CA-30

ObjectiveDoubter

CA-30

Post by ObjectiveDoubter » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:35 am

Horrible Shame, this one.[tab=30]http://www.scpr.org/blogs/politics/2012 ... sherman/In 2001, Howard Berman's brother, as sharp a political consultant as there is anywhere in the US (and "inventor" of the slate mailer) was hired by the Sacto pols to draw up the new districts. Virtually every district was drawn to protect incumbents of both parties, in a typical backroom deal. I always say that when the California Dem and GOP parties agree on anything, it's got to be really, really bad for the people.Berman's district had become progressively more Latino. In 1998, he won the primary against an unfunded Latino who nonetheless got 25% of the vote without having done more than putting his name on the ballot. To diffuse any potential threat to his reelection, Berman's brother chopped up the community, dumping many Latino voters into Sherman's next-door district. And creating a bizarre gerrymandered snaking district with the center cut out; Sherman then represented Burbank to Woodland Hills, but not Studio City and most of Sherman Oaks, directly in between. Being the buffoon that he is, Sherman made a public stink of it at the time, whining all the way to Sacramento. The problem for Sherman is that other California pols have no respect for him.Howard Berman did a lot of good things in congress for America and for the Valley. Despite being mad at him for his support of the war in Iraq, I voted for him. Very sad day for the Valley. The buffoon that Sherman is makes him incapable of ever achieving even a tenth of Berman's legislative prowess.

kate520

CA-30

Post by kate520 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:44 am

I worked with the Berman brothers on the 1980 redistricting. The gerrymandering was even worse, then. They had everyone calling with requests. " I don't care how you do it, but make sure my mother is in my district." Drieir's district, for one example, ended up being, like, two miles wide and a hundred miles long, with very little common interest connecting the communities it encompassed.Ours was the first reapportionment to be done by computer. Oy, the data! I could tell you back then, with some precision and without looking, how any given block in my assigned precincts voted. Howard was an important part of the progressive caucus. Sigh.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

ObjectiveDoubter

CA-30

Post by ObjectiveDoubter » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:42 pm

I worked with the Berman brothers on the 1980 redistricting. The gerrymandering was even worse, then. They had everyone calling with requests. " I don't care how you do it, but make sure my mother is in my district." Drieir's district, for one example, ended up being, like, two miles wide and a hundred miles long, with very little common interest connecting the communities it encompassed.Ours was the first reapportionment to be done by computer. Oy, the data! I could tell you back then, with some precision and without looking, how any given block in my assigned precincts voted. Howard was an important part of the progressive caucus. Sigh.I was at the event where Rep. Berman made his infamous remark, explaining why he went over the heads of party leadership to offer his support to W for the Iraq War. He said he'd had the chance "to rethink the morality of war." Pretty horrible. But in that same moment, no one could fault him for his candor. He had integrity, something that is foreign to Brad Sherman. I disagreed on Iraq and his coziness with AIPAC, but he was a brilliant legislator most often on the Left.This is a true story: In early 1997, right after his first election, Sherman agreed to speak in North Hollywood at a weekend event in October of that year. In writing. Newsletters went out promoting the event. Communication between his staff the week before the event went well. The Monday before, however, Sherman unexpectedly and cavalierly canceled. He, himself, called and said he'd just found out that the event was outside his district, and then said -- his exact words (well as they circulated through those involved), "what's in it for me?" With the event still planned, someone got the brilliant idea to call Howard Berman in DC. He said he'd rearrange his flight home that weekend to an earlier time, and he stood in for that buffoon Sherman. That is a true story. I was personally involved. And furious.

Sterngard Friegen

CA-30

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:48 pm

Sherman is a Harvard Law graduate and a complete embarrassment. During the financial meltdown of 2008 he became a wild conspiracy theorist.

ObjectiveDoubter

CA-30

Post by ObjectiveDoubter » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:16 pm

Sherman is a Harvard Law graduate and a complete embarrassment. During the financial meltdown of 2008 he became a wild conspiracy theorist.And you can count on him being our member of Congress for another 20 years. But even if he cannot legislate, he'll have lots of town hall meetings on Israel (since he's such a pandering clown, always looking for the next campaign contribution and nothing else). Whoo hoo!

vic

CA-30

Post by vic » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:36 pm

Went to high school with his brother (Michael).

ObjectiveDoubter

CA-30

Post by ObjectiveDoubter » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:42 am

Went to high school with his brother (Michael).I think that Howard Berman first represented the Westside, no? He had a little bit of the Valley and then when he ran for Congress, pushed his way deeper into the Valley altogether. I'm wondering if Obama will give him a position.

Return to “U.S. House of Representatives”