US Senate: Missouri

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III »

The Kansas City Star is predicting that Congressman Todd Akin (R-MO) will announce shortly that he will be in the race for the US Senate seat presently held by Claire McCaskill. A former GOP chairwoman has formed an exploratory committee for a Congressional run in the St Louis area.

[/break1]org/blogs/entries/wagner-bails-senate-forms-committee-congress-does-mean-todd-akin-running-us-senate/]http://midwestdemocracyproject.org/blog ... us-senate/

The MO legislature is presently engaged in redistricting (aka gerrymandering), but both the state House and Senate maps have the St Louis area losing one of its three congressional districts (held by Clay, Carnahan and Akin). Missouri will lose one of its present nine congressional districts.

[/break1]kansascity.com/2011/04/18/2809616/missouri-redistricting-debate.html]http://www.kansascity.com/2011/04/18/28 ... ebate.html

From the above linked article:

Kansas City has about 550 stoplights. Lafayette County has five. Such a discrepancy is indicative of a vast cultural divide between areas that may soon be represented by the same congressman.
mimi

Post by mimi »

I think McCaskill is nervous. At least that's the impression i get.
Joseph Robidoux III

Missouri is a very purple state. The following have won state-wide elections.Republicans: Roy Blunt, Matt Blunt, Kit Bond, Jim Talent, John AshcroftDemocrats: Jay Nixon, Claire McCaskill, Mel CarnhananEvery candidate for state-wide office here has reason to be nervous about his/her election or re-election.
Joseph Robidoux III

It's official, Congressman Todd Akin announced today he is a candidate for the Senate seat presently held by Claire McCaskill.[/break1]politico.com/blogs/davidcatanese/0511/Akins_in_but_MOGOP_still_without_a_frontrunner.html]http://www.politico.com/blogs/davidcata ... unner.html
Joseph Robidoux III

Congressman Todd Akin has added Chris LaCivita to his campaign staff.

Emphasis mine:

LaCivita is best known for his role engineering the "Swift Boat Veterans for Truth" effort, which attacked John Kerry's military record in the 2004 presidential campaign.

>

In an interview last month with the Richmond Times-Dispatch, LaCivita remarked that, "Sleazy is in the eyes of the beholder."[/break1]stltoday.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/political-fix/article_7a41272a-a976-11e0-aca6-001a4bcf6878.html#ixzz1RX8BGgFv]http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/govt ... z1RX8BGgFv

Akin has at present only one challenger for the Republican nomination, former state treasurer Sarah Steelman. Should Akin win the primary, some of his campaign ads may make the news where you live.

Edit: I'll be damned. Guess who shows up in St Joseph today for a campaign visit.

Sarah Steelman greets supporters at a meeting of St. Joseph Republicans.[/break1]com/fulltext-news/?nxd_id=211087]http://stjoechannel.com/fulltext-news/?nxd_id=211087
Joseph Robidoux III

St Louis businessman John Brunner joins Congressman Todd Akin and former state treasurer Sarah Steelman in the Republican race to challenge Sen Claire McCaskill. Akin is also from St Louis and should these two split the eastern Missouri vote, it would be to Steelman's benefit.[/break1]stltoday.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/article_506f9434-19a7-5f79-833c-102ef83d124f.html]http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/govt ... d124f.html
Joseph Robidoux III

Campaign fundraising for 3rd quarter announced.$1.2m Sen Claire McCaskill$285k Congressman Todd Akin$96k Sarah Steelman (not including $400k she loaned to herself)Since businessman John Brunner entered the race this month, his campaign finances will not be public until after the 4th quarter.[/break1]stltoday.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/political-fix/article_a02f7f50-f6aa-11e0-9ea7-001a4bcf6878.html]http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/govt ... f6878.html
Joseph Robidoux III

U.S. Claire McCaskill, D-Mo., spent her summer focused on two key objectives: losing weight and raising money.McCaskill (pictured here in late August) has been upfront about her pleasure over losing close to 50 pounds in about five months, which she has attributed to a strict diet and lots of exercise -- taking note on Twitter of her treadmill treks.>Here's the latest fiscal rundown for McCaskill, Akin and Steelman:McCaskillRaised: $5.588 million overall ($1.22 million latest quarter)Spent: $1.87 million overall ($339,563 latest quarter)On hand: $3.72 millionSteelmanRaised: $1.066 million overall ($495,162.73 latest quarter, including $400,000 loan)Spent: $378,191.15 overall ($115,305.10 during the last quarter)On hand: $561,949.59AkinRaised: $1.27 million overall ($285,002.48 since July 1)Spent: $644,000.66 overall ($221,332 since July 1)On hand: $1.247 million[/break1]stlbeacon.org/voices/blogs/political-blogs/beacon-backroom/113656-mccaskills-report-confirms-37-million-in-bank-well-ahead-of-rivals]http://www.stlbeacon.org/voices/blogs/p ... -of-rivalsSen McCaskill has been targeted by Republican PACs. She will need the money in this purple state. That little piece of blue in the upper left is where I call home. Obama won it in a landslide by 54 votes in 2008.[/break1]usatoday.com/news/politics/election2008/mo.htm]http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/e ... 008/mo.htm
Joseph Robidoux III

When St Louis businessman John Brunner entered the Republican race to challenge Sen Claire McCaskill, he did so at his company's distribution center and touted his business experience.The Frontenac Republican, chairman of the St. Louis company that produces the ubiquitous Germ-X hand sanitizer,...>On Monday, standing among stacks of shipping pallets and in front of two American flags hoisted by forklifts at his company's distribution center in St. Charles, Brunner formally launched his bid for Senate in 2012, his first campaign for elected office.>In his debut on the stump, Brunner opened with a speech that sought to place the need for business-minded leadership in Washington over partisanship.[/break1]stltoday.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/article_506f9434-19a7-5f79-833c-102ef83d124f.html]http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/govt ... d124f.htmlFor some reason the media wasn't invited back today.A St. Louis area business formerly run by Republican U.S. Senate candidate John Brunner is laying off some of its employees.The human resources director for Vi-Jon Inc. confirmed Thursday to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch ([/break1]ly/uxlJoM]http://bit.ly/uxlJoM) that the company is laying off employees but declined to say how many. Vi-Jon makes the hand sanitizer Germ-X, as well as numerous private label personal health care products.[/break1]newstribune.com/news/2011/oct/28/business-mo-senate-candidate-confirms-layoffs/]http://www.newstribune.com/news/2011/oc ... s-layoffs/Nothing like bragging about your job creating ability on Oct 4 then announcing before the end of the same month that you are laying off some of your employees. I believe I'll pass on your business experience and judgment.
Joseph Robidoux III

It appears that Republicans are going to put a halt to the attacks on Sen McCaskill regarding airplanes and unpaid taxes for some reason. Can't imagine what would make them do such a thing.[/break1]stltoday.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/political-fix/report-prominent-mo-goper-had-plane-problem-too/article_2543600e-0645-11e1-b23a-0019bb30f31a.html]http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/govt ... 0f31a.html
Joseph Robidoux III

There has been little news in the local media about the Missouri's US Senate race. This is the first article I've seen in a while.Congressman Todd Akin and former MO State Treasurer Sarah Steelman had a debate Monday evening. John Brunner again skipped an opportunity to be present with the other two. It appears each attempted to claim (s)he is more Ronnie Raygun than the other.[/break1]newspressnow.com/localnews/30336606/detail.html]http://www.newspressnow.com/localnews/3 ... etail.html
Joseph Robidoux III

An interesting development is taking place with Missouri Republicans, one that Missouri Democrats are probably very happy with.Republican efforts to recruit a fourth candidate to take on Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.) are drawing attention to the weak GOP field, and could help McCaskill in the fall.Prominent members of the party are asking state auditor Tom Schweich (R) to run, according to a source close to him, and he has filed the paperwork indicating an interest. Eighteen top Missouri Republicans penned a letter to him Thursday urging him to formally enter the race.[/break1]com/blogs/ballot-box/senate-races/215111-gop-primary-fight-could-boost-mccaskills-chances]http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/sen ... ls-chancesThis would be a slap in the face to the three present candidates, 6 term Congressman Todd Akin, former state treasurer Sarah Steelman and businessman John Brunner. The article stated that previously Missouri Republicans also courted Congressman Blaine Luetkemeyer.It's going to be a tough race for McCaskill and Democrats probably would say thank you for any Republican gift given to them.Note: Missouri's auditor is elected in the off year elections, while all other state wide non federal office holders are elected in presidential election years.
Joseph Robidoux III

A Rasmussen poll taken this month shows former state treasurer Sarah Steelman with a 51-41 lead over Sen Claire McCaskill. This is the first poll I've seen in a while for this race. The poll makes the Missouri Republican Party's recent attempt to encourage state auditor Tom Schweich to enter the Senate campaign quite interesting.[/break1]realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/senate/mo/missouri_senate_steelman_vs_mccaskill-1789.html#polls]http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls ... html#pollsI have my suspicions about the Rasmussen poll results. This race has been a virtual tie between McCaskill, Akin and Steelman for some time. I haven't seen any ads for anyone and none of the three plus John Brunner have done anything to bring a great deal of attention to themselves. Even the news about Brunner's company laying people off after Brunner claimed to know how to get America working again didn't make big news here.
Joseph Robidoux III

Missouri State Auditor Tom Schweich declines the request of major Missouri Republican moneybags to enter the US Senate race.Some of Missouri's leading Republicans, among them former Sen. John Danforth, had appealed to him this month apparently out of concern about potential weakness of Republicans vying to challenge McCaskill, a first-term Democrat who surveys show could be vulnerable in November.An open letter to Schweich on March 7 signed by some of the state's top GOP fundraisers asserted that there was "no doubt that you are candidate best qualified to represent Missouri in the U.S. Senate."A Schweich candidacy would have substantially altered the dynamic of the GOP contest, potentially benefiting Steelman, an out-state Missouri woman up against three St. Louis-area men.[/break1]stltoday.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/political-fix/auditor-tom-schweich-to-forgo-senate-bid/article_8a83de96-72ae-11e1-85c3-0019bb30f31a.html]http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/govt ... 0f31a.htmlSarah Steelman appears to be the biggest loser in this announcement. Having an address that isn't St Louis is a plus for many voters outside of the St Louis metro area.
Joseph Robidoux III

Uh oh! Bad news for Missouri Republicans.The latest Rasmussen [/break1]realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/senate/mo/missouri_senate_akin_vs_mccaskill-2079.html]poll results show Sen McCaskill leading Congressman Akin 49-43. Akin being behind by 6 points in anybody's poll is discouraging for Republicans less than 60 days prior to election day. Being behind by 6 points in a Rasmussen poll is exceptionally bad news for them.
mimi

Post by mimi »

put it here or in the stupid things thread. here.''He's just apologizing cuz he doesn't like America.''
Joseph Robidoux III

Sen McCaskill's responds to Congressman Akin's accusation that she isn't being "ladylike" as she was in her 2006 race against then-US Senator Jim Talent.

McCaskill has been going after Akin aggressively for his opposition to student loans and health care reform, his past support of earmark spending, and, most recently, his `legitimate rape' comment. The two debated for the first time on Sept. 21.

"I really, really don't want my state represented by folks that are so far away from the values I think are important," McCaskill said in an interview with the Post-Dispatch editorial board today. ". . . I am using every weapon I have in my arsenal to try to win this race. . . . I have no apologies for anything we've done."

[/break1]stltoday.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/kevin-mcdermott/akin-mccaskill-isn-t-being-ladylike/article_2da08364-08db-11e2-a5cb-001a4bcf6878.html]http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/govt ... f6878.htmlAkin wants to run against Pres Obama here in [/break1]realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/mo/missouri_romney_vs_obama-1800.html]Missouri. McCaskill's ads make it clear who the two major candidates for the US Senate race are and that changes the spotlight from what Akin prefers.
Emma

Post by Emma »

I'm glad Akin called her an unladylike wild animal. All voters have to do is watch the [/break1]c-span.org/Events/Missouri-Senate-Candidates-Debate/10737434310-1/]video of the debate to see that Akin is a damned liar. :-bd
No Pilikia

Post by No Pilikia »

Curses! Caught a cold days before I fly off on a vacation, so am up in the middle of the night watching Morning Joe. At least I got treated to a great line from McCaskill: "Todd Akin makes Michelle Bachman look like a hippie." =)) That woman is a hoot!
"The opportunity that Hawaii offered -- to experience a variety of cultures in a climate of mutual respect -- became an integral part of my world view and a basis for the values I hold most dear." Barack Obama, 1999
Joseph Robidoux III

Not long ago every former Missouri Republican US Senator (John Danforth, John Ashcroft, Kit Bond and Jim Talent), in addition to current Sen Roy Blunt, called for Congressman Todd Akin to drop out of the race.

It's worth noting that in August, Bond told Post-Dispatch Washington Bureau Chief Bill Lambrecht that Akin's actions would damage the entire ticket.

"He is going to take down not only Republicans but also anybody who supports right-to-life," Bond told Lambrecht in late August.

[/break1]stltoday.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/political-fix/bond-reverses-course-endorses-akin-for-senate/article_644e046c-0990-11e2-8f04-001a4bcf6878.html]http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/govt ... f6878.htmlBut now that the deadline for removing Akin's name has passed:

The Associated Press is reporting that former U.S. Sen. Christopher "Kit" Bond has changed his mind and is endorsing Todd Akin over Democratic incumbent Claire McCaskill for the Senate. David Lieb's story for the AP is below.Surprise, surprise, surprise.
Emma

Post by Emma »

A consultant for embattled Senate candidate Todd Akin today compared Akin's fortitude to that of deadly cult leader David Koresh, while making a point about how Akin has withstood Republican attempts to get him off the Missouri ballot."I’ve expressed this to Todd as my client for a while now, I’ve expressed it to him directly,” conservative consultant Kellyanne Conway said today on a radio show with Tony Perkins of the Family Research Council. “The first day or two where it was like the Waco with the David Koresh situation where they’re trying to smoke him out with the SWAT teams and the helicopters and the bad Nancy Sinatra records. Then here comes day two and you realize the guy’s not coming out of the bunker. Listen, Todd has shown his principle to the voters."She then tries to backpedal: Conway just called to clarify that she was not comparing Akin to Koresh, but rather was comparing the GOP leaders who were trying to dislodge Akin to the federal agents in the standoff with Koresh. "It was about how overbearing the Republicans had been. It was about the tactics being used to force (Akin) out," Conway said. "I wasn't comparing the (two) men. . . . I don't consider David Koresh a man of fortitude. Todd Akin is a man of fortitude."And his campaign spokesman responds: "It was a stupid comment to make." ?( [/break1]stltoday.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/kevin-mcdermott/akin-consultant-compares-his-fortitude-to-cult-leader-david-koresh/article_42658a4a-0996-11e2-990d-0019bb30f31a.html]http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/govt ... 0f31a.html
Emma

Post by Emma »

McCaskill on Hardball and Morning Joe. [msn]49217926[/msn][msn]49209503[/msn]
Emma

Post by Emma »

Akin, the gift that keeps on giving ...[/break1]org/health/2012/10/03/942451/in-2008-akin-claimed-women-who-are-not-actually-pregnant-get-abortions/]In 2008, Akin Claimed Women ‘Who Are Not Actually Pregnant’ Get AbortionsIn 2008, Rep. Todd Akin (R-MO) claimed that it is “common practice” for women “who are not actually pregnant” to get abortions. "You find that along with the culture of death go all kinds of other lawbreaking. The not following good sanitary procedure, giving abortions to women who are not actually pregnant, cheating on taxes, all these kinds of things. The misuse of anesthetics so that people die or almost die. All of these things are common practice, and all that information is available for America."
Addie

Post by Addie »

:-?
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver
Joseph Robidoux III

More bad news for Congressman Akin. A new Rasmussen poll still has Sen McCaskill at +6 but instead of 49-43 it's now 51-45. 3% were undecided and 1% were for someone else.http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n63 ... 10-03b.jpg[/break1]realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/senate/mo/missouri_senate_akin_vs_mccaskill-2079.html]http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls ... -2079.htmlThe deadline has passed for embattled Congressman Todd Akin to withdraw from Missouri’s U.S. Senate race, and incumbent Democratic Senator Claire McCaskill has now crossed the 50% mark for the first time.[/break1]rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2012/election_2012_senate_elections/missouri/election_2012_missouri_senate]http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_ ... uri_senateThank you congressman for you "legitimate rape" comment. You would have been elected as one of my two Senators easily without it. US Senators Roy Blunt and Todd Akin. #-o

Return to “U.S. Senate”