MN-06

Addie

MN-06

Post by Addie » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:23 pm

[/break1]washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/post/next-for-michele-bachmann--retirement/2012/01/05/gIQA2C24cP_blog.html?wprss=the-fix]The Fix

Next for Michele Bachmann — retirement?

Political observers in Minnesota are skeptical that Bachmann will seek reelection this year while at the same time acknowledging that she would likely be a heavy favorite if she were to run for re-election in her current district.

But there are several factors that seem to suggest Bachmann may not take that electoral route.

First, Bachmann is now a national figure who doesn’t appear to have much to gain by staying the House.

She has always been shunned by the House GOP leadership and didn’t have much success spearheading the tea party caucus when she tried in 2010. She could certainly use her failed presidential campaign to try and expand her voice in Congress, but it’s not clear how successful such a strategy might be. ...

Bachmann has given no indications about her plans, but we would expect to get an idea sometime after the courts issue the state’s new congressional map, which is expected to come out Feb. 21.
Democracy is a garden that has to be tended. -Barack Obama

Piffle

MN-06

Post by Piffle » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:58 pm

Well, we can certainly hope. The country...nay, the world...would be better with her out of office.

She has always been shunned by the House GOP leadership and didn’t have much success spearheading the tea party caucus when she tried in 2010. She could certainly use her failed presidential campaign to try and expand her voice in Congress, but it’s not clear how successful such a strategy might be. ...Yup, from what I've read, her most excellent tea party caucus idea boomeranged on her. She thought it'd give her a podium and gavel akin to that of an ex officio party leader. Instead, it just pissed off the party apparatchiks who, if they value anything at all, jealously guard their noise machine. It's all about staying on message.

I think (hope) she's pretty well cooked at this point. Stick a fork in her.

DaveMuckey

MN-06

Post by DaveMuckey » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:08 pm

Bachmann will fill the lucrative niche that was formerly held by Sarah Palin. It's a job she is well qualified to fill.

Piffle

MN-06

Post by Piffle » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:34 pm

It seems to me the tea party caucus has done pretty well at being the tail wagging the Republican majority in the House for the last year. Their only defeat has been the extension of the payroll tax cut when Boehner told them no, suck it up and vote with your party. Perhaps, though, Bachmann had lost her leadership of the caucus.No argument from me that the tea party caucus has caused a disproportionate share of disruption and, yes, there's that tail-wagging-the-dog aspect, especially as we watch the current Republican candidates drift further and further toward the crazy-right fringes.But that doesn't mean that the old liners aren't out to take hide from the handful of more senior Republicans who helped organize the 'baggers into an opposition within the opposition. I don't think Bachmann gets a lot of love in the cloakrooms.

TollandRCR

MN-06

Post by TollandRCR » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:46 pm

Bachmann will fill the lucrative niche that was formerly held by Sarah Palin. It's a job she is well qualified to fill.Do you think that Bachman has the star power that Palin has with certain sub-populations? To some people, Palin is beautiful, while Bachman appears to be more than slightly crazed.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Sterngard Friegen

MN-06

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:48 pm

For all of her stoopidity and ignorance of history (and her estrangement from the truth), Michelle Bachman is a much more articulate speaker than Sarah Palin. She can actually speak in coherent sentences and express her wacky ideas in a meaningful way.

MaineSkeptic

MN-06

Post by MaineSkeptic » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:54 pm

For all of her stoopidity and ignorance of history (and her estrangement from the truth), Michelle Bachman is a much more articulate speaker than Sarah Palin. She can actually speak in coherent sentences and express her wacky ideas in a meaningful way.In a way, though, I think that worked to Sarah's advantage. Her blatherings had an ideological resonance, but they were almost completely content-free, which enabled her to avoid saying anything specific and thereby keep up her popularity with her base.

ZekeB

MN-06

Post by ZekeB » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:57 pm

I've never looked at the make-up of Bachmann's district. Minnesotans are more educated than those I'd expect to find with a teabag mentality. Minnesota usually goes blue as well. I would think if Bachmann represented a more urban area many of her ex-voters would be scratching their heads right now and asking themselves why they gave her the nod in the first place.
Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

Piffle

MN-06

Post by Piffle » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:11 pm

I've never looked at the make-up of Bachmann's district. Minnesotans are more educated than those I'd expect to find with a teabag mentality. Minnesota usually goes blue as well. I would think if Bachmann represented a more urban area many of her ex-voters would be scratching their heads right now and asking themselves why they gave her the nod in the first place.I believe Bachmann's (old) district consists primarily of 'burbs to the northwest of St. Paul.As for whether or not she will run again, the last sentence in the post above is very significant this year: Bachmann has given no indications about her plans, but we would expect to get an idea sometime [highlight]after the courts issue the state’s new congressional map[/highlight], which is expected to come out Feb. 21.I don't know what the court is likely to do, but the DFL plan that is the subject of litigation called for eliminating her district. But even if that isn't the final plan, almost any alternative would break up her tidy conservative enclave and force her to run against an incumbant Democrat (DFL). It's been speculated for months that she'd have a hard time winning in any configuration other than the district she represents now.

Whatever4

MN-06

Post by Whatever4 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:44 pm

I don't know what the court is likely to do, but the DFL plan that is the subject of litigation called for eliminating her district. But even if that isn't the final plan, almost any alternative would break up her tidy conservative enclave and force her to run against an incumbant Democrat (DFL). It's been speculated for months that she'd have a hard time winning in any configuration other than the district she represents now.The polar opposite of Barney Frank's problem, as Michele is Barney's opposite in so many ways. Sekrit Stuffs!
Except possibly that they both may have gay partners. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

MaineSkeptic

MN-06

Post by MaineSkeptic » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:46 pm

The polar opposite of Barney Frank's problem, as Michele is Barney's opposite in so many ways. Sekrit Stuffs!
Except possibly that they both may have gay partners. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Oh how I'd love to see Marcus try to cure Barney!

Joseph Robidoux III

MN-06

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:52 pm

Congresswoman Crazy has decided to run for re-election to her 4th term.Unless redistricting radically changes Minnesota's Republican-leaning 6th District, Bachmann figures to be a heavy favorite. Other Republican hopefuls had stood aside awaiting her decision. No Democrats have yet declared for the race.[/break1]realclearpolitics.com/articles/2012/01/25/bachmann_says_shell_seek_fourth_term_in_house_112906.html]http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articl ... 12906.html

Joseph Robidoux III

MN-06

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:15 pm

Michele Bachmann should be favored in the newly drawn Minnesota 6th congressional district. Politico describes the district as a "Republican-friendly district in the suburban Twin Cities area" that is slightly more Red than her present one.The map, released Tuesday afternoon, was crafted by a five-judge panel that had been tasked with drawing the lines after Democratic Gov. Mark Dayton and the Republican-controlled state legislature failed to reach a compromise on the state’s redistricting.The court placed Bachmann in the same Democratic-leaning, 4th district seat as nearby Democratic Rep. Betty McCollum, but it left an adjacent, northern Minnesota-based 6th seat vacant that the Republican congresswoman has chosen to run in.Bachmann, whose Stillwater home is located in the new 4th district, immediately announced on Tuesday that she would move in order to run in the 6th district. After ending her presidential bid, the congresswoman had said that she would seek another House term no matter how redistricting transformed her seat.[/break1]politico.com/news/stories/0212/73130.html]http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0212/73130.html

Emma

MN-06

Post by Emma » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:15 pm

I received this in an email from Jim Graves' campaign, but can't seem to find the ad he's referring to: I may be new to politics, but this ad is just disgusting.When Michele Bachmann went on a vicious witch-hunt, accusing U.S. officials of being complicit in a scheme by the Muslim Brotherhood to infiltrate the government, I forcefully called her out.I was very clear: we will not stand for McCarthy-style tactics that use fear and hate to accomplish craven political goals.Because of that, a Bachmann-allied Super PAC just unleashed a television ad that accuses me of supporting the Muslim Brotherhood and the horrifying violence breaking out in the Middle East.

borealis

MN-06

Post by borealis » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:59 pm

I received this in an email from Jim Graves' campaign, but can't seem to find the ad he's referring to: I may be new to politics, but this ad is just disgusting.When Michele Bachmann went on a vicious witch-hunt, accusing U.S. officials of being complicit in a scheme by the Muslim Brotherhood to infiltrate the government, I forcefully called her out.I was very clear: we will not stand for McCarthy-style tactics that use fear and hate to accomplish craven political goals.Because of that, a Bachmann-allied Super PAC just unleashed a television ad that accuses me of supporting the Muslim Brotherhood and the horrifying violence breaking out in the Middle East.I hope voters realize they need to vote out that bitch.

mimi

MN-06

Post by mimi » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:38 pm

I received this in an email from Jim Graves' campaign, but can't seem to find the ad he's referring to: I may be new to politics, but this ad is just disgusting.When Michele Bachmann went on a vicious witch-hunt, accusing U.S. officials of being complicit in a scheme by the Muslim Brotherhood to infiltrate the government, I forcefully called her out.I was very clear: we will not stand for McCarthy-style tactics that use fear and hate to accomplish craven political goals.Because of that, a Bachmann-allied Super PAC just unleashed a television ad that accuses me of supporting the Muslim Brotherhood and the horrifying violence breaking out in the Middle East.I believe this is the ad he is referring to.

Piffle

MN-06

Post by Piffle » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:43 pm

Bachmann is one crazy incumbent who should be hoping that Romney doesn't have coat tails because her poll numbers get more anemic each week. The way things are going, she could easily lose.[link]linky,http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/1 ... 71069.html[/link]

Joseph Robidoux III

MN-06

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:29 pm

The following is not something I expected.

Less than a year ago, Rep. Michele Bachmann was traveling the country, making her case to be the Republican Party's presidential nominee. Today, six weeks out from that long-awaited election, she's caught in an unexpectedly tight race to keep her seat in Congress.

He [Democratic challenger Jim Graves] also believes Bachmann's divisive national political figure has complicated her standing in Minnesota's 6th district, which sits on top of the Twin Cities metro region like a crown. A recent poll commissioned by the Democrat shows Bachmann with a two-point lead (48-46 percent), within the margin of error.

In 2010, during the Tea Party surge, she won by nearly 13 points.

[/break1]go.com/Politics/OTUS/michele-bachmanns-seat-peril-house-race-tightens/story?id=17320034#.UGMBLY1lTco]http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/mic ... GMBLY1lTcoThis is surprising when you recall re-districting changes were earlier believed to be to her benefit.

Emma

MN-06

Post by Emma » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:31 pm

I received this in an email from Jim Graves' campaign, but can't seem to find the ad he's referring to: I may be new to politics, but this ad is just disgusting.When Michele Bachmann went on a vicious witch-hunt, accusing U.S. officials of being complicit in a scheme by the Muslim Brotherhood to infiltrate the government, I forcefully called her out.I was very clear: we will not stand for McCarthy-style tactics that use fear and hate to accomplish craven political goals.Because of that, a Bachmann-allied Super PAC just unleashed a television ad that accuses me of supporting the Muslim Brotherhood and the horrifying violence breaking out in the Middle East.I believe this is the ad he is referring to.WTF :evil:edit: making another donation to his campaign ...

Joseph Robidoux III

MN-06

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:30 am

Information regarding Congresswoman Bachmann's new district being more Republican friendly than her previous:

Redistricting, which takes place every 10 years to accommodate population shifts, had to cut more than 96,000 residents from the growing 6th District. Gone are western Stearns County and a portion of Washington County directly east of St. Paul. Added is a piece of Carver County in the western suburbs.

Politico described the new district as a Republican-friendly area that actually will be slightly safer for Bachman than the 6th District from which the Republican first was elected in 2006.Bachmann is adhering to the Republican playbook about what to accuse your opponent of:

[Democrat Jim] Graves, a DFL-endorsed hotel and restaurant developer from St. Cloud making his first run for public office, told us the district fits his moderate, centrist approach.

But attack ads, including one from Bachmann criticizing Graves for his support of federal bailouts, the stimulus package and the Affordable Care Act -- "aren't playing well," he said. Graves reminds voters he had no influence on the measures.

[/break1]twincities.com/opinion/ci_21751484/6th-contentious-race-stark-contrasts]http://www.twincities.com/opinion/ci_21 ... -contrasts

Joseph Robidoux III

MN-06

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:12 pm

Congresswoman Crazy's new district was expected to be more Republican friendly than her previous one and it appears even a sane opponent will have difficulty defeating her. Unfortunately there are not a lot of polls to compare so you take what you can get.http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n63 ... -10-16.jpg[/break1]realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/house/mn/minnesota_6th_district_bachmann_vs_graves-3402.html]http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls ... -3402.html

Joseph Robidoux III

MN-06

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:08 pm

Some info on the KSTP/Survey USA poll and the MN-06 congressional district:

Independent voters are statistically split between Bachmann and Graves, according to KSTP, but the district has a pronounced Republican lean (it has a Partisan Voter Index rating of R+8 and John McCain won 54.7 percent of the vote in the newly-redrawn 6th in 2008), giving Bachmann her lead.

In the presidential race, Mitt Romney leads President Obama 53 percent to 36 percent in the district.

[/break1]minnpost.com/dc-dispatches/2012/10/bachmann-leads-new-poll]http://www.minnpost.com/dc-dispatches/2 ... s-new-pollSome info on the Congresswoman's fundraising:

Congressional fundraising numbers are in, and the winner of the last three months should come as no surprise: with a $4.5 million haul, Michele Bachmann easily outpaced the rest of the Minnesota congressional delegation and their challengers.

Bachmann is the usual favorite to lead in fundraising, and her seven-figure haul means she’s raised $11.8 million for her House re-election campaign, easily the most in Minnesota (the U.S. Senate race included). Her DFL opponent, Jim Graves, brought in $1 million himself, buoyed by a sizable personal loan to his campaign.

[/break1]minnpost.com/dc-dispatches/2012/10/bachmann-s-golden-touch-and-other-race-race-fundraising-reports]http://www.minnpost.com/dc-dispatches/2 ... ng-reportsWhile it would be extremely pleasant to see Bachmann defeated, there is some satisfaction in knowing a lot of the Minnesota crazies are in the same congressional district. Their ability to screw up multiple legislative districts is significantly reduced.

Joseph Robidoux III

MN-06

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:49 pm

Update:

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n63 ... -10-28.jpg

[/break1]realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/house/mn/minnesota_6th_district_bachmann_vs_graves-3402.html]http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls ... -3402.html

Bachmann, who is waging one of the most expensive House campaigns in the nation against a political newcomer..."Congreswoman Crazy saw her district become more "Republican-friendly", is spending more money than the Minnesota US Senate candidates and still is in a semi-close race with a political newcomer. I suspect a non teabagger sane Minnesota Republican living in her district has also noticed this. We may learn who he/she is in 2 years.

I didn't pay much attention to Bachmann's presidential campaign so this is something I missed.

But her high-profile [presidential] run -- in which the Iowa-born Bachmann regularly identified herself as an Iowan, not a Minnesotan

[/break1]startribune.com/politics/statelocal/175092551.html?refer=y]http://www.startribune.com/politics/sta ... ml?refer=yYou're a member of the Minnesota US House delegation and you identify yourself as an Iowan? That should be grounds enough for some residents to kick your ass out of Congress.

borealis

MN-06

Post by borealis » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:56 am

Her constituency is too busy praying away the gay at Chik-Fil-A .

Return to “U.S. House of Representatives”