US Senate: Montana

ducktape

Post by ducktape » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:04 pm

Dumbass!!! In this day of Google and easily searchable databases, why anyone thinks they can get away with blatant plagiarism is beyond me. I think that alone would disqualify him, and the "you have to understand, I was going through a difficult time" makes it worse. The correct answer is "yes sir, no excuse sir."

SPen

Post by SPen » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:01 pm

It will be extremely difficult to come back from this. Walsh was making a serious improvement over the last couple of months in making this a single-digit race but it'll be hard to navigate these headlines. He'll need something else to pop up to change the story.

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:04 pm

Yeah, like something on Daines. :-?

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:12 am

#-o ?(

Mr. William L. Bryan is the root of a great deal of criminal mischief.
And yet, Mr. Bryan remains at large. :mrgreen:

JSL515

Post by JSL515 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:50 pm

A friend who is a War College grad and solid democrat is livid. He says the Army War College was adamant about the consequences of unethical behavior, to include plagiarism. Rescission of diplomas and they take a grinder to your name on the class plaque. He said that when he visited there a few years ago and saw his class plaque, about five names had been ground off.

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:47 pm

Sen. John Walsh of Montana on Tuesday postponed at least two upcoming events as his campaign declined to answer questions about whether he planned to remain in the U.S. Senate race amid allegations that he plagiarized a research paper.The Walsh campaign notified Gallatin County Democratic party members that he would not attend a backyard meet-and-greet in Bozeman hosted by Women for Walsh that was scheduled for Wednesday or a Friday talk on public lands at the county party's new headquarters.The campaign did not give a reason why, said Billy McWilliams, a member of the Gallatin County Democrats' executive committee."Nobody's talking," McWilliams told The Associated Press. "It happened pretty quick this morning."[/break1]ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_SENATE_MONTANA?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-08-05-22-05-58]http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/ ... 5-22-05-58 -xx

SPen

Post by SPen » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:01 am

Nancy Keenan is being rumored to be the replacement if Walsh indeed does drop out. I'm not sure how that really effects the chances the Democrats have of holding this seat.

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:27 pm

Nancy Keenan is being rumored to be the replacement if Walsh indeed does drop out. I'm not sure how that really effects the chances the Democrats have of holding this seat.[/break1]wikipedia.org/wiki/Nancy_Keenan]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nancy_KeenanAt least she has name recognition there and has held elected office in the state.It would be interesting to have her in the Senate.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:28 pm

:wave:

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:43 pm

If Walsh takes himself out of the running, here's how the Dems select a replacement:... the steps they would take if Walsh decides to withdraw.According to party rules, the Democrats would hold a nominating convention to select a replacement. Convention delegates would include county party committee leaders, party executive board members and statewide and federally elected officials — about 175 people, Watt said.They would gather to nominate potential replacements and hold rounds of balloting until one person received a majority of the votes.The Montana Secretary of State deadline for submitting a replacement candidate is Aug. 20.[/break1]sfgate.com/news/politics/article/Montana-senator-mum-on-whether-he-s-leaving-race-5672103.php]http://www.sfgate.com/news/politics/art ... 672103.php

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Post by Dr. Kenneth Noisewater » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:00 pm

Schweitzer should have jumped in this after he did the original polling. Still pissed about that.

SPen

Post by SPen » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:14 am

Schweitzer should have jumped in this after he did the original polling. Still pissed about that.He is just not a team player, he isn't interested in a job where he's 1 of 100. I think the decision to pass might have killed his career, too, because it's both kept him out of the spotlight and it left him without a spot. Plus he pissed off a great deal of people who knew beforehand that this seat would be almost impossible to hold and who were looking to him because he would probably make it a tossup or better.Schweitzer is delusional and still thinks he can credibly run for president, so he probably wanted to completely remove the possibility that he would lose a major election before he attempted that run. But it killed his connection to the party, everyone is pissed off at his decision to pass.

mimi

Post by mimi » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:32 pm

Walsh drops out of U.S. Senate race

By CHARLES S. JOHNSON Gazette State Bureau (No, he's not that chuck johnson.)

SNIP

Walsh will serve out the rest of his Senate term, which ends in early January 2015.

“I am ending my campaign so that I can focus on fulfilling the responsibility entrusted to me as your U.S. senator,” Walsh said in a statement to supporters. “You deserve someone who will always fight for Montana, and I will.”

The Montana Democratic Party now will choose a replacement for Walsh to appear on the Nov. 4 ballot, along with Republican Rep. Steve Daines and Libertarian Roger Roots.

The party has to select a new Senate candidate at a nominating convention by Aug. 20. About 175 delegates, including statewide and federal elected officials, county party committee leaders and the party executive board members, will pick the nominee.MORE:

[/break1]com/news/government-and-politics/walsh-drops-out-of-u-s-senate-race/article_44061fbc-fd60-583b-bc9b-61f41ebb49e0.html]http://billingsgazette.com/news/governm ... b49e0.html

SPen

Post by SPen » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:48 pm

There's also this, but it should read "associate" and not "aide."

[/break1]com/daveweigel/status/497493273267544065] ... 3267544065

Schweitzer aide @BobBrigham tells me “This is Schweitzer’s nomination now. Back to plan A.” #MTSen #gamechange #disruptLocal Democrats have been saying they can't get Schweitzer on the phone. No idea whether or not he's seriously considering jumping in or which way he's leaning. The Democrats NEED him to get into this race, which I imagine probably goes a long way into feeding his MASSIVE ego. He's the only candidate who could get in 3 months before Election Day and even make this a race. If he has any self-awareness whatsoever he should know by now that he has positively 0% chance of winning his party's nomination for president in 2016 and this is the only way he can both stay relevant and win back some good will after pissing off so many people last year.

Run, Schweitzer.

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:08 pm

F**k Schweitzer! Select anyone else.Schweitzer's always been a tease. I think he may have really harmed himself with this one though because many in the party don't appreciate him turning his back on the party when it needs him to step up and hold the seat.http://www.thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopi ... 297Capture a moose, name him Fred, then have you-know-who make Fred a fake Kenyan birth certificate that shows Fred is 30 years old plus born to an American moose who has multiple wives (go after the Mormon vote).

SPen

Post by SPen » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:26 pm

F**k Schweitzer! Select anyone else.Schweitzer's always been a tease. I think he may have really harmed himself with this one though because many in the party don't appreciate him turning his back on the party when it needs him to step up and hold the seat.http://www.thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopi ... 533297He's already taken himself out of the running:[/break1]com/brianschweitzer/status/497510349823033347]https://twitter.com/brianschweitzer/sta ... 9823033347They really needed him in this race though. When there's only 3 months to Election Day and you need someone to parachute in, Schweitzer was the ideal candidate even though he's a douchebag. He has the name recognition, could have raised enough money to be competitive, and would have gotten help from the DSCC and Senate Majority Pac that Walsh wasn't going to get. He could have made the race competitive whereas anyone else is going to have to hope that Daines says or does something historically stupid. We're talking something Akin-esque.Schweitzer on the other hand is done. His career is over. He will never again win an election in this country. The best he can hope for is that some Democrat occupying the Oval Office in 2016 is stupid enough to put him in the Cabinet.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:37 pm

Hillary Clinton ain't stupid, so Schweitzer can kiss his future career goodbye.

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:37 pm

It might be time for a little known Montana Democrat to step up and take one for the team.In 1988 US Sen John Danforth (R-MO) was running for re-election for his 3rd term. Danforth was a prohibitive favorite and all the well-known state Democrats decided to run for a different office or just sit it out. Jay Nixon, a state senator first elected in 1986, was asked to be the sacrificial lamb. Nixon agreed, campaigned hard then lost the general election to Danforth by approximately 2-1. State Democrats returned the favor by clearing the Democratic field for Nixon to run for Attorney General in 1992. Nixon won the general election and was Missouri's AG until he was elected Governor in 2008.

SPen

Post by SPen » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:34 pm

It might be time for a little known Montana Democrat to step up and take one for the team.In 1988 US Sen John Danforth (R-MO) was running for re-election for his 3rd term. Danforth was a prohibitive favorite and all the well-known state Democrats decided to run for a different office or just sit it out. Jay Nixon, a state senator first elected in 1986, was asked to be the sacrificial lamb. Nixon agreed, campaigned hard then lost the general election to Danforth by approximately 2-1. State Democrats returned the favor by clearing the Democratic field for Nixon to run for Attorney General in 1992. Nixon won the general election and was Missouri's AG until he was elected Governor in 2008.I have a bad feeling that they're just going to let Bohlinger have his shot, and he has every right to say "I told you so." People like Lindeen, McGrath, and Juneau are not going to step up when we're 90 days out from a midterm election in this climate. I would even be surprised if Schriock or Keenan agreed to jump into a race they're probably going to lose by 10-15 points.This sucks.

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:31 pm

Just a reminder:

The Montana Democratic Party today announce details of the Special Nominating Convention to select the Democratic nominee for U.S. Senate in the 2014 general election.

Saturday, August 16th, 9 a.m.

Lewis & Clark Co. Fairgrounds

98 West Custer Ave, Helena, MT

Doors and registration will open at 7:30 AM

[/break1]montanademocrats.org/node/524]http://www.montanademocrats.org/node/524The process and procedures for the nominating convention can be found [/break1]montanademocrats.org/node/522]here.The State Central Committee, as defined in the Montana Democratic Party Rules will nominate and select a candidate to be chosen at a special nominating convention to address the vacancy.

The State Central Committee consists of the following voting members: one chair and one vice chair from each existing county central committee; one state committeeman and one state committeewoman from each county central committee; all voting members of the State Party Executive Board; the president of each chartered organization of the Montana Democratic Party; and Democrats currently holding the positions of Lieutenant Governor, Clerk of the Supreme Court or Public Service Commissioner.

To clarify, the State Party Executive Board includes, among others, Montana State House leadership, and Montana State Senate leaders, and all Democrats currently holding statewide or federal office.

For all intents and purposes the State Central Committee’s voting delegates are our search and nominating committee.

[/break1]montanademocrats.org/node/522]http://www.montanademocrats.org/node/522Additional information, including a list of the convention delegates is available [/break1]montanademocrats.org/NominatingConvention]here. -xx

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:44 pm

More than 100 Democratic activists in Montana gathered in Helena on Saturday, where they nominated state Rep. Amanda Curtis for the U.S. Senate at a hastily arranged convention. She will face Rep. Steve Daines, the Republican nominee and front-runner.So exactly why did Montana Democrats do this after they already held a primary in June? And how did it all work? We're glad you asked! Below is everything you need to know.[/break1]washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2014/08/16/montana-democrats-will-pick-a-new-senate-candidate-today-heres-how-it-all-works/]http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/pos ... all-works/More at the link.

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:53 pm

Additional info on state Rep Amanda Curtis along with a photo of the new US Senate candidate.[/break1]newsobserver.com/2014/08/16/4075754/montana-democrats-to-choose-new.html]http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/08/16/ ... e-new.html

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:22 pm

Ladies and gentlemen, grab your cigars. You re about to pick the next loser of a Senate race in Montana in a smoke-filled room.

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:10 pm

I realized months ago South Dakota would likely be won by a Republican. It appears unless something drastic happens I can add Montana to the same list; blue seat flipped red.

[/break1]photobucket.com/user/Joseph_Robidoux_III/media/Politics/2014%20Elections/2014%20US%20Senate/Montana/USSenateMT2014-06-12a_zps23e14c93.jpg.html]http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n63 ... e14c93.jpg

[/break1]photobucket.com/user/Joseph_Robidoux_III/media/Politics/2014%20Elections/2014%20US%20Senate/Montana/USSenateMT2014-06-12b_zpsecee81ca.jpg.html]http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n63 ... ee81ca.jpg

[/break1]realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2014/senate/mt/montana_senate_daines_vs_walsh-4190.html]http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls ... -4190.htmlIt's a whole new ballgame!

[/break1]photobucket.com/user/Joseph_Robidoux_III/media/Politics/2014%20Elections/2014%20US%20Senate/Montana/USSenateMT2014-08-24_zpsd72f4c2e.jpg.html]http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n63 ... 2f4c2e.jpg

[/break1]realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2014/senate/mt/montana_senate_daines_vs_curtis-5190.html]http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls ... -5190.html

Actually it looks like there was a short rain delay and we continue approximately where we left off.

Return to “U.S. Senate”