US Senate: Maryland

Addie

Post by Addie »

[/break1]com/whitehouse/former-obama-secret-service-agent-running-for-senate-in-maryland-20110531]National Journal

Former Obama Secret Service Agent Running for Senate in Maryland

Daniel Bongino, a former U.S. Secret Service agent whose recent assignments included a posting to President Obama’s protective detail, has decided to run for the U.S. Senate in Maryland as a Republican.

At an agency that stresses the silence and political neutrality of its agents, Bongino’s announcement is raising eyebrows. It’s not unusual for federal law-enforcement agents to run for office after they retire, but the Secret Service frowns upon former agents who make sudden turns to politics. The agency has fought to give presidential protective division agents legal standing to keep them from testifying about high-level conversations they overhear, lest they lose the trust of the commander in chief.

Bongino is seeking the Republican nomination to take on freshman Sen. Ben Cardin, D-Md. Bongino's Twitter account calls him a “Conservative Republican Candidate for the U.S. Senate” and directs visitors to a campaign website that is offline. ...

His campaign chair will be Brian Murphy, who unsuccessfully sought Maryland's Republican gubernatorial nomination in 2010 and was endorsed by the tea party and Sarah Palin. On Murphy’s Facebook page, he writes that Bongino “saw firsthand the impact of well intentioned but fatally flawed government programs” as a “child in New York City."

Bongino has spent most of his career in government. He was a New York City police officer for four years before joining the Secret Service. He spent 12 years protecting presidents, candidates, and world leaders, advancing overseas trips, standing post, and investigating financial fraud. He transferred off Obama’s detail six months ago and spent the past five months working out of the agency’s Baltimore field office. He resigned earlier this month and started his own security consulting company. While an agent, he cofounded a mixed martial arts accessory company called Friction MMA.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver
Princess foofypants

Post by Princess foofypants »

Yeah, good luck with that. Maryland is one of the most liberal states in the nation, a state where Barbara Mikulski runs virtually unopposed and where during the last Presidential campaign McCain barely even bothered to come campaign. The current Senator Ben Cardin is a rookie, but I think he has been fairly popular.
Highlands

Post by Highlands »

Yeah, good luck with that. Maryland is one of the most liberal states in the nation, a state where Barbara Mikulski runs virtually unopposed and where during the last Presidential campaign McCain barely even bothered to come campaign. The current Senator Ben Cardin is a rookie, but I think he has been fairly popular.Careful Maru. I got a big ?( laughing at Scott Brown and look where that got me.
If you took out all of the blood vessels in your body and lined them up, you would be dead. #science
Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III »

I agree with Maru. This race is a snoozer.http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n63 ... -10-02.jpg[/break1]realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/senate/md/maryland_senate_bongino_vs_cardin-3236.html]http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls ... -3236.html
Joseph Robidoux III

It's not that difficult to determine why few want to pay a polling firm for info on this race. http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n63 ... -10-26.jpg[/break1]realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/senate/md/maryland_senate_bongino_vs_cardin-3236.html]http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls ... -3236.htmlSen Ben Cardin's 28pt lead increased since the last poll. I think it's fair to label this race "Safe Democratic".
Joseph Robidoux III

CNN calls Ben Cardin the winner.

Return to “U.S. Senate”