2012: Florida

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon May 30, 2011 8:42 am

[/break1]politico.com/printstory.cfm?uuid=B4347C92-8ABA-472D-8D48-761E208845E6]Politico

Obama's secret weapon in Florida: Rick Scott

By: Glenn Thrush and Byron Tau

May 30, 2011 04:25 AM EDT

Six months ago, in the wake of the wipe-out midterm elections, moderate Florida Sen. Bill Nelson privately vented that President Barack Obama, weighed down by his health reform effort and muddled messaging, was “toxic” for Democrats back home.

Yet Obama’s approval rating has surged from 42 percent to 51 percent in the last month, and Nelson is now openly embracing the president, pronouncing himself dutifully “fired up” at an Obama-hosted Miami fundraiser this spring.

What’s changed? The killing of Osama bin Laden, slow but demonstrable improvements to the foreclosure-ravaged economy, a cooling of tea party passions and the toxic nature of House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan’s Medicare overhaul in a state with one of the largest populations over the age of 55 in the nation — all are factors in Obama’s turnaround.

But Obama’s biggest asset in a critical swing state he won by a mere 2.8-percentage-point margin in 2008 might be Rick Scott, the wildly unpopular Republican governor Democrats are casting as Lex Luthor to Obama’s Clark Kent.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Mon May 30, 2011 10:12 am

Some of us (including me on RC Radio) said after the mid term Republican wins that Obama might not be as upset over the losses as some think for exactly the scenario we have seen play out. I think he suspected the 'baggers were nuts and would over play their hand once in office.

"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Wed May 09, 2012 3:22 am

Florida has a chance of not being decided until early Wednesday morning, long after everyone already knows who won the presidential race. This state would be a huge win for Pres Obama but it's critical for Rmoney. If you believe Rmoney's strategy is successfully defending every state McCain won then winning enough additional states to reach 270EVs, I don't see him winning without Ohio and Florida (yes it's possible, just not probable IMO).

Florida 2012-05-03.JPG

[/break1]realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/fl/florida_romney_vs_obama-1883.html]http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls ... -1883.html

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Wed May 30, 2012 7:08 pm

I've heard Florida referred to as 1 of the 4 toss up states Rmoney needs to split with Pres Obama if Rmoney is to have a realistic chance of winning the presidency. The other three are Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania. The key word is realistic. Rmoney could lose MI, OH and PA and still reach 270 electoral votes. That would require him to run the table (minus NH or IA or NV) and that is not very probable.The Florida polls indicate a much tighter race still exists there as opposed to MI, OH or PA. It's still a long time to election day but I'd rather my candidate be in Pres Obama's position than Rmoney's.
FloridA 2012-05-30.JPG
[/break1]realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/fl/florida_romney_vs_obama-1883.html]http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls ... -1883.html

BillTheCat

Post by BillTheCat » Wed May 30, 2012 7:21 pm

The DoJ SERIOUSLY needs to step in on the illegal voter purging:The state is in violation of the National Voting Rights Act, which prohibits purging voters from the rolls within 90 days of an election. Florida's primary is on August 14. Under that Act, the Department of Justice has the power to stop it.http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/05/3 ... ter-purge- :x

'But I don't want to go among mad people,' said Alice. 'Oh, you can't help that,' said the cat. 'We're all mad here.'
-Lewis Carroll

realist

Post by realist » Wed May 30, 2012 8:11 pm

From Wonkette...

May 30, 2012

THE DMV IS IN CHARGE WHAT COULD GO WRONG 7:15 pm May 30, 2012

[link]Rick Scott Bravely Purges 91-Year-Old War Hero Criminal From Voting Rolls,http://wonkette.com/473960/rick-scott-b ... ting-rolls[/link]

Oh look, there they go again! By “they” we mean the Democrats, always crying about voter suppression. Look, is it our fault that their supporters are all vicious thugs, pot smokers, illegal immigrants, white slavers, people whose names end in vowels or “z,” vicious illegal immigrant thugs, and liberals? Only Rick Scott is man enough to delegate to various bureaucratic state agencies the important task of removing these scumbags from the voter registration database, leaving Democracy in the hands of the people who invented it (white people, for the most part). And now the liberal media in liberal Miami are pouncing on one of the purge’s greatest successes — the removal of an admitted criminal from the voting rolls — like it’s a bad thing!

Bill Internicola is one of many lucky Floridians who got a polite letter from the state, telling him that, unless he filled out a form to request an administrative hearing to prove that he was eligible to vote within the next 30 days, he’d be removed from the voter rolls. Internicola is Brooklyn-born. World War II vet. Awarded a Bronze Star. [highlight]Name ending in a vowel[/highlight]. Registered to vote in Florida since 1991. Registered to vote … illegally? You bet!

Internicola admitted to one discrepancy in records. He says he was born in 1921, though he said his drivers’ license indicates 1919. The reason: in his youth he wanted to start driving early so “I bent the truth a little bit.”

[...]

The purge also snagged [link]this lady,http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/0 ... tt-purged/[/link] probably because she has a weird little dog. Rick Scott is America’s greatest hero, is what we’re saying.Be sure and check the "this lady" link.

ImageX 4 ImageX36

DaveMuckey

Post by DaveMuckey » Thu May 31, 2012 5:31 pm

Voter registration restrictions in Florida bite the dust.

[link]Florida Voter-Registration Law Partially Blocked By Judge,http://goo.gl/03OBs[/link]

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Thu May 31, 2012 5:40 pm

That's good to hear. Now they need to do something about the voter roll purging that is telling voters they are not citizens and if they want to vote, they have to prove their citizenship in a hearing within 30 days.

BillTheCat

Post by BillTheCat » Thu May 31, 2012 5:40 pm

Voter registration restrictions in Florida bite the dust.

[link]Florida Voter-Registration Law Partially Blocked By Judge,http://goo.gl/03OBs[/link]It's not nearly enough. The DoJ MUST step in to stop the voter purging, or the law regarding it is meaningless.

'But I don't want to go among mad people,' said Alice. 'Oh, you can't help that,' said the cat. 'We're all mad here.'
-Lewis Carroll

DaveMuckey

Post by DaveMuckey » Thu May 31, 2012 5:43 pm

That's good to hear. Now they need to do something about the voter roll purging that is telling voters they are not citizens and if they want to vote, they have to prove their citizenship in a hearing within 30 days.It's a good start, but the purge, I think, is being handled by another group.
Edit: Here's a segment from Rachel last night (5-30). http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908/vp ... 7623592Her site indicates another segment on the topic tonight.

June bug

Post by June bug » Thu May 31, 2012 5:58 pm

I agree, Dave. These are two separate issues. Fl passed the onerous law on voter registration and the LOWV, among others, sued. At least parts of that law are blocked for now.Finding a way to purge the voter rolls of people "ineligible to vote" was begun by the previous FL SoS last year per orders from Rick Scott. That previous SoS resigned this February rather than go through with the purge as he didn't feel the data (which I think involved the DMV somehow) was reliable enough for him to "hang his hat on".From what (little) I've read, it appears that the USDOJ would have to step in to stop this action by the new SoS. While I believe they should, I question whether they will for fear of political backlash accusing them of thuggery or worse.

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Thu May 31, 2012 6:06 pm

June Bug wrote:I question whether they will for fear of political backlash accusing them of thuggery or worse.That's never a good reason not to do the right thing.

BillTheCat

Post by BillTheCat » Thu May 31, 2012 6:55 pm

Well from what I've heard, the law is pretty clear:You may not purge voter rolls 90 days before an election.Period.

-Lewis Carroll

borealis

Post by borealis » Thu May 31, 2012 9:38 pm

[/break1]talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/05/justice_department_demands_florida_stop_purging_voter_rolls.php]http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.c ... _rolls.phpDOJ intervened.

June bug

Post by June bug » Thu May 31, 2012 9:39 pm

Hurray! =D> =D> =D>

BillTheCat

Post by BillTheCat » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:03 am

-Lewis Carroll

realist

Post by realist » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:54 pm

From [link]ThinkProgress,http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/0 ... um=twitter[/link]...

Allen West Responds To Florida Voting Purge By Calling On Eric Holder To Resign | Yesterday, the Justice Department sent a letter demanding that Florida Gov. Rick Scott (R) immediately stop purging his state’s voter rolls. Scott’s purge, which has accused multiple World War II veterans of not being American citizens and thus ineligible to vote, could strip thousands of Florida citizens of their voting rights. Today, Rep. Allen West (R-FL), a veteran himself, weighed in on the issue. Instead of defending WWII veterans being targeted for disenfranchisement by Scott, West called for Attorney General Eric Holder to resign:

Attorney General Eric Holder is not about the blind execution of justice in America, he is nothing more than a partisan political hack that does not understand Federalism nor the Tenth Amendment. This is another example of the desperation emanating from the Obama administration since their economic, energy, and national security policies have failed. It is evident that the Obama administration, and indeed the President, does not believe in integrity in our electoral process.

They do however believe in the interfering into the States’ ability, South Carolina and now Florida, to guarantee fair elections for America, by Americans. Eric Holder is a national embarrassment who should resign, if not, then he is a liability for President Obama, and I for one will ensure the American people recognize that fact.emphasis original

ImageX 4 ImageX36

Highlands

Post by Highlands » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:28 pm

Eric Holder is a national embarrassmentIf this isn't a case of the pot calling the kettle black, I don't know what is. How anyone voted for this douchebag, who had to resign from the military before they kicked his ass out, is beyond me.

If you took out all of the blood vessels in your body and lined them up, you would be dead. #science

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:05 pm

Huffington Post June 2, 2012 [link]"Florida Voter Purge Will Continue, Defying Federal Warning",http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/0 ... 64131.html[/link]Florida will defy a federal warning to stop purging people the state suspects aren't U.S. citizens from voter registration rolls.Despite a Justice Department letter, objections from county elections officials and evidence that a disproportionate number are voters of color, Florida Secretary of State Ken Detzner's office planned to continue scrubbing the election rolls, a spokesman said Friday. Gov. Rick Scott (R) ordered the search for potentially ineligible voters.“We have an obligation to make sure the voter rolls are accurate and we are going to continue forward and do everything that we can legally do to make sure that ineligible voters cannot vote,” said Chris Cate, a spokesman for Detzner. “We are firmly committed to doing the right thing and preventing ineligible voters from being able to cast a ballot. We are not going to give up our efforts to make sure the voter rolls are accurate."Justice Department officials declined to comment on Florida’s plans.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

realist

Post by realist » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:08 am

ImageX 4 ImageX36

realist

Post by realist » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:10 pm

Maddow...

Video at the link

[link]Florida governor Scott encounters local resistance to voter purge,http://video.msnbc.msn.com/the-rachel-m ... 7#47714969[/link]

Ann McFall, supervisor of elections for Volusia County, Florida, talks with Rachel Maddow about why she's resisting Governor Rick Scott's call to purge voters from the voting rolls ahead of the 2012 election.The story on Romney/Vietnam is... priceless.

ImageX 4 ImageX36

BillTheCat

Post by BillTheCat » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:17 pm

OH SNAP!BREAKING: Department Of Justice Sues Florida Over Voter Purgehttp://thinkprogress.org/election/2012/06/11/497934/breaking-department-of-justice-sues-florida-over-voter-purge/This is after earlier today when Rick was on Fox stating that Florida was going to sue the Government over this. Gotta be faster at the draw than that Ricky! -xx

-Lewis Carroll

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:35 pm

[/break1]org/election/2012/06/11/497811/breaking-florida-governor-rick-scott-announces-florida-will-sue-department-of-homeland-security-over-voter-purge/]http://thinkprogress.org/election/2012/ ... ter-purge/He made the announcement moments ago on Fox: “So this afternoon we will file a lawsuit the secretary of State of Florida against the Department of Homeland Security to give us the database. We want to have fair, honest elections in our state and we have been put in a position that we have to sue the federal government to get this information.”Scott is seeking access to a DHS database that he believes will provide more accurate information on the citizenship status of Florida voters. DHS expressed their position in an interview with the Orlando Sentinel last week:On Thursday, a senior DHS official, who would speak only on background, said the agency was waiting for Florida and the U.S. Justice Department to settle their dispute on whether Florida’s purge violates federal voter-protection laws before allowing the state access the SAVE database. Only then would DHS consider access legally authorized, the official said.“Obviously, removing folks from the voter rolls is something we take seriously,” said the official.The DHS representative also cautioned that even if Florida could use SAVE, it would not paint a complete picture of who is a U.S. citizen — as the list deals largely with green-card holders and naturalized citizens, and is not a comprehensive list of all Americans who have the right to vote.Soo they are going to court over the right to kick democrats off the ballot. This can only end well

"The devil...the prowde spirite...cannot endure to be mocked.” - Thomas Moore

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:14 am

Update:

Not enough change in poll results to move the state from Toss Up to Leans anyone. Rmoney however, can't be happy comparing June to May poll results. One month less until election day and what little movement there was wasn't in his favor (see May 30 post above).

Florida 2012-06-30.JPG

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:20 am

That Purple Haze poll looks like an outlier too. If you throw that one out Obama is nearly +4.

"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Return to “Presidential Election”