2012: Virginia

Emma

Post by Emma » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:35 pm

Just tell them you need to be home to make dinner =)) :-bd

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:05 pm

Quite by accident this morning I found what is apparently the cradle of Obama supporters around here, and it is in a VERY exclusive neighborhood! That was a huge surprise to me. Not a sign of Romney support but Obama bumper stickers all over the Mercedes and Lexus in the driveways.

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:57 pm

Man Tied To Va. GOP Arrested In Voter Form Destruction

[/break1]talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/10/colin_small_virginia_gop_voter_registration_fraud.php?ref=fpnewsfeed]http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.c ... fpnewsfeed

A Pennsylvania man employed by a company working for the Republican Party of Virginia was arrested by investigators from the Rockingham County Sheriff’s office on Thursday and charged with destroying voter registration forms.

Colin Small, a 31-year-old resident of Phoenixville, Pa., worked for Pinpoint, a company hired to register voters on behalf of the Republican Party of Virginia. Prosecutors charged him with four counts of destruction of voter registration applications, eight counts of failing to disclose voter registration applications and one count of obstruction of justice.

Rockingham County Sheriff Bryan Hutcheson’s office said there was no indication that the activity was widespread in their jurisdiction and said the conduct “appears to be limited in nature.” His office said there is a possibility that additional charges may be filed.

Hutcheson’s office began investigating after the manager at a Tuesday Morning store in Harrisonburg, Va., allegedly spotted a man on Monday afternoon throwing eight voter registration forms into a dumpster behind the shopping center where he works.Mug shot at the link…

But I thought according to the GOP it was always the liberals doing shit like this!

Birfers are toast

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:42 am

From Raw Story:

[/break1]rawstory.com/rs/2012/10/19/third-instance-of-voter-registration-dumping-found-in-virginia/]http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/10/19/t ... -virginia/

“Third instance of voter registration dumping found in Virginia”

Snip:

A third instance of fraudulent voter registration has been uncovered in the important swing state of Virginia, where a Republican consultant has been arrested and thousands of discarded voter registration forms were recovered from a dumpster earlier this week. According to the Not Larry Sabato blog, a law student at James Madison University registered to vote on campus, but found when she tried to verify the change online, found that her form had never been submitted.Snip

According to the Los Angeles Times, Small, the arrested operative, was “working as a supervisor as part of a registration operation in eight swing states financed by the Republican National Committee,” run by a company called Strategic Allied Consulting. When questions arose about Strategic’s practices, including allegations of “submitting forged forms and of dumping Democratic registrations,” the RNC fired the company, at which point Small and his team were re-hired by the Republican Party of Virginia. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

How fucking stupid can these people be?

Birfers are toast

Emma

Post by Emma » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:39 am

From Raw Story:

[/break1]rawstory.com/rs/2012/10/19/third-instance-of-voter-registration-dumping-found-in-virginia/]http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/10/19/t ... -virginia/

“Third instance of voter registration dumping found in Virginia”

Snip:

A third instance of fraudulent voter registration has been uncovered in the important swing state of Virginia, where a Republican consultant has been arrested and thousands of discarded voter registration forms were recovered from a dumpster earlier this week. According to the Not Larry Sabato blog, a law student at James Madison University registered to vote on campus, but found when she tried to verify the change online, found that her form had never been submitted.Snip

According to the Los Angeles Times, Small, the arrested operative, was “working as a supervisor as part of a registration operation in eight swing states financed by the Republican National Committee,” run by a company called Strategic Allied Consulting. When questions arose about Strategic’s practices, including allegations of “submitting forged forms and of dumping Democratic registrations,” the RNC fired the company, at which point Small and his team were re-hired by the Republican Party of Virginia. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

How fucking stupid can these people be?I had posted about this in voter suppression thread; if SAC was *fired* by the national committee only only to be rehired by state parties, isn't it time to bring in the Feds?

Edit: What were the other instances of voter registration fraud in VA? First, Small was arrested in connection with trashing registrations. Now this woman is third. (JMU is in Harrisonburg, where Small was working, so he's probably involved with this one too). But I've not been able to find the second...

A Legal Lohengrin

Post by A Legal Lohengrin » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:22 am

I had posted about this in voter suppression thread; if SAC was *fired* by the national committee only only to be rehired by state parties, isn't it time to bring in the Feds?Sounds like it to me. They clearly wanted to continue paying criminals to commit crimes. They just wanted some distance.

Emma

Post by Emma » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:34 am

I had posted about this in voter suppression thread; if SAC was *fired* by the national committee only only to be rehired by state parties, isn't it time to bring in the Feds?Sounds like it to me. They clearly wanted to continue paying criminals to commit crimes. They just wanted some distance.Stupid questions ... but you are so good at explainin' stuff :)

I'm a bit confused as to when something like this falls under Federal jurisdiction. Does it have to involve an organization like this one that's operating in several states? With this being a national election, does that give FBI/DOJ the right to investigate, or would they be able to step in regardless? My conversations with the state election board manager and her attorney (posted a few pages back) didn't really help me understand this point; they both indicated that investigating and prosecuting voter/voter registration fraud would be the responsibility of the local Commonwealth's Attorney (since Small was charged under VA statutes, that seems to be the case here), but at the same time they both mentioned notifying the FBI.

A Legal Lohengrin

Post by A Legal Lohengrin » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:49 am

I'm a bit confused as to when something like this falls under Federal jurisdiction. Does it have to involve an organization like this one that's operating in several states? With this being a national election, does that give FBI/DOJ the right to investigate, or would they be able to step in regardless? My conversations with the state election board manager and her attorney (posted a few pages back) didn't really help me understand this point; they both indicated that investigating and prosecuting voter/voter registration fraud would be the responsibility of the local Commonwealth's Attorney (since Small was charged under VA statutes, that seems to be the case here), but at the same time they both mentioned notifying the FBI.Depending on what criteria they used, it might fall under federal conspiracy against rights, under a law passed during Reconstruction against the Ku Klux Klan. That's 18 U.S.C. § 241. It's from the same set of laws that contain 42 U.S.C. § 1983, under which most federal lawsuits against violations of the federal constitution under color of state law are prosecuted.It's possible some other federal statute is a better fit for whatever they were doing, but since I'm not sure of their motivation, it may be the state court is the better place for it. For instance, status as a Democrat or a Republican is not protected, so if they just threw out Democratic registrations, that would still obviously be illegal, but not the same kind of federal violation. My guess is the feds probably have a grab-bag of assorted statutes they could use to exercise jurisdiction, but that the state statutes are a better fit and they'd probably only do it if (and it is entirely possible) Virginia will for political reasons botch the prosecution.

Emma

Post by Emma » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:58 am

[/break1]wric.com/story/19879489/bruce-springsteen-to-appear-in-charlottesville-with-obama-campaign]http://www.wric.com/story/19879489/bruc ... a-campaignBruce Springsteen will make a special appearance at an Obama for America event in Charlottesville on Tuesday afternoon.Springsteen will make a special appearance at the nTelos Wireless Pavilion in Charlottesville on Tuesday, as part of the campaign's effort to turn out voters across the commonwealth.The event will be held at the nTelos Wireless Pavilion located at 700 East Main Street in Charlottesville. Doors open at 2 p.m.

Emma

Post by Emma » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:03 am

Obama lead in Virginia up to 5 pointsA new Public Policy Polling survey in Virginia, conducted on behalf of Health Care for America Now, finds Barack Obama expanding his lead in the aftermath of his debate victory Monday night. He now has 51% to 46% for Mitt Romney, up from a 49/47 advantage last weekend.Key findings from the survey include:-Obama’s seen a 7 point net improvement in his favorability rating among Virginia voters from a -3 spread last week (48/51) to now +4 at 51/47. Romney’s numbers have headed in the other direction. He’s dropped 7 points from a +2 spread on our last poll (49/47) to now -5 at 46/51.-Voters trust Obama more than Romney on several major issues in the election. Those include who voters think will stand up for the middle class (52/44) and who they think will do more to protect Medicare (50/46).-Obama leads 57/41 with women, 88/8 with African Americans, and 53/42 with young voters. Romney has a 50/45 advantage with men, a 57/41 one with whites, and a 57/41 edge with seniors. Obama’s moved from being slightly behind with independents last week at 45/44 to now slightly ahead at 47/45.[/break1]publicpolicypolling.com/main/2012/10/obama-lead-in-virginia-up-to-5-points.html]http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main ... oints.html

realist

Post by realist » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:49 am

Since the wingnuts want to hold Obama responsible for election workers who were convicted/plead guilty re faked/forged signatures, I'm sure they also want to hold Newt responsible for the following. Yes/no?[link]TPM,http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/e ... es-on-newt[/link]Virginia Man Forged Thousands Of Signatures On Newt Gingrich’s 2011 Primary BallotSocial facebook Share this story on FacebookTweet this storySocial email Email this story to a friendCatherine Thompson 6:36 AM EDT, Wednesday June 19, 2013A Basset, Va. man pleaded guilty Tuesday night to charges of voter fraud and forgery of thousands of signatures on Newt Gingrich's campaign ballot, Charlottesville's WVIR reported. Prosecutors said Adam Ward, 28, collected more than 11,000 signatures in December 2011 to get Newt Gingrich's name on the Virginia presidential primary ballot. Investigators were unable to verify 4,000 of those signatures.

ImageX 4 ImageX36

Return to “Presidential Election”