2012: Fundraising

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:03 am

I am sure Citizens United will provide the rescue, but ...

[/break1]politico.com/news/stories/0711/58456.html]Politico

Mitt Romney fundraising sparks Republican fears

The Republican presidential fundraising reports are still coming in, but a clear winner has already emerged: Barack Obama.

Whoever claims the GOP nomination is going to find it close to impossible to keep pace with [/break1]politico.com/news/stories/0611/58178.html]the president’s fundraising juggernaut.

That was the lesson of the first real quarter of the money chase, when it was revealed Wednesday that Republican frontrunner Mitt Romney—the GOP’s pale version of a cash-collecting machine—raised just over $18 million.

Romney’s haul was less than what he took in as a first-time candidate out of the gates four years ago. After the former Massachusetts governor, the numbers tailed off dramatically. Neither Tim Pawlenty nor Jon Huntsman even hit $5 million. Meanwhile, the Republican National Committee is mired in $18.5 million of debt.

As for Obama, his re-election campaign and a joint fund set up with the Democratic National Committee have ostensibly set a $60 million goal for the quarter – a sum Democratic sources [/break1]politico.com/news/stories/0711/58187.html]say they’re sure to exceed when forms are filed with the Federal Election Commission on July 15th.

Obama officials have already disclosed that they had 493,697 individual donors give to the re-elect this quarter. That’s almost twice the number of donors they had accumulated through the first two quarters of 2007, by which point they had raised $55.7 million for their Democratic primary battle. And it’s nearly five times the 105,000 donors Bush-Cheney’s re-election began with in 2003.

¡Sterngard! come home.

No Pilikia

Post by No Pilikia » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:06 pm

And on that note, I think I'll go pour some more coffee into my MADE in the USA Obama birth certificate mug. ;) In fact, maybe I can get my Christmas shopping started early & get some more mugs & t-shirts for my fellow nurse friends from Kapiolani? :-k I still get a smile & a laugh at the Birthers' expense by just looking at the thing.

"The opportunity that Hawaii offered -- to experience a variety of cultures in a climate of mutual respect -- became an integral part of my world view and a basis for the values I hold most dear." Barack Obama, 1999

DaveMuckey

Post by DaveMuckey » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:33 pm

And on that note, I think I'll go pour some more coffee into my MADE in the USA Obama birth certificate mug. ;) In fact, maybe I can get my Christmas shopping started early & get some more mugs & t-shirts for my fellow nurse friends from Kapiolani? :-k I still get a smile & a laugh at the Birthers' expense by just looking at the thing.So true. Where are Romney's cool T-shirts? Those Book of Mormon guys already grabbed the good stuff.

realist

Post by realist » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:15 am

ImageX 4 ImageX36

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:01 am

Oh, realist beat me to it!!! Obama's quarter total = $86 M

Love it love it love it! :hug:

Hay Orly, Obots- $86 MILLION! Repubs - $35 million. Chew on that one for a little while…

Ummmmm … How’s it taste?

And… What was that you were saying about 90% of Americans questioning his legitimacy? I guess you wuz WRONG as usual. =)) =)) =)) =))

Birfers are toast

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:41 am

I really hate this kind of money in politics, but he's gotta do what he's gotta do, no question about that.

So ... :-bd

[/break1]politico.com/news/stories/0711/58861.html#ixzz1Rzon96oq]Politico

Obama 2012 fundraising smashes record with $86 million haul ...

Messina touted the campaign’s commitment to grassroots organizing, and the fact that the average donation was $69 – lower even than the 2008 average contribution. Obama’s campaign organization had come under fire from some on the left who accused them of focusing too heavily on Democratic money players.

The former deputy White House Chief of Staff, who spent much of the spring barnstorming around the country to stoke enthusiasm among big-dollar donors, didn’t immediately provide details on how much cash was raised from contributions above $250. Those will be itemized on the Obama Victory Fund report due to be posted by the Federal Election Commission on Friday.

So far, 552,462 people have contributed to the joint committee, a figure Messina described as “more grassroots support at this point in the process than any campaign in political history.”

Officials with Obama’s Chicago-based campaign have downplayed reports that they plan to raise $1 billion by Nov. 2012, but they have said they hope to match or exceed the approximately $750 million he raised in 2008 – a small-donor fueled, internet-based effort that rewrote the presidential campaign playbook.

Despite the massive haul, Messina still sought to cast the president as a financial underdog, emphasizing Obama’s refusal to take PAC or lobbyist cash – and hitting the GOP on its aggressive third-party fundraising effort in the wake of the Citizens United case.

¡Sterngard! come home.

gentrfam

Post by gentrfam » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:13 pm

Here's some wishful thinking by Republicans: [link]Alternative Headline: Obama fundraising not so great,http://www.nationalreview.com/campaign- ... ent-215502[/link]Is Obama ahead in fundraising? Yes, and probably by quite a bit. But the comparison is not Obama and the DNC’s $86 million against Romney’s $18.3 million. The comparison is Obama and the DNC’s $86 million against Romney [or your preferred candidate] + $12 million for the RNC in April and May + the RNC’s June total....Will Obama still be comfortably ahead? Of course. He probably should be, considering how he’s an incumbent president who has hit party fundraisers at a fast and furious pace in the past three months.But again, to match his $750 million from the 2008 cycle, Obama would need to average $107 million for seven quarters. Obviously, it is possible that Obama can make up ground in the next few quarters. But to hit that hyped $1 billion number, Obama would need to raise a bit more than $142 million per quarter. As impressive as the $86 million figure is, it’s well below those markers.Actually, Obama raised only $33 million in the equivalent quarter in 2008, so he's ahead of his pace then. If he continues to exceed the 2008 numbers by an equivalent margin, he'll easily top a billion dollars raised.

Highlands

Post by Highlands » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:30 pm

Actually, Obama raised only $33 million in the equivalent quarter in 2008, so he's ahead of his pace then. If he continues to exceed the 2008 numbers by an equivalent margin, he'll easily top a billion dollars raised.Math has a well-known liberal bias.

If you took out all of the blood vessels in your body and lined them up, you would be dead. #science

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:39 pm

Wait, didn't the RNC start off the year something like $20 million in the hole? They've not going to reduce their deficit, but just continue to spend, spend, spend? :P

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill! I believe Dr. Ford!

realist

Post by realist » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:22 pm

Politics News Alert: Obama fundraising report signals juggernaut campaignJuly 15, 2011 5:01:59 PM----------------------------------------Nearly 250 bundlers have raised $50,000 or more for President Obama just three months into the 2012 campaign, including more than two dozen who have each raised $500,000 or more, according to the the bundler list and other data released Friday.Obama’s biggest fundraisers include longtime supporters such as Hollywood mogul Jeffrey Katzenberg, former New Jersey governor Jon Corzine and fashion editor Anna Wintour, all of whom have raised more than $500,000 for Obama’s re-election effort, according to the campaign’s bundlers data. But there are new names on the list as well, such as Marc Benioff, a tech CEO who runs salesforce.com. Hollywood super-agent Ari Emanuel, the brother of former White House chief of staff Rahm Emanuel, helped raise between $50,000 and $100,000, the campaign said.[/break1]email.washingtonpost.com/r/2GZNC0/D4QKOB/3ARY6L/TX9FHB/1FTVW/QR/h]http://link.email.washingtonpost.com/r/ ... 1FTVW/QR/hFor more information, visit PostPolitics.com.

ImageX 4 ImageX36

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:50 am

[link]Business Week,http://www.businessweek.com/articles/20 ... on-magnate[/link]

Barack Obama, Fashion Magnate

One of the funnier story lines of the 2012 presidential campaign was Barack Obama’s decision—or rather, campaign manager Jim Messina’s decision—to inaugurate a fashion line that the campaign sold on its website. This included everything from Thakoon Panichgul silk scarves ($95) to Tory Burch handbags ($75) to Monique Pean hemp-and-cotton scarves ($95) to yoga pants. ...

As Messina revealed in my new Bloomberg Businessweek piece on the Obama tech team, it panned out just fine. “That ended up bringing in just north of $40 million,” Messina told me.

Republicans and other folks (cough, cough) got plenty of laughs at the campaign’s expense. And it was a little ridiculous. But clearly the Obama folks and Wintour have had the last laugh: For any campaign, $40 million is serious money. And the successful fashion gambit would seem to open up all kinds of possibilities for future campaigns: Perhaps Chris Christie-branded bibs or fleeces, or maybe a line of signature Hillary Clinton pantsuits by Vera Wang.

In any event, it wound up being one of the shrewder and more creative moves of the cycle. Compared to “experts” like Karl Rove, who wound up losing hugely, Anna Wintour looks like a budding political genius.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Adrianinflorida

Post by Adrianinflorida » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:29 pm

Republicans are still stuck in the days of relying on yard signs, buttons and bumper stickers. The 08 Obama campaign set the standard for political Merchandising.

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:40 pm

Republicans are still stuck in the days of relying on yard signs, buttons and bumper stickers. The 08 Obama campaign set the standard for political Merchandising.And continues to break new ground getting the correct info to the American Public using the New Birth Certificate on the coffee mug trick. =)) =)) =)) =)) =))

“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

Highlands

Post by Highlands » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:52 am

Republicans are still stuck in the days of relying on yard signs, buttons and bumper stickers.Agreed. People at the Obama campaign offices I have volunteered at HATE yard signs like the white hot heat of a thousand burning suns. Yard signs don't make phone calls or knock on doors.

If you took out all of the blood vessels in your body and lined them up, you would be dead. #science

Adrianinflorida

Post by Adrianinflorida » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:35 am

Republicans are still stuck in the days of relying on yard signs, buttons and bumper stickers.Agreed. People at the Obama campaign offices I have volunteered at HATE yard signs like the white hot heat of a thousand burning suns. Yard signs don't make phone calls or knock on doors.But, at $5-10 recomended donation per sign, as was done at the OfA office where I lived in 08, it can be a fundraising goldmine

Adrianinflorida

Post by Adrianinflorida » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:36 am

Republicans are still stuck in the days of relying on yard signs, buttons and bumper stickers. The 08 Obama campaign set the standard for political Merchandising.And continues to break new ground getting the correct info to the American Public using the New Birth Certificate on the coffee mug trick. =)) =)) =)) =)) =))I still cant get my mug to scan properly. It's gotta be a fake!

Return to “Presidential Election”