kate520

2014 CA-33: Ted Lieu (D) v Elan Carr (R) -- Open Seat

Post by kate520 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:47 am

Nooooooo!

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:55 pm

After Congressman Waxman announced he will not run for re-election speculation begins for who will run for Congress in his district.Lawyer and women's rights activist Sandra Fluke (D) is "strongly considering" a run for Rep. Henry Waxman's (D-Calif.) seat."I'm flattered that I'm being discussed as a potential candidate, especially for Rep. Waxman's seat, considering his incredible legacy," she told The Hill in a statement. "A number of folks I respect very deeply have reached out today and encouraged me to run. I am strongly considering running. I'll be making my decision soon."[/break1]com/blogs/ballot-box/house-races/197020-sandra-fluke-strongly-considering-run-for-waxmans-seat]http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/hou ... xmans-seatIf Fluke decides to run for Congress that ought to give Rush Limpballs a few talking points.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:00 am

Yes it will but I'm unlikely to vote for her. And she's unlikely to win. This is a wealthy, sophisticated Democratic stronghold. Maybe Howard Berman will move in and run.

ObjectiveDoubter

Post by ObjectiveDoubter » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:49 am

[/break1]politico.com/story/2014/01/sandra-fluke-congress-henry-waxman-102882.html]Sandra Fluke: Carpetbagger

What arrogance! I hate it as much on the Left as on the Right. We need a REPRESENTATIVE. That means they represent US. This district shopping -- especially from someone who knows nothing about L.A. -- is really offensive to me. I think back to the local issues that Henry Waxman addressed -- including those I think he F'd up royally -- and I cannot imagine how Sandra Fluke would have a clue how to relate to our unique culture and expectations.

She might want to ask Tom Hayden about carpetbagging in L.A. He just skipped over the Santa Monica border to run for L.A. City Council and got slaughtered in one of the most liberal districts in America. We. Do. Not. Like. Carpetbaggers.

Edit: btw, I see that she is stating that she lives in "the LA area." If so, we welcome her 5 minutes here.

AnitaMaria

Post by AnitaMaria » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:14 am

I really, really tried to like Sandra Fluke. I really did. I'll give her a lot of credit for setting herself up to be a lightning rod and helping to expose the sexism that dominates Republican politics. But, ugh, she's just too damn sanctimonious. I would not be inclined to support her in a primary. But I don't live anywhere near CA-33 so it will never be an issue for me.

bob

Post by bob » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:01 pm

Can you imagine the campaign slogans on this one? Let’s start a thread: Sandra Fluke is running for Congress. Yesterday you raised money to buy her some condoms. Today you are raising money to put her in Congress! It’s no fluke, it is not dumb luck, it’s Obama media making a member of Congress out of any …quack! :twisted: [/break1]orlytaitzesq.com/?p=446204]http://www.orlytaitzesq.com/?p=446204 :twisted:

Stick to your day job, Taitz. No, your other day job.

Imagex5 Imagex2 Imagex3 Imagex2

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:09 pm

Can you imagine the campaign slogans on this one? Let’s start a thread: Sandra Fluke is running for Congress. Yesterday you raised money to buy her some condoms. Today you are raising money to put her in Congress! It’s no fluke, it is not dumb luck, it’s Obama media making a member of Congress out of any …quack! :twisted: [/break1]orlytaitzesq.com/?p=446204]http://www.orlytaitzesq.com/?p=446204 :twisted:

Stick to your day job, Taitz. No, your other day job.I wouldn't expect anything less more from the lady who

mimi

Post by mimi » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:49 am

This is nice. And well deserved:

Farewell to Henry Waxman, a Liberal Hero

BY JONATHAN COHN @citizencohn

[/break1]newrepublic.com/article/116418/henry-waxman-retiring-heres-why-well-miss-him]http://www.newrepublic.com/article/1164 ... l-miss-him

kate520

Post by kate520 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:13 pm

When Henry Waxman, Dean of the liberal caucus, the Commandant of Congress's Conscience, decides to retire because, well, he just doesn't see himself being able to get anything done anymore on accounta the tea party know-nothings (alternatively, no-everythings) have halted all forward progress, we are in deep shit. Henry could always get it done. Plus, he's taking a large chunk of institutional memory with him. I am verklempt! I met him once, when I was working on the CA reapportionment in the 80's and had to take some preliminary maps over for his approval. He was with the raucous Berman brothers that day. He was still influential in state politics then, having been a state rep for some years before leaving for Washington. He was polite and v. quiet. The Bermans made it hard to get a word in edgewise. :mrgreen:

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

ObjectiveDoubter

Post by ObjectiveDoubter » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:52 pm

Wendy Greuel jumps in.

[tab=30][/break1]dailynews.com/government-and-politics/20140201/wendy-greuel-felt-fire-in-the-belly-for-congressional-run]From Rick Orlov, Daily News

[tab=30][/break1]com/2014/biz/news/former-mayorial-candidate-wendy-greuel-to-run-for-henry-waxmans-seat-1201078916/]From Variety

Wendy has had almost incomparable fundraising prowess, from her days at DreamWorks. But her campaign for LA Mayor was horribly flawed and I wonder if that will impact some of the usual donors. If she is serious about Congress, the first thing she needs to do is dump John Shallman, her mayoral campaign manager who misread the interest of the voters (and has done so before) and crafted an ad campaign so nasty and negative (I guess intended to be preemptive against a likeable opponent with essentially the same positions) that it even left supporters shaking their heads. If she got in for real, the race would be hers to lose. With Shallman, she might lose. (IMHO ... from the district over the hill in the Valley!)

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:36 am

[link]Politico,http://www.politico.com/story/2014/02/s ... 03085.html[/link]

Dems: Sandra Fluke files for Henry Waxman seat bid

Women’s rights activist Sandra Fluke has filed paperwork to seek the congressional seat being vacated by the retirement of Rep. Henry Waxman, according to the local party.

The California Democratic Party [link]lists Fluke’s name,http://www.cadem.org/resources?id=0546[/link] as having officially filed with the party to run in the California district of the retiring Democrat. Two other candidates have filed to run and three others are considered potential candidates, according to the party’s site.

¡Qué vergüenza!

ObjectiveDoubter

Post by ObjectiveDoubter » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:56 am

[link]Politico,http://www.politico.com/story/2014/02/s ... 03085.html[/link]

Dems: Sandra Fluke files for Henry Waxman seat bid

Women’s rights activist Sandra Fluke has filed paperwork to seek the congressional seat being vacated by the retirement of Rep. Henry Waxman, according to the local party.

The California Democratic Party [link]lists Fluke’s name,http://www.cadem.org/resources?id=0546[/link] as having officially filed with the party to run in the California district of the retiring Democrat. Two other candidates [with real political chops] have filed to run and three others are considered potential candidates, according to the party’s site.Already clear from the grassroots: No one here cares very much what she does. Only serious candidates, so far. Ted Lieu and Wendy Greuel.

[tab=30]http://www.scpr.org/blogs/politics/2014 ... orsements/

kate520

Post by kate520 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:58 am

OD, do you think Henry will anoint someone?

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

ObjectiveDoubter

Post by ObjectiveDoubter » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:07 am

As usual, LA Observed has the best coverage of all things L.A.: A comprehensive summary of links for who's jumped into the race and what is being said about Rep. Waxman's retirement and record:

http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/s43 ... 42d8cb.png

[tab=30]http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2014/ ... el_lei.php

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:45 am

Sandra Fluke tweeted out she's running for California State Senate, and she links this article:

Sandra Fluke forgoes congressional bid to run for state Senate

[/break1]latimes.com/local/political/la-pc-sandra-fluke-congress-state-senate-20140205,0,7267538.story#axzz2sSEWVDMy]http://www.latimes.com/local/political/ ... z2sSEWVDMy

Jeff Flake tweets out:

Jeff Flake ‏@JeffFlake 36m

Sandra Fluke decides not to run for Congress. Dang, there goes the possibility for a Fluke-Flake bill...

Expand :P

kate520

Post by kate520 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:32 pm

I'm glad to see she is rational and open to other ideas. It doesn't make any sense for her to jump into the national arena with no experience. It's pretty clear that she's had her eye on at least public policy if not office for a long time. I think she will be a force some day.I wish her well.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

ObjectiveDoubter

Post by ObjectiveDoubter » Sat May 31, 2014 11:15 am

Oh boy, it's Hollywood.

Edit: The Primary is on Tuesday and with out nutty new Top-Two Run-Off insanity, I think it will be Wendy Greuel v. Ted Lieu. The Dem Party has always shunned Wendy because she tends to not play the game. Lieu was endorsed at the California Dem Party Convention. Both liberals, but different styles. Anyhow, I hope that Marianne Williamson goes back to her books. It's gonna be another Democratic blood-bath, one way or another.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sat May 31, 2014 11:32 am

So Marianne Williamson doesn't want any men to vote for her?OK.

ObjectiveDoubter

Post by ObjectiveDoubter » Sat May 31, 2014 11:40 am

So Marianne Williamson doesn't want any men to vote for her?OK.Don't get me started. She may or may not be right in her books, but as a member of one of the lower's eschelons of Abraham Maslow's pyramid, I see her as the elitist she is who finds it way too easy knows what's best for the rest of the riff-raff. She may now want to take back what she said about counseling prior to abortion -- mind you, legal, codified, on the books, required sessions (3 of them, no less). Typical of someone one with money. Yes, the poor and middle class would have to sit through three "counseling" sessions; the rich, like Ms. Williamson, would just fly off to a more civilized country, to avoid same said "counseling." As a member of the riff-raff, I cannot stand these people.
Edit: Oh. And vote Wendy on Tuesday. Just sayin'.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sat May 31, 2014 11:54 am

I look upon Williamson more as an incipient cult leader.

ducktape

Post by ducktape » Sat May 31, 2014 2:01 pm

I heard Marianne Williamson speak last week at the LA Kossacks meetup. She is an attractive person, a fiery and impressive speaker, and had Alan Grayson there to endorse her. She also had group of eager young people with her who pressed kits with T-shirts, bumper stickers, and big magnetic car signs on us. But all that said, a number of the people there already know about her and had negative opinions. I heard the cult reference that Stern made, and also from someone who had been up close when she was shafting a union. Just as well it will not be her. Also hope that David Kanuth is not in the top two -- he is pretty, but shallow, 'way too "deficit" focused (e.g. Republican-lite), and thinks that good looks and fundraising ability is all it takes.

ObjectiveDoubter

Post by ObjectiveDoubter » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:29 pm

Hokay, hokay! I had a chance today to read a real paper (I mean, actually on paper and everything, like not on the Net!), the ultimate authority on this race, The Jewish Journal. (Okay, not, but really, really interesting.) Apparently, the liberals (Dems and No Parties or Green or P&F) are so numerous, and so similar in stances and/or constituencies that the consensus of the talking heads is that each such candidate will garner a very similar and small percentage of the vote. That leaves the single GOP to come in first in the jungle primary -- and that's now a very real prediction from those said same talking heads on both sides of the political spectrum. If that happens, whichever Dem comes in second will win in November, undoubtedly and without much effort. The district is so heavily Dem, it's hard to imagine anything else.

That will spare the Dem Party a horrible, outrageously expensive internecine blood bath. If the party primaries were restricted to, say, the parties (!!!), the results might be different than what we will see by tomorrow morning. This race will have me glued to the L.A. County Reg of Voters website into the wee hours.

I'm in Palo Alto right now, and I see no "I voted" stickers here at Starbucks. I asked the barista if he voted today, and he blushed and said, "Is there an election?" Oh well.

ducktape

Post by ducktape » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:24 pm

I'm in Palo Alto right now, and I see no "I voted" stickers here at Starbucks. I asked the barista if he voted today, and he blushed and said, "Is there an election?" Oh well.I saw one guy today with an "I voted" sticker. I'm in a district which is no contest (Roybal-Allard) and the only thing of interest on the ballot is one local measure which will probably be defeated. I didn't vote, but my colleague did.

Return to “california”