Michigan 8th

mimi

Michigan 8th

Post by mimi » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:19 am

Melissa Gilbert (Little Prayer on the Horsie Little House on the Prairie) is running for Congress. But she's off to a bumpy start.
Gilbert, who lives in Livingston County with her husband, actor Timothy Busfield, is running as a Democrat in a district that has been a Republican stronghold in recent elections: U.S. Rep. Mike Bishop, R-Rochester, won the race to replace former U.S. Rep. Mike Rogers, R-Howell, last year, beating Democrat Eric Schertzing, 54%-42%.
Gilbert, 51, has not held political office before but was president of the Screen Actors Guild from 2001 to 2005, serving two terms. An actress and director, she is a native of California and moved to Howell in 2013 after marrying Busfield, who is a native of East Lansing.

There are questions she will have to address, however. In June, the Daily Press & Argus in Livingston County reported that the IRS filed a lien against Gilbert, alleging she owes more than $360,000 in back taxes, a point that Michigan Republicans were quick to point out as she announced her campaign.

Bishop's campaign spokesman Stu Sandler sent out a statement saying Gilbert "can afford to have a stylist for her dog, but cannot pay her taxes. Her values are out of whack with the district.”

“The truth is I got caught in a perfect storm of financial difficulty, which is why I initiated a conversation with the IRS, told them I was having trouble and together we set up a payment plan," Gilbert said in a statement to the Free Press. Asked for additional details about the tax bill, a campaign spokesman declined, saying, "The statement is the statement."
more:
http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/2 ... /31424715/

I did not know she was married to Timothy Busfield (Thirty-Whiners Thirtysomething; West Wing; Field of Dreams), but mom's subscription to Star Magazine ran out many years ago.

Return to “U.S. House of Representatives”