US Senate: Indiana

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Who is the Democrat who will run against the Bagger?
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III »

Who is the Democrat who will run against the Bagger?Indiana 2nd District Congressman Joe Donnely.http://www.thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopi ... 29#p364829

esseff44

Post by esseff44 »

I can't help it. Every time I see 'Mourdoch,' it turns into Morlock. :-?

realist

Post by realist »

Wanna know how Lugar feels?

From Politico

[link]Lugar unloads on 'unrelenting' partisanship,http://www.politico.com/blogs/on-congre ... 22891.html[/link]

By MIKE ZAPLER |

5/9/12 7:48 AM EDT

Sen. Richard Lugar, in a remarkable 1,425-word statement after his crushing loss in the Indiana Senate primary Tuesday night, unloaded on what he called "unrelenting" partisanship in Congress and explained how he knew much earlier than the pundits that he was in trouble.

If you had any question about how the six-term senator really feels about the state of politics and governance, you won't after reading this.

[...]

If Mr. Mourdock is elected, I want him to be a good Senator. But that will require him to revise his stated goal of bringing more partisanship to Washington. He and I share many positions, but his embrace of an unrelenting partisan mindset is irreconcilable with my philosophy of governance and my experience of what brings results for Hoosiers in the Senate. In effect, what he has promised in this campaign is reflexive votes for a rejectionist orthodoxy and rigid opposition to the actions and proposals of the other party. His answer to the inevitable roadblocks he will encounter in Congress is merely to campaign for more Republicans who embrace the same partisan outlook. He has pledged his support to groups whose prime mission is to cleanse the Republican party of those who stray from orthodoxy as they see it.

This is not conducive to problem solving and governance. And he will find that unless he modifies his approach, he will achieve little as a legislator. Worse, he will help delay solutions that are totally beyond the capacity of partisan majorities to achieve. The most consequential of these is stabilizing and reversing the Federal debt in an era when millions of baby boomers are retiring. There is little likelihood that either party will be able to impose their favored budget solutions on the other without some degree of compromise.

Unfortunately, we have an increasing number of legislators in both parties who have adopted an unrelenting partisan viewpoint. This shows up in countless vote studies that find diminishing intersections between Democrat and Republican positions. Partisans at both ends of the political spectrum are dominating the political debate in our country. And partisan groups, including outside groups that spent millions against me in this race, are determined to see that this continues. They have worked to make it as difficult as possible for a legislator of either party to hold independent views or engage in constructive compromise. If that attitude prevails in American politics, our government will remain mired in the dysfunction we have witnessed during the last several years. And I believe that if this attitude expands in the Republican Party, we will be relegated to minority status. Parties don't succeed for long if they stop appealing to voters who may disagree with them on some issues.much more at the link

:-bd
ImageX 4 ImageX36

Joseph Robidoux III

The Teabaggers, along with Club For Growth and FreedomWorks, are bound to claim partial responsibility for Richard Mourdock's win (as will Sarah Palin). What you won't hear from them is how Sen Lugar ran a disastrous campaign. Compare how quickly Sen Hatch got his act together after then-Sen Bob Bennett (R-UT) was primaried in 2010 to Lugar. Lugar's long absence from state and local party functions didn't help his cause and Lugar's residency/voting eligibility problems were negative press he didn't need.[/break1]com/politics/roots-of-lugar-s-defeat-began-back-home-20120508]http://nationaljournal.com/politics/roo ... e-20120508The Indianapolis Star offered their 5 reasons why Lugar Lost:1) He lost touch with the Indiana Republican Party2) His voting record. Lugar voted for the Wall Street and auto bailouts3) Money. About $3 million in reportable spending has been spent by outside groups to help Mourdock, and about $1.5 million has been spent to help Lugar.4) There was no cohesive theme. Lugar didn't remind voters until the very end of what he had done for them.5) He's 80.[/break1]indystar.com/article/20120509/NEWS0502/205090339/Sen-Richard-Lugar-Five-reasons-he-lost?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Election]http://www.indystar.com/article/2012050 ... t|Election 2012

verbalobe

Post by verbalobe »

In my email this morning: The NRA takes credit for Mourdock's win.

Joseph Robidoux III

Oops! Forgot about the NRA even though I posted one of their advertisements attacking Sen Lugar.http://www.thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopi ... 40#p365040 :oops:

Joseph Robidoux III

Wanna know how Lugar feels?If Mr. Mourdock is elected, I want him to be a good Senator. But that will require him to revise his stated goal of bringing more partisanship to Washington.And he will find that unless he modifies his approach, he will achieve little as a legislator.If Richard Mourdock is elected to the Senate and performs as he has campaigned, he is destined to provoke Sen McConnell. I'm still convinced Senators Paul and Lee had a meeting with McConnell* (and not by their choice) and the same would occur with Mourdock if he acted similarly. Something overnight changed the behavior of Paul and Lee and I seriously doubt it was because they individually decided to quit being bomb throwers. That crap works in the House (ala Newt), but not in the Senate.What a Sen Mourdock could do would be to blue slip every US District Court Judge, US Attorney and US Marshall nomination for Indiana. He could also blue slip judicial nominations for the 7th Circuit, but since Sen Johnson (R-WI) is already doing that Mourdock's action would be just repetitious.*or someone of his choosing

realist

Post by realist »

Orly's on it....

:evil: [/break1]orlytaitzesq.com/?p=58130]http://www.orlytaitzesq.com/?p=58130 :evil:

Second loss for the old GOP establishment disconnected from the voters. [highlight]I hope I will be the third[/highlight]

Posted on | May 9, 2012 | No Comments

=))

[...]

This year the pillar of the GOP establishment, Orin Hatch of Utah, was forced into the primary after he failed to gain sufficient voters during the UT GOP convention. Yesterday Lugar lost. There is a tough battle in TX, where a grassroots candidate is gaining momentum against the establishment candidate in TX. I hope that my candidacy will be the next win against the establishment machine and the architect Karl Rove. [highlight]Corrupt CA GOP board endorsed one of my opponents on the first day of the campaign[/highlight] in spite of the fact that they had in front of them results of the pols showing me ahead and her dead last with only 2% of the vote and 1% overall vote. They artificially suppressed my candidacy and elevated hers by entering their endorsement. [highlight]Recent Google searches show me with 33,000 Worldwide, Senator Diane Feinstein 27,000 and the official GOP puppet with only 560[/highlight]. Of Course Google searches are not votes., but[highlight]they show interest to the candidacy[/highlight]. #-o When you look at the Google searches, [highlight]half of mine are “Orly Taitz senate”, meaning they are related to the Senate race[/highlight]. In 3 and a half weeks we will see. Please, donate to my campaign at RunOrlyRun.com or OrlyTaitzForUSSenate.com
ImageX 4 ImageX36

verbalobe

Post by verbalobe »

They artificially suppressed my candidacy and elevated hers by entering their endorsement.Who knew issuing candidate endorsements constituted artificial elevation?

Kinda the way 69 million 'endorsements' of Obama 'artificially' made it 'look' like he was the more 'popular' candidate in 2008.

borealis

Post by borealis »

The Teabaggers, along with Club For Growth and FreedomWorks, are bound to claim partial responsibility for Richard Mourdock's win (as will Sarah Palin). What you won't hear from them is how Sen Lugar ran a disastrous campaign. Compare how quickly Sen Hatch got his act together after then-Sen Bob Bennett (R-UT) was primaried in 2010 to Lugar. Lugar's long absence from state and local party functions didn't help his cause and Lugar's residency/voting eligibility problems were negative press he didn't need.[/break1]com/politics/roots-of-lugar-s-defeat-began-back-home-20120508]http://nationaljournal.com/politics/roo ... e-20120508The Indianapolis Star offered their 5 reasons why Lugar Lost:1) He lost touch with the Indiana Republican Party2) His voting record. Lugar voted for the Wall Street and auto bailouts3) Money. About $3 million in reportable spending has been spent by outside groups to help Mourdock, and about $1.5 million has been spent to help Lugar.4) There was no cohesive theme. Lugar didn't remind voters until the very end of what he had done for them.5) He's 80.[/break1]indystar.com/article/20120509/NEWS0502/205090339/Sen-Richard-Lugar-Five-reasons-he-lost?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Election]http://www.indystar.com/article/2012050 ... t|Election 2012Indy Star forgot a very big reason :6) Complete voter apathy. Indiana, like Illinois, had the lowest primary turnout in decades. Most state and local races had unopposed candidates and few referendums attached that would motivate voters. The RWNJs are notoriously consistent voters. They vote come hell or high water. ANd they are organized getting people to the polls. I do hope Mourdock's win will motivate the lazy voters to elect a dem this Nov and hopefully IN will twinkle blue for Obama again.

kate520

Post by kate520 »

Number 5 resonates with me. He's 80. He's had his turn.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

A Legal Lohengrin

Post by A Legal Lohengrin »

Number 5 resonates with me. He's 80. He's had his turn.Somehow, "he's had his turn" doesn't convince me we should install an absolutely crazy lunatic to inflict horrible social policies on the state I live in.

ObjectiveDoubter

Post by ObjectiveDoubter »

Number 5 resonates with me. He's 80. He's had his turn.Somehow, "he's had his turn" doesn't convince me we should install an absolutely crazy lunatic to inflict horrible social policies on the state I live in.I really do believe that the acorn that grew the oak was the residency issue, that he was no longer seen as living in Indiana. That's a little bit more a bit pill to swallow for a voter and is more that to say he lost touch. It comes across as elitist and arrogant. And played right, it's always a powerful tool against an incumbent, but ordinarily takes more than one election to be convincing. In reality, districts have lost meaning, members of congress analyze opportunity and brazenly move, often with no real connection to their new districts. In my congressional race, arguably the most contentious incumbent (D) v. incumbent (D) in the country (Howard Berman v. Brad Sherman), both candidates are so guilty of it over time, they can't use it against each other. The one other entrenched Democrat in the area, Henry Waxman, blames Sherman -- the one he is not endorsing -- with having caused the fight by having failed to choose to run in Ventura County instead. Never mind that he isn't FROM the district, that its demographics and set of interests are so different. Well, in 1996 when he first ran, he carpetbagged into the San Fernando Valley from the beach cities south, and has never established roots in the Valley, renting a tiny apartment on a crowded street in Sherman Oaks so he can say, "Hi, I'm Brad Sherman, from Sherman Oaks." Which he isn't.It's tougher to pull off when you're a Senator and you don't come "home" to a home in the state.

esseff44

Post by esseff44 »

Number 5 resonates with me. He's 80. He's had his turn.Feinstein is only 2 years younger than Lugar. She's been a Senator since 1992. You could just as well say the same thing about her.I would not like to see any of those running against her in the Senate.....no way,no how...I don't care how old she is.There a reason 'senator' comes from a root meaning 'old.' As long as they are not senile. Lugar did not strike me as being senile anymore than Dianne does.

A Legal Lohengrin

Number 5 resonates with me. He's 80. He's had his turn.Somehow, "he's had his turn" doesn't convince me we should install an absolutely crazy lunatic to inflict horrible social policies on the state I live in.I really do believe that the acorn that grew the oak was the residency issue, that he was no longer seen as living in Indiana. That's a little bit more a bit pill to swallow for a voter and is more that to say he lost touch. It comes across as elitist and arrogant. And played right, it's always a powerful tool against an incumbent, but ordinarily takes more than one election to be convincing. In reality, districts have lost meaning, members of congress analyze opportunity and brazenly move, often with no real connection to their new districts.If so, it's a reason not to have any Senators at all serve more than one term, because any Senator from a state not near D.C. is practically committing a fraud by claiming still to live in their home state. Either a Senator is working 70 hour weeks doing their job, and by definition living in D.C., or they are lollygagging around at home hundreds or thousands of miles away from their job.

kate520

Post by kate520 »

I don't mean it in the sense that they are senile. Lugar has been Senator for 36 years. I'm not in favor if term limits oer se, but the citizens of Indiana deserve new ideas. I hope it's the Democrat and not Earl Grey, but I don't have much say in the outcome. :D
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

You know, after the Orly Indiana Smackdown, the Lugar challenge came up right after, and a number of is watched it. The thing is that everyone agreed up front that he had been a great Senator for Indiana, and thereafter there was nothing personal in any of the arguments against his candidacy. And it was a first class discussion with top class speeches and arguments on both sides.I don't really have a bone in the fight but I ave to say not even maintaining a house in the state you are representing would be something that would stick in my craw if I was from Indiana. I don't think it was the issue that brought him down though, its the simple fact that the New Radical Republican party rejected him. And that's probably no real reflection on the man himself.
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo »

I don't mean it in the sense that they are senile. Lugar has been Senator for 36 years. I'm not in favor if term limits oer se, but the citizens of Indiana deserve new ideas. I hope it's the Democrat and not Earl Grey, but I don't have much say in the outcome. :D As I think I've mentioned before, my mom went to high school with "Dickie" Lugar. Mom will be 80 herself in about 6 weeks. But there's different levels of being Old. Lugar and DiFi are still, to all appearances, sharp and on the ball. My mom is not.But then I remember a dear fambly friend, Edith. I was just one of the people who got advice from her, hung out with her, helped her in her yard and took her to fucking Denny's because she LOVED Denny's. That woman was as sharp as a tack until about 6 months before she died...just before her 101st birthday.She was a very wise woman. Me and Edith talked a lot. You knew you were in trouble when she'd say, "Now just a damn minute!" Bummer, caught in sophistry, again. I loved that old bat, and she taught me a lot...not to judge by age amongst the lessons.Which is why I don't have a problem with DIFi or "Dickie" Lugar just because they be old. I think Lugar is ready to retire, though, because his campaign was pretty half-hearted. I am looking forward to the DiFi campaign ads if LenOrly takes second spot in the primary! -xx
Image Image Image Image Image

Joseph Robidoux III

Real Clear Politics still has this race projected as "Likely GOP" even though they have since identified the Senate seat as "Open" where previously Lugar's name was attached to it. The only poll shown is the one I previously posted showing Donnelly and Mourdock tied at 35.
2012-05-15 RCP.JPG
[/break1]realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/senate/2012_elections_senate_map.html]http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls ... e_map.htmlI don't have a friggin' clue why it's not listed as "Toss Up".

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR »

I don't have a friggin' clue why it's not listed as "Toss Up".Because Real Clear Politics is biased towards conservative candidates and conservative causes. It has not changed much since this interview in the John Birch Society's Human Events March 31, 2003 [link]Conservative Spotlight -- Week of March 31,http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=46[/link]. Compliments flow from Fred Barnes, Executive Editor of the Weekly Standard; Tony Blankley, Editorial Page Editor of the Washington Times; and Bruce Bartlett, Senior Fellow at the National Center for Policy Analysis. John McIntyre, co-founder, had this to say:

"We have a frustration that all conservatives have," said McIntyre, "which is the bias in the media against conservatives, religious conservatives, Christian conservatives."I hope that I have never chosen to quote from Real Clear Politics (except in a derogatory way).
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Joseph Robidoux III

Update:

There are no additional polls published but RCP has moved the Indiana Senate race from "Likely GOP" to "Leans GOP". That's not how I would list the state but it's their site not mine.

2012-05-17 RCP.JPG

[/break1]realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/senate/2012_elections_senate_map.html]http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls ... e_map.html

Joseph Robidoux III

Congressman Joe Donnelly's first general election advertisement is airing today.According to a copy of the spot obtained by Roll Call, the 30-second advertisement paints GOP nominee Richard Mourdock as an extremist and highlights Donnelly’s bipartisanship in Congress.“To me, the highlight of politics, frankly, is to inflict my opinion on somebody else,”Mourdock, a state Treasurer, says in the on-camera MSNBC interview that is used in the spot.[/break1]atr.rollcall.com/indiana-democrats-hit-richard-mourdock-with-first-spot/]http://www3.atr.rollcall.com/indiana-de ... irst-spot/Didn't Rush Limbaugh regularly say something similar to this when Republicans were in the majority (and oppose it when they were in the minority)?

A Legal Lohengrin

Didn't Rush Limbaugh regularly say something similar to this when Republicans were in the majority (and oppose it when they were in the minority)?It is a fairly common attitude for RWNJs, and frankly, unprincipled hacks all across the political spectrum.It was one of the low points of RWNJ jurisprudence when Rehnquist, in a dissent in a case I forget, basically said that eventually, we'll be in the majority and will reverse this. This kind of "just you wait, 'enry 'iggins" politics is getting old.Mourdock would be a disaster as a Senator. He is why I crossed the aisle for the first time in my life to vote for Dick Lugar in the primary, because I had to say "fuck you Mourdock" somehow.

borealis

Post by borealis »

So JRIII, any word on whether Lugar might resign and let Daniels appoint Mourdoch to his seat before the general election. Somehow I think Lugar is really pissed and won't rollover for the sake of party.Here's a little gem that needs more promotion IMO:[/break1]com/main.asp?SectionID=10&SubSectionID=25&ArticleID=7666]Koester Mines Folded Under Mourdock's Leadership

Return to “U.S. Senate”