2014 Governor: Hawaii

mimi

Post by mimi » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:21 pm

Chris Cillizza @TheFixHawaii Gov. Neil Abercrombie is down 10 points in his primary fight. [/break1]civilbeat.com/2014/07/civil-beat-poll-ige-maintains-solid-lead-over-abercrombie/]http://www.civilbeat.com/2014/07/civil- ... ercrombie/

gatsby

Post by gatsby » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:47 am

Abercrombie has been defeated.

Lani

Post by Lani » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:54 am

Hey, NP, I'm older than you, and this old auntie voted to move on with the younger generation after initially supporting Colleen.

Tonight, I was irritated by the Hanabusa announcement about visiting Inouye's grave on election day. I appreciate honoring elders and ancestors, but also see the dangers and disadvantages of following the personal wishes of a dead person. Not the best way to deal with current concerns and a changing environment. (Also brings up memories of mortemain cases in first year law....)

Yeah, the first printout for the Dem governor's nomination was a shocker. I stuck with Neil, but I met Ige a couple of times on my island. The first time I was registering guests at a campaign fundraiser. When he walked up to me, I thought he must be someone important, powerful, and/or famous. He's just a short, bland looking guy, but he has a presence. When he told me his name, I realized he was the guy challenging Neil, and - honest to FSM - my next thought was that he could win. Some people just have an energy, aura, charisma, whatever. So he may be picked by the unions to punish Neil, but the unions picked well.

Back to watching the returns!

Edited for tyops
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Lani

Post by Lani » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:09 am

Election called for David Ige.

No Pilikia

Post by No Pilikia » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:55 am

-xx Yes Auntie Lani, i get what you are saying. That is the great thing about our country. We make our choices & then deal with that afterwards. The Mainland will be influenced by Brian v Colleen. Us local folks will just have to deal with the fall out tomorrow if Neil loses. More later. -xx
"The opportunity that Hawaii offered -- to experience a variety of cultures in a climate of mutual respect -- became an integral part of my world view and a basis for the values I hold most dear." Barack Obama, 1999

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:04 am

Hawaii -- Governor

Democratic Primary 31 of 241 Precincts Reporting

David Ige..............67,647....67%

Neil Abercrombie.....31,884....32%

[/break1]hawaiinewsnow.com/]http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/It appears someone is getting voted off the island. :-

Lani

Post by Lani » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:24 am

Here's my last post on that topic:I'm watching Ige on tv now. He won big on my island. Remembering what I wrote above, I think someone watching him now might think my impression of him in person was nutz. I don't see the same person on tv. But live, he is very present, intense, fully focused.Neil was hit with a gawdawful financial situation when he became governor of Hawaii. I was thrilled when he was elected. He knew Washington, and he brought us a lot of money for projects after the recession hit. He also inherited a budget that was far worse then he or anyone had imagined. I had a clue because I was involved in exposing some shady contracts for outsourcing services by the Lingle administration. He made hard decisions that ultimately brought Hawaii out of the recession faster than most states. For his personal situation, he might have done better for himself by staying in Congress and perhaps running for Senate after the passing of Dan Inouye. He came back, he did a good job for his state. I wish him the best.

No Pilikia

Post by No Pilikia » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:43 am

I am watching the local interview with our new gov,David Ige. Here is a quote..." I will continue to improve my public speaking." WTF were people thinking here? Hawaii will now become even less irrelevant than we were before.
"The opportunity that Hawaii offered -- to experience a variety of cultures in a climate of mutual respect -- became an integral part of my world view and a basis for the values I hold most dear." Barack Obama, 1999

Lani

Post by Lani » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:48 am

Meanwhile, Ige has begun working with a public speaking expert for the upcoming campaign. I know my prior post about him sounds nutz, but his one on one presence is excellent. Now he has to expand his ability to defeat Aiona.

No Pilikia

Post by No Pilikia » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:06 am

I am absolutely ashamed of most of my fellow Hawaii voters. Some of them are lucky to be parts of gov unions with great benefits that those of us in the non-profit, the private sector, don't get & never will. They are great at politics but have shot themselves in the foot. I don't think they realize how they have screwed the rest of the HI citizens here. HI will now have a totally unknown, admittedly inarticulate, governor, David Ige.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:14 am

From what I'm reading, people really didn't like Abercrombie's confrontational style. Too many rough edges, one guy said. Ige has been a state senator for 28 years. I admit a bias in favor of Neil, but Ige may not be horrible.I take it his name is pronounced "Aye-gay," yesno? Not "Ayje". Help me with this one, I like to pronounce people's names correctly.Poor Neil. Maybe his friends' son can find a job for him somewhere in our nation's capital. \ :D /
Every locked door has a key. - Emika Chen

Lani

Post by Lani » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:50 am

I take it his name is pronounced "Aye-gay," yesno? Not "Ayje". Help me with this one, I like to pronounce people's names correctly.Ee-Gay

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:53 am

I take it his name is pronounced "Aye-gay," yesno? Not "Ayje". Help me with this one, I like to pronounce people's names correctly.Ee-GayThanks, Lani!

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:02 am

Holy Ned! :shock:

Ee-gay smushed Abercrombie like a bug. That is a seriously lopsided election result, and a complete, total, and absolute rejection of an incumbent like I haven't seen for a long, long time.

Yowza. :smoking:

Lani

Post by Lani » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:13 am

Yeah, that was pretty stunning. Total rejection.

June bug

Post by June bug » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:02 am

Lani's right. Abercrombie made some very tough decisions in his first two years as governor, trying to deal with a massive deficit not of his own making. Some worked; some didn't, but in the end Hawaii came out of the recession quicker than most states and then Abercrombie pretty quickly set about making Hawaii's all-powerful public unions whole. However, they never forgot and they never forgave. Instead, they took their vengeance in this election.From their point of view though, we may end up with someone less desirable than Ige as governor, NP. If Mufi Hanneman (running as an independent) steals enough votes away from Ige, we may end up with a... :shock: ...Republican.It's a very sad result IMO. During the recession Ige wanted to raise the GET, a consumption tax that has a regressive effect because it applies to virtually all transactions including professional services and food. Had he been successful,it would have been almost impossible to reverse. As Chair of the Ways and Means Committee, he was instrumental in pushing through cuts in programs for people with disabilities during the recession, many of which have never been rescinded.Abercrombie strikes me as a street fighter, with sharp edges and not a little arrogance. However, I also see him as passionate about people's needs. Ige seems more a "dollars and cents" business man, for whom the numbers are the priority.

Lani

Post by Lani » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:18 am

It's a sad night. I don't think Ige is horrible, but Abercrombie was a strong supporter of human rights.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:58 am

Some birthers are freaking out about this, too. I think you can guess what they're saying and not miss the mark by much at all. :roll:They think they've won a great victory, naturally. #-oAlso, that President Obama will soon have Abercrombie die in a plane crash at sea. ?(

mimi

Post by mimi » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:36 am

So you say, Foggy?Miki Booth1 hr ·YAY!!! abercrombie loses dem primary. "Duke" Aiona wins repub primary. Hawai'i finally feeling the pain & waking up to corruption and fed up with oasshat. Something tells me this factors into Arpaio/Zullo investigation. Keep the faith!Aloha, Mikiand Gary Wilmott:[/break1]facebook.com/miki.booth/posts/10202585272058379]https://www.facebook.com/miki.booth/pos ... 5272058379GOVERNOR WHO COULDN'T FIND OBAMA'S BC (NO KIDDING) LOSES DUMOCTRATIC PRIMARY DESPITE OBAMA'S ENDORSEMENT (BACKLASH?)...[/break1]blogspot.com/2014/08/governor-who-couldnt-find-obamas-bc-no.html]http://giveusliberty1776.blogspot.com/2 ... bc-no.html

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:03 am

I'm betting 4 bitcoins and this Doritos sandwich on white bread I made last week that not one single birther worked on Ige's campaign or endorsed him for gubnor.

So naturally, this is a massive victory for birtherism, and Abercrombie would have won if only he had found Obama's birth certificate er, umm ... denied that Obama was born in Hawaii.

This is what a win looks like, in the tiny Republic of Birtherstan. \ :D /

SPen

Post by SPen » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:10 am

I will stick strictly to the electoral aspects of this: this was a great development nationally for Democrats. Abercrombie, through little fault of his own, was chronically unpopular among some Democrats and it put the governorship at serious risk this November due to Mufi's 3rd-party run. I believe with Ige winning the primary (and winning it decisively) there is still plenty of time for the Democrats to unify to a degree where Mufi can't play spoiler and the Dems can retain the governorship.That would be a huge benefit because Hawaii had inexplicably become one of the very few pickup opportunities for the GOP this year alongside Connecticut and Arkansas. If Ige can win this race for us then we have a very strong shot of posting a net gain in the governorships in November with wins in Pennsylvania, Maine, and probably either Michigan, Florida, Wisconsin, or Kansas.

No Pilikia

Post by No Pilikia » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:47 pm

From what I'm reading, people really didn't like Abercrombie's confrontational style. Too many rough edges, one guy said. Ige has been a state senator for 28 years. I admit a bias in favor of Neil, but Ige may not be horrible.I take it his name is pronounced "Aye-gay," yesno? Not "Ayje". Help me with this one, I like to pronounce people's names correctly.Poor Neil. Maybe his friends' son can find a job for him somewhere in our nation's capital. \ :D /Mahalo for your encouragement Foggy.. "Ige may not be horrible." Wow, HI is so lucky that that is our best hope for the future. :shock: His name is said as EEE , gay. I know absolutely nothing about the guy & can only hope that he has the ability to be a governor. Neil will do fine wherever he goes. I will forever thank him for all he his done for our state. It is not about him. It is about my state of Hawaii, my family, my grandkids. I must really say, WTF were my union member friends thinking here!! but I am just so sad to see how someone like Neil, who has done so much for us, lost this race. I am really, really pissed at the folks who get the benefits that come from public service unions, while us schlubs in the private sector have to carry on. IMHO, the defeat of Neil Abercrombie was all about the issue of public unions. It is the 21st century. Things are going to change. Even if David Ige might help to preserve your benefits for a while, our kids & grandkids will ABSOLUTELY not be able to continue to support your life styles as gov retirees. . Tomorrow night I am meeting a friend from AFSME & will share my thoughts. I will just have to hope that David Ige is worthy of this chance to keep Hawaii a great place to live..

No Pilikia

Post by No Pilikia » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:00 am

I will stick strictly to the electoral aspects of this: this was a great development nationally for Democrats. Abercrombie, through little fault of his own, was chronically unpopular among some Democrats and it put the governorship at serious risk this November due to Mufi's 3rd-party run. I believe with Ige winning the primary (and winning it decisively) there is still plenty of time for the Democrats to unify to a degree where Mufi can't play spoiler and the Dems can retain the governorship.That would be a huge benefit because Hawaii had inexplicably become one of the very few pickup opportunities for the GOP this year alongside Connecticut and Arkansas. If Ige can win this race for us then we have a very strong shot of posting a net gain in the governorships in November with wins in Pennsylvania, Maine, and probably either Michigan, Florida, Wisconsin, or Kansas.Mahalo SPen for your broad take on this & for trying to help me to see that this is a great development nationally for the Dems. But I can't tell if it really is. I am so pissed off at my fellow local Dems in HI with those great union bennies, that I am not sure where to go next on local issues. Mufi v Ige... Mufi is far more talented, experienced, than Ige. I was pissed at Mufi in the past, but, hey, his resume vs Ige's ??? I was really pissed at Abercromcie's policies in RE our Medicaid/Quest insurance program that I still had to deal with. But I still voted for the guy. The defeat of Gov Abercrombie is a really, really, bad thing for the state of HI. Gov unions still rule here. I was part of them for 50% of my working life. I am not now, & I feel that they are bad for my kids & my grandkids. Yeah, call me a whiner, but the folks in the private sector just work our asses off, for nothing. We can't get the "High 3". It is a sad day in HI today. I don't think that Gov Ige has even a clue about what he has stepped into.

Plutodog

Post by Plutodog » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:09 am

If the public sector unions rule, how did Gov Abercrombie manage to beat down the union contracts? And if they negotiated benefits in good faith with management, why should they agree to give them up after the fact? I hear the same kind of talk in Oregon where some folks want to find the unions guilty of something, find a way to abrogate their contracts when in fact they have done no wrong and the economic condition of the state is not due to union calumny, bad faith or excessive demands, (IMO). Look, we have a Dem governor (actually the last couple-three -- the first one is back) who have acted in a way that has cost me a good deal of my pension benefits and of other state workers. The union has agreed to some of it in lieu of worse outcomes but the Gov's talk a good game until the political pressure gets put on 'em and then it's "sorry, workers". Thus far, we've reelected the Governor(s) anyway given the alternative but this has not taught Dems anything good about breaking faith/contracts with public workers. And sister, I don't see anybody in the long run benefiting from breaking the contract, breaking faith, breaking trust with any group of workers, public or private sector.
The only good Bundy is an Al Bundy.

magdalen77

Post by magdalen77 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:14 am

If the public sector unions rule, how did Gov Abercrombie manage to beat down the union contracts? And if they negotiated benefits in good faith with management, why should they agree to give them up after the fact? I hear the same kind of talk in Oregon where some folks want to find the unions guilty of something, find a way to abrogate their contracts when in fact they have done no wrong and the economic condition of the state is not due to union calumny, bad faith or excessive demands, (IMO). Look, we have a Dem governor (actually the last couple-three -- the first one is back) who have acted in a way that has cost me a good deal of my pension benefits and of other state workers. The union has agreed to some of it in lieu of worse outcomes but the Gov's talk a good game until the political pressure gets put on 'em and then it's "sorry, workers". Thus far, we've reelected the Governor(s) anyway given the alternative but this has not taught Dems anything good about breaking faith/contracts with public workers. And sister, I don't see anybody in the long run benefiting from breaking the contract, breaking faith, breaking trust with any group of workers, public or private sector.The same thing happens in PA and it doesn't matter if the governor is Democratic or Republican. They love the state workers when they want our votes, but throw us to the wolves at budget time. They keep threatening my pension because the union alllowed the state to not make payments into the plan for 10 years, pretty much all of Ed Rendell's two terms and the first couple years of Core-butt's. So, now the pension plans (ours and the public school employees) are in trouble. And all they can blather about is the lavish pensions we get (they always give examples of the highest paid employees when the average pension paid to a state worker after 35 years is more like 25K than 100K). They also imply that all of our pension is basically a gift from the tax payer. Yeah, I've paid 6.25% of my salary into the pension plan for the past 21 years. The state is the one who broke the faith, first by thinking that the good times would continue to roll and the fund would make money in the stock market forever and then by not starting to pay its share when it became obvious the fund was going to hell. Hopefully, I'll still have a pension in 5 years when I retire.

Return to “Governors & State Elections”