poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️🥥🌴✅

Michele "Bubbles" Fiore, Poot Adjacent Las Vegas Nitwit

Post by poplove »

bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Tuesday Sept 3 before Magistrate Judge Couvillier.

My guess on pronouncing his last name is koo-vil-yay.
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

bill_g wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 1:13 am Tuesday Sept 3 before Magistrate Judge Couvillier.

My guess on pronouncing his last name is koo-vil-yay.
My minor in French would say "coo-vee-yay." But what do I know; regions have their own quirks in pronunciation. When we moved from Houston to Nashville, I looked high and low for a street called (as I was told) "la-FAY-et." Eventually I realized they meant Lafayette. LOL I'd always pronounced "lafayette" as lah-fee-YET (except for the the town in Louisiana which I always heard native Louisianans pronounce as "laugh-fee-YET" (the "la" part pronounced like the a in lap or lag). My town in Alabama also says it la-FAY-et.

There's a road near Galveston (futrher north on 45) named Vauthier. My French brain says vo-tee-AY, but the locals say vo-SHAY.

Before they changed it when they made things uniform for 911, there was a street here named West North Blvd.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Kalamazoo still has a West North Street, an East North Street, a West South Street and an East South Street.

South Street is hardly South in Kazoo, but it probably was when they named it.

If you go south to Sturgis, you can drive on E. West Street, or W. West Street.
101010 :towel:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Post by Foggy »

Off Topic
Here we have Kerr Lake and Kerr Drug stores and and Kerr YMCA and all kinds of other Kerrs.

All pronounced Car. :roll:
I'm Foggy and I forget if I approved this message.
bob

Post by bob »

Off Topic
Rolodex wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 12:28 pm My minor in French would say "coo-vee-yay." But what do I know; regions have their own quirks in pronunciation. When we moved from Houston to Nashville, I looked high and low for a street called (as I was told) "la-FAY-et." Eventually I realized they meant Lafayette. LOL I'd always pronounced "lafayette" as lah-fee-YET (except for the the town in Louisiana which I always heard native Louisianans pronounce as "laugh-fee-YET" (the "la" part pronounced like the a in lap or lag). My town in Alabama also says it la-FAY-et.
In my experience, if you go to New Orleans with someone who speaks French, the locals can't understand how they pronounce the street names. But if you tell a French speaker to mangle the names the in the worst way possible, the locals instantly understand you.
Image ImageImage
Reddog

Post by Reddog »

Off-topic pronunciation.
► Show Spoiler
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

Oh gosh New Orleans is its own thing. My mother was from Louisiana and lived in NOLA after college. My whole life growing up we'd go spend a couple of weeks in NOLA and I have relatives there (and other places in LA). My GPS cracks me up trying to pronounce road names there. Natives have their own pronunciations for things there that bear no resemblance to ...anything - but it lets you know who's a visitor and who's a native.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
realist

Post by realist »

Rolodex wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 5:50 pm Oh gosh New Orleans is its own thing. My mother was from Louisiana and lived in NOLA after college. My whole life growing up we'd go spend a couple of weeks in NOLA and I have relatives there (and other places in LA). My GPS cracks me up trying to pronounce road names there. Natives have their own pronunciations for things there that bear no resemblance to ...anything - but it lets you know who's a visitor and who's a native.
Small world. My mom was born in Westwego and lived there until her mid-to-late 20s. I've visited NOLA many, many times. I also have many relatives there and in several parishes around NOLA.

And you are absolutely correct on the pronounciation of words. I remember (for some odd reason) a trip there. It was late at night and (before GPS) we were sorta lost. We saw a group of kids (teenagers) shooting dice on the corner. My dad pulled up next to them and asked directions. They told us. My dad nor I could understand very little of what they said. My mom being a native understood every word. :lol:
Image X 4
Image X 33
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Riddle me this, why is Bonnet Carre pronounced Bonnie Carrie, but Vieux Carre is pronounced Voo Caray?
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

sugar magnolia wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 9:22 pm Riddle me this, why is Bonnet Carre pronounced Bonnie Carrie, but Vieux Carre is pronounced Voo Caray?
Porquois pas?
Image Image Image Image
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Estiveo wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 9:25 pm
sugar magnolia wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 9:22 pm Riddle me this, why is Bonnet Carre pronounced Bonnie Carrie, but Vieux Carre is pronounced Voo Caray?
Porquois pas?
That should be the motto of NOLA, come to think of it.
Reddog

Post by Reddog »

It’s been several years ago, I watched a documentary of Mardi Gras. I remember commenting that it sounded like they imported extra police officers from Brooklyn. It turns out that it’s an accent “yat” common to downtown New Orleans.
Later I read “A Confederacy of Dunces”. In the forward the author acknowledges and explains the reason for the similarities. It’s not an accent that is portrayed in New Orleans movies generally.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Multi comment.

In Melbourne Australia suburbs there are streets named North Road, Centre Road, and South Road. While South Road is indeed south of North Road and Centre Road is between them, North Road is nowhere the North of the city and never has been. At least South Road is pretty much where the south used to be once upon a time. But Australia doesn't use directional code - there is no West North Road. But streets are numbered from where they start in whatever suburb they are in. There is a 1 Fitzroy Street Collingwood, and a 1 Fitzroy Street Carlton - and they are across the street from each other.

We've had this conversation before: is it Dee-troyt, Dee-troy-it, Day-twah, or one of several other versions I've heard?
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

bob wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 2:20 pm
Off Topic
Rolodex wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 12:28 pm My minor in French would say "coo-vee-yay." But what do I know; regions have their own quirks in pronunciation. When we moved from Houston to Nashville, I looked high and low for a street called (as I was told) "la-FAY-et." Eventually I realized they meant Lafayette. LOL I'd always pronounced "lafayette" as lah-fee-YET (except for the the town in Louisiana which I always heard native Louisianans pronounce as "laugh-fee-YET" (the "la" part pronounced like the a in lap or lag). My town in Alabama also says it la-FAY-et.
In my experience, if you go to New Orleans with someone who speaks French, the locals can't understand how they pronounce the street names. But if you tell a French speaker to mangle the names the in the worst way possible, the locals instantly understand you.
Interesting. When I lived in South Louisiana the local Cajuns pronounced it LAUGH-ee-et.
"It actually doesn't take much to be considered a difficult woman. That's why there are so many of us."

--Jane Goodall
scirreeve

Post by scirreeve »

One of the new charges was for defrauding a labor union (allegedly).
https://thenevadaindependent.com/articl ... d-by-fiore
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

I hope they pile on a bunch more. With luck the trial will be streamed.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Rolodex wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 1:26 pm With luck the trial will be streamed.
Federal Court so I seriously doubt it.
101010 :towel:
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

RATS! maybe someone will live tweet. Wonder if she'll just plead out. I can't decide if she'll try to save her own skin by pleading or if she's so in the tank believing her own bs that she'll insist on a trial so the world can see how right she is.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

She might try for jury nullification
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

Dave from down under wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 3:50 pm She might try for jury nullification
Oooh good call. Definitely what Tina Peters was trying for at her trial in Colorado. One guy even had a sign outside calling for it.
poplove

Post by poplove »

Rolodex wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 4:50 pm
Dave from down under wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 3:50 pm She might try for jury nullification
Oooh good call. Definitely what Tina Peters was trying for at her trial in Colorado. One guy even had a sign outside calling for it.
H/t Scir on twitter. The government is going to nip her jury nullification attempt in the bud:

https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/68 ... s-v-fiore/
https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/68 ... s-v-fiore/
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

Good catch! Hope this is another trial we can tune in for!
poplove

Post by poplove »

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

It's hilarious she mentions support for the Bundy fight against the government. Yeah, this is you defrauding people. Not the same.

Return to “Bundys and their elk”