2014 US Senate: North Carolina

Post by SueDB » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:42 pm

Don't mess with the Fogsters!

“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

SPen

Post by SPen » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:22 pm

Yes, Republicans are starting to privately concede that Hagan is opening up a small but stable lead in the race. She's starting to drift up to 45%/46% in most polling and if she and the DSCC can keep hammering Tillis she might open up a little more breathing room as well.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:49 pm

Saturday: 76 doors

Sunday: 50 doors (homes spread further apart with long driveways)

Today: 67 doors

... and I'm all done. I'm never ringing another doorbell for Kay Hagan. [-X

... and how does that make you feel?
What is it you're trying to say?
:think:
#pasta

June bug

Post by June bug » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:04 pm

Go Hagan!

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:06 pm

Thanks for what you did Fogtator.

"The devil...the prowde spirite...cannot endure to be mocked.” - Thomas Moore

Shakes

Post by Shakes » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:22 pm

Thank-you Foggy for your work to re-elect Kay Hagan. It's folks like you that make me more hopeful that our state has a future.

Tomtech

Post by Tomtech » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:35 pm

CNN just called it for Tillis. :cry:

The Chriscam is open for public viewing.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:54 am

Yes. Hagan lost. She lost because she ran a bad campaign. In what sense does she come across as a leader? In no sense, that's what.

"Oh, I'm soooooooo middle of the road." "Oh, I'm soooooooo not really a Democrat." "Oh, I'm sooooooooo distanced from that president feller. President who?"

Once she ruled out any mention of ObamaCare, she couldn't point to a single vote she was proud of, in six years. "Oh, I soooooooooooo support veterans, and jobs, and being middle of the road."

She gave people reasons not to vote for Tillis, but no reasons why anyone should vote for Hagan. She ran a cowardly, defensive campaign. I tried my best, but I'm trapped in a world I never made.

On the bright side, my friend Lorrin Freeman was elected district attorney of my county.

Nationally, the vote is hard to understand. Joni Ernst won, which means the lunatics have totally taken over the asylum. I felt disheartened about it for almost half an hour until the alarm went off to remind me to back up the database, as it does every day. My life remains mostly unchanged, and I think President Obama will forge right ahead like he does.

Now the RWNJs have to try to govern. They're not going to be good at that.

Edited to add: Molotov Mitchell got creamed. Won like 32% of the vote. Loser.

#pasta

Jocelyn9596

Post by Jocelyn9596 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:20 am

One of the best things about this campaign being over, Foggy, is that we won't be hearing Tillis & Hagan during every commercial break whenever you watch TV. The Dems got what they asked for, they wanted the base to forget about everything that has happened over the last 6 years rather than focusing on all the great things that have happened under President Obama. We need leaders in the DNC!

Thanks for all the hard work you put in on the campaign. I know you certainly did your very best. :hug:

June bug

Post by June bug » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:18 pm

You were great, Foggy. Too bad Kay Hagan behaved like such a DINO. On MSNBC, Chris Matthews said basically the same thing about Mark Warner in VA: that he gave people reasons not to vote for Gillespie, not reasons to vote for him. Matthews said maybe Gillespie was crazy but you knew where he stood and what he wanted to do. Warner, not so much...

Democratic leadership needs a housecleaning from top to bottom.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:54 am

Thanks, June bug.

The other night I attended a meeting of the Wake County Progressive Democrats, where I met the chair of the North Carolina Democratic Party, Randy Voller.

One of the other guys there said, "The only Republican I voted for -- Kay Hagan -- lost. The Democrats I voted for all won."

Sure enough, Voller explained that if you took Hagan out of the equation, Dems won 54% of the vote in my state. He insists this is a "purple-blue" state, if we can just GOTV.

But the students didn't vote. A lot of people didn't vote. Voller said if we'd gotten 59% of the electorate to vote this year, even Hagan would have won.

I'm so angry at her for voting for Keystone XL. There's no excuse for that. What's she going to do, switch parties now? Grr. :angry:

#pasta

Adrianinflorida

Post by Adrianinflorida » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:59 am

With new election laws, how many of the students can vote? Just asking as I'm not sure if/what election "reforms" happened in NC.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:16 am

I hope you told them to run a fucking democrat on the top opf the ticket next time, foggy

kate520

Post by kate520 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:23 pm

This is the part that flummoxes me: In 2012, Democrats won won 1.4 million more votes than Republicans, but Republicans ended up with a 234-201 majority in the house. I can't find those numbers for 2014, but I'm guessing the percentage will remain about the same. Clearly, when it comes to sheer numbers, Democrats win, but the redistricting and other demographic details show how the will of the peeps can be deflected. So what if more citizens vote democratic? They didn't fix it so their votes counted, therefore...they don't and neither do you.

Patriotism is the last refuge of a Scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:10 pm

Hagan: "Obama should have told people the economy is thriving."

Not Kay Hagan, though. That wasn't her job, if she wanted to be re-elected. No, it was Obama's job to tell everybody about the good economy.

She'd better hope I never meet her in person, because I'm not likely to say anything polite or friendly at all.

#pasta

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:44 pm

Or instead of crowing about it herself, Hagan could just tell folks to look at the "Markets" page of the Times.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:24 am

Yes Ms Kagan, Obama made you run away from him and badmouth the job he was doing with his Jedi Powers, so its his fault you got your ass kicked.

What a slimeball. I can understand how you feel Foggy.

mimi

Re: 2014 US Senate: North Carolina

Post by mimi » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:37 pm

CampaignLegalCenter @CampaignLegal

Carolina Rising appears to have broken law & perjured itself backing @ThomTillis http://www.opensecrets.org/news/2015/10 ... lis-in-14/ via @RobertMaguire_ @OpenSecretsDC

Political nonprofit spent nearly 100 percent of funds to elect Tillis in ’14

by Robert Maguire on October 20, 2015
A social welfare group called Carolina Rising spent 97 percent of the money it raised in the 2014 midterm elections — nearly $5 million — running ads that helped Sen. Thom Tillis (R-N.C.) defeat the incumbent Democrat that cycle.

The group, formed by political operative Dallas Woodhouse in late March 2014, did virtually nothing else. Its first tax filing, obtained by the Center for Responsive Politics, shows that the organization raised nearly $4.9 million in its first year — $4.8 million of it from a single donor; nearly all of that went out the door to a prominent political media firm in Virginia for ads mentioning Tillis, while the rest was spent on payments to an LLC started by Woodhouse only months earlier.

The stark set of facts raises questions not only about whether the group spent the majority of its funds on political activity — verboten for nonprofits claiming 501(c)(4) status under the tax code — but about whether Carolina Rising was devoted to helping a single individual. That would violate an IRS rule barring social welfare organizations from benefiting one person — the so-called “private benefit” prohibition.

As OpenSecrets Blog prepared to publish this post, the group Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (with which this blog has no affiliation) filed complaints with the IRS accusing Carolina Rising and a 501(c)(4) group working to help elect GOP presidential candidate Marco Rubio of spending the vast majority of their money on behalf of a single candidate, in violation of the agencie’s rules.
more:
http://www.opensecrets.org/news/2015/10 ... lis-in-14/

Unless time in the pokey applies, I think the whole thing is a waste of time. It's not like a fine will matter.

Return to “U.S. Senate”