2014 US Senate: Kentucky

SPen

Post by SPen » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:16 pm

The denial is pretty amusing from McConnell's campaign considering this survey changed very little from the previous PPP poll months ago that showed the race deadlocked as well. If they don't think this race is close then they're delusional.Every time a Republican spokesperson laughably tries to criticize a PPP poll they end up totally embarrassing themselves.

Roboe

Post by Roboe » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:45 pm

*snort* Here's something else Jesse Benton had to say:

McConnell Campaign Manager: ‘I’m Sorta Holding My Nose For Two Years’ (AUDIO)

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell's (R-KY) campaign manager said he's begrudgingly working in his current capacity to help the presidential prospects of Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY), according to an explosive phone recording that surfaced Thursday.

In the recording, obtained by Economic Policy Journal, Jesse Benton — who ran Paul's successful 2010 campaign before joining McConnell's team — told conservative activist Dennis Fusaro that he has an ulterior motive in working the GOP leader's 2014 campaign.

"Between you an me, I'm sorta holding my nose for two years," Benton said in the recording, "'cause what we're doing here is gonna be a big benefit to Rand in '16."[/break1]talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/mcconnell-campaign-manager-im-sorta-holding-my-nose]http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/e ... ng-my-nose

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:49 pm

=)) -xx

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

SPen

Post by SPen » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:57 pm

I'm hoping both Bevin and ALG call a lot of attention to this one.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:19 am

Ohboy, this is greatness :lol: "Between you an me, I'm sorta holding my nose for two years," Benton said in the recording, "'cause what we're doing here is gonna be a big benefit to Rand in '16."

¡Qué vergüenza!

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:00 pm

Ohboy, this is greatness :lol:

"Between you an me, I'm sorta holding my nose for two years," Benton said in the recording, "'cause what we're doing here is gonna be a big benefit to Rand in '16."McConnell Campaign Posts Photo Of Campaign Manager Holding His Nose

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/images/mit ... -stink.jpg

The McConnell campaign made light of the comment on its Facebook page Thursday afternoon, posting a photo of McConnell with Benton, who is holding his nose with the caption "LIKE if you agree: Nothing smells worse than ‪#‎Obamacare‬! ‪#‎NoseGate‬"[/break1]talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/mcconnell-campaign-posts-facebook-photo-making-light-of]http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/e ... g-light-of

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:30 am

Steven Greenhouse @greenhousenytWOW: Asked what "nondead" person he'd want to head Federal Reserve, Rand Paul says Milton Friedman (died in 2006). [/break1]businessweek.com/articles/2013-08-08/rand-paul-on-republicans-voter-appeal-and-the-federal-reserve]http://www.businessweek.com/articles/20 ... al-reservemore on that interview by Steve Benen:[/break1]msnbc.com/_news/2013/08/09/19948061-rand-pauls-terrible-horrible-no-good-very-bad-week?lite]http://maddowblog.msnbc.com/_news/2013/ ... -week?liteAnd Jon Chait"[/break1]com/daily/intelligencer/2013/08/rand-paul-not-so-good-with-numbers.html]http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... mbers.html

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:48 am

Interesting article from The Hill on why a Mitch McConnell primary loss would be bad news for Democrats.

Democrats have long despised Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell (Ky.), but they hope he wins his primary race against Matt Bevin because they view him as an easier opponent in 2014.

Democrats say they hope McConnell will get roughed up in the Kentucky GOP primary but survives because beating a fresh face like Bevin in the general election would be difficult.

[/break1]com/homenews/campaign/317491-democrats-for-once-are-rooting-for-mcconnell]http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/31 ... -mcconnellMatt Bevin is going to have a difficult time soliciting campaign donations. No person/firm in their right mind is going to want to deliberately piss off the minority leader of the Senate (which explains why RWNJs will readily donate cash). Bevin's campaign is likely to be heavily dependent upon assistance from PACs such as FreedomWorks, American Crossroads etc unless someone named Koch or Adelson enters the picture.

“It would be an absolute disaster for McConnell to lose in a primary instead of a general [election]. It would send the signal that McConnell is not conservative enough when the signal we need to send is that Kentucky voters don’t like obstruction,” said Adam Green, co-founder of Progressive Change Campaign Committee, which launched a new television ad in Kentucky this week hitting McConnell on Social Security.I don't recall ever hoping for a McConnell election victory; looks like another first for me.

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:29 am

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid is going to pull a Bill Frist.Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) is hosting a fundraiser for Alison Lundergan Grimes, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell's (R-Ky.) Democratic opponent.The move marks a shift for Reid, who late last year said he wouldn't campaign against McConnell because he didn't think it was "appropriate." Though McConnell pledged not to campaign against Reid during his 2010 race, he also shifted course and helped Reid's GOP opponent, Sharron Angle, raise money.In 2004, GOP Senate Leader Bill Frist (R-Tenn.) campaigned for John Thune (R-S.D.) against then-Democratic Leader Tom Daschle (D-S.D.).[/break1]com/blogs/ballot-box/senate-races/321925-reid-fundraising-for-mcconnell-opponent]http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/sen ... l-opponentPrior to the 2004 Daschle-Thune Senate race it had been standard practice for years for the Senate Majority and Minority Leaders not to campaign directly against the other. Frist not only participated in fundraising events for Thune but went to South Dakota multiple times and shared the stage with Thune at several campaign events.

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:56 pm

A Tea Party group has dropped its endorsement of Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), citing criticism he reportedly made of conservative groups that has put him in their crosshairs for 2014. Tea Party Nation (TPN) had previously defended its endorsement of McConnell, despite the fact that the senator has a conservative primary challenger, Matt Bevin, who is supported by local Tea Party groups.In dropping its endorsement, TPN cited a report from conservative commentator Glenn Beck that McConnell suggested during a closed-door meeting of GOP senators that anyone who supports FreedomWorks or the Senate Conservatives Fund (SCF) is a traitor to the party. The SCF has run multiple ads against McConnell, and has made clear it's looking for a conservative alternative to the senator.[/break1]com/blogs/ballot-box/senate-races/327539-mcconnell-loses-endorsement-of-tea-party-group]http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/sen ... arty-groupSen McConnell made his feelings known to all Senate Republicans in a closed door meeting last week.Things got particularly heated when Cruz was asked point-blank if he would renounce attacks waged on GOP senators by the Senate Conservatives Fund, an outside group that has aligned itself closely with the Texas senator.Cruz’s response: “I will not,” according to an attendee.[/break1]politico.com/story/2013/10/ted-cruz-blasted-by-angry-gop-colleagues-government-shutdown-97753.html]http://www.politico.com/story/2013/10/t ... 97753.htmlAttacking the Senate Minority Leader is probably not something many first term Republican Senators would do. Sen Cruz's ego is likely to do him in. :-({|= If Cruz continues he could find himself without any committee assignments when the 2nd session starts. Seniority rules in the Senate and Cruz has very little (Cruz is #95).[/break1]rollcall.com/politics/senateseniority.html]http://www.rollcall.com/politics/senateseniority.html -xx

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:49 pm

Let's hope McConnell gets primaried and loses to a Tea Party nut who pulls a Sharron Angle/Christine O'Donnell/Todd Akin and that the Tea Party candidate then loses to the Democrat.It's ugly, messy, uncomfortable and dangerous, but this is the Republican Party coming apart. It's in the process of losing most of the banking and business backing it's had historically for over 130 years as a result of Boehner's current stunt.

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:38 pm

Let's hope McConnell gets primaried and loses to a Tea Party nut who pulls a Sharron Angle/Christine O'Donnell/Todd Akin and that the Tea Party candidate then loses to the Democrat.

It's ugly, messy, uncomfortable and dangerous, but this is the Republican Party coming apart. It's in the process of losing most of the banking and business backing it's had historically for over 130 years as a result of Boehner's current stunt.When the state involved is the one you live in, there is a fear factor that comes into play. I remember apologizing to Loh after criticizing him for not crossing over and voting for Richard Mourdock in the Republican primary.

Mourdock would be a disaster as a Senator. He is why I crossed the aisle for the first time in my life to vote for Dick Lugar in the primary, because I had to say "fuck you Mourdock" somehow.After thinking about the harm Todd Akin could do as a US Senator, I apologize for criticizing you for not voting for Richard Mourdock in the primary. doG help us all if either is elected to the Senate.

http://www.thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopi ... 66#p432466

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:15 pm

This week's events are going to agitate the Tea Baggers and help Matt Bevin in his primary contest against Sen McConnell. McConnell has already complained about the Senate Conservative Fund advertisements and Sen Cruz's refusal to disassociate himself from that group. I believe it's safe to say Rafael is not on Mitch's Christmas gift list, except possibly for some Kentucky coal. Kentucky Teabaggers aren't going to like hearing Mitch say it was time for the grown-ups to take over. -xx

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Post by Dr. Kenneth Noisewater » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:46 pm

I think Grimes has a better chance beating McConnell than a fresh face. This is one I'm 50/50 on. Right now McConnell's numbers are tanking. The latest poll had McConnell trailing grimes.

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:28 am

Sen. Mitch McConnell's (R-Ky.) primary challenger got a boost Friday with the endorsement of a prominent national conservative group, the Senate Conservatives Fund. But one other national conservative group, the Club for Growth, praised McConnell shortly after SCF jumped into the race — a possible indication conservatives may have some reservations about his ability to compete in a general election.

"Matt Bevin is a true conservative who will fight to stop the massive spending, bailouts, and debt that are destroying our country. He is not afraid to stand up to the establishment and he will do what it takes to stop Obamacare," [Senate Conservatives Fund (SCF) Executive Director Matt] Hoskins said.

McConnell has dismissed SCF in the past as a self-serving group out to make a profit, and his campaign continued that line of attack after it made its endorsement of Bevin.

"Matt Bevin now has the dubious honor of standing with a self-serving DC fundraising group that made its name by recruiting and promoting unelectable candidates that ensured Barack Obama a majority in the Senate," said Allison Moore, McConnell spokeswoman. "[SCF] clearly cares less about Kentuckians than they do about their reputation for supporting laughably bad candidates. Now they can add a New England bailout recipient who claims he went to MIT to their roster of notable failures."

[/break1]com/blogs/ballot-box/senate-races/329281-mcconnell-primary-challenger-nabs-senate-conservatives-fund-endorsement]http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/sen ... ndorsementGotta make a mental note to stock up on popcorn, butter and salt. -xx

SPen

Post by SPen » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:37 am

It's a great sign that the Senate Conservatives Fund jumped in now. Up until this point Bevin was pretty much just a theoretical threat but SCF helped out a lot of far-right insurgency candidates such as Mourdock, Cruz, and Akin. Realistically we need EVERY outside fundraising group to get in on the side of Bevin and to start running ads immediately. Don't let McConnell's poor polling numbers fool you: he will be the hardest incumbent to defeat in 2014 who isn't in a safe seat. Another great sign: Alison Lundergan Grimes outraised McConnell ($2.5 million to $2.3 million) in her first fundraising quarter. This shows that she'll have enough money to be competitive in the ad war. She likely won't outraise him in subsequent quarters but she doesn't need to, she just needs to raise enough to keep it competitive. I think right now this is race is still Lean R. We need Bevin to start becoming the self-funder that he promised to be and we need him to start pounding McConnell now.

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:43 pm

I'm not sold yet that a Sen McConnell loss in the primary would make it easier for Alison Lundergan Grimes to win the general election (yes, I live in Missouri and yes, I remember whom Sen McCaskill preferred facing in the 2012 general election). McConnell has negative numbers, even with Republicans. With McConnell gone Grimes can't attack that unpopularity.I also remember who was leading the 2012 Missouri US Senate race before Todd Akin's self inflicted wound with his legitimate rape comment (it wasn't McCaskill). Had Akin not agreed to that St Louis television interview he likely would be the junior Senator from Missouri today (unless somebody else just happened to ask the same question the St Louis television reporter asked).Last, I remember the candidate Kentuckians elected as their freshman US Senator in 2010 (plus the senile old man they elected and re-elected prior to 2010). There's not a lot I put past Kentucky voters.

SPen

Post by SPen » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:30 am

It would be easier in two ways: Bevin would not be able to pay for the same-size ad campaign that McConnell will (it doesn't matter if Bevin self-funds it or not), and ALG would have a much easier time defining her opponent in the ways she finds advantageous. It would be harder in the sense that because Bevin is less-defined than McConnell he may be able to whitewash his campaign and just run it either as Generic Republican or as Generic Tea Party candidate, whichever he thinks is more productive.The best outcome would probably be Bevin posing a serious challenge to McConnell that requires him to spend a considerable amount of his war chest to make it through the primary, a primary race that he barely wins and that he emerges from after suffering the effects of serious attacks that'll stay with him through November, only for him to limp into the general election to then have to run against an already positively-defined ALG who has created a sizable war chest of her own.

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:37 am

I'm hoping Sen McConnell will have to campaign hard for right wing votes in order to win the GOP primary. Almost anything he would say that is acceptable to Teabaggers could hurt him in the general election campaign.At this point Matt Bevin has to do little other than say "I'm not McConnell" to secure a lot of Republican votes (although I'm certain he will say much more).I'd rather have Alison Lundergan Grimes campaign against a beat-up McConnell rather than a triumphant Bevin. Several right wing PACs might decide to concentrate on other races should McConnell win the primary rather than risk alienating their contributors.

SPen

Post by SPen » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:02 am

I actually want as much of the outside-GOP money to sink into KY-SEN as possible. It's already going to be the most expensive Senate race next year, possibly the 2nd highest-spending race ever, and a lot of that money is going to be wasted being piled on top of the pie after it's already baked. That money going into Kentucky keeps it out of Louisiana and Alaska, two races we HAVE to win if we want to keep control. Having the GOP focus on Alaska in particular would be very harmful because several million dollars would go a lonnnnnng way in that cheap state. Plus if there's one upside to ALG coming up just short it''s that she'll likely turn right around in 2016 and challenge Idiot Paul, or run for Idiot Paul's vacated seat if he's stupid enough to run for President.Something that's becoming more clear every day: ALG is going to run the campaign she wants to run whether it's McConnell or Bevin. There would be one major change if Bevin won an upset in the primary (shifting from running against "Senator Gridlock" to "Candidate Crazy Extremist" but if ALG is going to win she's going to have to make voters support certain positions where the opponent just won't be as important. If the voters are ready to accept getting their money back through electing another advocate for Medicaid expansion, if they're willing to look at data in order to get behind supporting a hike of the minimum wage, and if they're willing to not gobble up a bunch of "war on coal" bullshit then she's going to win whether she faces McConnell or not.

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:32 am

A Dec 12-15 Kentucky poll from Public Policy Polling shows the race essentially tied. Sen McConnell leads Alison Lundergan Grimes 43% to 42% with 15% not sure. Teabagger Matt Bevin leads Grimes 39% to 38% with 24% not sure.The bad news for McConnell is when asked if Kentuckians approve or disapprove of McConnell's performance the results are:Approve.......31%Disapprove...61%Not Sure.......8%McConnell is doing only slightly better than the President who received:Approve.......31%Disapprove...64%Not Sure.......4%[/break1]politico.com/global/2013/12/16/kysenatepoll.html]http://images.politico.com/global/2013/ ... epoll.htmlMcConnell's job performance numbers look terrible when you remember the Romney margin of victory in Kentucky in 2012 (Romney 60.5%; Obama 37.8%).[/break1]politico.com/2012-election/map/#/President/2012/]http://www.politico.com/2012-election/m ... dent/2012/When asked if they voted for Romney or Pres Obama the results were Romney 54%; Obama 38%; Someone else/Don't remember 8%.

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:42 pm

Alison Lundergan Grimes holding her own against Sen McConnell with 4th quarter campaign receipts.Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) slightly edged his Democrat Alison Lundergan Grimes in fundraising during the final quarter of 2013.The GOP leader raised $2.22 million in the final three months of 2013, while Lundergan Grimes raised $2.1 million, their campaigns both announced Friday.But Lundergan Grimes’ showing still puts her among the top Democratic fundraisers this cycle — she’s outraised nearly every Democratic candidate and incumbent senator that has released their numbers thus far.[/break1]com/blogs/ballot-box/senate-races/197144-mcconnell-edges-lundergan-grimes-in-q4-fundraising]http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/sen ... undraising

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:30 pm

When you consider the number of years in office in addition to being the US Senate Minority Leader for the past few years Sen McConnell can't be happy with these numbers.[/break1]photobucket.com/user/Joseph_Robidoux_III/media/Politics/2014%20Elections/2014%20US%20Senate/Kentucky/USSenateKY2014-02-05a_zpse7860559.jpg.html]http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n63 ... 860559.jpg[/break1]photobucket.com/user/Joseph_Robidoux_III/media/Politics/2014%20Elections/2014%20US%20Senate/Kentucky/USSenateKY2014-02-05b_zps7af3298c.jpg.html]http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n63 ... f3298c.jpg[/break1]realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2014/senate/ky/kentucky_senate_mcconnell_vs_grimes-3485.html]http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls ... -3485.html

SPen

Post by SPen » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:07 pm

It's only gotten worse for McConnell since then because the Bluegrass poll, which McConnell had been pointing to for weeks as being the only poll that matters because it will show that he's still firmly in control of the race, showed Grimes leading him 46-42.

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:32 pm

An article from a Louisville, KY newspaper regarding the poll SPen mentioned above.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell trails Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes by 4 percentage points in this year’s U.S. Senate race, 46-42, according to the latest Bluegrass Poll of registered statewide voters.

And, according to the poll, McConnell’s biggest problem may be himself— only 27 percent of Kentuckians hold a favorable opinion of the five-term incumbent, while 50 percent said they had an unfavorable view. And only 43 percent of conservatives, who McConnell is courting heavily, said they had a favorable opinion of him.

Moreover, McConnell’s job-approval rating in Kentucky is worse than President Barack Obama’s, despite the fact that the president is wildly unpopular here, losing the state overwhelmingly in 2008 and 2012. Sixty percent of Kentuckians said they disapprove of the jobs Obama and McConnell are doing, but they gave Obama a slightly higher approval rating — 34 percent to 32 percent for McConnell. [Ouch!]

Meanwhile, Republican Matt Bevin, who trails McConnell by a 55 percent to 29 percent margin in the primary race among registered Republicans, does almost as well as McConnell in a general election match-up against Grimes. The poll found that Grimes leads him by 5 percentage points — 43 percent to 38 percent.

[/break1]courier-journal.com/article/20140206/NEWS010605/302030108/Bluegrass-Poll-Mitch-McConnell-trails-Alison-Lundergan-Grimes-Senate-race-46-42]http://www.courier-journal.com/article/ ... race-46-42More goodies, including a video, at the link.

Return to “U.S. Senate”