2016 Fight for Senate Control

p0rtia

Re: 2016 Fight for Senate Control

Post by p0rtia » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:10 pm

esseff44 wrote:
Adrianinflorida wrote:Heard on MSNBC the shitty smear the Mark Kirk made against Tammy Duckworth last night in the Illinois Senate debate. She was talking about her father tracing his military roots back to the American Revolution . Kirk looked at the Thai born Duckworth and said "Gee, I didn't realise your family came over from Thailand to fight alongside General Washington "

Her mom is Thai her dad is American. Kirk is hopefully toast now
My understanding is that her mother is Chinese with Thai nationality. Tammy was born in Thailand and moved to the US with her family as a teenager. I wouldn't say it was a smear unless it smeared Kirk himself It was a cheap shot which backfired and he probably regrets. He is so far behind that it will not make a difference.
This falls into my favorite You Don't Understand My Sense of Humor category, along with a million other racist/sexist/looksist/ageist/religious-ist (?) etc. remarks/jokes that have been made with impunity since the dawn of time--until, one by one, individual societies decide, one by one, that they're just not acceptable.

That the speaker does not realize he is being racist/sexist, etc., does not for me mitigate the racism/sexism, etc. That's the point.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:41 pm

Missouri Senate race continues to be too close to call.

From Electoral Vote, the last 2 polls.
Missouri Jason Kander 46% Roy Blunt* 47% Oct 28 Oct 31 Monmouth U.
Missouri Jason Kander 51% Roy Blunt* 45% Oct 25 Oct 31 SurveyMonkey
The governor's race (much more important for someone actually living here*) is also too close to call.

This article in the Post Dispatch indicates that Trump is running better than either the Republican Senate or Republican Governor candidates, the opposite of most states. Worth noting that Blunt still supports Trump.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/govt ... 0c68e.html
Trump leads Clinton in Missouri in the Monmouth poll 52-38. The Post-Dispatch poll had Trump leading 47-42, a significantly closer race. :snippity:

In most states with Republican Senate incumbents, Trump is doing worse than those incumbents in polling, which is why some of those senators have viewed him as an anchor and disavowed him.

Blunt's situation is the reverse, with Trump polling at the same level or better than Blunt, and enjoying a far greater margin against his Democratic opponent. It has forced Blunt to aggressively campaign recently in his home-base region of southwestern Missouri, where Trump is significantly more popular than he is.

In Missouri's gubernatorial race, the Post-Dispatch poll put Democrat Chris Koster up 1 point over Republican Eric Greitens, 46-45, making it a statistical tie. The Monmouth poll found a literal tie, with the two candidates tied at 46 points each.
*If we don't have a Democratic governor to veto the stupidest of the Republican legislature's ideas, they might as well rename the state "East Kansas".
"Devin Nunes is having a cow over this."

-George Takei

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:45 pm

Dan1100 wrote:*If we don't have a Democratic governor to veto the stupidest of the Republican legislature's ideas, they might as well rename the state "East Kansas".
Or, "Western North Carolina." (Although that state's legislature seemed to override most of Gov. Bev Perdue's vetoes of their dumbest acts.)

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:53 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Dan1100 wrote:*If we don't have a Democratic governor to veto the stupidest of the Republican legislature's ideas, they might as well rename the state "East Kansas".
Or, "Western North Carolina." (Although that state's legislature seemed to override most of Gov. Bev Perdue's vetoes of their dumbest acts.)
We had a lot of overrides too, but the worst ones held up.

Except the gun law, which the veto got overridden. I only have 2 working guns and only 10 rounds or so of #8 birdshot, so I only have until January 1st to buy 3 more guns and at least 100 rounds of #2 buckshot or slugs.
"Devin Nunes is having a cow over this."

-George Takei

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:45 am

Bev Perdue, I've been told more than once, had to agree not to run for re-election in order to avoid federal prosecution. I don't know whether that's true, or even what the charges might have been. But there must be some reason why she plays no active role in the state party, and why her name is never mentioned in polite Democratic company. :blackeye:
Every locked door has a key. - Emika Chen

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:29 am

p0rtia wrote::clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I would pay real money to see Rubio get booted from the Senate.
No kidding, but they elected him in the first place and TX seems to have some real prizes elected that they keep re-electing.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:59 am

Notorial Dissent wrote:
p0rtia wrote::clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I would pay real money to see Rubio get booted from the Senate.
No kidding, but they elected him in the first place and TX seems to have some real prizes elected that they keep re-electing.
FL too also. ;)
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:32 am

Dan1100 wrote:
*If we don't have a Democratic governor to veto the stupidest of the Republican legislature's ideas, they might as well rename the state "East Kansas".
Actually, they have a democratic gov. now but there's a republican super majority in the lege so his vetoes keep getting over-ridden. They are determined to become East Kansas.
Goodwill has opened their Halloween Dept which makes it officially Halloween Season! :dance: ImageImageImage x4

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:10 pm

New Hampshire has elected Gov. Maggie Hassan to the Senate defeating Kelly Ayotte.

Dems 48 GOP 51 with Louisiana outstanding predicted to be the GOP candidate from the 11/8 primary.

tek

Post by tek » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:26 pm

Because ms.tek is currently a NH resident, she voted there.. with a fair amount of pressure from me to make sure she did.. (alright alright ALRIGHT I'll go register! sheesh!)

ms.tek was VERY active in women's issues in the 70s, but after living in MA for a couple decades got to the point where she was feeling her vote didn't count .. but her vote was one of the ~700 that flipped this NH seat.

both ms.tek and daughter.tek have now been re-energized about voting.

ms.tek and I were talking about this a few nights ago, and I don't really know where my passion about "gotta vote" comes from.
There's no way back
from there to here

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:43 pm

That makes 3 additional Dem women in the Senate=one from Nevada, one from Illinois (Obama's old seat) and now one more from NH. It's hard to believe Feingold and Bayh both lost after leading for so long in the (now discounted) polls. Kamala Harris will replace Barbara Boxer.

They will have their work cut out for them.

Return to “U.S. Senate”