2014 US Senate: Mississippi

gupwalla

Post by gupwalla » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:50 pm

Childers would vote for Dem leadership. He would not always vote with Dem leadership.If I were a MS voter I would hold my nose and pull the Childers lever.I wish more GOP senators were in the Cochran mold, but even more I wish we had fewer GOP senators.

In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:40 pm

JACKSON, Miss. —A Texas-based group, True the Vote, will not appeal its loss in a lawsuit that sought access to Mississippi voters' birthdates after a disputed Republican primary for U.S. Senate.

U.S. District Judge Nancy Atlas filed an order Tuesday dismissing the lawsuit filed by True the Vote and several Mississippi residents.

The dismissal came more than a month after Atlas ruled against the plaintiffs. She said disclosing voters' birthdates "raises serious concerns" about privacy, particularly if dates were released with full names and addresses.

After a tea party-backed candidate, state Sen. Chris McDaniel, lost a June 24 Republican primary runoff to Sen. Thad Cochran, McDaniel supporters searched voting records to look for irregularities. They said they needed to see birthdates so they could verify identities of different voters with similar names.

Read more: http://www.wapt.com/politics/judge-dism ... z3FgqqffJo

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:41 pm

CANTON, Miss. —Prosecutors said they are in plea bargain talks with a man allegedly involved in an incident where illicit photographs were taken of the bedridden wife of U.S. Sen. Thad Cochran during the Republican Party primary campaign.

Madison County District Attorney Michael Guest told the Madison County Journal that the talks could result in Richard Sager, a teacher from Laurel, testifying against the only man indicted in the case, Clayton Kelly.

Guest said Sager's case has not been presented to a grand jury pending plea negotiations.

Kelly was indicted on charges stemming from the April incident at St. Catherine's Village, where the senator's wife, Rose Cochran, has lived for several years with dementia.

Authorities said Kelly photographed Rose Cochran, without permission, and posted her image online as part of a political video criticizing the six-term senator.

Read more: http://www.wapt.com/news/central-missis ... z3FgrUxI9V

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:13 pm

It seems the Mississippi Supreme Court is in no great hurry to decide whether to uphold the motion to dismiss Chris McDaniel's challenge against Thad Cochran. The general election is now less than two weeks away. Even if McDaniel wins the appeal the case would just be sent back to the Judge McGehee to continue an election contest that McDaniel has zero chance of winning. I suspect the SC will eventually uphold McGehee's dismissal but I am sure the more conservative members are having heartburn over angering the Teatards who support McDaniel and think he was robbed when all those dark complected Democrats voted for Cochran in the primary runoff.

"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:27 pm

Well, Yall Politics is using its "McDaniel Hostage Crises" articles these days by curiously not actually mentioning McDaniel at all and instead giving it wall to wall anti-Childers and anti-Obama rhetoric. Probably because they figured out the McD stuff was driving more clicks to the website so they simply loaded their standard anti-Demotcat spiel into there to get more eyes on it.

McD is doner than a done done doner kebab.

"The devil...the prowde spirite...cannot endure to be mocked.” - Thomas Moore

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:40 pm

I used to follow the Twitter hash tag #MSSEN daily but tonight was the first time I had checked it in a week. I never took the McDaniel supporters seriously when they said they would vote for Childers to get back at Cochran and Haley Barbour. Some of them might stay home but not enough to matter. I think McDaniel is trying to play the martyr role into a run for governor in 2016. It was fun to watch for a while but has become boring.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:42 pm

Chuck my Johnson running for the hills didn't really help in the interest stakes.

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:12 pm

Margaret Ann Morgan @Margaret_AnnM

BREAKING: Mississippi Supreme Court rejects Chris McDaniel's appeal. #mssen

Courtney Ann Jackson @courtneyannj

BREAKING: MS Supreme Court upholds lower court decision saying Cochran filed election contest in timely manner. #mssen

edit. deleted the ruling cuz it was the one from september.

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:14 pm

No, it's the right one. says 'affirmed'.

http://www.thetaxpayerschannel.org/pdfs ... cision.pdf

Tomtech

Post by Tomtech » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:49 pm

BREAKING: MS Supreme Court upholds lower court decision saying Cochran filed election contest in timely manner. #mssen

:shock:

The Chriscam is open for public viewing.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:00 pm

She must have been reading only the dissenters at the bottom of the ruling.

Mnoho lidí se za našeho prezidenta stydí.

Žluté vlasy se k oranžové tváři nehodí.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:03 pm

She must have been reading only the dissenters at the bottom of the ruling.

Or not reading at all considering McD is the one who filed the challenge to begin with.

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:34 pm

I guess I wasn't either cuz I copy/pasted it and I knew he lost.

Yes, the big grift is over.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:36 pm

The decision was 4-2 against McDaniel with 3 justices not participating. Three justices (King writing the opinion joined by Kitchens and Waller concurring agreed the 1959 Kellum decision imposed a 20 day deadline. Randolph concurred with the affirmation but not on the same grounds. His opinion is just weird. He says it is a nonjusticiable political question that the legislature should decide. Coleman and Lamar dissented and concluded that Kellum didn't apply because the legislature had made substantive changes in the election laws. Dickinson, Pierce and Chandler sat this one out. It is over but I am not betting money McDaniel will figure that it is.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:03 am

:-bd

... and how does that make you feel?
What is it you're trying to say?
:think:
#pasta

realist

Post by realist » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:04 am

the Clarion-Ledger

McDaniel in statement said, "Republicans are still left wanting justice" by the decision and said he hopes "conservatives in Mississippi will view this decision as a driving factor to get involved in Republican politics."

Neither McDaniel nor his lead attorney Mitch Tyner answered definitively on Friday whether the ruling will put end to his trying to overturn the election, but McDaniel said, "now is time to turn the page and work to enact true conservative change." Tyner said that while he disagreed with the ruling, "we are glad the Supreme Court finally ruled and Mississippi conservatives can move forward into 2015."

Cochran adviser Austin Barbour said: "I think all of Mississippi hopes this process is over. I think all Mississippians are ready to move past this whole episode we've been dealing with for months now."

Cochran's lawyers, Phil Abernethy and Mark Garriga of the Butler Snow Firm, issued a statement Friday saying McDaniel's challenge was "baseless," and "The will of the voters has now been validated by the Mississippi Supreme Court."

[hlyellow]

Tyner has noted that McDaniel still hasn't had his "day in court" on the merits of his challenge, but instead had it dismissed "on technicalities."

[/hlyellow] :roll:

ImageX 4 ImageX36

realist

Post by realist » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:09 am

ImageX 4 ImageX36

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:27 am

Well "being totally wrong" is just a technicality.

pitbullsigh

Post by pitbullsigh » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:24 pm

Well "being totally wrong" is just a technicality.

I see he believes in Orly law also

the actual law is all just a big ole pile of technicalities according to these folks.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:49 pm

It's a tragedy that McDaniel didn't know any good election lawyers in Mississippi, or he might have filed his challenge before the deadline expired. Then we could have had a ruling on the merits regarding his total bullshit. :D

... and how does that make you feel?
What is it you're trying to say?
:think:
#pasta

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:15 pm

McDaniel bowed out (maybe) with the same lack of class he has shown through the entire election cycle. Instead of "Congratulations Senator Cochran. We fought a good fight but you prevailed in the end". We got a whiny crybaby response one would expect from a sore loser who thought he was entitled to win because he was chosen by Gawd. Screw McDaniel. The Senate is a better place because this piece of dung will never be seated there.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:14 pm

McDaniel's attorney Mitch Tyner who failed to file the election contest on time and who wants to blame everyone else for his mistake says McDaniel may file in federal court to try to have a new election after the general election. Yeah, that isn't a typo. That's what he said.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/c ... me-senator

gupwalla

Post by gupwalla » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:19 pm

It's a tragedy that McDaniel didn't know any good election lawyers in Mississippi, or he might have filed his challenge before the deadline expired. Then we could have had a ruling on the merits regarding his total bullshit. :D

It's also a shame that McDaniel doesn't know anyone on the state legislative committee that creates election law - otherwise he could have brought some serious clarity to the contest deadline rather than leave it up to the courts to decide. or in the alternative, he could have lobbied his "friend" on the elections committee to create a closed primary system in MS.

In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:27 pm

Yep, it's a real shame. :lol:

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:36 pm

It's just a flesh wound!

Return to “U.S. Senate”