2014 US Senate: Mississippi

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:06 pm

I doubt the claims made by McDaniel implicated the NVRA. I don't think attorney's fees will be awarded. But I hope I'm wrong.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:03 pm

You're very cynical. I like that in a mouse with a gun. I thought it was a mouse with a guitar. :oops:

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:46 pm

I doubt the claims made by McDaniel implicated the NVRA. I don't think attorney's fees will be awarded. But I hope I'm wrong. McDaniel was not a party in this case. The motion for fees is being filed by the Mississippi Republican Party against True the Vote. True the Vote sued under NVRA to obtain voter information to try to prove election irregularities including crossover voting.

"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:48 pm

Then I stand corrected. True the Vote may very well be liable for fees. A few judgments like this and these troublemakers may go away. I certainly hope so. McDaniel's lawsuit was not under the NVRA.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:12 pm

M<cDaniel's brief in the appeal of the dismissal is due today. We should see it posted tomorrow.

mimi

Post by mimi » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:39 pm

AP posted a story, but I don't see a link to the filing. I love the headline. LOL Loser to Sen. Thad Cochran files appeal argumentsBy EMILY WAGSTER PETTUSPublished: 8 minutes ago JACKSON, Miss. (AP) - A defeated Senate candidate in Mississippi is arguing that a state court judge was wrong to dismiss his lawsuit that sought to overturn his Republican primary loss to incumbent Thad Cochran.Attorneys for the tea party-backed candidate, state Sen. Chris McDaniel, filed legal arguments with the Mississippi Supreme Court late Thursday, hours before a midnight deadline.The arguments mirror what McDaniel's attorneys had said before Judge Hollis McGehee dismissed McDaniel's lawsuit last month - that current state law does not specify a deadline for a candidate to challenge a primary loss.McGehee had agreed with Cochran's attorneys in saying a Mississippi Supreme Court ruling in a 1959 election dispute set a timeline for trying to overturn a primary loss, and that McDaniel waited too long to challenge results of the June 24 Republican primary runoff.McDaniel attorney Mitch Tyner wrote in his brief Thursday that the 1959 Supreme Court ruling became irrelevant when the state Legislature rewrote election laws in 1986. remainder:http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_268748/conten ... d=XMW8U1Rb

kreisman

Post by kreisman » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:38 am

Having scanned McDaniel's brief I see that he is arguing for strict, literal, construction of the election law that sets no time limits for a challenge to a multi-county election. An interesting argument in light of the fact that a strict, literal, construction of the election law about crossover voting restricts such behavior only on the day of an election. There is no prohibition against voting in one party's primary and on another day voting in the other party's primary runoff primary. Ooops. [The picture that is now associated with my comments is my wife's who is a midwife. Where did my gangster picture go (and why did my wife's picture appear as she is not a member)? Also, how do you check spelling in this new system?]

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:43 am

Not sure how your avatar got changed. Maybe one you used long ago. In any event, I restored the gangster photo. Spellcheck should be done by your browser.

When reality is outlawed only outlaws will have reality.

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:17 am

Will blogger Johnson appear before grand jury?Geoff Pender, The Clarion-Ledger 5:32 p.m. CDT September 18, 2014 It's unclear whether California political blogger Charles C. Johnson, who raised claims of vote buying against U.S. Sen. Thad Cochran, will be appearing before a Lauderdale County grand jury next week. A spokeswoman for Attorney General Jim Hood said the AG's policy is to neither confirm nor deny the issuance of a grand jury subpoena or related investigation. But she said in general, regarding subpoenas, "anyone who fails to follow an order to appear in court can be held in contempt of court." It appears any grand jury investigation would be into whether people lied about vote buying rather than the vote buying allegations. Johnson posted on social media photos of a subpoena he said he was served while in Mississippi on a speaking tour last month. The subpoena commanded Johnson to appear before a Lauderdale County grand jury on Sept. 22 in conjunction with an investigation into a possible felony. Since then, Johnson said on a conservative online radio show that he was debating whether to show and "I don't know that I intend to go walk right into the lion's den." more: http://www.clarionledger.com/story/news ... /15850425/

pitbullsigh

Post by pitbullsigh » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:40 am

Will blogger Johnson appear before grand jury?Geoff Pender, The Clarion-Ledger 5:32 p.m. CDT September 18, 2014 It's unclear whether California political blogger Charles C. Johnson, who raised claims of vote buying against U.S. Sen. Thad Cochran, will be appearing before a Lauderdale County grand jury next week. A spokeswoman for Attorney General Jim Hood said the AG's policy is to neither confirm nor deny the issuance of a grand jury subpoena or related investigation. But she said in general, regarding subpoenas, "anyone who fails to follow an order to appear in court can be held in contempt of court." It appears any grand jury investigation would be into whether people lied about vote buying rather than the vote buying allegations. Johnson posted on social media photos of a subpoena he said he was served while in Mississippi on a speaking tour last month. The subpoena commanded Johnson to appear before a Lauderdale County grand jury on Sept. 22 in conjunction with an investigation into a possible felony. Since then, Johnson said on a conservative online radio show that he was debating whether to show and "I don't know that I intend to go walk right into the lion's den." more:http://www.clarionledger.com/story/news ... /15850425/ meh. no matter if he goes or not the lies will just continue from super liar,, racist, buyer of votes and "award winning journalist" Johnsonthis just gives her more stories to tell of his imaginary persecution for all of the stories that he tells :roll:

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:55 pm

I scanned McSoreloser's brief. Tyner repeated the same losing arguments that revisions in the election code were substantive and in effect overturned the Kellum v Johnson decision. Let's see if he has better luck than he did with Judge McGehee.I think his argument on Gunn v Barbour is particularly weak. He argued that since the court challenge in Gunn v Barbour, which was it was filed outside the 20 day window of Kellums that was a de facto acknowledgment by the court that the 20 day deadline imposed on statewide contest by Kellums no longer applied and had been repelled by a revision of the election codes. Tyner is apparently clairvoyant and can read minds of all the parties Involved and determine that they considered Kellums and knew it had been repealed when the new codes were passed even thought he applicable wording in the codes was identical to the law in place when Kellums was decided.

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:55 pm

John Pittman Hey @JohnPittmanHey Conservative Action Fund files a surprising amicus brief on McDaniel's behalf with the MS Sup Ct. The brief... fb.me/3fzASSoWt John Pittman Hey @JohnPittmanHey CAF amicus brief for McD argues that federal constitution bars court from applying the Kellum decision to this case.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:10 am

I read this Amicus Brief. This is my summary: CAF argues that the court should not dismiss because Kellum v Johnson was bad law and violated the US Constitution by meddling with the state legislature's exclusive authority to determine how federal elections are conducted. They cite Bush v Gore of course. #-o Their remedy is to have the Mississippi Supreme Court meddle with the power of the legislature to conduct elections by unilaterally acting to postpone the election for US Senator until McDaniel's challenge can be heard. ](*,)

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:55 am

Chuck is supposed to be in Mississippi tomorrow, but he sez he's not going. He's being persecuted and all. Charles C. Johnson @ChuckCJohnson · 2h The political persecution by MS AG Jim Hood of a California journalist & a rival campaign is disgusting. I will never be a party to it. Charles C. Johnson @ChuckCJohnson · 2h Today I have defied an illegal subpoena issued by AG Jim Hood for committing journalism in California by exposing voter fraud in #mssen.

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:57 am

I read this Amicus Brief. This is my summary: CAF argues that the court should not dismiss because Kellum v Johnson was bad law and violated the US Constitution by meddling with the state legislature's exclusive authority to determine how federal elections are conducted. They cite Bush v Gore of course. #-o Their remedy is to have the Mississippi Supreme Court meddle with the power of the legislature to conduct elections by unilaterally acting to postpone the election for US Senator until McDaniel's challenge can be heard. ](*,) Another summary: Chris McDaniel has a friend, who thinks Bush v. Gore will help McDaniel win. The Conservative Action Fund, through Thomas A. McKnight, Jr. of the law firm Wallace, Jordan, Ratliff & Brandt, LLC in Birmingham, has asked to file an amicus brief on behalf of Chris McDaniel in the Mississippi Supreme Court. The brief states that the CAC’s mission is to protect the right of big donors to give unlimited money as a First Amendment right (well, they don’t put it exactly that way, but that’s what it means). They took to the United States Supreme Court the case McCutcheon v. F.E.C., which overturned the aggregate contribution limits in Congressional races. The CAC seems to be the creation of McCutcheon and to have been set up just for that lawsuit. McCutcheon is an electrical engineer in the coal industry who lives in suburban Alabama. The motion for leave to file outlines the issues raised in the brief: remainder:http://nmisscommentor.com/politics/chri ... aniel-win/

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:53 am

Blogger says he's defying AG Hood's subpoena Political Ledger Geoff Pender, The Clarion-Ledger 9:19 a.m. CDT September 22, 2014 http://www.clarionledger.com/story/poli ... /16042973/ So nothing will happen?

bob

Post by bob » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:53 am

So nothing will happen?Sir Charles bravely ran away -- beyond Mississippi's jurisdiction.

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:16 pm

Conservative Journalist Claims To Defy 'Illegal Subpoena' In Miss. ByTom KludtPublished September 22, 2014, 12:08 PM EDT First, he defied an order to not disclose the existence of a subpoena from Mississippi's attorney general. Now conservative journalist Charles C. Johnson says he's defying the subpoena itself. Johnson, who's inserted himself in the middle of the conflict over the contentious Mississippi Senate runoff since he reported on widely disputed vote-buying allegations in July, said in a series of tweets on Monday that he's "defied an illegal subpoena" that was handed down by Jim Hood, the state's Democratic attorney general. Today I have defied an illegal subpoena issued by AG Jim Hood for committing journalism in California by exposing voter fraud in #mssen. — Charles C. Johnson (@ChuckCJohnson) September 22, 2014 The political persecution by MS AG Jim Hood of a California journalist & a rival campaign is disgusting. I will never be a party to it. — Charles C. Johnson (@ChuckCJohnson) September 22, 2014 If MS AG Jim Hood wants to find me he can find me in California where I do all my journalism. — Charles C. Johnson (@ChuckCJohnson) September 22, 2014 Stenographers for power in Mississippi may well criticize me for refusing to appear in a kangaroo court but you & I know the truth. — Charles C. Johnson (@ChuckCJohnson) September 22, 2014 Hood's office did not immediately respond to TPM's request for comment. The subpoena, which was issued last month, ordered Johnson to appear before a grand jury at the Lauderdale County, Miss. Circuit Court on Monday over the "payment of an interview to Stevie Fielder," the source who originally claimed that Sen. Thad Cochran's (R-MS) campaign bribed black voters. more: http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/c ... ign=buffer

AnitaMaria

Post by AnitaMaria » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:46 pm

Just last month, Chuckles offered to give all his evidence to MS AG Jim Hood. Here's the tweet from Aug. 6. I guess he changed his mind. http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n54 ... 3857069056

kate520

Post by kate520 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:57 pm

His picture makes me want to smack him. Seriously. I know a 10 year old version of him. "Nyah, Nyah, you can't make me, go ahead and try. I'll call 911 and tell them you're hurting me." I would bet a good deal of money that Charlie doesn't get along with his siblings at all. :lol: . This behavior starts way back in childhood.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

ducktape

Post by ducktape » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:05 pm

When I was a kid, there was no 911. But there was always the threat of calling the mattress police!

Family Liberty Patriot

Post by Family Liberty Patriot » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:06 pm

His picture makes me want to smack him. Seriously. I know a 10 year old version of him. It's funny; every website I've seen discuss Chuckles has some variant of comment upon his Punch-Me Face.Glad it's not just me.

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - 2006)

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:23 pm

@ChuckCJohnson doesn't have any evidence. It's all bullshit.

Family Liberty Patriot

Post by Family Liberty Patriot » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:46 pm

@ChuckCJohnson doesn't have any evidence. It's all bullshit.Yabbut that would mean he's a liar, a blogger, a polemicist and a propagandist, and not a journalist at all.

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - 2006)

Return to “U.S. Senate”