2014 US Senate: Tennessee

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Fri May 17, 2013 9:03 pm

Sen Lamar Alexander may have a primary opponent.World Wrestling Entertainment star Glenn Jacobs, known to fans by his stage-name Kane, is reportedly weighing a primary challenge against Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.). According to libertarian magazine Reason, sources close to the athlete have indicated he's "open to the possibility" of entering the political ring against Alexander. Jacobs, who currently resides in Knoxville, Tenn., has been moderately active in libertarian politics, acting as an outspoken opponent of an Internet sales tax and endorsing Ron Paul during the 2008 election. Alexander's vote for the financial bailout and his bottom-10 score from the conservative Club for Growth last session have brought him criticism from conservatives, making him potentially vulnerable to a primary challenge.[/break1]com/blogs/ballot-box/senate-races/300453-wwe-wrestler-kane-considering-challenge-to-sen-alexander]http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/sen ... -alexanderIf only Lincoln could speak about his party today.

mimi

Post by mimi » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:50 am

Confirmation: State Rep. Joe Carr to challenge Sen. Lamar Alexander

State Rep. Joe Carr announced today he will challenge U.S. Sen. Lamar Alexander in next year's Republican primary.

In his announcement on Ralph Bristol's conservative talk show on 99.7 WTN, Carr called Alexander "the most liberal" member of the state's Republican delegation.

Insiders had anticipated a tea party candidate would challenge the 73-year-old Alexander, who has become a target of those from the far right.

Carr is a fierce advocate of the Second Amendment and frequent sponsor of bills that have irritated immigrant advocates. He was elected to his House seat in 2008.more:

[/break1]wbir.com/news/article/285196/2/Confirmation-State-Rep-Joe-Carr-to-challenge-Sen-Lamar-Alexander]http://www.wbir.com/news/article/285196 ... -Alexander

Not starting out so well:

Rebecca BergVerified account ‏@rebeccagberg

Step one: Announce primary challenge to Sen. Lamar Alexander. Step two: Check spelling on campaign swag? pic.twitter.com/2Tl8X4rXsS

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BSHMWPdIcAANl5d.jpg

.[/break1]com/rebeccagberg/status/369801327238729728]https://twitter.com/rebeccagberg/status ... 7238729728

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:12 pm

US SENTATE ???

=)) =)) =))

Tennessee state representative Joe Carr will likely provide us some Christine O'Donnell type laughs but I suspect the majority of TN Teabaggers will coalesce around a different candidate or just stay home on primary election day; not that either will likely make any difference to Sen Alexander's re-election chances.

Edit: Carr would have been better off remaining a candidate against Congressman Scott DesJarlais (R-TN 04). DesJarlais is damaged goods plus congressional races are less expensive than US Senate races (except in Wyoming, South Dakota and other states that only have 1 US Representative).

mimi

Post by mimi » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:58 pm

The primary is August 7.

Laura Ingraham and Sarah Palin have endorsed Carr, so he did move in the polls. Though Alexander still leads by 10. But I don't think there's really been any polling except internals.

A bit of press:

Laura Ingraham, Tea Party Giant Killer, Eyes Her Next Scalp

By Toby Harnden - July 28, 2014

Ingraham has already claimed the scalp of Representative Eric Cantor, the third most powerful Republican in the House of Representatives, by headlining a massive rally that helped to propel his obscure opponent to a shock victory in a party primary last month.

Her appearance in Nashville was on behalf of Joe Carr, a rough-edged candidate from Tennessee who has support from the grassroots Tea Party movement. He is standing on a "no amnesty" platform to oust Senator Lamar Alexander, a genteel deal-maker on Capitol Hill, in an August 7th primary.

Alexander has backed a compromise deal on immigration that could grant a "path to citizenship" for the estimated 12m illegal immigrants in America. But hard-line conservatives such as Ingraham and Carr are advocating mass deportations.

The immigration issue, considered by Americans to be the most press­ing problem facing their country according to a recent Gallup poll, has been brought to the top of the political agenda by the presence of more than 50,000 children, mainly from El Salvador, Guate­mala and Honduras, gathering at the border.

Carr claimed that big business wanted a "constant supply of uneducated, illegal labour so they can keep wages low and perpetuate their attack on the American worker, our dreams and our way of life".

Obama was "a tyrant in the White House", he added, and "if you expect me to go to Washington DC and hold hands around the campfire, roast marshmallows and sing Kumbaya, you’re sending the wrong guy — I’m going up there to start a fight".

more:

[/break1]realclearpolitics.com/articles/2014/07/28/laura_ingraham_tea_party_giant_killer_eyes_her_next_scalp_123477.html#.U9bTOjUwQ4I.twitter]http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articl ... 4I.twitter

Carr pays two daughters to work on Senate campaign

Scott Broden, The Daily News Journal 1:44 p.m. CDT July 29, 2014

MURFREESBORO – U.S. Senate candidate Joe Carr of Lascassas pays his daughters Maddie and Erin a combined $6,500 monthly to be campaign workers, he confirmed.

“I’m proud to have both of them on the campaign,” Carr said during a Tuesday phone interview. “They do a great job. Both of my daughters are underpaid to do the job they do and the hours they work and the skill sets they bring. My daughters are working 10 to 12 hours per day.”

“The campaign does not employ any of Sen. Alexander’s family,” said campaign spokesman Brian Reisinger, who had no comment to offer about Carr hiring two daughters.

[/break1]dnj.com/story/news/2014/07/29/joe-carr-pays-daughters-senate-campaign-workers/13322813/]http://www.dnj.com/story/news/2014/07/2 ... /13322813/

Meet Joe Carr, the Last Tea Party Senate Challenger of 2014

By David Weigel

A few thousand votes in Mississippi have, for now, prevented this from being the third consecutive year of Tea Party upsets. The hardy activists of Virginia's 7th District took down Rep. Eric Cantor; the swollen movement that declares this or that race a "target," then does not win it, did not even play in VA-07.

No surprise, then, that this year's last remaining challengers have called themselves the true heirs of Bratmentum. Tennessee state Rep. Joe Carr is the most optimistic of the remainders, and he's been all Brat all the time in discussing his race against Sen. Lamar Alexander. The day after the Brat win, Carr appeared on CNBC as "the next Dave Brat" (question mark essential). "No race should be taken for granted," he crowed in a statement, "and all the money and position in the world doesn't resonate with an electorate that is fed up with a Washington establishment that has abandoned conservative principles." A day later, Tea Party Nation founder Judson Phillips, whose ability to get quoted has only slightly faded in the four years since he organized the only National Tea Party Convention, pronounced Carr the "next Dave Brat." And the Bratification has hardly stopped:

snipped video.

One thing Carr learned from the Brat race: The GOP base is more irritable about immigration reform than anyone admits. And unlike Cantor, Alexander actually voted for the Senate's immigration bill. Off to the ad-maker's shop he went:

snipped video.

remainder:

[/break1]slate.com/blogs/weigel/2014/07/14/meet_joe_carr_the_last_tea_party_senate_challenger_of_2014.html]http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2014/ ... _2014.html

So idunno. Whoda thunk Brat would beat Cantor?

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:42 pm

Republican Lamar Alexander became the latest U.S. senator to fend off a tea party challenge in a primary race Thursday, defeating a state senator who had used a familiar tactic in trying to cast him as an out of touch insider.Alexander's win dealt another blow to national tea party momentum after the stunning primary win over Republican Rep. Eric Cantor in Virginia in June.In Tennessee, State Sen. Joe Carr had high-profile endorsements from tea party-allied figures, but he could not overcome Alexander's fundraising advantage and 40 years in Tennessee politics. He had about 38 percent of the vote with 24 percent of precincts reporting, compared with about 52 percent for Alexander.[/break1]ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_TENNESSEE_PRIMARY?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-08-07-22-02-33]http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/ ... 7-22-02-33

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:59 pm

All of which makes the Cantor defeat more delicious. The Tea Party is not dead but it has lost a lot of its allure and a lot of people have felt the ill effects of the obstuctionists as government funding for local projects/programs has shrunk or disappeared.I think a lot of talking heads and pundits misread the Cantor defeat and made too much of the immigration issue as a factor.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:21 am

Yabbut, what's Lamar's position on the Madisonville Hoax and the persecution of our favorite Rocky Top Birfoon?

Welcome, seeker! (There's a seeker born every minute.)

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:19 pm

For completeness, as a certain greenie often says:

United States Senate

Republican Primary

Lamar Alexander - Republican 330,383

Joe Carr - Republican 270,235

George Shea Flinn - Republican 34,591

Christian Agnew - Republican 11,224

Brenda S. Lenard - Republican 7,875

John D. King - Republican 7,732

Erin Kent Magee - Republican 3,350|Democratic Primary

Gordon Ball - Democratic 87,338

Terry Adams - Democratic 85,335

Gary Gene Davis - Democratic 42,313

Larry Crim - Democratic 24,661

[/break1]elections.tn.gov/ussenate.htm]http://www.elections.tn.gov/ussenate.htm

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:33 pm

Ladies and gentlemen, the Democratic nominee for Governor of the US Senate from Tennessee!Asked Friday why he’s running, [Charles V Charlie] Brown said, “After what we’ve been through these last four years, somebody needs to.” He said he wants to reverse Haslam’s decisions to overhaul teacher tenure and take civil service protections away from other state employees. He also wants to “put the Bible back in school.”

“I under stand that the governor has reinstated the electric chair to take care of the prison on death row,” he wrote in a letter that he says he sent to almost every newspaper in the state. “After what he has done to my friends in knox county, I would like to strap his butt to the chair and give him about half the jolt.”

Brown’s nomination reinforces the troubles of the Tennessee Democratic Party, which has a limited “bench” of state-level candidates [understatement of the month], none of them willing to take on the wealthy, popular Haslam as he seeks a second term.

“I’m a redneck hillbilly, and I want to put this state first,” he volunteered. “I want to put Tennessee up front.”

[/break1]tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2014/08/08/charlie-brown-democrats-find-another-character/13802871/]http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/po ... /13802871/The above linked article has a nice photo of Brown plus some fish he caught.

We laughed at Delaware (The Witch) and Nevada (Sharron Angle); now it's the Republicans' turn.

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:50 pm

Link didn't work for me. here are a couple others:weigel:[/break1]slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2014/08/charlie_brown_democratic_candidate_for_tennessee_governor_the_72_year_old.html]http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... r_old.htmlmojo:[/break1]motherjones.com/mojo/2014/08/charlie-brown-bill-haslam-tennessee]http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2014/08 ... -tennesseeoh well.

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:01 am

It's a shame you can't see the photo. Charlie Brown reminds me of Leonard "Fist n' Cuffs" McCauley.http://www.thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopi ... 19#p396419

Paul Lentz

Post by Paul Lentz » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:38 pm

Ladies and gentlemen, the Democratic nominee for the US Senate from Tennessee!Asked Friday why he’s running, [Charles V Charlie] Brown said, “After what we’ve been through these last four years, somebody needs to.” He said he wants to reverse Haslam’s decisions to overhaul teacher tenure and take civil service protections away from other state employees. He also wants to “put the Bible back in school.”

“I under stand that the governor has reinstated the electric chair to take care of the prison on death row,” he wrote in a letter that he says he sent to almost every newspaper in the state. “After what he has done to my friends in knox county, I would like to strap his butt to the chair and give him about half the jolt.”

Brown’s nomination reinforces the troubles of the Tennessee Democratic Party, which has a limited “bench” of state-level candidates [understatement of the month], none of them willing to take on the wealthy, popular Haslam as he seeks a second term.

“I’m a redneck hillbilly, and I want to put this state first,” he volunteered. “I want to put Tennessee up front.”

[/break1]tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2014/08/08/charlie-brown-democrats-find-another-character/13802871/]http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/po ... /13802871/The above linked article has a nice photo of Brown plus some fish he caught.

We laughed at Delaware (The Witch) and Nevada (Sharron Angle); now it's the Republicans' turn.Just a quick correction: Charlie Brown is not the democratic nominee for the U.S. Senate (opposing Lamar Alexander). Charlie Brown is the democratic party nominee for Governor of Tennessee, opposing incumbent governor Haslam.

The love of power will not win over the power of love.
Orlando, Florida 6/12/16

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:59 pm

:oops:

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:42 pm

Yeah, Joe Ruby made a mistake. He's also an absolutely invaluable resource in keeping this forum properly organized, if you only knew. Like Addy, like mimi, like :sterngard:, like the greenies, like so many, many, many people here, he makes a HUGE contribution. We'll let him off with a warning this time. :lol:

Paul Lentz

Post by Paul Lentz » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:23 pm

Yeah, Joe Ruby made a mistake. He's also an absolutely invaluable resource in keeping this forum properly organized, if you only knew. Like Addy, like mimi, like :sterngard:, like the greenies, like so many, many, many people here, he makes a HUGE contribution. We'll let him off with a warning this time. :lol:Agreed. And I apologize if it appeared that I was criticizing Joe, for that was not my intent.

The love of power will not win over the power of love.
Orlando, Florida 6/12/16

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:11 am

Off Topic
You make a huge contribution here too, polenta, er, I mean Paul Lentz. :hug:

Behind the curtain, at least two or three times a week Joe Ruby sends me PMs with helpful suggestions about how to reorganize the forum, about posts in the wrong place, about duplicate posts I may have missed, etc. etc.

He'd be a pain in the ass if his suggestions weren't so good. It's really rare that I read one of them and think no, that's not a great idea. He has made me somewhat lazy about checking on things on the forum, because I know if anything's wrong he's going to tell me about it and save me a lot of valuable time.

Speaking of which, I don't have time to thank everyone here for their contributions, and I apologize if I didn't list you above. I thank EVERYONE for being a part of this incredible community. It's a privilege just to be part of the group.

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:16 pm

Agreed. And I apologize if it appeared that I was criticizing Joe, for that was not my intent.I read your post as merely pointing out a mistake was made. I used the :oops: smilie because as Foggy later wrote I've notified him on several occasions where I thought someone's post was more applicable in a different thread.

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:54 pm

Tennessee teabaggers will likely have 6 more years trying to figure out how to get rid of Sen Alexander.[/break1]photobucket.com/user/Joseph_Robidoux_III/media/Politics/2014%20Elections/2014%20US%20Senate/Tennessee/USSenateTN2014-08-14_zpscc855e64.jpg.html]http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n63 ... 855e64.jpg[/break1]realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2014/senate/tn/tennessee_senate_alexander_vs_ball-5032.html]http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls ... -5032.html

Return to “U.S. Senate”