US Senate: Maine

Addie

Post by Addie »

[/break1]talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/07/olympia-snowe-primary-challenger-says-obama-not-a-christian.php?ref=fpb]TPM

Olympia Snowe Primary Challenger Says Obama Not A Christian ...

Businessman Scott D'amboise told FrumForum in an interview on Tuesday that he did not believe Obama's professed faith was genuine.

"The President, he says he is Christian but yet he's exercises a lot of Muslim faith too," D'amboise said. "Me personally, I'm a Christian conservative. I don't hold any malice to anybody, whether they are Muslim, or Jewish, or Catholic, or anything else. I just believe that he needs to come forward with his views a little bit clearer."

Asked specifically whether Obama might be a Muslim, a common (and false) belief in some right-wing circles, D'amboise told FrumForum "I don't know if he is or isn't, but I don't believe he's a Christian."

In an interview with TPM, Andrew Ian Dodge, a Tea Party activist who is also running against Snowe as a Republican, condemned D'amboise's comments as a "distraction."

"I think its a way of vilifying him," Dodge said. "Obama is a social democrat, but he is neither a Muslim nor a non-citizen."

He added that comments like D'amboise's help Democrats by portraying the right as "bunch of loons."
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver
Slarti the White

Post by Slarti the White »

[/break1]talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/07/olympia-snowe-primary-challenger-says-obama-not-a-christian.php?ref=fpb]TPM

Olympia Snowe Primary Challenger Says Obama Not A Christian ...

Businessman Scott D'amboise told FrumForum in an interview on Tuesday that he did not believe Obama's professed faith was genuine.

"The President, he says he is Christian but yet he's exercises a lot of Muslim faith too," D'amboise said. "Me personally, I'm a Christian conservative. I don't hold any malice to anybody, whether they are Muslim, or Jewish, or Catholic, or anything else. I just believe that he needs to come forward with his views a little bit clearer."

Asked specifically whether Obama might be a Muslim, a common (and false) belief in some right-wing circles, D'amboise told FrumForum "I don't know if he is or isn't, but I don't believe he's a Christian."

In an interview with TPM, Andrew Ian Dodge, a Tea Party activist who is also running against Snowe as a Republican, condemned D'amboise's comments as a "distraction."

"I think its a way of vilifying him," Dodge said. "Obama is a social democrat, but he is neither a Muslim nor a non-citizen."

He added that comments like D'amboise's help Democrats by portraying the right as "bunch of loons."Does anyone know if this guy or the teabagger is a serious challenger to Senator Snowe? I would be great to get a Democrat in that seat (or get Snowe to switch parties...).
"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)
listeme

Post by listeme »

Does anyone know if this guy or the teabagger is a serious challenger to Senator Snowe? I would be great to get a Democrat in that seat (or get Snowe to switch parties...).I don't know whether anyone is a serious challenger. I do know that Mainers are very independent and that the ones I know like her a LOT, including my progressive friends. Maine is also very unhappy with their teabagging governor. I believe it will be hard to put a teabagger up this time around.Caveat: Politics are unpredictable.
We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.
Slarti the White

Maine is also very unhappy with their teabagging governor.They shall enjoy every day of their unhappiness. Maybe they learn something. Learning by electric shocks is quite powerfull. Ask the dogs.Sadly true (says the man from the realm of King Snyder... um... I mean Michigan. :oops: )
"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
listeme

Post by listeme »

I get a little impatient with your condescension towards my country and countrymen, honestly.For the record, a majority of Mainers did not vote for him. Many of them worked VERY hard to avoid him, specifically him, and a lot of outside money went to him.I despise the "well, they'll know better next time" attitude. Maine is also very unhappy with their teabagging governor.They shall enjoy every day of their unhappiness. Maybe they learn something. Learning by electric shocks is quite powerfull. Ask the dogs.
Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III »

Does anyone know if this guy or the teabagger is a serious challenger to Senator Snowe? I would be great to get a Democrat in that seat (or get Snowe to switch parties...).It appears that D'Amboise and Dodge have some work to do. Snowe has a 25+ point advantage on both according to the only poll listed on Real Clear Politics.[/break1]realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/senate/me/maine_senate_republican_primary-2076.html]http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls ... -2076.html
Slarti the White

I get a little impatient with your condescension towards my country and countrymen, honestly.For the record, a majority of Mainers did not vote for him. Many of them worked VERY hard to avoid him, specifically him, and a lot of outside money went to him.I despise the "well, they'll know better next time" attitude.Respectfully,As someone in roughly the same position (I just signed the petition to recall King Snyder last weekend --> ), I have to say that I want the noses of all of the people in Michigan to be rubbed in the piece of shit they elected as governor - even if my nose is one of them. The lesson that votes have consequences is an important one to learn (and many people clearly don't understand it yet...).
Slarti the White

Maine is also very unhappy with their teabagging governor.They shall enjoy every day of their unhappiness. Maybe they learn something. Learning by electric shocks is quite powerfull. Ask the dogs.Sadly true (says the man from the realm of King Snyder... um... I mean Michigan. :oops: )Only the dumbest of calves (s)elect their own butcher....I say that as a German - 66 years since 1945 and the lesson is still not forgotten.I wanted to help out Virge Benero in the election, but I wasn't in a position (financially or personally) to do so. I talked to one of the volunteers with the recall effort who was very confident that the recall will be successful - I certainly hope so.
listeme

Post by listeme »

When the folks for whom the elections have the worst consequences are those who are already marginalized, disenfranchised, and terribly vulnerable, saying "elections have consequences" can sound an awful lot like blaming the victims, many of whom aren't even old enough to vote.When the RWNJs have to learn this lesson, they learn it bitterly: some poor person got something for nothing, or someone got rights they didn't think they should have. When the corporate puppet masters have to learn this lesson, it's because their belts got tighter.When our side has to "learn this lesson", it's because the most fragile of us is being actively harmed.I don't accept that such a thing should be considered a prod or a stick to a disinterested electorate, even in our rhetoric.
Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

What listeme said.
Piffle

Post by Piffle »

listeme: =D> =D> =D>
A Legal Lohengrin

Post by A Legal Lohengrin »

I don't accept that such a thing should be considered a prod or a stick to a disinterested electorate, even in our rhetoric.Hear, hear! =D> =D> =D>
Estiveo

Post by Estiveo »

listme!!! =D> :-bd
Image Image Image Image Image
Plutodog

Post by Plutodog »

listme!!! =D> :-bdMind if I join this parade? =D> =D> =D> http://www.acmewebpages.com/graphics/ahdm01.jpg
The only good Bundy is an Al Bundy.
Slarti the White

When the folks for whom the elections have the worst consequences are those who are already marginalized, disenfranchised, and terribly vulnerable, saying "elections have consequences" can sound an awful lot like blaming the victims, many of whom aren't even old enough to vote.I certainly didn't mean to blame the victim, only to state the obvious: that as a result of elections in Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Maine, etc., that policies are being enacted that are radically different than those which would have been enacted had different electoral choices been made. The more every man, woman, and child in this country knows about the effects of electoral decisions, the better. When the RWNJs have to learn this lesson, they learn it bitterly: some poor person got something for nothing, or someone got rights they didn't think they should have. The RWNJs will never learn any useful lessons - it's the low information voters (on both sides) who need to see the real impact of elections on them and their neighbors. As long as the Koch-suckers are enacting radical policies which are against the best interests of the vast majority of the electorate, shining a light on what what they are doing is not just good, it's necessary.When the corporate puppet masters have to learn this lesson, it's because their belts got tighter.Never try to teach companies anything - it doesn't work. If they are exhibiting undesirable behavior, tax it until it becomes unprofitable.When our side has to "learn this lesson", it's because the most fragile of us is being actively harmed.Yes, many of the most fragile people in Michigan are being harmed because we elected King Snyder. I want everyone to know that. If the people being harmed know that their suffering has been increased by that choice and that they have a right to make a different choice if they wish (in the next election, if not the recall), how is that blaming the victim? I call that empowering the victim. I don't accept that such a thing should be considered a prod or a stick to a disinterested electorate, even in our rhetoric.We can't prod the electorate by pointing out the victims of policy? Even when those victims are a significant part of that electorate? I'm not blaming the victims - I just think that people (on both sides) need to be educated as to what impact electoral decisions have on their lives and the lives of the other people. Everyone should be made aware of exactly who is being harmed and who is being helped by the policies of all elected officials (if people still want to vote for someone like King Snyder knowing the effects of his actions, that's their right, but I believe that there's a lot of potential buyer's remorse from the 2010 elections out there and that the more people know about what they voted in, the more likely it is that they will make a different choice next time. What's wrong with that?
Slarti the White

Every people and every member of a people - even the babies - is responsible for its rulers. It is even responsible for the non-elected rulers (dictators or kings). If a people elects someone bad as ruler or does not get rid of a bad non-elected ruler it is this peoples fault and no one else is to blame. That the innocent suffer with the culpables (and often more than them) is known since time began.I certainly do not compare LePage to Hitler and I do not compare Maine to Nazi-Germany. But should I as a German complain about the millions of innocent people killed by allied air-raids like the firestorm of Dresden? No, I do not and I can not complain - the coupables and the innocent paid the bill for the fact that Germany in March 1933 made the NSDAP the strongest power in the Reichstag (43.9 % of the popular vote) and afterwards did not get rid of the dictator (and the following murder of Jews, Gipsys, Gays....) Slartibartfast (what a name!, sounds scandinavian) is completely right in not complaining but acting.And - listeme - this has nothing to do with your country or your fellow citizens. Maine is only an example for the consequences of elections. "Hamelin" is a real city in Germany. [/break1]wikipedia.org/wiki/Hameln]http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/HamelnThank you. The name is Magraethean, but Scandinavia is some of my best work - I won an award for Norway (see The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy).listeme,Responsibility and authority (or power) always go hand in hand. No government can survive if it must use force to back every order it gives - consequently, the people, acting together, have the power to overthrow their government (possibly at the cost of much blood and treasure, but we don't prize that which comes too cheaply...) and thus the people, as a group, share responsibility for their government and its actions. I absolutely despise the fact that a bunch of elected asshats have made me into a warmongering, bullying, torturer or that my state elected a dictator-wannabe, but I participated in those elections and I choose not to place my life, my fortune, and my sacred honor on the line to try to stop them - how can I honestly say that I bear no responsibility whatsoever for their actions?
listeme

Post by listeme »

I don't dispute the fact that elections do have consequences, of course. What I protest is "elections have consequences" as a political meme. It's a very bad meme, in my opinion.
Slarti the White

I don't dispute the fact that elections do have consequences, of course. What I protest is "elections have consequences" as a political meme. It's a very bad meme, in my opinion.The context that I see things in is one of feedback (to a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail...). If the people don't make the connection between the person elected and the impact that person's actions have on the country (or state or county or town) then the system is broken. In my mind, repairing and strengthening that link is an imperative part of fixing and maintaining our electoral system (and republic). I don't see the meme as negatively as you seem to (possibly because I'm not looking for deeper meaning) nor do I think that it is a particularly potent meme - especially in the negative context you are concerned about. If the meme is being used to blame the victims as you suggest, I would still say that the best response is to shine a light on what the actual consequences of (particular) elections have been in as objective a way as possible.
ducktape

Post by ducktape »

I don't dispute the fact that elections do have consequences, of course. What I protest is "elections have consequences" as a political meme. It's a very bad meme, in my opinion.Did not everybody here say this to the complaining republicans after the elections of 2008 ?No. You're confusing it with "You lost. Get over it." "Elections have consequences" is an "I told you so" for people who should have voted (or voted differently) and didn't because they were either unmotivated or pissed off over some purity issue.
Slarti the White

I don't dispute the fact that elections do have consequences, of course. What I protest is "elections have consequences" as a political meme. It's a very bad meme, in my opinion.Did not everybody here say this to the complaining republicans after the elections of 2008 ?No. You're confusing it with "You lost. Get over it." "Elections have consequences" is an "I told you so" for people who should have voted (or voted differently) and didn't because they were either unmotivated or pissed off over some purity issue.I recall a group that was urging unemployed people to sit out the 2010 elections in protest that the stimulus wasn't big enough - to me this seems to approach birther levels of stupidity... Anyone who did this should have their nose rubbed in it every day until the next election even if that means that my nose gets rubbed in it as well (and I could have chosen to do more to fight the teabaggers and Koch-suckers, so my hands aren't clean in any case).
A Legal Lohengrin

I think I stole this from somewhere, but people saying they're not interested in politics is like mice saying they're not interested in cats.
Slarti the White

I think I stole this from somewhere, but people saying they're not interested in politics is like mice saying they're not interested in cats.It seems vaguely familiar - Mark Twain, maybe?
Addie

Post by Addie »

[/break1]wcsh6.com/news/article/191104/2/Sen-Olympia-Snowe-ends-run-for-re-election]WCHS6

Sen. Olympia Snowe ends run for re-election

WASHINGTON (NEWS CENTER) -- Senator Olympia Snowe announced Tuesday that she ending her bid to seek re-election.

STATEMENT OF SENATOR OLYMPIA J. SNOWE ON

RE-ELECTION CAMPAIGN FOR UNITED STATES SENATE

WASHINGTON, D.C - Three-term Senator Olympia J. Snowe (R-Maine) issued the following statement today with regard to her re-election campaign:

"After an extraordinary amount of reflection and consideration, I am announcing today that I will not be a candidate for re-election to the United States Senate.

"After 33 years in the Congress this was not an easy decision. My husband and I are in good health. We have laid an exceptionally strong foundation for the campaign, and I have no doubt I would have won re-election. It has been an indescribable honor and immeasurable privilege to serve the people of Maine, first in both houses of Maine's legislature and later in both houses of Congress. To this day, I remain deeply passionate about public service, and I cherish the opportunity I have been given for nearly four decades to help improve the lives of my fellow Mainers.

"As I have long said, what motivates me is producing results for those who have entrusted me to be their voice and their champion, and I am filled with that same sense of responsibility today as I was on my first day in the Maine House of Representatives. I do find it frustrating, however, that an atmosphere of polarization and 'my way or the highway' ideologies has become pervasive in campaigns and in our governing institutions.

"With my Spartan ancestry I am a fighter at heart; and I am well prepared for the electoral battle, so that is not the issue. However, what I have had to consider is how productive an additional term would be. Unfortunately, I do not realistically expect the partisanship of recent years in the Senate to change over the short term. So at this stage of my tenure in public service, I have concluded that I am not prepared to commit myself to an additional six years in the Senate, which is what a fourth term would entail.

"As I enter a new chapter, I see a vital need for the political center in order for our democracy to flourish and to find solutions that unite rather than divide us. It is time for change in the way we govern, and I believe there are unique opportunities to build support for that change from outside the United States Senate. I intend to help give voice to my fellow citizens who believe, as I do, that we must return to an era of civility in government driven by a common purpose to fulfill the promise that is unique to America.

"In the meantime, as I complete my third term, I look forward to continuing to fight for the people of Maine and the future of our nation. And I will be forever and unyieldingly grateful for the trust that the people of Maine have placed in me, and for the phenomenal friendship and assistance I have received over the years from my colleagues, my supporters, and my staff, both in Maine and in Washington." Senator Snowe will be scheduling a news conference in Portland, Maine, in order to further discuss her decision when she returns to her home state on Friday.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver
Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford »

[/break1]wcsh6.com/news/article/191104/2/Sen-Olympia-Snowe-ends-run-for-re-election]WCHS6

Sen. Olympia Snowe ends run for re-election :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

That's a bit of a game changer.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.
A Legal Lohengrin

Sen. Olympia Snowe ends run for re-election :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

That's a bit of a game changer.Snowe is one of the few remaining Republicans who I'll miss. The rest, almost without exception, are scum.

Return to “U.S. Senate”