Wack-a-dooodle-doooooo! Mary Lou Bruner

Plutodog

Wack-a-dooodle-doooooo! Mary Lou Bruner

Post by Plutodog » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:02 am

An Extremist Running for Texas’ Board of Education Won Big on Super Tuesday. That’s Not Just Texas’ Problem.
Texas has long been ground zero for wackazoid right-wing politicians, who seem to get more entrenched every year: The current agriculture commissioner, Sid Miller, is on a heaven-sent mission to put deep fryers and vending machines back into schools after a 10-year ban, and the attorney general, Ken Paxton, is obsessed with invalidating same-sex marriages, even on death certificates. (Paxton could be disbarred for encouraging clerks to ignore the Supreme Court’s same-sex marriage decision, among numerous other ethically questionable acts.)

But Bruner, a retired teacher with 36 years of experience in Texas schools, is exceptional even by Lone Star standards. Earlier this year, she made headlines for claiming that President Barack Obama bankrolled his drug habit by plying his wares on the street, as first reported by Texas Freedom Network. She posted on Facebook:

:snippity:

Just a regrettable slip of the tongue, right? An issue, like Donald Trump and the KKK, that she needs to examine more closely? Nope. Bruner doubled down on her theory just this week, telling Breitbart Texas, “I don’t intend to apologize for my opinions because I still believe my statements were accurate.”

Her other views are just as, uh, imaginative. She believes that school shootings started “after the government removed the Ten Commandments and the Bible from public school buildings, and disallowed prayer at school and school events,” that “Evolution is a religious philosophy with propaganda supporting the religion of Atheism,” and that all “terrorist-mass murderers” are self-described Democrats or liberals (“Is there a pattern developing here?”).
Much more at the link.

The only good Bundy is an Al Bundy.

Chilidog

Re: Wack-a-dooodle-doooooo! Mary Lou Bruner

Post by Chilidog » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:12 am

I think we have been over this before. The idea that the Texas SBOE approved textbooks influence other states* is an urban myth

*other states that don't want to follow the SBOE, that is.

Ebooks, digital editing and modern publishing methods mean that if a state does not want to buy a Texas influenced textbook, there are affordable alternatives available.

Even in Texas, the influence of the SBOE is on the wane.

School districts in Texas are not required to buy SBOE textbooks, and many don't. More money was spent by school districts buying non-approved textbooks than approved textbooks
(Although that could have been for textbooks that are even worse than the SBOE books, I'll grant that).

edit: typo

mmmirele

Post by mmmirele » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:18 am

I'd also note that Texas textbooks have been a cluster**** since the early 1960s, when Mel and Norma Gabler were influencing textbook selection.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mel_and_Norma_Gabler

Consequently there were huge gaps in my knowledge that I had to fill myself. Examples: no evolution in biology class, no other political systems besides representative democracy (not that there's anything wrong with that) and no other economic systems besides invisible-hand capitalism. In some ways, it sucked as an education. However, I am comforted by the fact that my 11th grade world history teacher taught us about ancient astronauts and the Nazca lines, and other woo, so their grasp over the Texas system was not complete (but I could have done without the ancient astronauts and other woo).

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:20 am

On the other hand, Bruner IS crazy

And at least 4 other people, as well.

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:11 am

I fear for the future of our nation

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:00 pm

Chilidog wrote:I think we have been over this before. The idea that the Texas SBOE approved textbooks influence other states* is an urban myth

Ebooks, digital editing and modern publishing methods mean that if a state does not want to buy a Texas influenced textbook, there are affordable alternatives available.
On an institutional/mass user level, commercially published ebooks cost more - sometimes a lot more - than print. There's a number of maintenance costs associated with them of which the average person is completely unaware, such as licensing, hosting/access, the costs of securing and maintaining access, keeping track of access rights, etc.

There are movements towards more open and affordable publishing and access models at the institutional level. University presses are taking a close look at moving into e-publishing and hosting. Where I work, the libraries are working with faculty to purchase unlimited or multi-user access to e-textbooks to reduce the cost burden on students. It doesn't mean it's cheaper overall, though, it just means we've decided to shift as much of that expense to the institutional level.

The electronic publications field is changing so quickly and dramatically. The hope is to get where it becomes more affordable rather than more expensive. But there are still so many issues to deal with. Hosting, secured access, and method of access are probably the big three.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:28 am

DejaMoo wrote:
Chilidog wrote:I think we have been over this before. The idea that the Texas SBOE approved textbooks influence other states* is an urban myth

On an institutional/mass user level, commercially published ebooks cost more - sometimes a lot more - than print. There's a number of maintenance costs associated with them of which the average person is completely unaware, such as licensing, hosting/access, the costs of securing and maintaining access, keeping track of access rights, etc.

:gotalink:

PS: I've been dying to respond to a post of yours for quite a while so I could tell you that your ohnoes kitty avatar changed my life. It just hits me in the right spot. :bighug:

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:10 am

p0rtia wrote:
DejaMoo wrote:

Well, here's a few. Cautionary note: the field is in a process of constant change and innovation, so information regarding the field can become outdated as quickly as some of the acquisition models and options have become.

An an overview of selection acquisition, and usage of e resources

Key Issues for e-Resource Collection Development: A Guide for Libraries

E-Resource Acquisitions in Academic Library Consortia

I work in an academic library. I'm part of the support team for our electronic resources. Most people have very little exposure to the world of electronic materials, outside of purchasing books for their Kindle. But that's very, very different from purchasing for mass usage, which is what libraries and educational institutions do. With budget reductions being nearly a constant in academia, consortial purchasing is a growing trend, negotiating collective purchases for mass audiences, with the costs shared between member institutions. At any rate, our job falls into two broad categories: acquiring the materials (and everything that involves), and maintaining access to those materials. Access issues are a major and ongoing problem with e-resources, ranging from a user's browser settings or extensions blocking access, user authentication issues, excessive use/hackers causing access shutdowns, licensed access limitations, to platform changes and major service outages (usually at the worst possible time).
PS: I've been dying to respond to a post of yours for quite a while so I could tell you that your ohnoes kitty avatar changed my life. It just hits me in the right spot. :bighug:
Thanks. I thought the appalled kitty gif was appropriate, considering the quirky persons and beliefs we often discuss here, Mary Lou Bruner being a case in point. But I'm in the mood for a change, so...

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:50 am

DejaMoo wrote:
p0rtia wrote:
DejaMoo wrote:

Well, here's a few. Cautionary note: the field is in a process of constant change and innovation, so information regarding the field can become outdated as quickly as some of the acquisition models and options have become.

An an overview of selection acquisition, and usage of e resources

Key Issues for e-Resource Collection Development: A Guide for Libraries

E-Resource Acquisitions in Academic Library Consortia

I work in an academic library. I'm part of the support team for our electronic resources. Most people have very little exposure to the world of electronic materials, outside of purchasing books for their Kindle. But that's very, very different from purchasing for mass usage, which is what libraries and educational institutions do. With budget reductions being nearly a constant in academia, consortial purchasing is a growing trend, negotiating collective purchases for mass audiences, with the costs shared between member institutions. At any rate, our job falls into two broad categories: acquiring the materials (and everything that involves), and maintaining access to those materials. Access issues are a major and ongoing problem with e-resources, ranging from a user's browser settings or extensions blocking access, user authentication issues, excessive use/hackers causing access shutdowns, licensed access limitations, to platform changes and major service outages (usually at the worst possible time).
Hokay, I get you. I read your original comment as referring to production costs, which in my experience (I work for one publishing company and engage in cooperative publishing with another) are drastically cheaper for digital books. But there is no doubt that much of the publishing industry is doing its infernal damnedest to tack idiot charges onto ebooks, particularly for textbooks and library books. The idea that ebooks should self-destruct after a certain time drives me up the wall, as do the usage charges--all of which are aimed at restricting dissemination and end up in the pockets of the everybody but the author. IMO (no links!)
Thanks. I thought the appalled kitty gif was appropriate, considering the quirky persons and beliefs we often discuss here, Mary Lou Bruner being a case in point. But I'm in the mood for a change, so...
I'll miss it! But I did go and snag it a while ago, so I'll live.

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:59 am

Self destructing ebooks??? I'm sure they have thought of the fact that colleges are notorious for students hacking stuff and there's an incentive (college students generally don't have a whole lot of money).... Getting to be books are more than the cost of the tuition etc.

“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:16 am

SueDB wrote:Self destructing ebooks??? I'm sure they have thought of the fact that colleges are notorious for students hacking stuff and there's an incentive (college students generally don't have a whole lot of money).... Getting to be books are more than the cost of the tuition etc.
That's why we're working at providing free online access to as many e-textbooks as we can. If they don't have to (directly) pay for it themselves, it saves them money, there's little motivation to steal it, and the publisher still gets paid. One of the loan models currently in use allows the user to download a copy of the ebook to their device for a set number of days, after which they no longer have access (unless they go back and download it again). That's used when the number of simultaneous users is limited by the license terms. Sometimes it's a compromise: only one download at a time, but unlimited online simultaneous access.

In the meantime, libraries are making plans for their print collections and they space they take up. Some libraries are planning on collaborative collections on a regional basis, determining who will keep what materials and share them regionally, with the remainder going into storage or weeded out. The role libraries play in education and as a community resource is evolving into an increasingly online presence, with the physical space being re-purposed for more hands-on endeavors (recording studios, maker spaces, training rooms, community space, etc.)

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:21 am

I'm wondering how long the libraries will resist the bean counters on data space cost/maintenance - the cost to store/service/replace etc a real book versus e-material???

“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:33 pm

The issue of maintaining access to electronic journals and other publications is bothersome. The insistence on continued annual payment if we want to maintain our present collection of past volumes may be in the contracts, but it is predatory.

The conventional textbook publishers are working, I think, at pricing themselves out of the market. I use e-books from publishers that did not exist five years ago. Their prices are about 1/5 of what a conventional publisher asks for what I consider to be comparable material.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:24 pm

SueDB wrote:I'm wondering how long the libraries will resist the bean counters on data space cost/maintenance - the cost to store/service/replace etc a real book versus e-material???
Public institutions anxious to placate Republicans use this as a political tool. This type of expense can be described as 'outsourcing', which goes down well with conservatives. They prefer paying third parties (aka political donors) over public employees. Speaking of public employees, anything that reduces staffing and salary costs at public institutions is also viewed favorably by conservatives. Tell them this work is being done by outside companies and they will squee with delight. Tell them you've been able to reduce staffing by x% as a result, and they'll agree to increase your collections budget to cover the additional expense. Well, at least a time or two, until they remind themselves that public colleges and universities are hotbeds of liberalism, and who needs knowledge, anyway.

Yes, I'm cynical. Outsourcing work from the public to private sector is huge and very, very profitable, and hugely expensive for taxpayers, who get to pay twice: once to have it done wrong, and once to have it corrected, or to clean up after the ensuing debacle.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Sun May 22, 2016 4:52 pm

More
Bruner, who has warned that pre-K programs indoctrinate children into the “homosexual agenda,” called for slashing “special programs” and early childhood education.

“When you have 3 year olds in school then that’s going to be very expensive because it’s going to require a teacher and and aide for a very small number — I don’t know what that would be — but I would say it would be 10 or 12 [students],” she said.

“When we only teach theory — it’s a theory, theories are unproven — but in the science class, if only one theory is taught then we’re teaching a religion. It is the religion of atheism.”
http://www.rawstory.com/2016/05/texas-t ... /comments/

Family Liberty Patriot

Post by Family Liberty Patriot » Sun May 22, 2016 5:00 pm

I just this morning listened to a superior episode of the fantastic podcast "Us & Them" about this unique American loon. Highly recommend it.
Executive summary: the host (Trey Kay) tried and tried to be sympathetic, to find some common ground with Bruner, but in hours of interviewing her, could not find a single thing that she said that was actually true. For myself, listening to her makes me stabby.

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - 2006)

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Sun May 22, 2016 5:08 pm

Stabby?

:fingerwag:

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sun May 22, 2016 5:12 pm

His voice makes me stabby. I'm sure he has a lot to say and I would probably enjoy reading a transcript of it, but I just cannot stand his voice! Maybe intonation would be a better word than voice. Whatever it is, about 3 minutes was all I could stand.

Family Liberty Patriot

Post by Family Liberty Patriot » Sun May 22, 2016 5:14 pm

Chilidog wrote:Stabby?

A colorful metaphor, of course, NADT.
Sugar Magnolia wrote:His voice makes me stabby. I'm sure he has a lot to say and I would probably enjoy reading a transcript of it, but I just cannot stand his voice! Maybe intonation would be a better word than voice. Whatever it is, about 3 minutes was all I could stand.
Are you referring to Trey Kay, Sugar? I thought his voice was wonderful. I am confused.

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sun May 22, 2016 5:55 pm

Family Liberty Patriot wrote:
Chilidog wrote:Stabby?

A colorful metaphor, of course, NADT.
Sugar Magnolia wrote:His voice makes me stabby. I'm sure he has a lot to say and I would probably enjoy reading a transcript of it, but I just cannot stand his voice! Maybe intonation would be a better word than voice. Whatever it is, about 3 minutes was all I could stand.
Are you referring to Trey Kay, Sugar? I thought his voice was wonderful. I am confused.
Yes, Trey the host. He sounds like he's talking to 3 year olds. There's just something about the cadence of his voice that doesn't sound natural to me, and it is incredibly grating to my ears.

Says the woman with a Southern accent that can be cut with a knife.

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Sun May 22, 2016 5:59 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:Says the woman with a mellifluous Southern accent that can be cut with a knife make even a California gay boi swoon.
FIFY :lovestruck:

Image Image Image Image Image

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sun May 22, 2016 6:03 pm

Estiveo wrote:
Sugar Magnolia wrote:Says the woman with a mellifluous Southern accent that can be cut with a knife make even a California gay boi swoon.
FIFY :lovestruck:
:)

Family Liberty Patriot

Post by Family Liberty Patriot » Sun May 22, 2016 6:09 pm

OK, I can see that. I listen to podcasts at 2.2X speed, so I usually experience voices differently from most people.
But that woman. Her voice is like nails on a chalkboard, to me. At any speed.

EDIT: Perhaps it's Trey fighting his WV accent.

Karen Walker

Post by Karen Walker » Thu May 26, 2016 1:38 am

:cheer1: :cheer: :cheer1:
Now Texas Schoolkids Will NEVER Learn What A Coked-Up Gay Whore Obama Is, Unfair!
By Evan Hurst

Texas kiddies, you have missed the opportunity of a lifetime. In a Republican runoff election for the state school board, voters had a simple choice: Keven Ellis, whom we’ll call “some guy,” and Mary Lou Bruner, that AMAZING East Texas lady who knows President Obama has a nasty coke habit that he pays for by sucking the D for cash money. She saw it on the internet!

But we guess the supposed grown-up voters of Texas don’t even care about their kids learning REAL KNOWLEDGE, because they voted for Some Guy on Tuesday, instead of Mary Lou! :point: What is this world coming to?

http://wonkette.com/602216/now-texas-sc ... -is-unfair

Return to “Governors & State Elections”