2014 US Senate: Iowa

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:59 am

Sen Harkin's retirement announcement will create very interesting primary campaigns for both Democrats and Republicans. The Des Moines Register is calling Congressman Tom Latham (R-IA 03) and Congressman Bruce Braley (D-IA 01) the favorites at present.{C}http://www.desmoinesregister.com/articl ... 007/NEWS05{C}Congressman Steve King (R-IA 04), Gov Terry Branstad and Iowa's version of Harold Stassen (at the statewide level), Bob Vander Plaats, shouldn't be ruled out this early. King's presence in a 3+ person race could cause a lot of grief for a sane conservative. Branstad's presence could assist an idiot (King). Vander Plaats entry means just another name on the ballot.There was no mention of Congressman David Loebsack (D-IA 02) expressing interest in Harkin's seat. However if Sen Grassley announces he won't run in 2016 we could get a repeat.http://www.house.gov/representatives/#state_id

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:59 am

A statement from Congressman Bruce Braley's office.Rep. Bruce Braley on Sunday publicly acknowledged his interest in running to succeed retiring Democratic Sen. Tom Harkin in 2014.“Over the past 24 hours, I’ve been overwhelmed by the outpouring of encouragement and support from Iowans in every corner of the state urging me to consider a campaign for the U.S. Senate in 2014,” the Democrat said in a statement released by his office. “Iowans deserve a Senator who will continue Tom Harkin’s legacy of strengthening the middle class and standing up for Iowans who don’t have a voice. While Senator Harkin’s shoes are impossible to fill, over the coming days my family and I will carefully weigh a possible candidacy for Senate.”[/break1]rollcall.com/iowa-braley-to-explore-senate-bid-for-harkins-seat/]http://atr.rollcall.com/iowa-braley-to- ... kins-seat/Former Iowa Gov and current US Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack, in addition to Congressman David Loebsack, probably should be considered potential candidates.

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:04 am

here was no mention of Congressman David Loebsack (D-IA 02) expressing interest in Harkin's seat. However if Sen Grassley announces he won't run in 2016 we could get a repeat. {SMILIES_PATH}/pray.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/pray.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/pray.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/pray.gif

“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:24 pm

The Des Moines Register reported Jan 26 that Congressman Tom Latham (R-IA 03) was the early GOP favorite (see OP). Roll Call wrote Feb 1 that Congressman Steve King (R-IA 04) lead in a poll by Harper Polling.

King led Latham in a two-way and multi-candidate GOP primary matchup, one that has the potential to become ideologically driven. However, Latham was the only Republican who led Democratic Rep. Bruce Braley in a hypothetical general election matchup to replace retiring Democratic Sen. Tom Harkin. Latham led Braley by 3 points, while King trailed him by 5 points.

In a two-way GOP primary, King led Latham 46 percent to 29 percent. In a race with Latham, conservative activist Bob Vander Plaats and two others, King’s edge shrinks significantly. In that scenario, King led with 31 percent, followed by Latham with 26 percent and Vander Plaats with 16 percent.

In the Democratic primary, Braley appears to be the only candidate with any significant level of name identification. He led with 50 percent, followed by two others with less than 4 percent support and about 43 percent of those polled not sure.

The autodial poll of 523 likely voters was conducted on Jan. 29 with a 4.3-point margin of error.

[/break1]rollcall.com/iowa-king-has-early-primary-edge-over-latham/]http://atr.rollcall.com/iowa-king-has-e ... er-latham/Iowa conservatives could make their US Senate race appear very similar to Indiana's 2012 Senate campaign where a right wing nut case gift wraps a US Senate seat to Democrats. King has the ability to make Indiana's Richard Mourdock and Missouri's Todd Akin appear quite sane.

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:28 pm

Congressman Bruce Braley sent an e-mail to supporters notifying them about his decision to form an exploratory committee.Date: Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 9:29 AMSubject: A Big Step ForwardI want you to be the first to know.It’s a big responsibility to represent the people of Iowa in the United States Senate, especially after Tom Harkin has shown us how for the last 30 years. But, if you are willing to help me, I’m ready to go.That’s why today, I’m setting up a committee to run for the U.S. Senate.His formal announcement will come later, but today he is setting up a committee to run for the U.S. Senate – a big step forward, said Jeff Link, Braley’s senior adviser. Filing the paperwork will mean Braley can begin to raise money for a Senate campaign.[/break1]desmoinesregister.com/dmr/index.php/2013/02/07/bruce-braley-will-run-for-harkins-senate-seat/article?nclick_check=1]http://blogs.desmoinesregister.com/dmr/ ... ck_check=1

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:23 pm

The biggest donors in the Republican Party are financing a new group to recruit seasoned candidates and protect Senate incumbents from challenges by far-right conservatives and Tea Party enthusiasts who Republican leaders worry could complicate the party’s efforts to win control of the Senate.

[/break1]nytimes.com/2013/02/03/us/politics/top-gop-donors-seek-greater-say-in-senate-races.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&ref=politics&]http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/03/us/po ... =politics&Guess who figured out he's in their crosshairs (NADT).

Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa) is hitting back against American Crossroads President Steven Law in a new fundraising e-mail, declaring: “Nobody can bully me out of running for Senate.”

King, a deeply conservative congressman with a tendency to make controversial utterances [that's a polite way of saying he's nucking futs], has come under scrutiny from Republican strategists who worry he will make a bid for retiring Democratic Sen. Tom Harkin’s seat.

“We’re concerned about Steve King’s Todd Akin problem,” Law told the New York Times in a story published over the weekend. Law is leading a new effort to recruit electable GOP Senate candidates and protect them from the ones viewed as less electable.

[/break1]washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2013/02/07/steve-king-nobody-can-bully-me-out-of-running-for-senate/]http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/pos ... or-senate/I believe I'm going to enjoy the Republican v Republican battles during the 2014 campaign season. -xx

Representative Steve King, a six-term Iowa Republican, could be among the earliest targets of the Conservative Victory Project. He said he had not decided whether he would run for the Senate, but the leaders of the project in Washington are not waiting to try to steer him away from the race.

“We’re concerned about Steve King’s Todd Akin problem,” Mr. Law said. “This is an example of candidate discipline and how it would play in a general election. All of the things he’s said are going to be hung around his neck.”

[/break1]nytimes.com/2013/02/03/us/politics/top-gop-donors-seek-greater-say-in-senate-races.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&ref=politics&]http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/03/us/po ... =politics&King will not quietly drop out of the race. This should be entertaining even if King decides to run for re-election to his House seat. The bad news is King will probably get a second chance to run for the Senate in 2016. I believe it's a good bet Sen Grassley will retire.

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:00 am

Another poll with Congressman Steve King leading Congressman Tom Latham among Iowa Republicans.Steve King is the overwhelming favorite of Iowa Republicans to be their Senate candidate next year...and trails every Democratic candidate we tested against him by at least 7 points. It's the story of the last two election cycles for Senate Republicans. King's substantial lead over Latham has a lot to do with his appeal to 'very conservative' voters- they prefer him by a 61/19 margin. But even with moderates King edges Latham 37/35. And it's not really about name recognition- the 75% of primary voters familiar with King is only a little more than the 64% who know Latham.The problem for Republicans is that King would start out at a significant disadvantage in a general election. The most likely Democratic candidate, Bruce Braley, would start out 11 points ahead of King at 49/38. The three other Democrats we looked at lead King by substantial margins as well- Tom Vilsack would lead King 49/39, Chet Culver would lead 48/41, and Dave Loebsack would lead 47/40.[/break1]publicpolicypolling.com/main/2013/02/dems-start-out-ahead-in-iowa-senate-election.html#more]http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main ... .html#moreIt has become obvious to me why Loh voted for Sen Lugar in the Indiana primary. If I lived in Iowa, I wouldn't care how bad the polls said King would lose to the Democrat in the general election. I would be scared shitless if I thought there was a chance King could become one of my state's US Senators.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Post by Dr. Kenneth Noisewater » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:21 pm

The way its looking now if the Republicans go with King for Senate they're going to lose the chance at a pickup. Braley is polling way ahead of King right now

Piffle

Post by Piffle » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:54 pm

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

RUN, STEVE, RUN!!

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:34 am

Republicans continue to argue about whether the party needs to take steps to prevent the next Christine O’Donnell, Sharron Angle, Todd Akin and Ken Buck, as well as how it might do so.Those inept and seriously flawed candidates lost races that other Republicans would have won easily.[/break1]rollcall.com/news/rothenberg_in_gop_civil_war_no_easy_answers-222501-1.html?pos=hftxt]http://www.rollcall.com/news/rothenberg ... ?pos=hftxtThree guesses whose picture is used in this Stuart Rothenberg article about Karl Rove's Conservative Victory Project.

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:10 am

It appears there will not be a contested Democratic primary campaign for the US Senate seat presently held by Sen Harkin.Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack, the former governor of Iowa, will not seek the Democratic nomination for Senate, a Democratic source confirmed to CQ Roll Call.His decision means Rep. Bruce Braley, D-Iowa, cleared a major hurdle for his party’s nod.[/break1]rollcall.com/iowa-vilsack-not-running-for-senate/]http://atr.rollcall.com/iowa-vilsack-no ... or-senate/

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:48 pm

It appears Piffle may get his wish! Congressman Tom Latham will not run for the US Senate seat presently held by Sen Tom Harkin.

Iowa Congressman Tom Latham, who had been considered the establishment Republican choice for the U.S. Senate seat being vacated next year by retiring Democrat Tom Harkin, announced Wednesday that he won’t seek the job.

He faced considerable pressure to run from throughout the Iowa Republican establishment, including Iowa Gov. Terry Branstad. Latham, a soft-spoken former businessman, had represented more than half of Iowa’s counties during nearly 20 years in Congress and was considered a good fundraising match for Democratic Rep. Bruce Braley.

[/break1]newtondailynews.com/2013/02/28/rep-latham-to-pass-on-iowa-senate-bid/a92c5zy/]http://www.newtondailynews.com/2013/02/ ... d/a92c5zy/Gov Branstad's comment suggesting Congressman Steve King concentrate on building a winning state-wide strategy for the 2016 US Senate race is not surprising.

Trying to foster an organized process for Republicans, Iowa Gov. Terry Branstad had urged Latham this month during a private meeting at the governor’s mansion in Des Moines to seek the nomination. Branstad, who also met with King privately, said he urged King to develop more of a statewide network and consider running in 2016, should Republican Sen. Charles Grassley decide against running for a sixth term [Now where have I heard that before?].Branstad is running for re-election in 2014 and doesn't want to see Congressman King's name at the top of the ballot. Gee, I wonder why? :-k

He [Gov Branstad] also is urging Lt. Gov. Kim Reynolds, a loyal Branstad protege, to consider seeking the GOP Senate nomination.

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:44 pm

Congressman King (R-IA 04) sounds like someone who wants a bigger stage to perform on.

Rep. Steve King, R-Kiron, spoke Saturday at two GOP events, testing the waters in Democratic-leaning Eastern Iowa as he inches closer to a decision on a run for U.S. Senate.

King declined to reveal an exact timetable for his decision, but party insiders expect a decision by May 1. King will face another round of scrutiny April 15 when he must file his next campaign finance report.

King has talked with Iowa Lt. Gov. Kim Reynolds and Iowa Secretary of Agriculture Bill Northey about the race, and both have given King the first right of refusal.

“Over the past week, I can now see a path to victory. I can see how to get there,” he [King] said. “Without that data, it was just conjecture.”

[/break1]com/2013/king-eastern-iowa/]http://theiowarepublican.com/2013/king-eastern-iowa/The Iowa Republican identifies itself as follows:

The Iowa Republican is Iowa’s leading source for political news and commentary. Founded in 2009 by Craig Robinson, TIR is part of the Washington Post’s political blog network.

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:44 pm

Congressman Steve King (R-IA 04) has one less potential US Senate Republican primary candidate.Lt. Governor Kim Reynolds announced Tuesday afternoon that she would not seek a run for the U.S. Senate. In an email to supporters of the Branstad campaign committee, Reynolds said she and Governor Branstad still have a lot of work to do in putting the state back on track and she wants to continue to devote her time there.[/break1]com/2013/reynolds-opts-not-to-run-for-u-s-senate/]http://theiowarepublican.com/2013/reyno ... -s-senate/The full e-mail is available at the above link.

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Fri May 03, 2013 10:15 pm

It's beginning to look as if Congressman Steve King may win the Iowa US Senate Republican primary by default. Another Iowa Republican announced he will not run for the office presently occupied by Sen Tom Harkin.

Another potential GOP candidate for Iowa’s open Senate seat has announced he will not run, leaving Republicans to continue their search for a strong prospect to run in this top pick-up opportunity.

Iowa Secretary of Agriculture Bill Northey became the second Republican in as many weeks to decide not to run.

Some Republicans are concerned about a potential King candidacy, arguing that his conservative politics do not have enough statewide appeal to win. [gee, I wonder why]

[/break1]rollcall.com/bill-northey-passes-on-iowa-race-iasen/]http://atr.rollcall.com/bill-northey-pa ... ace-iasen/King may have only 1 Republican left he has to worry about. Congresswoman Michele Bachmann spent a lot of time in Iowa last year informing residents that she was really an Iowan. I wonder if she would be interested in the job? :-k That would be a campaign worth following.

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Sat May 04, 2013 1:17 am

Congressman Steve King announces he will not run for the open US Senate seat.Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa) late Friday announced on Twitter that he would not run for Senate in 2014.“A Senate race takes me out of urgent battles in Congress that can't wait until 2015. Many thanks to all,” he tweeted.In April, King said he saw a "path to victory" if he ran and was "close" to making a decision.However, King said his polling showed any Republican faces an "uphill climb" to victory, — a hint he might not have been totally sold on a bid.[/break1]com/blogs/ballot-box/senate-races/297769-king-decides-against-iowa-senate-race]http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/sen ... enate-race

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Sat May 04, 2013 10:29 am

Interesting. I wonder if he is seeing some blowback in the polls

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Sat May 04, 2013 10:43 pm

Interesting. I wonder if he is seeing some blowback in the pollsIn addition to the polls Congressman King may have learned something from his fundraising efforts.King raised just $93,000 in total contributions during the first three months of the year, including only $78,000 from individuals. He ended the quarter with $90,000 in the bank. CQ Roll Call labeled him a “loser” among those whose first-quarter reports were worth monitoring.Bruce Braley, the prohibitive favorite for the Democratic Senate nomination next year, got off to a fast fundraising start this year. His Federal Election Commission report showed more than $856,000 raised during the quarter, ending March with just more than $1 million in the bank after transferring funds from his House committee.Iowa hasn’t had a truly competitive Senate race in years, but GOP Sen. Charles E. Grassley raised $5.7 million in turning back a 2010 challenge from unsuccessful 1982 Democratic gubernatorial nominee Roxanne Conlin, and Harkin raised more than $7 million in 2002, when then-Rep. Greg Ganske, a Republican, gave him a run for his money.[/break1]rollcall.com/rothenblog/steve-kings-cash-raises-eyebrows-doubts-about-senate-bid/]http://blogs.rollcall.com/rothenblog/st ... enate-bid/Iowa Gov Terry Brandstad's advice to King a couple of months ago turned out to be right.Branstad, who also met with King privately, said he urged King to develop more of a statewide network and consider running in 2016, should Republican Sen. Charles Grassley decide against running for a sixth term.[/break1]newtondailynews.com/2013/02/28/rep-latham-to-pass-on-iowa-senate-bid/a92c5zy/]http://www.newtondailynews.com/2013/02/ ... d/a92c5zy/http://www.thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopi ... 95#p480695

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Sat May 25, 2013 5:50 am

Surprise! A Republican will announce he is running for the US Senate seat presently held by Sen Tom Harkin (D-IA).

TheIowaRepublican.com has learned that David Young, Sen. Chuck Grassley’s Chief of Staff, has submitted his resignation and plans to officially enter Iowa’s U.S. Senate race sometime in June.

TheIowaRepublican.com has also learned that Young has already secured the key components for a statewide campaign. Sara Taylor Fagen, an Iowa native and former Director of the White House Office of Political Affairs and Deputy Assistant to President George W. Bush, will serve as his general consultant. Young’s pollster will be The Tarrance Group, of which Grassley has been a client for years and which has provided services for Congressman Tom Latham, Congressman Steve King, and former Congressman Greg Ganske.

Young’s media strategist also has a Grassley connection. Fred Davis, the creative mind behind the memorable ads that featured Grassley’s old Oldsmobile he drove around to all 99 county meetings and the contraption that allowed Grassley to pull additional push lawn mowers behind his John Deere riding mower, will now be in charge of marketing Young to voters. In Grassley’s 2010 re-election campaign, Davis produced an ad that featured two elderly women talking about Grassley’s Twitter like it was some sort of disease.

Davis may be best known for producing John McCain’s 2008 “celebrity” ad and Christine O’Donnell’s “I’m not a witch” spot, but he most recently served as Congressman Steve King’s ad man in his 2012 race against Christie Vilsack. Of all the media consultants out there, it’s safe to say that Davis is the most unique of them all.

[/break1]com/2013/grassley-chief-of-staff-david-young-set-to-enter-us-senate-race/]http://theiowarepublican.com/2013/grass ... nate-race/It's almost a shame Congressman Steve King is not running for the office with Fred Davis as his media strategist. Davis could have produced "I'm not an idiot" or "Occasionally I have something to say that is worth listening to". Oh well, you can't have everything in life.

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:45 pm

Surprise! A Republican will announce he is running for the US Senate seat presently held by Sen Tom Harkin (D-IA).

TheIowaRepublican.com has learned that David Young, Sen. Chuck Grassley’s Chief of Staff, has submitted his resignation and plans to officially enter Iowa’s U.S. Senate race sometime in June.Whoa! Change in plans

David Young ended his bid for the Republican nomination for the U.S. Senate on Thursday in order to seek the nomination for the now open Third District Congressional district.

Despite Young’s solid but unspectacular fundraising efforts and dedication to traveling all across the state, his campaign for the U.S. Senate was stuck in neutral and his prospects of winning the nomination against better funded candidates were diminishing.

[/break1]com/2014/young-ends-u-s-senate-campaign-to-seize-opportunity-in-iowas-third-congressional-district/]http://theiowarepublican.com/2014/young ... -district/The above was quoted from a publication that calls itself "Iowa's largest conservative news site".

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:49 pm

How they do it in Iowa.Rural Iowa's convoluted process of caucuses starts on Tuesday...In Iowa, local precinct caucuses will elect delegates to county caucuses. County caucuses then elect delegates to the state convention, which may then end up selecting the Republican nominee.In a non-presidential election year such as 2014, Iowa uses a quirky hybrid system. A June 3 primary determines the winner, but if no candidate wins more than 35 percent of the vote the Senate nominee will be selected at the convention. With a wide field of largely unknown candidates, observers do not expect anyone will get more than 35 percent.The last time a nominee for office was selected at a convention in Iowa was in 2002 when conservative and controversial Republican Steve King was chosen to run for a congressional seat. King is now serving his sixth term.[/break1]reuters.com/article/2014/01/21/us-usa-senate-iowa-idUSBREA0K1D920140121]http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/01/ ... D920140121Republican convention delegates tend to be more conservative than the electorate. That could help the only Teabagger seeking the nomination, former radio commentator Sam Clovis. Clovis describes himself as a "hard-nosed conservative".

JSL515

Post by JSL515 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:49 pm

Participated in the caucus last night. Cafeteria of the nearby high school. The Dems were the only one in the building last night, unlike 2012 when we had the cafeteria and the GOP was in the theater. Our incumbent attorney general, as well as our county attorney, both live in my district and were there. A former lieutenant governor not on the ballot was also present. Obviously, much lower turnout from two years ago when the President was on a live video feed to all Dem caucus sites. Talk about a pep rally! Set to start at seven, and the district leader got things rolling at around 7:15. He reads a letter from the state party chairman. Then the AG spoke followed by the County Attorney. The former LT GOV when asked to speak "yielded her time" to which chuckles were had.Then we met in our precinct groups. Our slate of candidates is pretty well set, so there were no issues on who would go to the County convention. About six of us sitting around talking about the candidates. My neighbors. So much more meaningful than marking bubbles on a sheet and feeding it to a reader. Home by 8:15.My real caucus story is from 2008 and was classic. Once the numbers of those present was established, the threshold number for each candidate to be "viable" was set. Then a part of the room for each candidate was set and we all divided up. I went that night not wild about any of the candidates, so I initially went to the area set for Bill Richardson. But we didn't have enough people to be viable and would have to align with another candidate. We were then wooed by the other groups to go for their candidate. The higher numbers they could attract, the more delegates they could send to the county convention for their candidate. I think I ended up in the Hillary group. Or maybe Edwards. Or maybe I did end up caucusing for Edwards, but now have selective memory. If I may be forgiven a Nazi reference only as example on Edwards and his legacy. Just as in it was hard to find someone to admit to Nazi party membership in 1945 defeated Germany, it is hard to find someone here who admits caucusing for Edwards. Got home later that night in time to see Candidate Obama making his victory speech. Wow. Prior to that in my mind, he was a dark skinned dude with a funny name and no chance at winning. That speech was all I needed. While I didn't caucus for him, I'm glad Iowa had a role in earning him the nomination and the general election win. For other speeches given the night of the Iowa caucuses, see 2004 and the Dean Scream. I didn't care so much about the scream, but the video shows him on stage with other luminaries, including Senator Tom Harkin. Dean gets on stage, takes off his suit coat, and hands it to Harkin. The look on Harkin's face is something short of overjoyed.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:44 am

Good report, and thanks. Know what you mean about Edwards. I was lucky -- by the time the primary rolled around here in NC, he was long gone. But I did support him in January '08.Like many, I thought Obama had no chance of winning before Iowa. That was the wake-up call of all wake-up calls. Before that I thought he was just a pretty face with no real experience. On my local forum, I wrote in Aug. '07 that I was ready for a black president, but I'd prefer Colin Powell. After Iowa, and after the next few primaries and caucuses, I came around to support the guy with the funny name. Live and learn.

In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

magdalen77

Post by magdalen77 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:57 am

Good report, and thanks. Know what you mean about Edwards. I was lucky -- by the time the primary rolled around here in NC, he was long gone. But I did support him in January '08.Like many, I thought Obama had no chance of winning before Iowa. That was the wake-up call of all wake-up calls. Before that I thought he was just a pretty face with no real experience. On my local forum, I wrote in Aug. '07 that I was ready for a black president, but I'd prefer Colin Powell. After Iowa, and after the next few primaries and caucuses, I came around to support the guy with the funny name. Live and learn.I was for Edwards to begin with as well. But, like you in NC, by the time the PA primary came around he was toast. Then I was for Hillary. I didn't support Obama until it became obvious that he was going to get the nomination. There was no way I was going to vote for McCain. My big thing against Obama was that he was too conservative (or maybe it's moderate, but to me that too dang conservative).

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:43 am

[/threadjack]

Iowa Republican candidates for US Senate as of Jan 30, 2014:

Sam Clovis (college professor and radio host)

Joni Ernst (state senator and commander in the Iowa National Guard)

Mark Jacobs (former Reliant Energy CEO)

Matt Whitaker (attorney)

[/break1]desmoinesregister.com/dmr/index.php/2014/01/30/gops-mark-jacobs-chips-in-521000-to-his-own-u-s-senate-race/article?nclick_check=1]http://blogs.desmoinesregister.com/dmr/ ... ck_check=1

Christian conservative activist and egomaniac Bob Vander Plaats (Iowa's version of Harold Stassen*) has stated he will announce this month if he is a candidate.

*Apologies to the late former Minnesota Governor Harold Stassen. Stassen, unlike Vander Plaats, actually won elective office. Vander Plaats just runs.

Return to “U.S. Senate”