2014 US Senate: Texas

magdalen77

Post by magdalen77 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:58 pm

We don't register by party in Texas. We can vote in either primary, making the choice once we are at the polling place.So I don't get it. I fit the profile of a Stockman supporter. I live in his district. I'm registered to vote. He should be sending me all his crazy stuff. My taxes pay his salary. Well, I certainly won't be voting for him. (or any Republican, can't use my vote to make trouble for them when the Democrats have to stop that LaRouche supporter.)I wish we could do that in PA. Mebbe, I'd use the vote to vote for the most crazy-assed Teabagger to run for Senate or Governor. Though not this year, of course, Core-butt is running for re-election unopposed but there's a couple of good Democrats. I haven't decided if I'm voting for Allyson (Schwartz) or Katie (McGinty). Cheer-up, though, Mr. V. You could be like me, OFA, Emily's List and Act Blue have me on speed dial and they're constantly e-mailing me "alerts".

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:25 pm

Strange though - with this guy a parody robocall into this area would be mistaken for the real thing???

“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:20 pm

Early primary voting just ended in Texas. Mrs. V. and I voted in the Democratic primary so as to be able to help stop the LaRouche candidate for US Senate who for some strange reason has been leading in the polls. Not that I think that any Democratic Party candidate has a chance against Cornyn but a LaRouche supporter on the statewide ballot would damage the Democratic Party as a whole.Mrs. V. had a bit of trouble because on her voter registration her middle name is spelled out but on her drivers license there is just the initial (or visa versa). However, they had a form available for her to change her name on the voter registration to match the drivers license. I think things are more complicated if you need to change the last name.There were 70 different races and 4 questions on the ballot. :shock: Statewide races, county races, local races and party races. A good thing about voting in the Democratic primary is that most of the races were unopposed and so could be ignored. Those who voted Republican have more decisions to make. ;) In the Democratic primary there are only two races where runoffs are possible (more than two candidates), US Senate and TX Comm. of Agriculture.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

SPen

Post by SPen » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:24 pm

LaRouche has been leading in primary polling based purely off of name recognition from so many runs.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:06 am

Houston Chronicle suggesting that the TX Senate Primary may foretell the future of the Tea Party.Win, lose or draw - and nobody expects U.S. Sen. John Cornyn to lose - Texas' GOP senate primary will send a message to Washington.Cornyn's tea party critics, principally Republican gadfly Steve Stockman, see a chance to give the Senate's GOP establishment a taste of good, old-fashioned Texas populism.With the wildly erratic Texas congressman as the movement's best bet, however, the first primary of 2014 also could reignite a festering narrative of the tea party as a spent force in national politics.That, many experts say, is what really is at stake when GOP voters go to the polls Tuesday in a state widely regarded as the ancestral homeland of the tea party movement.[/break1]houstonchronicle.com/news/politics/us/article/For-Cornyn-more-at-stake-than-winning-5281304.php?hcatfpm=]http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/po ... p?hcatfpm=There are 8 candidates in the Republican primary. The 7 non-Cornyn's could get enough votes total to force a runoff. Cornyn would win a runoff easily but just having it would be embarrassing for him.Stockman has made a mess of his campaign (as widely predicted ;) ) and the Tea Party folks have been tripping over themselves the last few days to denounce Stockman and endorse Stovall.If we can believe Wikipedia, the endorsement situation is as follows-[/break1]wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_election_in_Texas,_2014#Polling]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Sta ... 14#PollingSteve StockmanIndividualsJerome Corsi, historian and journalist[23]OrganizationsRevolution PAC[24]Gun Owners of America[25]Dwayne StovallGroupsCypress Tea PartyAlvin Tea PartyTexas ConservativesICVFire Fighters for LibertyRepublican Liberty Caucus of CD36Bigfoot’s Hot Shot TransportJustin RegisterPearland TEA PartyTexasConservatives.orgGrassroots America - We the PeopleSouth Texas Tea Party NetworkNacogdoches Tea PartyStand Across AmericaYoung Republicans of HoustonRepublican Liberty Caucus of CD 36Katy LiberTeaSouthern ConservativeKaufman Tea PartyPearland Tea PartyFacebook Tea PartyTeaParty911Montague County Tea PartySam Houston Tea PartyLlano Tea PartyCass County Tea PartyWichita Falls Tea PartyLake Jackson Tea Party (straw poll win)Ellis County (straw poll win)Tri-County Tea PartyClearlake Tea PartyOverpasses for Obama's ImpeachmentAlvin Tea PartyFirefighters for LibertyOf course Cornyn has the establishment endorsements-John CornynIndividualsKay Granger, U.S. Representative[17]Rick Perry, Governor of Texas[18]Karl Rove, Republican campaign consultant; appeared with Cornyn in rally in Longview[19]George Strake, Jr., former chairman of the Republican Party of Texas, former Secretary of State of Texas, and unsuccessful candidate for Lieutenant Governor of Texas in 1982[20]OrganizationsTexas Right to Life PAC[21]United States Chamber of Commerce[22]The recent UoT/Texas Tribune poll had Cornyn 62%, Stockman 16% and Stovall 4% but that was taken before the Tea Parties gave up on Stockman.

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:23 pm

Steve Stockman threatens to sue anybody who publishes his mugshot. The Texas conservative’s underdog Senate campaign on Monday published a defiant statement, claiming that Stockman has “grounds to file criminal complaints” against any person or media organization that published his 1977 arrest record and mugshot. “A Michigan official has removed documents from a state website that erroneously claimed U.S. Congressman Steve Stockman had been convicted of a crime in the 1970s,” Stockman spokesperson Donny Ferguson wrote on the campaign’s website. “Michigan’s 43rd Judicial District Clerk stated Stockman was never convicted of any charge and the documents were supposed to have been destroyed in 1978. Another Michigan official has advised Stockman he has grounds to file criminal complaints against any person or media organization that published the documents.”So, of course, everybody is publishing his mugshot.[/break1]com/2014/03/arrest-us-steve-stockman-we-dare-you/]http://thedailybanter.com/2014/03/arres ... -dare-you/[/break1]com/muckraker/stockman-mugshot-threat]http://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/ ... hot-threat[/break1]com/2014/03/03/candidate-steve-stockman-threatens-to-jail-anyone-who-publishes-his-mugshot-which-we-just-published-again/]http://freakoutnation.com/2014/03/03/ca ... hed-again/[/break1]blogspot.com/2014/03/stockman-threatening-legal-action.html]http://pushingrope.blogspot.com/2014/03 ... ction.htmland so on.

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:25 pm

Dems Fear Anti-Obamacare, Pro-Impeachment Candidate Could Win Nod For Senate Seat

The Hill reported Monday that Democrats are "scrambling" to prevent Kesha Rogers, a supporter of Lyndon LaRouche, from getting the nomination. The fear has some grounding.

A University of Texas/Texas Tribune poll last month found that Rogers has 35 percent support in the Democratic primary while dentist David Alameel gets 27 percent and attorney Maxey Scherr gets 15 percent. If no candidate can get more than 50 percent support there's a runoff between the top two candidates in May.

Rogers has also previously drawn Hitler mustaches on posters of Obama, according to The Hill.

Alameel, The Hill notes, has the lead in fundraising having collected $3.5 million toward his candidacy followed by Scherr with $300,000 and Rogers with a tiny $27,000.more:

[/break1]com/livewire/texas-democratic-nomination-kesha-rogers]http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/t ... sha-rogers

They should be worried. She's won a Dem primary in Texas before, at least once.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:54 pm

Steve Stockman threatens to sue anybody who publishes his mugshot. The Texas conservative’s underdog Senate campaign on Monday published a defiant statement, claiming that Stockman has “grounds to file criminal complaints” against any person or media organization that published his 1977 arrest record and mugshot. “A Michigan official has removed documents from a state website that erroneously claimed U.S. Congressman Steve Stockman had been convicted of a crime in the 1970s,” Stockman spokesperson Donny Ferguson wrote on the campaign’s website. “Michigan’s 43rd Judicial District Clerk stated Stockman was never convicted of any charge and the documents were supposed to have been destroyed in 1978. Another Michigan official has advised Stockman he has grounds to file criminal complaints against any person or media organization that published the documents.”So, of course, everybody is publishing his mugshot.[/break1]com/2014/03/arrest-us-steve-stockman-we-dare-you/]http://thedailybanter.com/2014/03/arres ... -dare-you/[/break1]com/muckraker/stockman-mugshot-threat]http://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/ ... hot-threat[/break1]com/2014/03/03/candidate-steve-stockman-threatens-to-jail-anyone-who-publishes-his-mugshot-which-we-just-published-again/]http://freakoutnation.com/2014/03/03/ca ... hed-again/[/break1]blogspot.com/2014/03/stockman-threatening-legal-action.html]http://pushingrope.blogspot.com/2014/03 ... ction.htmland so on.I really wonder if this is the kind of publicity he needs on the day before the election. :confuzzled: He confirms that he was arrested. Meanwhile, the Tea Party's new favorite TX candidate for the Senate is attacking Stockman on the ethics front-The Dwayne Stovall campaign says it has uncovered proof that Steve Stockman’s campaign broke the law and exposed its donors to potential harm. Detailed records of Stockman’s donors’ contributions reportedly were discovered on the website of the Center for the American Future, a 501(c)(4) group.“If the Center for the American Future had no connection to the Stockman for Senate 2014 campaign, Stockman’s 2014 contributions between Feb 11 and Feb 12 couldn’t find their way to the Center for the American Future website. The only way that’s possible is if the two are not separate at all,” according to an emailed statement from Brett Rogers, Stovall’s campaign manager. “Further, the two connected organizations treated donor financial information carelessly, without proper security precautions.”AdvertisementThe Stovall campaign has filed two complaints against Stockman with the Federal Election Commission.“As a native Texan, any effort by any candidate to game an election with illegal mailers, surveys, sample ballots, and in this case actual fake newspapers ought to offend the common decency and ethics of any Texan. Millions of Texas voters are being played by people from outside of Texas for their own gain,” said Stovall. “Some might suggest that this is ’politics as usual.’ No, it’s not. Stockman was fined $40,000 for unethical behavior by the FEC in the 1990’s for gimmicks like this. The FEC doesn’t issue fines for typical politics.”[/break1]yourhoustonnews.com/cleveland/news/us-senate-race-heats-up-stovall-campaign-files-fec-complains/article_9eefe429-5c80-502b-b035-a3784dc78360.html]http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/clevelan ... 78360.html

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:34 pm

We might as well get in on the action, eh?
Last edited by Reality Check on Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed attachments

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:16 am

I wondered what had happened to Kurt Cobain.

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:50 am

It is a cold and wet day today for the primary which may mean low turnout. Highs will be in the 30's . Some areas have ice. I have jury duty and am at a county courthouse today. It is very busy. I doubt that most of the people here even know the primary is today. They have more immediate concerns.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:33 pm

Back from the courthouse. There were 318 cases today but no jurors were needed.The wet cold weather is depressing the election turnout in greater Houston area. :( Tuesday's temperatures may not have been glacial, but the pace of voting in some precincts was. By late morning, only two voters cast ballots at the east Houston Ripley House and at Wharton Elementary, west of downtown, only 16 had arrived.Normally, four times as many voters would have cast ballots on a primary election morning, said poll workers at the elementary school. At Wheeler Avenue Baptist Church, only 25 morning voters turned out, leading Election Judge Nat West to lament "Usually we're a superstar in the 10 percent" of all precincts.County elections spokesman Hector DeLeon said no major problems arose during the morning's voting. But, he added, his wife, an election judge at a big Hispanic precinct, reported only three voters.As balloting began at 7 a.m., Harris and surrounding counties were included in a National Weather Service winter storm warning that predicted as much as one-fourth inch ice in some areas. By 9:40 a.m., the warning expired, and, by late morning, temperatures had climbed to 34 degrees.[/break1]chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Cold-rain-blamed-for-slow-voter-turnout-5287036.php?cmpid=hpbn]http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas ... cmpid=hpbn

Jez

Post by Jez » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:38 pm

Well, it's a decent day here, in the upper 40s so I'm going to be heading out the polling place in a little while after i get some work done. I looked up the sample ballots and found it interesting that there are what I'm guessing are platform questions on the ballots for Dems and Reps. Just an observation. :)

I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:34 pm

So far-John Cornyn (Incumbent)65.7%195,233Steve Stockman16.1%47,852Dwayne Stovall8.0%23,695

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:35 pm

Democrats-Statewide resultsVotesDavid Alameel51.5%74,857Kesha Rogers23.0%33,387

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:38 pm

So far-Statewide resultsVotesJohn Cornyn (Incumbent)63.5%253,650Steve Stockman17.4%69,696Dwayne Stovall9.1%36,240

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:45 pm

Looks like there will be a runoff for Stockman's House seat.Brian Babin30.2%5,645Ben Streusand29.1%5,446John Manlove8.9%1,659Robin Riley5.8%1,081Dave Norman5.5%1,026Doug Centilli5.3%987John Amdur2.8%

bob

Post by bob » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:49 pm

Stockman didn't lose: now he's free to expose Obama without fear of losing his seat! /birther

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:58 pm

Stockman didn't lose: now he's free to expose Obama without fear of losing his seat! /birtherBecause he has already lost it. ;) There was no way that Stockman could have lost his his gerrymandered house seat if he ran for re-election. He didn't. Sure we will get another Republican but neither of the front runners is as crazy as Stockman! Just a bit better, but better! ;)

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:13 pm

Houston Chronicle now saying that Abbot and Davis have won for governor with no runoff. Cornyn has won for Senate with no runoff.Stockman is now a lame duck.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:27 pm

Democrats may have a runoff for TX race for US Senator.David Alameel50.9%109,614Kesha Rogers22.5%48,462Maxey Scherr13.3%28,530

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:37 pm

GOVERNOR SENATE HOUSEStatewide resultsVotesDavid Alameel49.8%117,551Kesha Rogers21.7%51,200Maxey Scherr15.4%36,305Harry Kim8.8%20,772Fjet Fjetland4.3%10,266Last updated: March 3, 2014 at 9:34 p.m. EST

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:05 pm

U.S. Sen. John Cornyn held off tea party challenger Steve Stockman, a U.S. representative from Friendswood, in the Republican primary for U.S. Senate."We wish Senator Cornyn best of luck in November and urge everyone to vote for, volunteer for and support the whole Texas GOP ticket," the Stockman campaign tweeted shortly after 8 p.m.David M. Alameel led Kesha Rogers and three others in the Democratic race to face the GOP nominee in the Senate race in November.In the hotly contested Republican race for lieutenant governor, state Sen. Dan Patrick led in early statewide voting.[/break1]chron.com/news/politics/texas/article/Cornyn-victorious-over-Stockman-for-GOP-ticket-5289017.php?cmpid=bna]http://www.chron.com/news/politics/texa ... ?cmpid=bna

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:07 pm

from Politico - 2014 Texas Primaries Resultsclick a tab for: Senate House Governor[/break1]politico.com/2014-election/results/map/governor/texas/]http://www.politico.com/2014-election/r ... nor/texas/There are a lot of uncontested House races.

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Return to “U.S. Senate”