Incredibly Good News in the Desert!

ObjectiveDoubter

Post by ObjectiveDoubter » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:42 pm

I never expected this one. Whoo hoo!

http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/s43 ... r/ruiz.png

How out of touch was Mary Bono and how did she get re-elected 7 times? In 2001, redistricting in California was done by the pols. Bono's district was one of the most severely gerrymandered, meandering deep into San Diego county in the south from Palm Springs and cutting out any and all significant swathes of registered Democrats -- especially Latinos. In 2005, she married Florida Rep. Connie Mack and pretty much took up residence in Florida, without trying very hard to hide it. She was rarely seen in the Coachella Desert she supposedly represented. Although she was one of a handful of GOPs who voted for the repeal of Don't-Ask-Don't Tell she was vocal about her opposition to marriage equality, in the most gay community (by percentage) in America.

After Congressional redistricting by an independent commission rather than the pols, in 2011, the new desert district was no longer gerrymandered, and split evenly between Dems and GOPs. Bono, never having to run much of a campaign before, took to the airwaves big time with scurrilous ads that condemned Dr. Ruiz, her opponent, as a radical and unAmerican. His crime? Having participated in demonstrations for native Americans while in medical school at Harvard. Her ads led to the head of the Agua Caliente tribe -- a huge voice in Palm Springs where more than half of the land is owned by native Americans and leased back long-term to home owners -- roundly condemning Bono's ads as demeaning and insulting to Native Americans. Ironically, the district had its own "47 percent" issue beyond rmoney's insensitive statement: that is also the percentage of the desert district that is non-White.

Her smear campaign -- while she spent most of her time in Florida with Connie M. -- led in part to the conservative Gannett paper, The Desert Sun, doing the unthinkable: While endorsing Romney, it also endorsed Dem Dr. Ruiz against Bono. Pretty emblematic of her non-representative ways of representing the district, despite being in the desert last weekend, Bono was the only desert elected official that did not appear in the huge Gay Pride Parade down Palm Canyon in Palm Springs on Sunday. It was a topic on the street that day, that she wasn't really a representative anything, just someone who lived in DC and Florida and played politician at the expense of the district. Three days later, she is TOAST.

So one more victory to celebrate today.

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:48 pm

I saw that last night and meant to post it. Now, she and hubby 3 and a half Macks will have lots of free time together down in Florida.Gerrymandering! A great old American tradition that both parties cling to so that they preserve 'safe' seats. Get rid of this and a lot of other problems will disappear.

ducktape

Post by ducktape » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:54 pm

Congratulations, Palm Springs! This is such sweet news.

And it looks like goodbye to Dan Lundgren (CA-7) and Brian Bilbray (CA-52) ....

Plus Prop 30 (temp tax for schools) YES, and Prop 32 (remove unions from politics) NO ...

And maybe one of the sweetest of all for Californians, although many may not realize it yet or what it means .... [/break1]mercurynews.com/california-budget/ci_21948699/california-democrats-seize-super-majorities-both-houses-legislature]California Democrats seize super majorities in both houses of Legislature, and we may finally be able to end our budget deadlock and get the state back to the way it's supposed to be!

ObjectiveDoubter

Post by ObjectiveDoubter » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:04 pm

Plus Prop 30 (temp tax for schools) YES, and Prop 32 (remove unions from politics) NO ...

And maybe one of the sweetest of all for Californians, although many may not realize it yet or what it means .... [/break1]mercurynews.com/california-budget/ci_21948699/california-democrats-seize-super-majorities-both-houses-legislature]California Democrats seize super majorities in both houses of Legislature, and we may finally be able to end our budget deadlock and get the state back to the way it's supposed to be![tab=30]Oh, I didn't see that about Lundgren. Ta ta and toodle oo, Dan! http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/bye/b ... oticon.gif

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:09 pm

Wow, great job California! Maybe I should move there. If I could afford it.
I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill! I believe Dr. Ford!

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:11 pm

Wow, great job California! Maybe I should move there. If I could afford it. Don't worry about affording it. Most of the people who are here can't afford it. They just can't afford to lose their sanity by dealing with what other folks have to put up with. :mrgreen:

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:12 pm

♫♪ It ain't you babe ♫♪
I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:15 pm

♫♪ It ain't you babe ♫♪ :lol:
I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill! I believe Dr. Ford!

Taverl

Post by Taverl » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:48 pm

Wow, great job California! Maybe I should move there. If I could afford it. Hey, if you ever visit, I'll happily show you around some neighborhoods... ;;)

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:07 pm

Great news!
Every locked door has a key. - Emika Chen

Curious Blue

Post by Curious Blue » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:32 pm

California has just elected super-majorities to both house of the state legislature. That means that the GOP ha become essentially irrelevant to to the state. I think this is a direct result of the putting the task of redistricting into the hand of a nonpartisan commission, coupled with our new non-partisan primary system. We are a strong Democratic state where the Republicans were over-represented due to gerrymandered districts and the natural result of a 2-party primary system. Now that the Republicans have to run in districts that actually resemble the communities where they live, they are going to have to make some big changes before they can regain their foothold. And we also passed Prop 30, raising our own taxes to save our schools.

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:01 am

And maybe one of the sweetest of all for Californians, although many may not realize it yet or what it means .... [/break1]mercurynews.com/california-budget/ci_21948699/california-democrats-seize-super-majorities-both-houses-legislature]California Democrats seize super majorities in both houses of Legislature, and we may finally be able to end our budget deadlock and get the state back to the way it's supposed to be!Wow, I didn't realize Bilbray was trailing. The last I saw he was up by 3~4 points. It's only 0.34% margin, so I'd guess a recount is in the cards, but this is still happy news. For those who don't know, what is now CA-52 used to be Randy "Duke" Cunningham's old seat. During the special election in 2006 the Democratic regular, Francine Busby, won the primary but didn't have enough votes for a majority, and lost the runoff election to Brian Bilbray. Not entirely surprising, as Busby was a pretty weak candidate (you don't run your best candidates against a super secure candidate like Cunningham, so the party let the "also-ran" go up against him so he's have something to compete against). Brian Bilbray portrayed himself as a moderate, eco-friendly, Republican surfer dude. That wasn't quite accurate, and he also didn't actually live in the district (he used his Mother's address as his legal address). Nevertheless, no one very strong has run against him until now.

ObjectiveDoubter

Post by ObjectiveDoubter » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:15 am

Wow, great job California! Maybe I should move there. If I could afford it. Hey, if you ever visit, I'll happily show you around some neighborhoods... ;;)And swing down to newly-BLUE Palm Springs. We likes Texans who go against the red, red grain!

bob

Post by bob » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:00 am

I think this is a direct result of the putting the task of redistricting into the hand of a nonpartisan commission, coupled with our new non-partisan primary system. We are a strong Democratic state where the Republicans were over-represented due to gerrymandered districts and the natural result of a 2-party primary system. Now that the Republicans have to run in districts that actually resemble the communities where they live, they are going to have to make some big changes before they can regain their foothold.It is especially delicious because republicans thought monkeying with electoral process would benefit them.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Curious Blue

Post by Curious Blue » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:15 am

I think this is a direct result of the putting the task of redistricting into the hand of a nonpartisan commission, coupled with our new non-partisan primary system. We are a strong Democratic state where the Republicans were over-represented due to gerrymandered districts and the natural result of a 2-party primary system. Now that the Republicans have to run in districts that actually resemble the communities where they live, they are going to have to make some big changes before they can regain their foothold.It is especially delicious because republicans thought monkeying with electoral process would benefit them.I agree Even at the time the initiative to set up the districting commission was on the ballot, I had a gut sense that it would benefit democrats more than republicans. I can't remember for certain how I voted, but I think I voted in favor of the commission. I know my thinking was influenced by playing an on-line simulation game -- [/break1]gamesforchange.org/play/the-redistricting-game/]http://www.gamesforchange.org/play/the- ... ting-game/ -- Similarly, I can't remember whether I was for or against the changes to the primary... it's hard for me because of course the Democratic party was against it..... but I also have a little bit of history of involvement with the Green Party, so I tend to be open to ideas that increase options for third parties.

Return to “U.S. House of Representatives”