2014: NY Gov

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:11 pm

[link]Political Wire,http://politicalwire.com/archives/2014/ ... cuomo.html[/link]

Majority Would Re-Elect Cuomo

A new [link]Siena poll,http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/21/nyreg ... ds.html?hp[/link] in New York finds Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) remains popular, with two-thirds saying they viewed him favorably and a solid majority -- 57% -- said they were ready to re-elect him.

"Mr. Cuomo also had a much better reputation among voters than two of his possible Republican opponents. The poll found that Rob Astorino, the Westchester County executive, is largely unknown by state voters and would be handily defeated in a head-to-head matchup with Mr. Cuomo. And Donald Trump, the real estate developer and reality television star, is very well known -- but largely disliked; the poll found 57% had an unfavorable impression of him. Mr. Cuomo would best Mr. Trump with 70% of the vote, the poll said."
Democracy is a garden that has to be tended. -Barack Obama

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:51 pm

Republican Westchester County Executive Rob Astorino announced his candidacy for Governor of New York last week.

[Rob] Astorino, the Westchester County executive, harshly criticized Cuomo in an online video announcement, saying the Democrat has been "dividing" New Yorkers. He accused the incumbent of painting a rosy and false picture of the state's economic direction.

"I'm announcing my candidacy for governor of New York State because I'm tired of listening to a fairy tale that everything is just great when it's just the opposite," Astorino said in a six-minute video posted on his website Wednesday. "I'm tired of watching New York's decline."

[/break1]newsday.com/long-island/politics/spin-cycle-1.812042/rob-astorino-announces-run-to-oust-gov-andrew-cuomo-1.7291807]http://www.newsday.com/long-island/poli ... -1.7291807Astorino has at least 2 major problems.

1) The closest Astorino comes to Gov Cuomo in any poll listed by Real Clear Politics is 31pts. Real Clear Politics lists 7 poll results and Astorino is behind by 40 or more points in 4 of them.

[/break1]photobucket.com/user/Joseph_Robidoux_III/media/Politics/2014%20Elections/2014%20Governor/New%20York/2014GovernorNY2014-03-10a_zpsea83ee6a.jpg.html]http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n63 ... 83ee6a.jpg

[/break1]photobucket.com/user/Joseph_Robidoux_III/media/Politics/2014%20Elections/2014%20Governor/New%20York/2014GovernorNY2014-03-10b_zps1ea13db8.jpg.html]http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n63 ... a13db8.jpg

[/break1]realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2014/governor/ny/new_york_governor_astorino_vs_cuomo-4177.html]http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls ... -4177.html

2) Cuomo has $33 million in cash on hand while Astorino has $1 million in the bank.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:40 pm

[link]Political Wire,http://politicalwire.com/archives/2014/ ... _lead.html[/link]

Cuomo Holds Landslide Lead

A new [link]SIena poll,http://siena.edu/uploadedfiles/home/par ... Final1.pdf[/link] in New York finds Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) crushing Rob Astorino (R) in the race for governor, 58% to 28%.

SPen

Post by SPen » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:22 pm

[link]Political Wire,http://politicalwire.com/archives/2014/ ... _lead.html[/link]

Cuomo Holds Landslide Lead

A new [link]SIena poll,http://siena.edu/uploadedfiles/home/par ... Final1.pdf[/link] in New York finds Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) crushing Rob Astorino (R) in the race for governor, 58% to 28%.

This re-election, like Cory Booker's in New Jersey, should be fairly cut-and-dried.Cuomo's reelection isn't in doubt but what is in doubt is how he'll run his campaign. That will determine who controls the State Senate. Cuomo can make a choice between allowing the IDC/turncoat Democrats to continue allowing the GOP to control the State Senate, or he can forcefully campaign and try to run up his margin so high that most of the turncoats lose their seats and the real Democrats retake control.

Norbrook

Post by Norbrook » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:30 am

One of the things that came out in [/break1]washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2014/04/22/andrew-cuomo-has-big-problems-with-liberals/]newer poll is that if you throw a "generic Working Families Party candidate" into the poll, Cuomo's "landslide lead" drops by over 20 points. Where things get interesting is when you toss in a liberal third-party candidate, running under the banner of one of New York's well-established minor parties, the Working Families Party. (The WFP generally backs Democrats but will occasionally oppose Democrats who aren't with it on key issues. It hasn't been happy with Cuomo, particularly for his recent support of charter schools.)When Cuomo and Astorino are in a three-way race with a hypothetical liberal Working Families Party candidate, Cuomo's share of the vote drops off a cliff, to 39 percent, with this hypothetical candidate taking a shocking 24 percent of the vote.While that polling still shows Cuomo as winning, just not a big win, the serious concern I'm hearing in various party circles - as well as my personal one - is that it will depress voter turnout for the down ticket races, particularly the House and state legislature races. That's what happened in 2010, when besides the Tea Party activity, we had "virtually automatic" candidates on the state-wide races, leading a lot of people to decide to sit out. NY had one of the lowest voter turnout rates in the state, and a number of House races swung back to the Republicans. Cuomo's unpopularity with various groups - not just liberals - that might be willing to swing their votes or lean Democratic may cause them to stay home, leading to yet another version of 2010. :((

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:00 am

[link]New York Daily News,http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/dailyp ... z34oGCivKl[/link]

Siena: NY voters ready to re-elect Gov. Cuomo, but happy with NY Senate set-up too

New York voters like Gov. Cuomo and seem more than ready to hand him another four-year term in November -- and many also want him to keep his snoot out of the struggle for control of the state Senate, according to a new poll.

Incumbent Democrat Cuomo tramples Republican challenger Rob Astorino by 36 points -- 57% to 215 [sic tyop] -- in the Siena Research Institute survey released Monday.

The governor's favorability rating came in at 63%, up from 57% in April, and 57% of those polled say they're ready to re-elect him.

Voters are still split on Cuomo's job performance, but he did better (49% - 50%) this time than in April (45% - 54%). ...

Blue as New York may be, 59% of the electorate likes the current GOP/IDC power-sharing setup. Just 22% would like to see the Democrats get the upper hand in the upper chamber, and a mere 16% wish Republicans alone could run the show.

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:47 pm

Real Clear Politics lists 16 polls from 4 different polling organizations (apparently neither Public Policy Polling nor Rasmussen Reports wants to waste resources on this contest). Among those 16 polls, the closest Rob Astorino comes to Gov Cuomo is the July 5-24 CBS News/NYT/YouGov poll.[/break1]photobucket.com/user/Joseph_Robidoux_III/media/Politics/2014%20Elections/2014%20Governor/New%20York/2014GovernorNY2014-08-14_zpsea0ea4c4.jpg.html]http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n63 ... 0ea4c4.jpg[/break1]realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2014/governor/ny/new_york_governor_astorino_vs_cuomo-4177.html]http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls ... -4177.html

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:32 pm

I'll be doing my thing as an election inspector next Tuesday for the primaries here in New York. My district has about 360 registered voters; we usually get about 20 to 50 on primary day. I mailed in my absentee ballot on Monday, as I don't vote at the polling place where I work. Very few Dems in these here hills, so there were only two races on the ballot: Governor and Lt. Governor. I haven't seen any mention in this forum about Cuomo's challenger, the rather amazing Zephyr Teachout. She made a splash in dem circles earlier in the year by almost snatching the endorsement of the Working Families Party from Cuomo (yes, I know, not exactly above the fold news). An up and comer, perhaps, the New York Elizabeth Warren someday. Any port in an apocalypse. I can't stand Cuomo. Huff Po article Why Zephyr Teachout Should TriumphFor the past few months, New Yorkers have had the privilege of watching gubernatorial candidate Zephyr Teachout meet with civic groups around the state, dance in parades, give brilliant interviews, and write insightful op-eds. But the reason that she should triumph in the Democratic primary on September 9 is that she takes up the best democratic traditions in American history.In her new book, Corruption in America, Teachout presents her political vision. The Founders were republicans, that is, they cared about the public good (res publica) that transcended personal interest. The primary threat to republics is corruption, when politicians serve private interests at the public's expense. The Founders designed the Constitution and nourished a political culture to prevent corruption. Supreme Court cases such as Citizens United have weakened the institutional protections, but Americans can still renew the anticorruption principle, demanding that politicians serve the common good rather than their own, or their corporate sponsor's, interests. Daily Kos Breaking: A New Zephyr Teachout/Tim Wu EndorsementZephyr Teachout is running against the Republican style incumbent, Cuomo. Cuomo is a conservative, pro-fracking, thuggish hack and anger at him has fueled support for Ms. Teachout. However, I have met her and she is smart, good, and liberal. She has been endorsed by the Jim Owles Liberal Democratic Club (LGBT), NYS National Organization for Women, The Sierra Club Atlantic Chapter, Progressive Change Campaign Committee, Yonkers Fire Fighters, Buffalo Teachers Federation, and many others. There are also many who have refused to endorse because they do not like Cuomo but are too afraid of him to outright endorse Ms. Teachout. Even the NY Times has ruled out endorsing Cuomo, though they have not yet actually endorsed Zephyr.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:00 pm

It was interesting that the Times endorsed Wu without endorsing either of the Gov candidates. I remember Zephyr Teachout from when she was a Deaniac in '04. Great name.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:16 am

Capital New York The libertarian-streaked primary of Zephyr Teachout Zephyr Teachout has pitched herself as a "traditional" Democrat in her uphill challenge to Governor Andrew Cuomo. Borrowing a line from her old boss Howard Dean, the Fordham Law professor says she represents the "Democratic wing of the Democratic Party," falling squarely in the progressive tradition of Franklin Roosevelt. But in her writings and speeches, Teachout has also described her own political philosophy as a kind of post-crash progressivism that departs from the current Democratic orthodoxy in its distrust of centralized government. Aside from her political exploits—she was a top organizer on the high-profile Howard Dean campaign of 2004—Teachout is best known as a scholar of political corruption, and her academic writing focuses on the politics of power, including the corrupting influence or corporations on democracy. In a recent interview with Capital, she expanded on her legal writing, and how her view of more local government bears on her vision for New York State, talking not just about the way Cuomo has governed, but of the amount of power concentrated in the governor's office itself.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:24 pm

Thanks, Adelante, I missed that one. Zephyr also has nerves of steel. Did you see the video clip with her stalking Cuomo at the Labor Day parade, and Cuomo trying Really Hard not to see her when she was about three feet away. The report I read tried to sell it as Cuomo's security team keeping her away, but I didn't see that as much as Cuomo refusing to acknowledge her. Loved her shit-eating grin, though.
ImageImageImage

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:58 am

New York Times Cuomo Defeats Teachout, Liberal Rival, in the Democratic Primary Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo of New York claimed the Democratic nomination for a second term on Tuesday, but at a considerable price: A liberal challenger with little money or name recognition, Zephyr Teachout, was on track to receive about a third of the vote, a signal of the potent dissatisfaction with Mr. Cuomo in his party’s left wing. Mr. Cuomo avoided what could have been a more damaging blow to his prestige, as his choice for lieutenant governor, Kathy Hochul, a former congresswoman from Buffalo, soundly defeated Ms. Teachout’s running mate, Tim Wu. In a statement on Tuesday night, the governor congratulated Ms. Teachout and Mr. Wu, who are both law professors, “on running a spirited campaign, engaging in the democratic process and having the courage to make their voices heard.” Mr. Cuomo now heads into the November general election in a strong position, facing a little-known conservative opponent in a state where Democrats outnumber Republicans two to one.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:10 am

Zephyr done good. About 34 percent of he vote. I'll be curious to see where her votes came from. In my small corner of the Upstate Wilderness, both Hilary C and Kirsten G were making robo calls to registered Dems on behalf of Cuomo. In my tiny district, we had 51 voters (33 R, 18 D). Zephyr got 13 votes and Cumoo 5. Very interesting!
ImageImageImage

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:35 am

That is truly a very tiny district, p0rtia!

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:37 am

Is the Times' editorial board a Democratic player or protester? Nobody believed that The New York Times' decision not to endorse Governor Andrew Cuomo in yesterday's Democratic primary would be a deciding factor in the race. But insofar as it expressed a liberal dissatisfaction with Cuomo's record, it at least comported with the results: Zephyr Teachout and Tim Wu drew approximately 35 and 40 percent of the vote in their bids for governor and lieutenant governor, respectively, making theirs a shockingly successful protest. But the controversial decision by the editorial board in the governor's race is one of the few in this primary that fell on the right side of history. ... To be clear, the mixed record shouldn't be taken as evidence that the Times endorsement doesn't matter. While some of its candidates of choice ended up losing in competitive races—Liu and Christensen—other of the Times' "failed" endorsements, like Koppell and Wu, were principled suicide missions. So a pure win-loss analysis would punish the paper for having the courage of its convictions, rather than being cheaply transactional. About that, though: The Times no longer appears to be completely sure what its convictions are, when it comes to the mission of the editorial board itself. Part of the board's justification for that odd, tradition-defying Cuomo-Teachout non-endorsement was that Teachout wasn't thought to a plausible candidate for governor. But that didn't stop them from endorsing Wu, who had even less political experience than Teachout, and who duly proceeded to outperform his unendorsed running mate by more than 20,000 votes.

Return to “Governors & State Elections”