"Terrifying" Texas GOP Platform - 2012

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:27 am

Yes, thank you, Emma.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:28 am

Emma, you should try to publish this in the Dallas Morning News or the Houston Chronicle. Many readers will know a slice of your experiences from the deaths of their own loved ones.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Emma

Post by Emma » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:34 am

Emma, you should try to publish this in the Dallas Morning News or the Houston Chronicle. Many readers will know a slice of your experiences from the deaths of their own loved ones.What I posted isn't even the tip of the iceberg. I'm sitting here in tears ... not from sadness but frustration and anger. We have the drugs and the procedures and protocols that can keep people from dying an agonizing "natural" death.

I can't even put two words together right now. I know what I want to say but I'm way too upset to say it. Sorry for being so damned incoherent.

Emma

Post by Emma » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:47 am

I was remiss in not mentioning our chaplains. They are the kindest, most compassionate people you'd ever want to meet, representing a number of faiths. They are called in whenever a trauma arrives in the ED, and will make it a point to come to us at night and ask if anyone is in need. Last night in the midst of all hell breaking loose, the on-call chaplain (Greek Orthodox, I believe) comforted the daughter and cute little ol' lady. And me, for that matter.

MRich

Post by MRich » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:38 pm

I can't even put two words together right now. I know what I want to say but I'm way too upset to say it. Sorry for being so damned incoherent.You are not incoherent. You make great sense. I hope when my time comes, I can slip away without pain. Nurses such as you are angels on earth.

Piffle

Post by Piffle » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:56 pm

I can't even put two words together right now. I know what I want to say but I'm way too upset to say it. Sorry for being so damned incoherent.Trust me, Emma. As the brother of a sixty-something glioblastoma patient (true, dat), I can assure you that nothing you've written here is incoherent. (And I knows incoherent when I sees it.) :hug:

Tomtech

Post by Tomtech » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:33 pm

But [link]Texas has had 'death panels' since 1999,http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/03/24 ... since.html[/link].Since 1999, Texas has given hospital "ethics panels" the authority to end care even if the patient or family wants to continue.It's called the Advance Directives Act. The Texas Senate bill passed in 1999.Back then, the Senate's presiding officer was Lt. Gov. Rick Perry.

The Chriscam is open for public viewing.

A Legal Lohengrin

Post by A Legal Lohengrin » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:47 pm

Emma, you should try to publish this in the Dallas Morning News or the Houston Chronicle. Many readers will know a slice of your experiences from the deaths of their own loved ones.What I posted isn't even the tip of the iceberg. I'm sitting here in tears ... not from sadness but frustration and anger. We have the drugs and the procedures and protocols that can keep people from dying an agonizing "natural" death.

I can't even put two words together right now. I know what I want to say but I'm way too upset to say it. Sorry for being so damned incoherent.Nothing incoherent about what you said. You're like a soldier on the front lines.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:24 pm

Emma - Thank you for your service.

Sequoia32

Post by Sequoia32 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:03 pm

But [link]Texas has had 'death panels' since 1999,http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/03/24 ... since.html[/link].Since 1999, Texas has given hospital "ethics panels" the authority to end care even if the patient or family wants to continue.It's called the Advance Directives Act. The Texas Senate bill passed in 1999.Back then, the Senate's presiding officer was Lt. Gov. Rick Perry.Good heavens! Where are those Republican plank-writers on this?A Houston man's life was ended last week.A leukemia patient identified only as Willie was denied nourishment and died, according to Texas Right to Life.Willie went to the hospital a few weeks ago with chest pains, according to Texas Right to Life's Elizabeth Graham.Doctors found pneumonia and leukemia, Graham wrote. After Willie underwent surgery and chemotherapy, his family asked about another hospital or hospice care.Though he had plenty of insurance, no other facility would accept him. After the legally required 10 days, the hospital ended nourishment.We sent infants to Stanford for their ethics panel to deal with, but they do a full workup (our hospital couldn't do baby EEGs) before making a recommendation.I don't know for sure, but I think the family still made the final decision.

So far every case of Ebola in this country got it by helping people. So relax, Republicans, you're in the clear. - Tina Dupuy

kate520

Post by kate520 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:12 pm

Emma, I want you or your soul sisters to care for me and mine if, dog forbid... Namaste.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

borealis

Post by borealis » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:25 pm

Rant away Emma! I wish more people in this world had your courage, commitment and compassion!

MaineSkeptic

Post by MaineSkeptic » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:36 pm

You know, Emma, many of us would prefer to ignore stories like yours because they are so frightening. But our time will come, and when it does, we will be deeply grateful that people braver and more giving then ourselves chose to devote their lives to addressing a terrifying but all too common human need.Thank you for reminding me that the time to be grateful should begin earlier.

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:38 pm

Emma, I want you or your soul sisters to care for me and mine if, dog forbid... Namaste.Me too Emma. :hug: One of your soul sisters cared for my mom, and thank doG is all I can say. Her very end was just as you described, and after the morphine, she finally rested and died peacefully an hour later. I couldn't have sat through another hour of that. We can put our dogs down because it's the compassionate thing to do. We'd never let them suffer because we love them, but we are expected to sit and watch our loved ones suffer intolerable pain and and agony and die horrible deaths? Emma, you're an angel and I'm proud of you! :hug: :hug: :-*

Birfers are toast

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:05 pm

Emma, I want you or your soul sisters to care for me and mine if, dog forbid... Namaste.See also [link]"Nothing in his life Became him like the leaving it." - Macbeth,http://www.thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopi ... ife+Became[/link]

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Shagnastie

Post by Shagnastie » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:56 pm

From the bottom of my heart, thank you, Emma. At my age, I've lost a lot of people close to me, and although I haven't always been able to feel fully grateful to the doctors and health care administrators who attended to them, the nurses and attendants constantly gave 110% and have all my admiration.The idiots who wrote that platform have no concept of suffering at any level. For them, it's all about "enlightened self-interest", just a nice way of saying "greed, prejudice, arrogance and egotism". :evil:

DaveMuckey

Post by DaveMuckey » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:29 pm

We are opposed to genocide, euthanasia, and assisted suicide. We oppose legislation allowing the withholding of nutrition and hydration to the terminally ill ... We believe that doctors, nurses, pharmacists, any employees of hospitals and insurance companies, health care organizations, medical and scientific research students, and any employee should be protected by Texas law if they conscientiously object to participate in practices that conflict with their moral or religious beliefs, including but not limited to abortion, the prescription for and dispensing of drugs with abortifacient potential, human cloning, embryonic stem cell research, eugenic screenings, euthanasia, assisted suicide, and the withdrawal of nutrition and hydration.This is very reminiscent of the RTL arguments during Oregon's referenda on our Death with Dignity laws. We voted it in; twice. Now that we have it, just a few take advantage every year. [link]Chart,http://www.deathwithdignity.org/sites/d ... DChart.pdf[/link]

Highlands

Post by Highlands » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:38 pm

Emma, when I finally graduate nursing school, I can only hope that I'm half the nurse that you are. :hug:

If you took out all of the blood vessels in your body and lined them up, you would be dead. #science

Shagnastie

Post by Shagnastie » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:40 am

I know the Texas State Board of Education and its vagaries have been discussed in other threads, but this seems to fit in with the current GOP platform and the upcoming elections:[/break1]talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/07/texas_education_board_emails_george_clayton.php?ref=fpnewsfeed]http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.c ... fpnewsfeedThe Dallas area has elected some Dems recently and there was a ray of hope that this might represent a trend. Turning back a moderate Repub doesn't look good. Hopefully teh stoopid will turn enough people off to keep Clayton in place and more RWNJs off the SBOE....but don't bet the farm on it. [-(

Emma

Post by Emma » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:40 am

Thank you all for such kind words. I am rather embarrassed; in spite of many of my posts to the contrary, I'm really not a psycho-bitch. There are few subjects that truly get my blood boiling, and this (obviously) is one of them.

Wintermute

Post by Wintermute » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:43 am

We turned Dallas county blue in '06. There may be hope for Texas soon.

Tuck
Frump
It's not original but Fuck Trump that guy!

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:36 am

Thank you all for such kind words. I am rather embarrassed; in spite of many of my posts to the contrary, I'm really not a psycho-bitch. There are few subjects that truly get my blood boiling, and this (obviously) is one of them.If your blood does not boil when you are faced with such tripe, you might not be alive.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:44 am

We turned Dallas county blue in '06. There may be hope for Texas soon.It's a huge uphill battle. I know a trial lawyer who tried a couple of cases up in Dallas earlier this year. He told me he was pleasantly surprised at the diversity of the jurors, and their willingness to give plaintiffs a fair shake, juxtaposed with Harris County, and the Rush Limbaugh Lovin' Loons who populate a good part of the jury pool.

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

Wintermute

Post by Wintermute » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:36 pm

Craig Watson has been a great DA. And Lupe Valdez and Clay Jenkins are doing great jobs.

Tuck
Frump
It's not original but Fuck Trump that guy!

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:43 pm

I have a new heroine, and her name is Emma. Makes me glad I put in written compliments and thanks for the great nurses I had when I was in the hospital last year. I doubt Emma's patients can even manage that much.Emma, if you can't vent here, where can you vent? It's healthy. You have to let it out sometimes. :hug:

Kindly recall that I'm a 44th degree Jedi Master.

Return to “Governors & State Elections”