2016 US Senate: California

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri May 15, 2015 8:22 am

And don't I remember he threw a right tantrum when he lost?

Actually, better than that. He swore up one wall and down the other that he only lost because of illegal immigrants voting. So they launched a huge congressional investigation to try to find some illegal immigrants who had voted for Loretta (or voted at all, really; it was assumed if they had voted, they had voted for her). Dornan was sure that thousands of illegales had voted for her, but they spent about a million bux, and they couldn't find enough questionable votes to overturn the result, so she took office.

But my favorite Dornan story is from 8 years before that, involving his wife, Sallie. A gay activist named Jeff LeTourneau was heckling her husband so she screamed "SHUT UP, FAG!"

She later tearfully apologized.

She later told the approximately 200 people who were at the meeting that her outburst was motivated by anger and concern over her brother, who she said was gay and had contracted AIDS.

"My brother is dying," an emotional Sallie Dornan told the forum.

Moments later, shouting at LeTourneau about "safe sex," she said, apparently referring to her brother: "He told me. He tells me every day. The thinner he gets and the more sores he's covered with."

OMG, that was so sad. NO WONDER SHE CALLED HIM A FAG, GUYS. HER BROTHER WAS DYING OF AIDS! That's about as real as real gets.

Well, except for a couple things that came out in the next couple days.

But the brother, Douglas Richard Hansen, 51, a landscape architect in San Diego, since has told The Times he is not gay, does not have AIDS and has seen his sister only once since their mother's funeral in 1983.

"I'm a healthy 51," said Hansen, who had no visible signs of any illness.

So, the question was out there -- WHY did she think her brother was gay, and WHY did she think he'd gotten AIDS, and WHY did she tell a crowd of 200 people that "He tells me every day" when the truth was, she hadn't talked to him at all for more than five years, and when she had talked to him, he hadn't told her he was gay or nothin', and WHY did she say he was thin and covered with sores when he was a strapping young healthy man of 51 who worked outdoors every dang day?

:confuzzled:

Her brother explained that he had some gay friends, so Bob Dornan turned his own sister against him, and she went along with it for the sake of her marriage to the freak.

Good times in Orange County!! :rockon:
Every locked door has a key. - Emika Chen

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Fri May 15, 2015 10:43 am

Bob Dornan offended a lot of people and often made the news with his racist, sexist name-calling.

He was re-elected twice. He was such an unswerving advocate for the development of the B-1 bomber, that he was soon nicknamed "B-1 Bob

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Dornan

Granted, Sanchez is better as a Rep than Bob Dornan, but that's a mighty low standard. He was close to certifiable as a mental case. Of course, among the RWNJ's we have in the legislatures and Congress now, he would probably not stand out.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri May 15, 2015 10:56 am

Of course, among the RWNJ's we have in the legislatures and Congress now, he would probably not stand out.

I know, right? That is AWESOME, if you think about it. He was a loonytoon groundbreaker!
Every locked door has a key. - Emika Chen

Family Liberty Patriot

Post by Family Liberty Patriot » Sun May 17, 2015 7:35 pm

Oh, look, Loretta Sanchez decided to illustrate :sterngard: 's point by being very stupid indeed.
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - 2006)

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sun May 17, 2015 8:08 pm

:lol: Sanchez won't last long in the big leagues.

BillTheCat

Post by BillTheCat » Mon May 18, 2015 2:20 pm

:lol: Sanchez won't last long in the big leagues.

Newp, she won't.
'But I don't want to go among mad people,' said Alice. 'Oh, you can't help that,' said the cat. 'We're all mad here.'
-Lewis Carroll

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon May 18, 2015 3:23 pm

These slip ups by many political candidates are fascinating windows into their minds. Sanchez's paternalistic and condescending views about indigenous Americans is revealed in a moment. The confusion of Republican candidates in grappling with the Iraq War questions shows they know nothing about international politics or the weighty decisions a President must make. And their calculation in extending and revising their remarks shows they are trying to please the lowest common denominators in their party.

June bug

Post by June bug » Mon May 18, 2015 5:11 pm

She [Sanchez} told reporters after the talk that American Indians have a “great presence in our country and many of them are supporting our election,” the Associated Press reported.

'Nuff said.

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Mon May 18, 2015 5:12 pm

Her very announcement that she was running for the Senate was heavy on identity politics. She was going for a dog whistle, wanting to let people know that not all the East Indian Americans are going to support Kamala Harris. But it backfired. As for the Native Americans, are they really so outraged or shocked? More than the chants at Atlanta Braves games? the Florida Seminole Games? at Redskins games? What if they all are so offended that not one votes for Sanchez. what percentage of the state voters are we talking about? I'm trying to find a number, but I expect it to be less that 2% and probably less than 1%.

Hispanics make up about a third of the adult population but only about 15-17% of likely voters and they are not all Democratic voters.

East Indian voters make up a very small percentage of likely voters (less than 1%) .but are able to raise large sums of money for both parties' candidates.

http://www.nfia.net/press.html

This group went all in for Jindal. :sick:

I wish we knew more about the person that Loretta was meeting with and why she though it went so well.

Kamala plays the identity politics game, too. But she's much more polished and subtle about it.

ETA:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/gautam-du ... 47292.html

The author of the piece seems to think she is much too subtle about it. I would be will to bet that almost every Asian Indian American is aware of Kamala Harris' mixed heritage. Where the author goes astray is grouping all Asian Americans together when there is no clear common denominator other than geography.

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Mon May 18, 2015 6:01 pm

http://www.latimes.com/local/political/ ... story.html

The person at the event who caught Loretta Sanchez' gaff has been an Kamala Harris supporter in the past but he says he did not go to the event as a plant for her campaign and that he just went there to meet a friend. :rolleyes: Sure, of course, that's why he was there.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon May 18, 2015 7:18 pm

She [Sanchez} told reporters after the talk that American Indians have a “great presence in our country and many of them are supporting our election,” the Associated Press reported.

'Nuff said.

Yeah. Some of her best friends have smoked a peace pipe with her in a Teepee.

Moran. I'm grateful she knocked of B1 Bob. But now she's a waste of space in Congress.

bob

Post by bob » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:43 pm

Tan, rested, and ready!!!:You might be interested in this letter from the editor of Westminster HeraldAttached is a letter from Lloyd Thomas, the owner/operator publisher/editor of the Westminster Herald, who gleefully informs Taitz how to get the contact information for every newspaper in the Unted States!   And also includes a five-year-old article from the P&E!http://www.orlytaitzesq.com/you-might-b ... er-herald/ http://www.orlytaitzesq.com/wp-contenth ... Herald.pdf
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Piffle

Post by Piffle » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:51 pm

Hey, that looks like a dandy newspaper. And the best part is: They cheerfully accept Visa, MasterCard, Cash, Checks and PayPal.

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:03 pm

Hey, that looks like a dandy newspaper. And the best part is: They cheerfully accept Visa, MasterCard, Cash, Checks and PayPal.​Dandy and well-suited to a century or more ago.   The newspaper shop was used as a setting for Sweet Dreams, the Patsy Cline bio-pic. http://articles.latimes.com/1985-01-12/ ... eet-dreams

Family Liberty Patriot

Post by Family Liberty Patriot » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:29 pm

Your words are strange to me. What does it mean, "newspaper?"
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

SuzieC
Occupation: Attorney since 1977. Litigator for 33 years. For 8 years so far Admin Law Judge for 3 state agencies.

Re: 2016 US Senate: California

Post by SuzieC » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:45 pm

http://www.politicususa.com/2015/09/14/ ... rcent.html

No GOP candidate in sight. Time for Orly to jump in!

bob

Post by bob » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:58 pm

The California Senate race already appears to be shaping up as a run off between [Kamala] Harris and [Loretta] Sanchez
:o

Family Liberty Patriot

Post by Family Liberty Patriot » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:05 pm

So Sanchez is effectively putting her House seat (in Orange County!) into play to run for a Senate seat the Dems are guaranteed to win and she is guaranteed to lose. Fucking brilliant.

June bug

Post by June bug » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:09 am

:yeah: :cussing:

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:21 pm

Sanchez was never known for her intelligence. Wasn't elected for that reason, either.

bob

Post by bob » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:38 pm

1. Sanchez also said she was going to run for governor in 2014; she didn't.
2. Sanchez could try to pull a Ryan and simultaneously run for seats in both chambers.
3. (Assuming she's serious) Sanchez actually announced in May, giving the party a reasonable 18 months to groom her replacement. Current declared candidates for her seat are Lou Correa, Jordan Brandman, and Joe Dunn (all democrats).

Family Liberty Patriot

Post by Family Liberty Patriot » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:11 pm

Thank you, bob; you set my mind at ease in that respect.

vic

Post by vic » Sat May 07, 2016 12:59 am

Got an email today from the L A County Registrar telling me that my June sample ballot was available for download.

There has been some news earlier about the possible confusion in the U S Senate primary - there are 34 candidates, so the L A County ballot requires two pages (there's a punch card which lines up with the names on the ballot).

Well, in attempting to warn the folks about this, they've made it a little more confusing. I extracted the relevant pages from the PDF, but it's 1.5 MB, so I'm sharing it in my dropbox: Sample Ballot - U S Senate

Between pages 3 and 4 there's a page which says "There are 34 candidates for United States Senator listed on two pages
Review both pages before making selection" and has a reduced image of pages 4 and 5. But it isn't showing pages 4 and 5; the candidates are randomly ordered for each precinct, so the order, and punch numbers, on that page don't match the actual pages.

Return to “U.S. Senate”