2016 US Senate: Illinois

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Wed May 28, 2014 5:35 pm

Election day 2014 is months away but Sen Mark Kirk (R-IL) has already begun his re-election effort.Sen. Mark Kirk is planning to run for re-election in 2016, despite suffering a stroke two years ago that left him partially paralyzed.In order to set the stage for his re-election effort, Kirk, 54, plans to start early with media and personal appearances statewide designed to show that he is still up to the task of representing his constituents even though he uses wheelchair or cane now and has less stamina than when he defeated Democrat Alexi Giannoulias in 2010.[/break1]newsmax.com/Politics/kirk-senate-re-election/2014/01/27/id/549166/]http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/kirk-se ... id/549166/It’s unclear whether Democrats will choose to run a top candidate in what’s expected to be a highly contested race, but names often mentioned for statewide runs include Rep. Tammy Duckworth and Attorney General Lisa Madigan — who declined to run against Kirk in 2010. The Illinois congressional delegation is also packed with young Democrats, such as Cheri Bustos, Robin Kelly and Mike Quigley.[/break1]rollcall.com/news/kirks_next_challenge_re_election_in_2016-230378-1.html?pg=3&dczone=politics]http://www.rollcall.com/news/kirks_next ... e=politics -xx

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed May 28, 2014 6:26 pm

Will Rod Blagojevich be available?

SPen

Post by SPen » Wed May 28, 2014 9:27 pm

Just that little blurb reminds me how far in quality Roll Call has fallen. The Democrats will OBVIOUSLY run a top-tier candidate in this race in 2016 because it easily represents our best pickup opportunity. Many people speculate that Madigan passed on primarying Governor Pat Quinn this year so that she could take on Kirk in a slam-dunk presidential year contest for his Senate seat and I'm pretty sure that's the case. She's by far and away the top prospect and the party definitely wants her to run. Duckworth while notable is not a top-tier candidate yet. Kelly comes from a D+29 district and may be too liberal even for Illinois to take on Kirk who is undeserving of the moderate profile he has in the Senate. Rep. Shakowski is much better known and represents a district half as Democratic as Kelly's, she's probably the 2nd option behind Madigan but she's already 70 years old. Rep. Bustos is only 52 and represents a somewhat-competitive district but she was elected for the first time in 2012. She's a very appealing prospect but the party would probably be better off saving her for 2018 when they'll need a new gubernatorial candidate or 2020 when they could need a replacement for Durbin (he'll be 75 in 2020). Bustos is probably the 3rd option with Duckworth at 4th. The rest of the delegation is probably a little weaker than Shakowski but they're all younger and represent less-Democratic districts. Rep. Schneider could want to move up to the Senate and he's only 52. Rep. Quigley is only 55 I believe, and Rep. Foster is 58. If Rep. Enyart can win reelection soundly this year in a tough district he might look to move up as well, but he's a little older at 64.

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Wed May 28, 2014 10:59 pm

Congresswoman Jan Schakowsky is 70 y.o. (by just 2 days) but she does not look it as far as I can see. I thought she was more like late 50's or early 60's. She comes across as being very sharp and able, IMHO.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu May 29, 2014 12:06 am

70 is the new 40.
► Show Spoiler

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Thu May 29, 2014 12:08 am

70 is the new 40.
► Show Spoiler
960 is the new 420.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu May 29, 2014 12:19 am

:shock: :swoon:

magdalen77

Post by magdalen77 » Thu May 29, 2014 9:30 am

Just that little blurb reminds me how far in quality Roll Call has fallen. The Democrats will OBVIOUSLY run a top-tier candidate in this race in 2016 because it easily represents our best pickup opportunity. Many people speculate that Madigan passed on primarying Governor Pat Quinn this year so that she could take on Kirk in a slam-dunk presidential year contest for his Senate seat and I'm pretty sure that's the case. She's by far and away the top prospect and the party definitely wants her to run. Duckworth while notable is not a top-tier candidate yet. Kelly comes from a D+29 district and may be too liberal even for Illinois to take on Kirk who is undeserving of the moderate profile he has in the Senate. Rep. Shakowski is much better known and represents a district half as Democratic as Kelly's, she's probably the 2nd option behind Madigan but she's already 70 years old. Rep. Bustos is only 52 and represents a somewhat-competitive district but she was elected for the first time in 2012. She's a very appealing prospect but the party would probably be better off saving her for 2018 when they'll need a new gubernatorial candidate or 2020 when they could need a replacement for Durbin (he'll be 75 in 2020). Bustos is probably the 3rd option with Duckworth at 4th. The rest of the delegation is probably a little weaker than Shakowski but they're all younger and represent less-Democratic districts. Rep. Schneider could want to move up to the Senate and he's only 52. Rep. Quigley is only 55 I believe, and Rep. Foster is 58. If Rep. Enyart can win reelection soundly this year in a tough district he might look to move up as well, but he's a little older at 64.I like Lisa Madigan. When I was trying to get old and invalid collection accounts off my credit reports telling these junk debt collectors that you were reporting them to the IL AG was pretty much a guarantee that they'd remove that bogus account as fast as their little fingers could type. She really put the fear of God into those people and made sure they abided by the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and the IL version thereof.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:50 pm

Political Wire

Duckworth Will Run for U.S. Senate

Rep. Tammy Duckworth (D-IL) will announce a 2016 Senate bid likely on Monday, the Chicago Sun-Times reports.

“She is aiming to win the Democratic nomination to run against Sen. Mark Kirk, R-Ill.

Democracy is a garden that has to be tended. -Barack Obama

Return to “U.S. Senate”