New Massachusetts Junior Senator

ProudObot

Post by ProudObot » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:26 pm

If John Kerry becomes Secretary of State, we may have another Kennedy in the Senate. Ted Kennedy Jr has, of course, huge name recognition, and the Kennedy name is revered in Massachusetts. I don't favor nepotism, but Ted seems to have a better chance than anyone else to beat Scott Brown, who is ready to run again, in a special election.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Post by Dr. Kenneth Noisewater » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:55 pm

There's also speculation that Ben Affleck might jump in the race.

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:41 pm

If John Kerry becomes Secretary of State, we may have another Kennedy in the Senate. Ted Kennedy Jr has, of course, huge name recognition, and the Kennedy name is revered in Massachusetts. I don't favor nepotism, but Ted seems to have a better chance than anyone else to beat Scott Brown, who is ready to run again, in a special election.I heard Vicki Kennedy might run for the seat left by John Kerry.

ProudObot

Post by ProudObot » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:31 pm

Ted Jr has decided not to run. Even though he owns a house in MA, in the Kennedy compound, he'd have to uproot his family from CT where they're domiciled. Hope there's someone else with enough backing to beat Scott Brown.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:55 pm

centerhttp://i.huffpost.com/gen/129381/thumbs/s-BARNEY-FRANK-large.jpg[/img] {SMILIES_PATH}/pray.gif

MaineSkeptic

Post by MaineSkeptic » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:59 pm

[link]CNN: Affleck rules out Massachusetts Senate run,http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/?hpt=hp_t2[/link]

Piffle

Post by Piffle » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:19 pm

Wow, they're dropping like flies. Will someone please kidnap Martha Coakley ASAP! Where is Michael Dukakis when you really need him?Sekrit Stuffs!
Psst, Skeppy. Ya see, there was a good reason Maine seceded from Massachusetts.

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:18 pm

[link]Boston Globe,http://www.boston.com/politicalintellig ... story.html[/link]

US Rep. Markey to run in Senate special election

US Representative Edward Markey, dean of the state’s Washington delegation, will run in 2013 for the US Senate seat expected to open with the nomination of US Senator John Kerry to head the State Department.

Markey, 66, a Malden Democrat elected to the House in 1976, is the first prominent candidate to declare a run for Kerry’s seat, which will be filled through a special election early next summer, probably in June. Kerry, a Democrat and head of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, is expected to be easily confirmed by the Senate in the coming weeks as the next secretary of state.

The Massachusetts special election is likely to be a closely-watched national race, and a potential harbinger for the 2014 mid-term elections. ...

Two other Bay State congressmen, Michael Capuano of Somerville, and Stephen Lynch of South Boston, both Democrats, have also expressed interest in seeking Kerry’s seat. Running in a special election is a low-risk venture for House incumbents—if they lose they would still be members of Congress and able to run for reelection as favored incumbents in 2014. ...

Governor Deval Patrick will appoint a temporary senator to fill the seat after Kerry is confirmed to his new job. Patrick has said he favors appointing a “caretaker” who will not seek the seat in the special election, and Markey will not ask for the appointment, according to the person familiar with his decision.

¡Sterngard! come home.

A Legal Lohengrin

Post by A Legal Lohengrin » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:38 pm

[link]Boston Globe,http://www.boston.com/politicalintellig ... story.html[/link]

US Rep. Markey to run in Senate special election

US Representative Edward Markey, dean of the state’s Washington delegation, will run in 2013 for the US Senate seat expected to open with the nomination of US Senator John Kerry to head the State Department.I believe someone else here floated Markey's name. It's a good move. I think he'd make a good Senator, and it would be nice to have him on the majority side on the Senate committees corresponding to his current appointments in the House.

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:40 pm

Joe Ruby and I.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:34 pm

[link]Political Wire,http://politicalwire.com/archives/2012/ ... kerry.html[/link]

Democrats Rally Around Markey to Replace Kerry

Sen. John Kerry (D-MA) said he supported Rep. Edward Markey's (D-MA) decision to seek his Senate seat, "heaping strong praise on the Massachusetts congressman" and an aide says Kerry would vote for Markey in a special election, the Boston Globe reports.

Kerry's statement was immediately followed by an endorsement from Victoria Kennedy, widow of the late Senator Edward M. Kennedy, Jr."

Mark Halperin notes Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee chair Michael Bennet also came out for Markey.

¡Sterngard! come home.

AnitaMaria

Post by AnitaMaria » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:47 am

From [link]politico,http://www.politico.com/story/2013/01/b ... z2H0wD3yeF[/link]Barney Frank, one day out of Congress, said on Friday that he has asked Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick to send him back as an interim senator when Sen. John Kerry becomes secretary of state.“A month ago, or a few weeks ago, I said I wasn’t interested,” Frank said on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe.” “It was kind of like you’re about to graduate, and they said: ‘You gotta go to summer school.’ But [the fiscal cliff deal] now means that February, March and April are going to be among the most important months in American financial history.”He added, “I’ve told the governor I would now like, frankly, to do that [serve as interim senator].”Frank said he wouldn’t run for Kerry’s seat in a special election, which would likely take place this summer.I'd like to see Barney Frank as a senator, if only for a few months. :-bd

Plutodog

Post by Plutodog » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:14 pm

Me too. For at least a few months. :thunb:

The only good Bundy is an Al Bundy.

kubu island

Post by kubu island » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:35 pm

Me too. For at least a few months. :thunb:I agree it would be great. But the dems should probably aggree that the interim senator should also be the one to run for election, name recognition and easing in the candidate. Just being practical, that all..

AnitaMaria

Post by AnitaMaria » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:58 pm

Governor Patrick has said that he will not appoint anyone who intends to run in the special election. From [/break1]masslive.com/politics/index.ssf/2012/12/gov_deval_patrick_said_he_does.html]http://www.masslive.com/politics/index. ... _does.html"I expect to appoint someone who does not plan to run for the seat," Patrck told reporters, speaking from a podium outside the governor's office shortly after President Barack Obama in Washington formally announced his nomination of Kerry as secretary of state.Patrick said it would be difficult for an interim appointee to do the job in the Senate and also raise money and campaign during a special election.I don't think his reasoning makes a lot of sense, since incumbent politicians campaign every election season while still serving in their elected positions, but I think the Massachusetts Dems prefer to have a competitive primary. Before Kennedy died, he asked Governor Patrick not to appoint an interim person who intended to run for his seat. That didn't turn out so well for the Dems, but I doubt Martha Coakley will show her face this time around.

kubu island

Post by kubu island » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:19 pm

Governor Patrick has said that he will not appoint anyone who intends to run in the special election. From [/break1]masslive.com/politics/index.ssf/2012/12/gov_deval_patrick_said_he_does.html]http://www.masslive.com/politics/index. ... _does.html :oops: :oops: :oops:

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:48 pm

This is why I don't want John Kerry leaving the Senate.Former Sen. Scott Brown has a 20-point lead over the DSCC’s preferred candidate in a special election to replace likely incoming Secretary of State John Kerry, according to a poll released Friday.Brown draws 53 percent of the vote to 31 percent for veteran Rep. Ed Markey, according to the poll from MassINC. Kerry and the DSCC have endorsed Markey for the Senate seat. Markey actually does worse than a generic Democrat, who would draw 36 percent of the vote to Brown’s 44 percent.[/break1]politico.com/story/2013/01/scott-brown-up-big-in-mass-senate-poll-86744.html?hp=l5]http://www.politico.com/story/2013/01/s ... html?hp=l5It took Elizabeth Warren over a year of campaigning at a cost over $38 million to get Scott Brown out of the US Senate and now the White House is giving the SOB an invitation to return. Somebody at the 1600 block of Pennsylvania Avenue is suffering from cranial-anal syndrome.If Brown returns to the Senate he may well remain there until he decides to retire.http://www.thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopi ... 38#p454638

A Legal Lohengrin

Post by A Legal Lohengrin » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:51 pm

This is why I don't want John Kerry leaving the Senate.Former Sen. Scott Brown has a 20-point lead over the DSCC’s preferred candidate in a special election to replace likely incoming Secretary of State John Kerry, according to a poll released Friday.Yet another gutless, unintelligible decision from the White House.

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:25 pm

Congressman Markey may have some competition for the Democratic nomination for Senator.Massachusetts Democratic Rep. Stephen F. Lynch will announce his decision on a Senate run next week, but has been setting the groundwork for a bid — from fundraising to political maneuvering — should he decide to get in.Lynch spokesman Scott Ferson told CQ Roll Call the congressman is doing everything he would need to do to mount a Senate bid next week and will make a final announcement on his decision then, when Sen. John Kerry is expected to be confirmed as secretary of State.A primary race between Markey and Lynch would be a stark contrast in backgrounds and constituencies. Lynch represents a mostly urban district, which includes South Boston and has many middle- and working-class constituents who are Democratic but skew conservative. Markey represents a broad swath of suburbs outside Boston that includes some urban areas but also some of the wealthiest and most liberal municipalities in the state.Lynch, who is anti-abortion and voted against the 2010 health care overhaul, will have the support of some local unions, while Markey, who supports abortion rights and voted for the health care overhaul, has the backing of the powerful Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee and Kerry, among others.[/break1]rollcall.com/massachusetts-talk-of-lynch-bid-to-replace-kerry-increases/]http://atr.rollcall.com/massachusetts-t ... increases/

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:37 pm

My ideal scenario would be for Barney Frank to be appointed as a stop gap, for the other Democrats to poll so low that Barney realized only he could save the seat, and then for Barney Frank to run and be elected to the seat. And Barney Frank would be the junior Senator from Massachusetts to Elizabeth Warren (my pretend GF :xo ).Awesome.

Plutodog

Post by Plutodog » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:40 am

My ideal scenario would be for Barney Frank to be appointed as a stop gap, for the other Democrats to poll so low that Barney realized only he could save the seat, and then for Barney Frank to run and be elected to the seat. And Barney Frank would be the junior Senator from Massachusetts to Elizabeth Warren (my pretend GF :xo ).Awesome.Gawd, I wish.

The only good Bundy is an Al Bundy.

jtmunkus

Post by jtmunkus » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:50 am

Me too. For at least a few months. :thunb:I agree it would be great. But the dems should probably aggree that the interim senator should also be the one to run for election, name recognition and easing in the candidate. Just being practical, that all..Why would Governor Patrick appoint someone who wasn't capable of senatoring and campaigning simultaneously? He must have someone special in mind with a pretty thin resume.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:06 am

Scott Brown has just concluded a statewide campaign and is well-known to Massachusetts voters. None of the Democratic possibilities has had that kind of exposure. If the Massachusetts Democratic Party can avoid a destructive nomination process, they will have a chance to make their candidate well-known across the state. It's too early to be looking at opinion polls pitting Scott Brown against anyone.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:09 am

Scott Brown has just concluded a statewide campaign and is well-known to Massachusetts voters. None of the Democratic possibilities has had that kind of exposure. If the Massachusetts Democratic Party can avoid a destructive nomination process, they will have a chance to make their candidate well-known across the state. It's too early to be looking at opinion polls pitting Scott Brown against anyone.The 2013 Senate campaign will be much shorter than the Brown-Warren campaign.Following a 2004 change to Massachusetts state law, a vacant Senate post must be filled by special election between 145 and 160 days after the seat is opened.I don't view Brown as a prohibitive favorite. Congressmen Edward Markey and Stephen Lynch are both capable of defeating Brown in a special election. I do view a Kerry resignation as an unnecessary risk to a Senate seat that has been blue since 1985.Brown has cash leftover from the costly November election, a campaign team and strategy in place, and high favorability ratings in the state.[/break1]thecrimson.com/article/2012/12/21/kerry-seat-special-election/]http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2012/ ... -election/While a Brown win would not change control of the Senate during the 113th Congress, it would make the Republican challenge of getting 41 votes to stall legislation a bit easier.

AnitaMaria

Post by AnitaMaria » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:04 pm

The 2013 Senate campaign will be much shorter than the Brown-Warren campaign.Following a 2004 change to Massachusetts state law, a vacant Senate post must be filled by special election between 145 and 160 days after the seat is opened.Interesting bit of irony with this law that is now vexing Massachusetts Dems: Before 2004, MA state law said that if a Senator leaves office before his/her term expired, the Governor appointed a replacement to serve out the remainder of that Senator's term. But in 2004, with Kerry running for President and his Senate term not up until 2008, the state's overwhelmingly Democratic legislature changed the law to its current form because they didn't want then-Governor Romney to be able to appoint a long-term replacement for John Kerry if Kerry won the presidency.After Kennedy's cancer diagnosis, there was some talk of changing the law back to its pre-2004 state and let Governor Duval Patrick appoint someone to serve out his term, but everyone was so sure that a Democrat would win the seat after Kennedy died that the discussion never really went anywhere.

Return to “U.S. Senate”