"Terrifying" Texas GOP Platform - 2012

Shagnastie

Post by Shagnastie » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:04 pm

The Texas GOP released its 2012 platform the last week in June and I just finished reading it. Took a little longer than it should have because it kept sucking all the air out of the room and I had to go outside to breathe. Still a little dizzy.

This document is one everybody should read. It encapsulates as policy just about every bad idea the right has come up with in the last 50 years, and current political reality in Texas almost guarantees that the state's citizens will have this much of this poison shoved down their throats. Of course, many will take it take it willingly and then wonder what's making them sick.

I can't really do justice to all the bad, but here are a few highlights:

1. Religion - By several methods, direct injection of religion into government.

2. Education - Reduce funding for education at all levels and cease the teaching of "Higher Order

and Critical Thinking Skills". Utilize corporal punishment.

3. Suffrage - Repeal the Voting Rights Act.

4. Marriage - One Man /One Woman.

5. Money - Eliminate the Fed and return to the Gold Standard.

6. Social Security - Privatize it.

7. Taxes - Repeal the Sixteenth and go to a (regressive) national consumption tax.

8. Abortion - Never under any circumstances!

7. Traffic Law - "Banning the Use of Red Light Cameras – We oppose the manner in which alleged

vehicle violations are documented and fines levied against individuals without proof of their having

been the driver of the offending vehicle and we call for the ban on Red Light Cameras in the

State of Texas." (So all GOPers can race to the next precinct meeting without irritating pauses)

Here's a link: [/break1]texasgop.org/about-the-party]http://www.texasgop.org/about-the-party

Word of advice: since reading the whole thing might affect your mental/intestinal stability, use the page index to locate items of interest to you and avoid the rest. :sick:

There's been a lot of interesting news and blog commentary about this, so Google "Texas GOP Platform 2012" to get some views.

Suerte, Amigos!

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:13 pm

Well I can actually agree with # 7.

Sequoia32

Post by Sequoia32 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:39 pm

Golly, they're birfers :lol: :Candidate Eligibility - A candidate running for office should be required to reside within the geographical boundaries of the office sought. The Secretary of State shall be required to certify that State and Federal Candidates placed on Ballots proffered in Texas meets the Statutory Requirements for the Office sought. A candidate must submit to the Secretary of State proof of qualifications for the office being sought, including proof of citizenship [highlight]and in the case of a presidential candidate, an original or certified copy of a valid birth certificate[/highlight].Gee, but not a vice-presidential candidate... :roll:

So far every case of Ebola in this country got it by helping people. So relax, Republicans, you're in the clear. - Tina Dupuy

Sequoia32

Post by Sequoia32 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:46 pm

Homosexual behavior is contrary to the fundamental, unchanging truths that have been ordained by God, [highlight]recognized by our country’s founders[/highlight], and shared by the majority of Texans.Did I miss something in the Constitution or the Bill of Rights or anywhere else where the Founders even mentioned homosexuality???

So far every case of Ebola in this country got it by helping people. So relax, Republicans, you're in the clear. - Tina Dupuy

Sequoia32

Post by Sequoia32 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:21 pm

oppose mandatory pre-school and Kindergartenoppose any sex education other than abstinence until marriageoppose the mandated use of Smart MetersWe believe the Minimum Wage Law should be repealedlimit citizenship by birth to those born to a citizen of the United States with no exceptions

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:13 pm

meh. pick a state. any state.how about iowa?[/break1]org/platform.php]http://iowagop.org/platform.phpanybody got link to tennessee?they are all the same.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:34 pm

They're Whigging themselves into the dustbin; the party America left behind. It's a privilege to be here observing the pageant.

"When my fist clenches, crack it open,
before I use it and lose my cool,
and when I smile, tell me some bad news,
before I laugh, and act like a fool."
- The Who

borealis

Post by borealis » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:54 pm

Foggy: Everything is pretty draconian but how does the red light camera ban figure into this equation? Chicago suburbs have had more accidents due to the cameras and they cost municipalities more to operate than they get back in ticket revenue. Some communities have already suspended their use.The last motorists in queue tend to speed through the yellow light, causing rear end accidents. Here's a newsclip.

DaveMuckey

Post by DaveMuckey » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:05 pm

Probably has something to do with their right to travel... very fast.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:19 pm

Homosexual behavior is contrary to the fundamental, unchanging truths that have been ordained by God, [highlight]recognized by our country’s founders[/highlight], and shared by the majority of Texans.Did I miss something in the Constitution or the Bill of Rights or anywhere else where the Founders even mentioned homosexuality???Only when talking about Alexander Hamilton.

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:51 am

Saw a bit on ABC Evening News tonight about red light runners, based on data from red light cameras nationwide.Seems that the majority of red light runners involved in (read causing) "accidents" are whilte males, many of them either texting or drunk. Or both. I think that the word "angry" may also have been used, but I might be extrapolating. Or just making shit up.That said, no wonder the GOP is agin it; it's their base getting the tickets!

Image Image Image Image Image

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:55 am

This video has been making the rounds today. Driver was legally drunk.He lived.

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:04 am

Yah, that was the lead vid in the ABC story I mentioned.

Image Image Image Image Image

Wintermute

Post by Wintermute » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:55 am

I"m sure there is a plank to be able to drive drunk very fast legally.

Tuck
Frump
It's not original but Fuck Trump that guy!

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:00 am

They're Whigging themselves into the dustbin; the party America left behind. It's a privilege to be here observing the pageant.I so hope that is true. However, it will take more than the defeat of Rmoney to finish them off. Democrats taking back the House and increasing their hold on the Senate would be a good first step. They must also fail at the state level.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Emma

Post by Emma » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:03 am

We also believe that no homosexual or any individual convicted of child abuse or molestation should have the right to custody or adoption of a minor child, and that visitation with minor children by such persons should be prohibited but if ordered by the court limited to supervised periods.

I should have known better than to start reading this tripe before going to bed. Now my blood pressure's through the roof and I'll never get to sleep :evil:

realist

Post by realist » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:29 am

Off Topic
How can the camera cause more accidents ? The camera only witnesses a red-light infraction. So the red lights should be banned.

No idea what the correlation is, but in my fair city, which installed the red light cameras initially to snag those running the red light and then was extended to also tag those speeding, numbers existed pre-installation on which intersections had more accidents and the cameras were installed initially at those intersections to hopefully curb those numbers.

At a point at least a couple of years after installation studies were done to examine their effectiveness and indeed the number of accidents at those intersections had actually increased rather than decreased.

In addition, the city was in the hole monetarily, in a significant amount, to the company from whom they contracted to install and maintain the cameras, mostly due to the fact that it was a civil and not a criminal offense [highlight]when tagged by the camera[/highlight] for running the light or speeding. Therefore, many if not most just didn't pay. AFAIK, they are still in the negative millions.

Yeah, they took the lights out some time ago.

ImageX 4 ImageX36

borealis

Post by borealis » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:36 am

Motorists in high traffic areas tend to psychologically rush through a yellow light for fear that the red light and camera will catch them. These cameras malfunction frequently. I remember cameras flashes at one particular intersection. The cameras had gone haywire. Interesting to note that white males tend to be biggest offender in some studies. I have seen a lot of women get into accidents too. Red light cameras are a good idea but sadly only in theory.

A Legal Lohengrin

Post by A Legal Lohengrin » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:41 am

Motorists in high traffic areas tend to psychologically rush through a yellow light for fear that the red light and camera will catch them. These cameras malfunction frequently. I remember cameras flashes at one particular intersection. The cameras had gone haywire. Interesting to note that white males tend to be biggest offender in some studies. I have seen a lot of women get into accidents too. Red light cameras are a good idea but sadly only in theory.There are actually two causes of increased accidents. One is rushing through a yellow light, but the other is suddenly screeching to a halt out of panic about getting a ticket. This is a case where, while a police officer would have discretion to give a ticket or not, the camera will certainly get you. So those drivers are more likely to get rear-ended. I'm not sure this is really off-topic for this thread, since the red light thing is in the GOP platform this thread is about. Red light cameras are bad public policy, so I'll agree with them on that one thing.

Shagnastie

Post by Shagnastie » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:30 am

I believe that the purpose of party platforms is to deal with issues of consequence and not with specific traffic laws or methods of enforcement. I threw that "plank" in with the other examples to try to illustrate how childish, pig-headed and off-center the Texas GOP is.

Might be useful to note that various Texas turnpike authorities utilize cameras to read license plates and monitor traffic on the state's toll roads, but the Pugs don't complain about that. Prolly 'cause those cameras help put cash into the pockets of corporations.

Adrianinflorida

Post by Adrianinflorida » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:49 pm

I"m sure there is a plank to be able to drive drunk very fast legally.On the way to the gun shop to buy fully automatic weapons, on a motorcycle, without a helmet.

Plutodog

Post by Plutodog » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:18 pm

Increased rear-end accidents are expected with the red lite cams. What they hope to decrease is the more deadly T-bone accident. Further, tickets aren't supposed to be sent out until an officer reviews the video of each case. That said, I don't like the damned things either.

The only good Bundy is an Al Bundy.

Emma

Post by Emma » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:20 am

We are opposed to genocide, euthanasia, and assisted suicide. We oppose legislation allowing the withholding of nutrition and hydration to the terminally ill ... We believe that doctors, nurses, pharmacists, any employees of hospitals and insurance companies, health care organizations, medical and scientific research students, and any employee should be protected by Texas law if they conscientiously object to participate in practices that conflict with their moral or religious beliefs, including but not limited to abortion, the prescription for and dispensing of drugs with abortifacient potential, human cloning, embryonic stem cell research, eugenic screenings, euthanasia, assisted suicide, and the withdrawal of nutrition and hydration.First of all, there is no euthanasia here. Symptom relief and pain management is NOT euthanasia.

I dare these assholes to spend a "12 hour"* night with me pounding the floors on my oncology / palliative care unit. Watch what these poor souls go through as they are desperately trying to leave this world, and watch as the nurses and doctors do everything in their power to make them as comfortable as possible, to give them the chance to die with peace and dignity and as pain-free as possible.

Like the 50-something w/lung cancer who started screaming for help at 3AM because she couldn't breathe ... and yeah, I medicated the shit out of her with morphine and ativan and haldol and bumex and oxygen --- because I refused to allow her to be awake and alert while she suffocated. 2 long hours later she was finally comfortable and thanking us for helping her.

Or the 60-something with glioblastoma and a brain abscess in flash pulmonary edema, spewing frothy sputum from her mouth and nose, vomiting stool and crying out in pain. Yeah, I upped her morphine, too. Way the hell up. Requested and received an order for a continuous Ativan drip.

Or the other 60-something with metastatic lung cancer so confused and delirious that she didn't even realize she had a hip fracture due to the cancer spreading to her bones, and throughout the night was climbing out of bed yelling and screaming that she had to 'get going'. As I tried to comfort and reassure her, she began crying and shaking all over and asked me, "Why am I so sad". Yeah, I hit her with some meds too.

Or the cutest, sweetest little ol' lady I've ever seen in my life (and I've seen a lot), supposedly unresponsive, but moaning with every move with tears in her eyes. Yep, you guessed it. Dosed with morphine throughout the night. This "unresponsive" woman smiled at me when I told her I was going to give her something for her pain.

Or perhaps they'd like to explain to the daughter of another patient why her mother should be allowed to die "naturally" without what they (mistakenly) refer to as "euthanasia". Tell her that it's only natural that her mother experience extreme delirium, pulling at her lines and digging deep furrows in her chest, yelling out in agony as her colon sloughs into a drainage bag hanging off the side of the bed.

Yeah, I'm pissed off. I'm venting. It's been a particularly stressful 3 nights and I've got another coming up that doesn't look like it's going to be any better. As bad as it was, I left satisfied with my care, knowing I had eased their pain, I'd calmed their terror, and for the two that died tonight I helped their last moments be as peaceful as possible.

But I am dead serious.

I. Dare. Them. :evil:

*12 hours my ass. Try 13 -16.

Wintermute

Post by Wintermute » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:22 am

Thank you Emma.

Tuck
Frump
It's not original but Fuck Trump that guy!

Emma

Post by Emma » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:26 am

Thank you Emma.Thank you for putting up with my rant. You all have no idea how angry this shit makes me.

Return to “Governors & State Elections”