US Senate: Indiana

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III »

Unless Indiana Code § 3-8-1-5.5 has been modified or removed, it appears that Sen Lugar may not pull a Joe Lieberman and run for the US Senate as an Independent candidate in November 2012. Bummer![/break1]lp.findlaw.com/incode/3/8/1/3-8-1-5.5]http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/incode/3/8/1/3-8-1-5.5Loh, if you see this, your comment would be well appreciated."Sore loser" statutes have generally been upheld.If Mourdock wins the primary, however, the Senate seat becomes a probable Democratic win. He's crazy and stupid and repulsive enough to drive people to vote for a Democrat.My question was very poorly asked. I was attempting to ask Loh if this section of Indiana law was still in effect. Loh's response leads me to believe the law still exists without any (or at least any significant) change.

A Legal Lohengrin

Post by A Legal Lohengrin »

My question was very poorly asked. I was attempting to ask Loh if this section of Indiana law was still in effect. Loh's response leads me to believe the law still exists without any (or at least any significant) change.Yes. Indiana, like most other states, has such a statute, and the specific statute you cited (IC 3-8-1-5.5) is still in effect.

borealis

Post by borealis »

Huffpost article [/break1]huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/07/richard-lugar-foreign-policy_n_1496182.html?ref=mostpopular]Lugar's Foreign Policy Legacy trashed by Mourdoch Supporters

borealis

Post by borealis »

A Legal Lohengrin

I am contemplating crossing the aisle and voting in the Republican primary for Lugar tomorrow.

borealis

Post by borealis »

I am contemplating crossing the aisle and voting in the Republican primary for Lugar tomorrow.You leave me speechless my friend. :shock: So your strategy would be to vote for the lesser of the GOP evils who can still lose the November election to a Democrat? But you would rather risk the re-election of a moderate GOPer than have another Mike Pence clone in the Senate? Scary thought isn't it? :o

Joseph Robidoux III

[quote name=A Legal Lohengrin]I am contemplating crossing the aisle and voting in the Republican primary for Lugar tomorrow.WTF?

[quote name=Sterngard Friegen]Go 'baggers!That's the spirit.

[quote name=A Legal Lohengrin]On the other hand, fuck Lugar. He's a dick. I agree with the baggers on that one. And it might just get a Dem elected.Electing Democrats to the US Senate is very important.

[quote name=Joseph Robidoux III]Should Mourdock win the GOP primary, Democrats could flip a Senate seat that 2-3 months ago was solid red.If the Teabaggers want to hand Democrats a Senate seat, we should be polite and say "Thank You". After that, they can be told to go take extreme sexual libeties with themselves.

[quote name=Joseph Robidoux III]90 days ago there wasn't a hope in hell of any Democrat winning this Senate seat in November. The teabaggers may give us an early Christmas present Tuesday. {SMILIES_PATH}/pray.gifThank you baggers. Now go fuck yourselves.

[quote name=A Legal Lohengrin]If Mourdock wins the primary, however, the Senate seat becomes a probable Democratic win. He's crazy and stupid and repulsive enough to drive people to vote for a Democrat.I believe this guy knows what he's talking about.

borealis

Post by borealis »

JRIII, is your post supposed to read from the bottom up?

Joseph Robidoux III

No. I offered a comment after each quote.

borealis

Post by borealis »

No. I offered a comment after each quote.Seems like Loh had a change of heart. I think I know why.

A Legal Lohengrin

I just did the unthinkable and voted for two pugs. Dick Lugar and Larry Bucshon (opponent of bagger favorite Kristi Risk).I will still vote a straight ticket regardless in the general election.

borealis

Post by borealis »

I just did the unthinkable and voted for two pugs. Dick Lugar and Larry Bucshon (opponent of bagger favorite Kristi Risk).I will still vote a straight ticket regardless in the general election.Quick! Go take a long shower! Just remember you'll only feel the shame once. :lol:

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

I just did the unthinkable and voted for two pugs. Dick Lugar and Larry Bucshon (opponent of bagger favorite Kristi Risk).I will still vote a straight ticket regardless in the general election.Quick! Go take a long shower! Just remember you'll only feel the shame once. :lol:Some of us are able take the Republican ballot without flinching, you know. [-(
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

borealis

Post by borealis »

I just did the unthinkable and voted for two pugs. Dick Lugar and Larry Bucshon (opponent of bagger favorite Kristi Risk).

I will still vote a straight ticket regardless in the general election.

Quick! Go take a long shower! Just remember you'll only feel the shame once. :lol:Some of us are able take the Republican ballot without flinching, you know. [-(

I am was a registered...ahem... :sick:

mimi

Post by mimi »

Lugar lost.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

Lugar lost.What did you expect? Loh voted for him.

bob

Post by bob »

Lugar lost.Taitz to take credit in 3... 2...
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

Wow, when are they going to change the name of the Republican party to the "Baggers?
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

esseff44

Post by esseff44 »

One has to wonder if a lot of Dems crossed over to vote for Lugar's opponent so the Dem would have a better shot in the General. :-k

Joseph Robidoux III

Thank you Teabaggers. 90 days ago there wasn't a hope in hell of any Democrat winning the general election in November. This race just became a toss up instead of a safe Republican hold. I anticipate most pollsters will acknowledge this change on their Senate maps tomorrow.

borealis

Post by borealis »

Wonder if Lugar will go rogue and side with the Dems on upcoming votes. It's a thought.

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I would be causing as much collateral damage as I could if I was him. Fuck the teabaggers would be high on my list right now. Lugar was a good Senator, regardless of his party affiliation. Everyone agrees on that I think he will be spilling the beans on the inner workings very soon as he realises he got a spit in the face as the reward for his loyalty.
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.

Joseph Robidoux III

Wonder if Lugar will go rogue and side with the Dems on upcoming votes. It's a thought.I believe Sen Lugar will be under a lot of pressure from Indiana Republican office holders to resign his Senate seat after September 1. That resignation would allow Gov Daniels (R-IN) to appoint Richard Mourdock (or anyone else) Senator for the remainder of the 2nd Session of Congress (and more importantly allow Mourdock to be addressed as Sen Mourdock prior to the November election). Should Mourdock win the general election, such an appointment would also move Mourdock ahead of any other freshman senators in seniority. That will be the attempted selling point made to Lugar.

There appears to be a lot of bad feelings between Lugar and Mourdock. Here's hoping they continue for another 6 months.

Edit: This is a test. How many changes can you find between the above post and quote below?

borealis

Post by borealis »

Wonder if Lugar will go rogue and side with the Dems on upcoming votes. It's a thought.I believe Sen Lugar will be under a lot of pressure form Indiana Republican office holders to resign his Senate seat after September 1. That resignation would allow Gov Daniels to appoint Richard Mourdock (or anyone else) Senator for the remainder of the 2nd Session of Congress (and more importantly allow Mourdock to be addressed as Sen Mourdock prior to the November election). Should Mourdock win the general election, such an appointment would also move Mourdock ahead of any other freshman senators in seniority. That will be the attempted selling point made to Lugar.There appears to be a lot of bad feelings between Lugar and Mourdock. Here's hoping they continue for another 6 months.I forgot the golden backdoor. I certainly hope he holds his ground. However, he's too old guard conservative. He'll probably do the tyrants' bidding and go quietly into that good night. But I certainly hope not.

esseff44

Post by esseff44 »

Lisa Murkowski certainly felt betrayed by the GOP in Alaska and was freer to vote with the Dems on occasion. Some others might see their party moving so far to the right that they might feel the need to do some pulling in the other direction. Lugar was one of the more reasonably sane GOP senators left. Too many are DeMinted.

Return to “U.S. Senate”