2014 NJ-12: Rush Holt (D) Out

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:00 pm

[link]Associated Press,http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/ ... story.html[/link]

US Rep. Holt from NJ won’t seek re-election

WEST WINDSOR, N.J. — U.S. Rep Rush Holt says he will not seek re-election in November and will retire from Congress when his term ends in January.

The Democrat who represents central New Jersey’s 12th District announced his decision with an email to constituents on Tuesday.

Holt holds a doctorate in physics. Before joining Congress in 1999, he had a career in academia. He ran for the U.S. Senate last year but lost in the primary to Cory Booker.

His retirement ensures major changes in New Jersey’s congressional delegation next year.

Democratic Rep. Rob Andrews resigned this month. Republican Rep. Jon Runyan is also not seeking re-election.Also:

[link]Politico,http://www.politico.com/story/2014/02/r ... z2tha4aw5g[/link]

New Jersey Democrat Rush Holt to quit House

New Jersey Rep. Rush Holt, an eight-term Democrat, will not seek reelection in 2014, he announced Tuesday.

“There is no hidden motive for my decision,” Holt, 65, said in a statement. “As friends who have worked with me know, I have never thought that the primary purpose of my work was re-election and I have never intended to make service in the House my entire career. For a variety of reasons, personal and professional, all of them positive and optimistic, the end of this year seems to me to be the right time to step aside and ask the voters to select the next representative.”

Holt, a member of the House Education and the Workforce Committee, is a nuclear physicist and a former Swarthmore College professor. He’s also a former Jeopardy! champion.

Democrats will be heavily favored to keep Holt’s central New Jersey seat, which broke for President Barack Obama by 34 percentage points in 2012.

Democracy is a garden that has to be tended. -Barack Obama

DaveMuckey

Post by DaveMuckey » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:08 pm

We're going to miss him.

SPen

Post by SPen » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:42 am

State Senator Linda Greenstein already announced her intentions to succeed Holt so his seat will be in good hands. There will probably be a lot of action in the Democratic primary though.

Return to “U.S. House of Representatives”