about Donald Trump’

Rep. Ryan Costello (R-Pa.) said he is leaving Congress in part because all he is ever asked about is President Trump, according to CNN.

"No matter what I say or do, I feel all I do is answer questions about Donald Trump rather than health insurance or tax policy," Costello told CNN.

Costello announced in March that he would not run for reelection, blaming the partisan political environment, including the actions of Trump.

"I feel, increasingly, that if you're a member of Congress, they assume that you're not good," Costello told CNN.

"They assume that you're not telling the truth. No matter what you do, someone's out there locked and loaded to say something disparaging, false, mean, in an attempt to have other people not like you,” he added.

The young moderate has broken with the GOP’s leadership and the president on a number of issues, including gun control and repealing the Affordable Care Act.

Costello noted that the Pennsylvania Supreme Court decision that redrew his district, in a move Republicans believe will make the district more Democratic, was also part of the reason he decided to leave Congress.

"I'm 41. I have an 8-month-old. I have a 4-year-old. I just lost half my congressional district. The state Supreme Court decided that they were going to try and take me out," Costello said.
<snip>
http://thehill.com/homenews/house/38959 ... -questions

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Return to “U.S. House of Representatives”