2014 US Senate: Maine

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:12 am

A Stuart Rothenberg article describing why defeating Sen Collins will be difficult for Democrats.

Maine’s political landscape certainly doesn’t favor Collins, who is the only Republican senator seeking re-election this cycle from that state. Obama won the state by just more than 15 points in 2102 and by more than 17 points four years earlier.

In 2008, a bad year for Republicans, Collins absolutely destroyed her Democratic opponent, then-Rep. Tom Allen, a popular former Portland mayor, by more than 22 percentage points.

In that election, according to the Maine Senate exit poll, Collins won 63 percent of men and 59 percent of women. She won all age groups, income categories and education categories. She won a third of Democrats, two-thirds of independents and a majority of those who said they disapproved of the way George W. Bush was handling his job. She also won 58 percent of those voters in Allen’s congressional district.

And perhaps most stunningly, Collins won 40 percent of those Maine voters who said that they voted for Obama for president.

[/break1]rollcall.com/rothenblog/why-isnt-maines-susan-collins-vulnerable/]http://blogs.rollcall.com/rothenblog/wh ... ulnerable/The article also mentioned a [/break1]publicpolicypolling.com/main/2013/01/collins-strong-for-re-election.html#more]Public Policy Polling survey showing Collins with a 65% [believe they meant 63%] approval rating. Unless a Tea Party Republican somehow defeats Collins in a GOP primary (unlikely at present) Collins will probably be a prohibitive favorite to win re-election. The PPP survey results show Collins safely ahead of several Maine Democrats.

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:26 pm

Political consultant Erick Bennett was challenging Snowden in Republican primary.

"I Will Kill You": Read the Police Report in Maine GOPer's Domestic Assault Case

Here are the details of Erick Bennett's 2004 assault arrest and conviction.

—By Erika Eichelberger

| Fri Jan. 24, 2014 3:00 AM GMT

http://mjcdn.motherjones.com/preset_51/ ... ds_630.png

police report:

On Friday night, January 16, 2004, in the evening, my husband Erick Matthew Bennett assaulted me repeatedly while we were at the [REDACTED]. He did this in front of our [REDACTED]. [REDACTED] witnessed the entire assaults. First, Erick's friend [REDACTED] had called to invite Erick and [REDACTED] to watch football the Sunday coming. I asked why [REDACTED] never invited all of us, since [REDACTED] was also married and I got along with [REDACTED]. He stated, "Because [REDACTED] doesn't like you." I asked why. And he said "because he thinks you're irrational." I said he shouldn't say those things in front of [REDACTED] and I also said that [REDACTED] hardly knows me and I don't want [REDACTED] around someone who says he doesn't like me. Erick got off the bed, put both hands around my neck, squeezed my neck and said "Leave me alone." A little later we were laying on separate beds. He was reading a Flex magazine. I said I would like to have the check my [REDACTED] sent (to help us because of our house fire 1/9) so I could start a savings account for us in the morning. I was feeling extremely nervous because he had squeezed my neck a little earlier. He got up as if to go to his coat to get the check but instead turned around toward the bed and I just knew we was gonna come after me so I got up to head for the bathroom saying, "Please Erick I'm sorry" but he grabbed me and got me on the floor and pressed me down. Then he started saying "What are you doing? Sit still? Why are you doing this?" As if I was fighting back and he needed to defend himself. At times when I could turn my head I could see him looking over at [REDACTED] to see if he was watching. The [REDACTED] were really upset [ILLEGIBLE] the ground. He pushed my head into the floor and held it there. Finally somehow he stopped and said, "Sit on the bed, I just want to talk to you." Then he poked me in the head and said in a mean tone "Why do you do this?" I didn't answer. He clapped both his hands over my ears. I knew I couldn't argue with him or he would hurt me worse. This isn't the 1st time he has hurt me. He tries to find excuses to hurt me. Fighting back makes him say I am the crazy one and he has to defend himself. So I didn't argue or fight back at all. At one point our [REDACTED] came close and held [REDACTED] on the bed but Erick wouldn't stop. He hit me in the head again and again blaming me for everything. He smacked me upside the head and I was terrified. I even ran out of the room into the cold with the [REDACTED] but it was 30 below that night and the office was over across the way and I was so terrified I went back in. He then said "See [REDACTED] so crazy." Yet he was so calm. I could see he was in control of everything. He knew what he was doing and then telling the [REDACTED] I need meds. I stayed another week. He acted as if nothing happened. The day after I said "I am so sore." His response was "Are you getting the flu?" (!) I left when he told me Friday 1/23/04 that he would "kill me" if I kept "running my mouth." "I will kill you—I hate your f____n guts." I am too terrified to even set foot in [REDACTED].More about that at the link.

There are other issues as well. At the link:

[/break1]motherjones.com/politics/2014/01/maine-republican-senate-erick-bennett-court-documents]http://www.motherjones.com/politics/201 ... -documents

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:35 pm

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n63 ... lHopefully Sen Collins will announce her retirement in about 5 years. Until then however Tea Baggers can piss and moan how Sen Collins sides with the Democrats too often.

SPen

Post by SPen » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:19 pm

She's already gone far beyond her "pledge" to only serve 2 terms, had she kept it she would have retired prior to the 2008 election. And unfortunately she's not an actual moderate like her former colleague Olympia Snowe was. She's a reliable Republican vote for everything other than cloture for different judicial nominations.

Return to “U.S. Senate”