Local political ads

Chilidog

Local political ads

Post by Chilidog » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:35 pm

Lately, in the Chicago market, there have been two types of political ads.

Ads paid for by Bruce Rauner linking local Dems to Mike Madigan. These are interesting because they feature the faces of Madigan and the Dems superimposed on the sides of City skyscrapers. I get that they are trying to use the negative views that some people have of Madigan to attack other candidates, but I'm not sure what the skyscrapers are supposed to convey. That the downtown buisness district is evil?

The other set of ads is from the DNC candidates attacking their opponents as being "Rauner/Trump Republicans". LOL

I haven't seen any Trump ads

A bunch from Tammy Duckeorth attacking Kirk and a bunch from Dold and Schnieder attacking each other.

Volkonski

Re: Local political ads

Post by Volkonski » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:02 pm

Here on the North Fork the Democratic candidate for Congress, Anna Throne-Holst, has been running ads linking the incumbent, Lee Zeldin, to Trump. Her job is made easier because Zeldin has endorsed Trump.

The local newspaper, despite a slightly right of center editorial slant, has endorsed Throne-Holst saying that Zeldin spends too much time on foreign policy and defense issues and not enough on local issues important to his constituents.

This congressional district has slightly more Republicans than Democrats but Zeldin is a 1st term congressman who replaced a 6 term Democrat. It could go either way.

Zeldin's ads tout his military service ("Vote for the vet") and his family.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:06 pm

They have political ads on the Tee Vee? :shock:

Welcome, seeker! There's a seeker born every minute!

gupwalla

Post by gupwalla » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:09 pm

Foggy wrote:They have political ads on the Tee Vee? :shock:
They still have Tee Vee?

In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:23 pm

A very cute Texas county commissioner ad -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzjRwNUQDRU

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:01 am

This one has been getting some air time.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-C75Vd-xJ-k

Paul Lentz

Post by Paul Lentz » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:30 pm

I got two calls from Barack Obama yesterday afternoon/evening. The first call was in support of Linda Stewart, a Dem candidate for the Florida state senate. It was a good call (robo; prerecorded, of course...I didn't actually speak with the President). Good script, all about the great things that Linda Stewart stands for, blah, blah. Fine.

About twenty minutes later, I got the second call from Barack Obama. This one was in support of Beth Turra, a Dem candidate for the Florida state house. While, in its individual context, this would have been a good call, unfortunately the script was exactly the same as the call I had just gotten in support of Linda Stewart, only the candidate name insertion was different.

I've already voted, and I voted for both Stewart and Turra. With or without Barack Obama's call, I would have voted for Stewart and Turra. But, quite frankly, I thought it was pretty ineffective--maybe even counter-productive, to receive two identical (with the exception of the candidate's name insertion) 20 minutes apart. Call me picky, but I was unimpressed, maybe even a bit put off.

I'd already had some thought issues about Beth Turra, considering the calls I've gotten in support of her. Most of those calls have come from a gay activist organization here in Central Florida, and the overriding message from these calls is that I should support Beth Turra because she is gay...not because she's a good candidate with a solid platform (she is). Sorry, but I find that off-putting. I wouldn't vote against Beth Turra because she's gay (I couldn't care less what her sexual orientation might be); and I wouldn't (and didn't) vote for her because she's gay.

Additionally, here in Central Florida, we've had a plethora of candidates who have felt it was necessary to invoke the 6/12/16 massacre at the Pulse nightclub in their advertising and robocalls. This includes both Republicans and Democrats, women and men, gay and straight, in favor of and against gun control...all using the deaths of 49 people, and the injuries to 50+, to sell their particular brand of soap, be it tighter or less restrictive gun control, pro- or anti-gay marriage/bathroom bills/equal protection for gays in housing/employment, tough on crime, tough on immigration, blah, blah, blah. All of them offend me deeply; probably none so much as Marco Rubio (running for reelection to the US Senate).

Another thing I've noticed, mostly because of my Mom (as I mentioned before, my mother is in an advanced state of Alzheimer's dementia). During the day, as she sits in a chair in the living room, we tend to keep the TV on and tuned to a few channels (TVLand, MeTV and AntennaTV) which show old-to-really-old sitcoms (like Father Knows Best; Leave It to Beaver; Green Acres; and--her fave--The Andy Griffith Show), plus (same era) dramas like Bonanza and Gunsmoke. I've noticed that there are (very often) Hillary Clinton ads on those channels; I've yet to see a Donald Trump on any of them. I don't think my Mom's the only one watching MeTV and TVLand in Orlando...but I think that one candidate had the good sense to tap the audience those channels receive, and one didn't.

The love of power will not win over the power of love.
Orlando, Florida 6/12/16

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:34 am

No wonder Paul is such a knowledgeable attorney. Perry Mason and Matlock on MeTV every morning! You couldn't ask for better continuing legal education refresher courses.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:26 pm

Brutal ad. Holidays are going to be awkward for a while.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:24 am

:thumbs: Thanks W4! Gosh, that was funny ... and brutal!

As I watched I thought "these people have remarkably similar voices and identical accents." It was hilarious to discover why! :rotflmao:

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:52 am

Are all of them actually his relatives, or just the sister?

Lani

Post by Lani » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:01 am

They are all siblings.

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:08 am

:think: All the family together for Thanksgiving this year, maybe? Maybe not?

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:30 am

ImageImageImage x4

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:43 am

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:34 am
No wonder Paul is such a knowledgeable attorney. Perry Mason and Matlock on MeTV every morning! You couldn't ask for better continuing legal education refresher courses.
Though probably more accurate than today’s law and order programs where they portray the cop as prosecuter, judge, jury and executioner. However, until they give CEU credits for watching Perry Mason, I’ll just sit in the back row.

Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

Return to “Governors & State Elections”