2014: House and Senate Class II

Jez

Post by Jez » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:53 pm

I guess now would be the time to start planning if we are going to get rid of the nutjobs in the House.

As always, all 435 House seats are up for election.

Senate Class II is up for election.

States with a Class 2 senator:

Democrats

Baucus, Max (D-MT)

Begich, Mark (D-AK)

Coons, Christopher (D-DE)

Durbin, Richard J. (D-IL)

Franken, Al (D-MN)

Hagan, Kay R. (D-NC)

Harkin, Tom (D-IA)

Johnson, Tim (D-SD)

Kerry, John F. (D-MA)

Landrieu, Mary L. (D-LA)

Lautenberg, Frank R. (D-NJ)

Levin, Carl (D-MI)

Merkley, Jeff (D-OR)

Pryor, Mark L. (D-AR)

Reed, Jack (D-RI)

Rockefeller, John D., IV (D-WV)

Shaheen, Jeanne (D-NH)

Udall, Mark (D-CO)

Udall, Tom (D-NM)

Warner, Mark R. (D-VA)|Republicans

Alexander, Lamar (R-TN)

Chambliss, Saxby (R-GA)

Cochran, Thad (R-MS)

Collins, Susan M. (R-ME)

Cornyn, John (R-TX)

Enzi, Michael B. (R-WY)

Graham, Lindsey (R-SC)

Inhofe, James M. (R-OK)

Johanns, Mike (R-NE)

McConnell, Mitch (R-KY)

Risch, James E. (R-ID)

Roberts, Pat (R-KS)

Sessions, Jeff (R-AL)

Edit: Edited to add actual names instead of just states.
Edit: Per the suggestion of a fellow Fogbower, I added columns. and edited my edit

I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

Clairez

Post by Clairez » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:05 pm

Can we perhaps look at a tea party challenger for Susan Collin's seat in Maine? :lol:

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:06 pm

Have any of the Senators already announced they will not run for another term?

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:10 pm

I suspect the only Class II Senators that are at risk of not being re-elected are:

Democratic

Mark Begich (AK)---Begich won a very close election against incumbent Ted Stevens who was being prosecuted under questionable circumstances. Republicans haven't forgotten that. Begich is probably praying that Sarah Palin will return to Alaska to run against him (ain't gonna happen).

Kay Hagan (NC)---North Carolina, despite the Rooster's valliant effort, is still a red state. Expect the Teabaggers to come after Hagan with an Elmer Gantry (unless he's busy on the Appalachian Trail).

Tim Johnson (SD)---After a razor thin win in 2000 Johnson won easily in 2006. Johnson's health will be an unspoken concern for many South Dakota Independents and Republicans he needs in order to win (Johnson suffered a stroke in 2006). Johnson is presently Chairman of the Banking, Housing and Urban Affairs Committee and appears capable of continuing.

Mary Landrieu (LA)---I'm always amazed when Louisiana elects any Democrat statewide post Southern Strategy.

Mark Pryor (AR)---Pryor faces the standard Democrat in a red state.

Mark Udall (CO)---Democrat in a very light blue state. Udall and Tim Johnson may be in the best spot for any of the Democrats listed here.|Republican

Susan Collins (ME)---Collins' chances of winning re-election are very similar to Indiana's Richard Lugar in 2012. If she wins the primary, she coasts in the general election. If Republicans have any working brain cells remaining they will forget their RINO and purity crap, shut their mouth, hold their nose and work for her re-election. But that requires Republicans with active brain cells. It's too early to predict this one.

Lindsey Graham (SC)---One of the few politicians who would profit from being caught in bed with a live girl (as long as she's old enough to vote). Graham will be wary of compromising with Senate Democrats until after the SC primary election in 2014. He knows a Republican will win the general election regardless if it's him or anyone else. He doesn't possess the leverage Sen Collins enjoys.

The remaining Class II Senators should cruise to comfortable wins.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:39 pm

Kay Hagan (NC)---North Carolina, despite the Rooster's valliant effort, is still a red state. Expect the Teabaggers to come after Hagan with an Elmer Gantry (unless he's busy on the Appalachian Trail).I'd be hard pressed to come up with a single thing that Kay Hagan - or Richard Burr, for that matter - has ever done or said while in the U.S. Senate.

Aside from their votes, they both seem to think that the way to stay in office is to keep as low a profile as humanly possible. I doubt there are 15% of North Carolinians who could name both their U.S. senators.

For Burr, that led to an easy re-election (though Elaine Marshall didn't put up much of a fuss against him, IMHO). We'll just have to see what happens to Hagan.

If she's vulnerable due to her votes, the vote for Obamacare and for DADT Repeal will be held against her. By 2014, I think Obamacare will be a lot more popular, and I think our vote last May for Amendment One wasn't a true reflection of the state's attitude toward LGBTs. That thing was deceptive, and there was a deceptive campaign in its favor. I think a lot of people thought they were voting for gay marriage, not to outlaw it.

More will be revealed, I reckon.

Welcome, seeker! There's a seeker born every minute!

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:14 pm

South Dakota

Former GOP Governor Mike Rounds announced he will challenge Sen Tim Johnson when Johnson faces re-election in 2014.

[/break1]com/news/former-south-dakota-gov-mike-rounds-announces-run-for-us/article_0d6f54b6-3a32-11e2-838d-0019bb2963f4.html]http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/former ... 963f4.html

Johnson stated a formal announcement will come later but it certainly appears he intends to run.

[/break1]talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/sen-tim-johnson-re-election-decision-to-come]http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/e ... on-to-come

Plutodog

Post by Plutodog » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:50 pm

I believe I can safely announce that I will be supporting the reelection of Sen Johnson in 2014. :-k

The only good Bundy is an Al Bundy.

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:11 am

Have any of the Senators already announced they will not run for another term?Sen Harkin's announcement this week not to seek re-election gives Republicans a good chance of flipping a Senate seat that otherwise would have been considered out of reach by many (same scenario will apply when Sen Grassley announces his retirement).I'm fearful Sen Tim Johnson (D-SD) may decide not to run for re-election. If Johnson doesn't run, the Republican candidate (no matter whom) will be a prohibitive favorite unless he commits a felony.

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:57 pm

Have any of the Senators already announced they will not run for another term?Saxby Chambliss is the only Republican Class II Senator, to my knowledge, that has announced he will not seek re-election. A Sen Thad Cochran re-election website is under construction. This is a safe Republican seat under almost any circumstance (think dead girl or live boy in bed with the candidate).[/break1]thadforsenate.com/]http://www.thadforsenate.com/Sen Susan Collins has over $900,000 in campaign money. That reads to me Collins is preparing to run for re-election.[/break1]kjonline.com/news/with-approval-and-money-collins-strong_2013-02-01.html]http://www.kjonline.com/news/with-appro ... 02-01.htmlIt's doubtful Sen John Cornyn will retire. He just got a promotion at the beginning of this Congress. Cornyn is now the #2 Republican in the Senate (Minority Whip) after Sen Jon Kyl's retirement.[/break1]senate.gov/pagelayout/senators/a_three_sections_with_teasers/leadership.htm]http://www.senate.gov/pagelayout/senato ... ership.htmI don't believe the remaining Republican Senators are worth the time to determine if they are running or not. A Republican will win the general election in those states no matter whose name is on the ballot.

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:19 pm

Sen Levin's retirement announcement is the latest that will greatly affect the seniority list of Senate Democrats in the 114th Congress (assuming all Class II Senators are re-elected).

Rank.....Democrats..............Date Service Began

1...Patrick Leahy (VT).................Jan 3, 1975

2...Max Baucus (MT)..................Dec 15, 1978

3...Carl Levin (MI)....................Jan 3, 1979

4...John Kerry (MA)...................Jan 3, 1985

5...Tom Harkin (IA)...................Jan 3, 1985

6...John D. Rockefeller IV (WV)......Jan 15, 1985

2...Barbara A. Mikulski (MD).........Jan 3, 1987

3...Harry Reid (NV)....................Jan 3, 1987

4...Dianne Feinstein (CA)............Nov 10, 1992

5...Barbara Boxer (CA)................Jan 3, 1993

6...Patty Murray (WA).................Jan 3, 1993|Rank.....Democrats..............Date Service Began

7...Ron Wyden (OR)...................Feb 6, 1996

8...Richard J. Durbin (IL).............Jan 7, 1997

10.Tim Johnson (SD)..................Jan 7, 1997

9...Jack Reed (RI).....................Jan 7, 1997

10..Mary L. Landrieu (LA)............Jan 7, 1997

11..Charles E. Schumer (NY).........Jan 6, 1999

12..Bill Nelson (FL)....................Jan 3, 2001

13..Thomas R. Carper (DE)..........Jan 3, 2001

14..Debbie Stabenow (MI)............Jan 3, 2001

15..Maria Cantwell (WA).............Jan 3, 2001

[/break1]senate.gov/galleries/pdcl/seniority.html]http://www.senate.gov/galleries/pdcl/seniority.html

There will be several committee chairmanships changed/gained as a result of these retirements.

Edit: Modified list after Sen Tim Johnson's retirement announcement.
Edit: Modified list after Sen Max Baucus' retirement announcement.

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:13 pm

The following ad was produced by the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee and asks "What Does It Mean To Be A Democrat?" The face and name of the narrator will be shown at the end of the clip. See if you can recognize who he is before then.

Return to “U.S. Senate”