US Senate: Indiana

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:03 pm

I haven't paid much attention to this race because until recently I believed there was little doubt Sen Lugar would dispose of his Tea Party challenger then easily win re-election to his 7th term. Real Clear Politics and the Cook Political Report have been calling the race "Likely Republican" for months now.I'm beginning to wonder how safe Lugar really is. After the Utah teabaggers dumped Sen Bob Bennett in 2010, Sen Orrin Hatch started preparing himself to avoid a similar fate. Hatch's massive preparation seems to have paid off according to reports from Utah newspapers. Lugar meanwhile shot himself in the foot. He sold his Indiana home in 1977, then after an elections board this March declared him ineligible to vote, he claimed the family farm as his residence. I'll try to find the article again where I read there are no structures on this farm. Unless Lugar has pitched a tent or parked a Winnebago there, he would be sleeping under the stars.[/break1]washingtontimes.com/news/2012/apr/9/lugar-in-danger-for-first-time-in-years/]http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... -in-years/[/break1]npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/03/15/148696257/sen-lugar-declared-ineligible-to-vote-in-his-home-district]http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/201 ... e-districtDespite the above, Lugar enjoyed a 42-35 lead in a late March poll.
US Senate IN 2012-04-10.JPG
[/break1]realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/senate/indiana_senate_race.html]http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls ... _race.htmlShould Lugar win his primary, the seat easily stays Republican. However, if the teabaggers can somehow prevail, we've got ourselves a race. Joe Donnelly is the Indiana congressman from the 2nd district. Richard Mourdock is the Indiana state treasurer.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:19 pm

Go 'baggers!

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:02 pm

This may impress the hell outta Hoosiers.“He does not have a house in Indiana but that is immaterial to this,” the spokesman said then.According to Willkie, Lugar is “an owner” of the “604-acre family corn, soybean, and tree farm in Marion County, Indiana.” Moreover, Willkie said, the 79-year-old Lugar “actively manages” and pays property taxes on the farm.Willkie also said, however, that Lugar does not stay at the farm when he is in Indiana.“There’s no house at the farm that you would stay in, so far as a physical residence,” Willkie said. “There’s a multitude of places where he stays.”[/break1]com/2012/02/01/lugar-aide-senators-family-owns-a-farm-in-indiana/]http://dailycaller.com/2012/02/01/lugar ... n-indiana/

A Legal Lohengrin

Post by A Legal Lohengrin » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:48 pm

I haven't paid much attention to this race because until recently I believed there was little doubt Sen Lugar would dispose of his Tea Party challenger then easily win re-election to his 7th term. Real Clear Politics and the Cook Political Report have been calling the race "Likely Republican" for months now.I will note that in my part of rural Indiana, there is great and visible hostility to Lugar. If mere vehemence adds up to votes, he'd be gone. The homes that do have anti-Lugar signs generally have lots of them and endorse other Tea Party candidates. I'd agree with the general conclusion that if Lugar wins the primary (as he probably will), he has a comfortable ride to victory, but a bagger victory could put the seat in play.

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:37 am

I seem to remember watching the hearing after the Taitz Screech at the Indiana Election Commission where someone challenged Lugar as to eligibility to be on the ballot since he doesn't live in Indiana, but owns a residence near DC.The board decided that since Lugar got 3 state attorneys general to issue him a letter saying he was good to go, they kept him on the ballot. You are right, there are some folks who are truly pissed at Lugar. How can you represent a state when you don't really live there and haven't for 20 years or so?The Election Commission turned down the challenge. However, it did raise a bunch of eyebrows. He is just so out of touch with the people of his state. :-
“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

A Legal Lohengrin

Post by A Legal Lohengrin » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:01 am

I seem to remember watching the hearing after the Taitz Screech at the Indiana Election Commission where someone challenged Lugar as to eligibility to be on the ballot since he doesn't live in Indiana, but owns a residence near DC.The board decided that since Lugar got 3 state attorneys general to issue him a letter saying he was good to go, they kept him on the ballot. You are right, there are some folks who are truly pissed at Lugar. How can you represent a state when you don't really live there and haven't for 20 years or so?The Election Commission turned down the challenge. However, it did raise a bunch of eyebrows. He is just so out of touch with the people of his state. :-Well, generally, when one takes federal office as a Senator, one moves to D.C. It would be kind of ridiculous to prohibit someone who had served their state for decades as a Senator to take state office upon returning. That was Lugar's successful legal argument.On the other hand, fuck Lugar. He's a dick. I agree with the baggers on that one. And it might just get a Dem elected.

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:08 am

Lugar sold his house in Indiana decades ago but he still used the address for his DL, vehicle reg. and voter reg. That was brought up at the challenge. A large number of Congress critters buy houses in or around DC and some have problems maintaining two households. Apparently that was one of the problems that ex-Senator Santorum had. They bought a house in Virginia and he was seldom back in Pennsylvania and the voters did not like it.Lugar's problem comes right after the SoS of Indiana was indicted for lying about living in the district he represented. I don't know what Indiana law says about have to have your documents accurately represent your current residence.

A Legal Lohengrin

Post by A Legal Lohengrin » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:16 am

Lugar sold his house in Indiana decades ago but he still used the address for his DL, vehicle reg. and voter reg. That was brought up at the challenge.I know. I was there.Those are all issues relating to "domicile," a legal issue separate from "residence." Lugar presented a compelling and successful argument that he always intended to return to Indiana. Whether Lugar was legally successful or not, many Hoosiers have little respect for Lugar or desire that he return to office.

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:23 am

Lugar sold his house in Indiana decades ago but he still used the address for his DL, vehicle reg. and voter reg. That was brought up at the challenge.I know. I was there.Those are all issues relating to "domicile," a legal issue separate from "residence." Lugar presented a compelling and successful argument that he always intended to return to Indiana. Whether Lugar was legally successful or not, many Hoosiers have little respect for Lugar or desire that he return to office.Hmmm....I realize they have to have a place to live for 2 to 6 years, however I really feel that they should maintain some kind of address even if it is a studio apartment in Indy. It at least gives the appearance that he gives a shit. It also will give him a legitimate address for the Driver's License, legal residence and domicile, voter registration etc.Seems like the Dick is so proud of his state that he refuses to actually live there.

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:51 am

This week, the National Rifle Association and the conservative Club for Growth each launched new television ads targeting Lugar’s long tenure in Congress.NRA advertisement:Club For Growth ad:The RCP article linked below also includes a link for a Lugar ad.The latest poll in the state, taken at the end of last month, shows Lugar seven points ahead of his challenger but attracting just 42 percent of the support. Still, he leads among those who identified as independent or as leaning Republican by 26 points, which can be an advantage in an open primary.[/break1]realclearpolitics.com/articles/2012/04/11/lugar-mourdock_indiana_senate_battle_grows_heated_113805.html]http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articl ... 13805.htmlShould Mourdock win the GOP primary, Democrats could flip a Senate seat that 2-3 months ago was solid red.

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:53 pm

Poor Loh, this has got to be getting old by now. The bad news for him, this is just for the primary.Groups supporting Mourdock have spent a total of nearly $1.5 million, while a handful of groups have come to Lugar’s aid, spending nearly $800,000 in response.Lined up behind challenger Mourdock, predictably, are FreedomWorks and the Club for Growth, two Washington-based groups that make a practice of supporting fiscally conservative challengers in Republican primaries. FreedomWorks has spent nearly $300,000, almost all of it on polling, online ads attacking Lugar, paid- organizing staff and signs. The Club for Growth, typically preferring the air wars, has spent more than $850,000 flooding the state with TV ads, direct mail and radio advertising attacking Lugar’s record and promoting Mourdock as the conservative choice.Also backing Mourdock is the National Rifle Association, which gives Lugar an F grade and endorsed his challenger in March. The group has spent over $320,000 on phone-banking, TV, radio, and mail. The group has borne a grudge against Lugar since he voted for the Brady Bill in 1993, as The Atlantic Wire has pointed out. And it’s perhaps not the backing Mourdock wants, but Majority PAC, the Democratic super PAC dedicated to Senate races, reported spending $10,000 on Internet ads attacking Lugar.The American Action Network, founded by former Minnesota Sen. Norm Coleman and all-around GOP activist and fundraiser Fred Malek, sprung to Lugar’s defense, pledging nearly $600,000 worth of ads earlier this month. So far, the group has spent nearly $344,000 of that.[/break1]go.com/blogs/politics/2012/04/interest-groups-face-off-in-indiana-senate-primary/]http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/20 ... e-primary/

borealis

Post by borealis » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:00 am

I haven't paid much attention to this race because until recently I believed there was little doubt Sen Lugar would dispose of his Tea Party challenger then easily win re-election to his 7th term. Real Clear Politics and the Cook Political Report have been calling the race "Likely Republican" for months now.I will note that in my part of rural Indiana, there is great and visible hostility to Lugar. If mere vehemence adds up to votes, he'd be gone. The homes that do have anti-Lugar signs generally have lots of them and endorse other Tea Party candidates. I'd agree with the general conclusion that if Lugar wins the primary (as he probably will), he has a comfortable ride to victory, but a bagger victory could put the seat in play.I grew up in Lee Hamilton's old congressional district where Lugar always won the senate vote. Lugar won election against incumbent Dem Vance Hartke. In 1970, Hartke eked out a 4200 hand count victory over Roudebush, but Lugar won a landslide victory in 1976. Loh, Lugar always had the reputation for being a likable well-educated scholar so what happened? Like Liddy Dole does he not bother to come home anymore?
Off Topic
I remember the 1970 hand count. My dad was an election judge and we didn't see him for two days.

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:50 pm

Uh oh! Mourdock just received bad news today.Former GOP vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin threw her support behind Treasurer Richard Mourdock’s (R) bid to unseat six-term Sen. Dick Lugar (R-Ind.) today.[/break1]atr.rollcall.com/indiana-sarah-palin-backs-richard-mourdock-for-senate/]http://www3.atr.rollcall.com/indiana-sa ... or-senate/Maybe this will be that "blind pig and truffles" that I've read about here before.

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:24 pm

Update from the Indianapolis Star:

Timing is everything, especially in a political campaign. Come out negative too early and you can turn off voters. Wait too long to try to brand your opponent and you might find it hard to get your message across.

That seems to be the case with the campaign of six-term Sen. Richard Lugar, whose efforts to paint tea party-backed state Treasurer Richard Mourdock as untrustworthy last week had all the markings of a desperate attempt to toss anything and everything at Mourdock to see what might stick less than two weeks before the vote that could end Lugar's political career.

The campaign's effort to make a dent in Mourdock this close to the primary begs the question: Has Lugar waited too long to try to brand his opponent?

Meanwhile, 36 years of successful branding has labeled Lugar as a bipartisan operator with deep roots in Washington, a no-no among tea partyers and conservatives.

[/break1]indystar.com/article/20120430/NEWS0502/204300322/Sen-Richard-Lugar-struggles-brand-challenger-Richard-Mourdock-closing-days-GOP-primary-race]http://www.indystar.com/article/2012043 ... imary-raceThe only recent poll I'm aware of for this race was announced by a group aligned with Mourdock.

The survey, taken Tuesday and Wednesday by Wenzel Strategies on behalf of Citizens United, places Mourdock at 44 percent and Lugar at 39 percent. Nearly 17 percent remain undecided with just 12 days to go until the Indiana Senate primary.

Citizens United is backing Mourdock in the May 8 contest.

[/break1]politico.com/news/stories/0412/75645.html]http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0412/75645.html

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Fri May 04, 2012 8:54 pm

Richard Mourdock leads Sen Lugar by 10pts in new poll.The Howey/DePauw Indiana Battleground Poll, conducted by two prominent Republican and Democratic pollsters, shows Mourdock with a 48 percent to 38 percent lead over Lugar.[/break1]indystar.com/article/20120504/NEWS0502/120504015/Lugar-pleads-support-poll-gives-Mourdock-edge?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|IndyStar.com]http://www.indystar.com/article/2012050 ... dyStar.comThe primary election is Tuesday.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sat May 05, 2012 12:31 am

Lugar is history. That's what the Republicans get for playing pattycake with Tea Baggers and neoclowns.

borealis

Post by borealis » Sat May 05, 2012 12:35 am

Lugar is history. That's what the Republicans get for playing pattycake with Tea Baggers and neoclowns.But the teabaggers are taking over the party and could very well win in November. I am concerned if more TPers are elected, Congress will implode and cease to exist. :shock: :shock:

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Sat May 05, 2012 1:00 am

Lugar is history. That's what the Republicans get for playing pattycake with Tea Baggers and neoclowns.If Mourdock wins the primary, expect St Sarah to take the credit.

borealis

Post by borealis » Sat May 05, 2012 2:16 pm

Lugar is history. That's what the Republicans get for playing pattycake with Tea Baggers and neoclowns.If Mourdock wins the primary, expect St Sarah to take the credit. :yankyank: :sick:

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Sat May 05, 2012 9:37 pm

The Indiana Democratic Party Chairman states why he believes this Senate seat is definitely within reach should Richard Mourdock defeat Sen Lugar in the primary.

Democrats, though, said that attitude [not working with the other side] is one reason they think their candidate, U.S. Rep. Joe Donnelly, can win in November if Republicans nominate Mourdock.

Indiana Democratic Party Chairman Dan Parker pointed to the poll's finding that 60 percent of the likely GOP primary voters polled want a senator to focus on trying to solve the nation's problems, "even if that means working with elected officials across the aisle to do it."

Only 30 percent of those polled preferred their senator to focus first on standing up for conservative principles, even if that meant rejecting bipartisanship to solve problems.

That, Parker said, is "the one number in this primary poll that tells me the matchup for Joe Donnelly against Mourdock is going to be a good one."

[/break1]indystar.com/article/20120505/NEWS0502/205050318/Sen-Richard-Lugar-issues-urgent-call-help?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Election]http://www.indystar.com/article/2012050 ... t|Election 2012Mourdock's comment about not working with the other side to pass legislation displays either a lack of knowledge how the US Senate operates, or confirmation he is soliticing votes primarily from folks in the above mentioned 30% group.

90 days ago there wasn't a hope in hell of any Democrat winning this Senate seat in November. The teabaggers may give us an early Christmas present Tuesday. {SMILIES_PATH}/pray.gif

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Sat May 05, 2012 10:09 pm

Another article in the Indy Star reporting what may be helping Richard Mourdock in the primary election may come back to bite him in the general.

Democrats think some of the issues helping Mourdock now -- his backing by tea party activists and his opposition to the auto bailout that helped Indiana-based auto companies and suppliers -- are ripe for [Congressman Joe] Donnelly to use against him in November.Turnout will of course be important. The following caught me by surprise.

Still, voter turnout for either party is not expected to be big. In 2008, 185,692 Hoosiers cast absentee or early ballots in the primary election. As of Thursday, only about 89,000 people had voted early or requested an absentee ballot. Of those, about 55,000 were Republicans and just fewer than 34,000 were Democrats.

[/break1]indystar.com/article/20120504/LOCAL/205040339?odyssey=mod|mostcom]http://www.indystar.com/article/2012050 ... od|mostcom -xx

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Sat May 05, 2012 11:39 pm

Unless Indiana Code § 3-8-1-5.5 has been modified or removed, it appears that Sen Lugar may not pull a Joe Lieberman and run for the US Senate as an Independent candidate in November 2012. Bummer![/break1]lp.findlaw.com/incode/3/8/1/3-8-1-5.5]http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/incode/3/8/1/3-8-1-5.5Loh, if you see this, your comment would be well appreciated.

A Legal Lohengrin

Post by A Legal Lohengrin » Sun May 06, 2012 3:23 am

"Sore loser" statutes have generally been upheld.If Mourdock wins the primary, however, the Senate seat becomes a probable Democratic win. He's crazy and stupid and repulsive enough to drive people to vote for a Democrat.

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Sun May 06, 2012 2:31 pm

"Sore loser" statutes have generally been upheld.If Mourdock wins the primary, however, the Senate seat becomes a probable Democratic win. He's crazy and stupid and repulsive enough to drive people to vote for a Democrat.Go Mourdock, except the unanticipated could happen....

borealis

Post by borealis » Sun May 06, 2012 3:18 pm

"Sore loser" statutes have generally been upheld.If Mourdock wins the primary, however, the Senate seat becomes a probable Democratic win. He's crazy and stupid and repulsive enough to drive people to vote for a Democrat.Go Mourdock, except the unanticipated could happen....Definitely agree. I just shuddered. i certainly hope Indiana isn;t going back to the days of its sundown period, but fear it is happening. Most people tend to visit major urban or university centers which tend to be liberal, but the rural areas are still political wildcards. I think IN may return to the arms of John Birch. This is why you get ignoramuses like Pence in Congress. And Pence was elected from Lee Hamilton's hometown of Columbus? That's a seismic shift.

Return to “U.S. Senate”