CIA assessment: Russia tried to help Trump win & Senate knew it

Addie

Re: CIA assessment: Russia tried to help Trump win & Senate knew it

Post #576 by Addie » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:25 pm

Bloomberg

Behind Trump’s Russia Romance, There’s a Tower Full of Oligarchs

On the 78th floor: a Russian who once was accused of mob ties and extortion by an oligarch. On the 79th, an Uzbek jeweler investigated for money laundering who was eventually executed on the street in Manhattan. And four floors higher, a pro-Moscow Ukrainian politician whose party hired a Donald Trump adviser.

When Trump World Tower at 845 United Nations Plaza began construction two decades ago as the tallest residential building in the country (90 stories), its most expensive floors attracted wealthy people getting their money out of what had been the Soviet Union. Trump needed the big spenders. He was renegotiating $1.8 billion in junk bonds for his Atlantic City resorts, and the tower was built on a mountain of debt owed to German banks. As Trump wrote in The Art of the Comeback, “It crushed my ego, my pride, to go hat in hand to the bankers.”

Trump’s soft spot for Russia is an ongoing mystery, and the large number of condominium sales he made to people with ties to former Soviet republics may offer clues. “We had big buyers from Russia and Ukraine and Kazakhstan,” says Debra Stotts, a sales agent who filled up the tower. The very top floors went unsold for years, but a third of units sold on floors 76 through 83 by 2004 involved people or limited liability companies connected to Russia and neighboring states, a Bloomberg investigation shows. The reporting involved more than two dozen interviews and a review of hundreds of public records filed in New York.

The 1990s were a sobering period for Trump, and it’s noteworthy that among those who helped him exit the decade are people to whom he’s shown deep loyalty. Presidential counselor Kellyanne Conway and Michael Cohen, his personal lawyer, bought units. Cohen got his Ukrainian in-laws to buy, too. Most of the units were bought before the tower was built, and prices weren’t disclosed. Trump World Tower ended up as a model for future developments—with money drawn from sales in Moscow.

Two months before Trump broke ground in October 1998, Russia defaulted on $40 billion in domestic debt, the ruble plummeted, and some of the biggest banks started to collapse. Millionaires scrambled to get their money out and into New York. Real estate provides a safe haven for overseas investors. It has few reporting requirements and is a preferred way to move cash of questionable provenance. Amid the turmoil, buyers found a dearth of available projects. Trump World Tower, opened in 2001, became a prominent depository of Russian money.

¡Qué vergüenza!

MsDaisy

Post #577 by MsDaisy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:28 am

Trump REALLY wants the Russian stories and investigations to go away. This morning’s tweets

Donald J Trump @realDonaldTrump
The real story that Congress, the FBI and all others should be looking into is the leaking of Classified information. Must find leaker now!
4:02 AM - 20 Mar 2017

The Democrats made up and pushed the Russian story as an excuse for running a terrible campaign. Big advantage in Electoral College & lost!
3:49 AM - 20 Mar 2017

James Clapper and others stated that there is no evidence Potus colluded with Russia. This story is FAKE NEWS and everyone knows it!3:35 AM - 20 Mar 2017

No evidence YET :roll:

Birfers are toast

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post #578 by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:06 am

MsDaisy wrote:Trump REALLY wants the Russian stories and investigations to go away. This morning’s tweets

The real story that Congress, the FBI and all others should be looking into is the leaking of Classified information. Must find leaker now!
4:02 AM - 20 Mar 2017

The Democrats made up and pushed the Russian story as an excuse for running a terrible campaign. Big advantage in Electoral College & lost!
3:49 AM - 20 Mar 2017

James Clapper and others stated that there is no evidence Potus colluded with Russia. This story is FAKE NEWS and everyone knows it!3:35 AM - 20 Mar 2017

No evidence YET :roll:

That's not what Clapper said. If you use reverse theory in that teh Donald says the opposite of what is actually happening, then there is proof he colluded. Why else would Feinstein and Grassley look so shocked and stunned?

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

SueDB

Post #579 by SueDB » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:52 pm

And 45 lies all the time. Whatever he sez -the opposite is true.

#Truckfump

“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with assholes.”
? William Gibson

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

MN-Skeptic

Post #580 by MN-Skeptic » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:08 pm

SueDB wrote:And 45 lies all the time. Whatever he sez -the opposite is true.

#Truckfump

Likewise whatever he accuses the opposition of doing is exactly what he is guilty of. Or will be guilty of. Or would be guilty of if he could figure out how to do it.

Addie

Post #581 by Addie » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:13 pm

I wasn't able to watch the hearing today. I'm going to drop a few links here of stuff I want to read later, when I don't have a headache.

WIRED: The FBI Has Been Investigating Trump’s Russia Ties Since July

Politico: Spicer says Manafort played a 'very limited role' in the campaign

Reuters: FBI's Comey denies Trump wiretap claim, confirms Russia probe

The Atlantic: It's Official: The FBI Is Investigating Trump's Links to Russia

New York Daily News - Editorial: Comey, Rogers and the truth that Trump refuses to admit: What the FBI and NSA directors revealed about the President

VOX: The president’s official Twitter account is spreading falsehoods about the Comey hearing

AP: Analysis: Reality catching up with Trump on Russia

AXIOS: Everything we learned at today's House hearing on Russia

Politico: Manafort sought for questioning – in D.C. and Kiev

HuffPo: The Trump-Russia Story Has Only Just Begun (To Explode)

NBC News: Comey Disclosures Leave Trump Alone On Island of Conspiracy Theories

WaPo: Full transcript: FBI Director James Comey testifies on Russian interference in 2016 election

¡Qué vergüenza!

RVInit

Post #582 by RVInit » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:31 pm

I have been listening to it, but taking care of my mother and getting interrupted way too often. But from what I heard the Republicans on the committee are doing their best to minimize anything that might have been done by anyone in the Trump campaign. Democrats seem to be advocating for the truth to come out, whatever it may be. Goudy was his typical a-hole self, but admittedly I was interrupted during some of his spewing, so I didn't hear all of it. That may be a good thing, preventing me from whacking my computer monitor in an effort to shut him the eff up.

Schiff was very effective. One thing he asked for - Flynn's application for security clearance. Hooboy, that might start something. :boxing:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

NMgirl

Post #583 by NMgirl » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:34 pm

Is it paranoid/delusional/conspiracy theory-like-chemtrails-idiocy to fear that 45 will start a war, or take some kind of extreme military action, to draw attention away from investigations of himself and his closest associates?

Answers in the affirmative would be greatly appreciated.

June bug

Post #584 by June bug » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:41 pm

Ala "Primary Colors"?

NMgirl

Post #585 by NMgirl » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:59 pm

June bug wrote:Ala "Primary Colors"?

If I'm paranoid, perhaps I'm at least in good company? If not perfectly in point, at least ballpark?

Paul Krugman‏Verified account
@paulkrugman

To reinforce my point: what if the man who does something like this wants to take us to war?

RoadScholar

Post #586 by RoadScholar » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:48 pm

NMgirl, I for one think he's capable of it. Sadly.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post #587 by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:52 pm

As I told clients, it's possible. The real question is whether it's probable.

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

p0rtia

Post #588 by p0rtia » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:56 pm

NMgirl wrote:Is it paranoid/delusional/conspiracy theory-like-chemtrails-idiocy to fear that 45 will start a war, or take some kind of extreme military action, to draw attention away from investigations of himself and his closest associates?

Answers in the affirmative would be greatly appreciated.

No. It appears to me to be a logical progression for a snake (apologies to snakes) who will go to any extreme to avoid taking responsibility for his lies, ignorance, and incompetence.

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:

RVInit

Post #589 by RVInit » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:09 pm

I also believe Trump would have no problem doing that very thing. I don't detect any sense of ethics, decency, honesty, or integrity in him.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

Addie

Post #590 by Addie » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:14 pm

McClatchy

FBI’s Russian-influence probe includes a look at far-right news sites

WASHINGTON

Federal investigators are examining whether far-right news sites played any role last year in a Russian cyber operation that dramatically widened the reach of news stories — some fictional — that favored Donald Trump’s presidential bid, two people familiar with the inquiry say.

Operatives for Russia appear to have strategically timed the computer commands, known as “bots,” to blitz social media with links to the pro-Trump stories at times when the billionaire businessman was on the defensive in his race against Democrat Hillary Clinton, these sources said.

The bots’ end products were largely millions of Twitter and Facebook posts carrying links to stories on conservative internet sites such as Breitbart News and InfoWars, as well as on the Kremlin-backed RT News and Sputnik News, the sources said. Some of the stories were false or mixed fact and fiction, said the sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the bot attacks are part of an FBI-led investigation into a multifaceted Russian operation to influence last year’s elections.

Investigators examining the bot attacks are exploring whether the far-right news operations took any actions to assist Russia’s operatives. Their participation, however, wasn’t necessary for the bots to amplify their news through Twitter and Facebook.

The investigation of the bot-engineered traffic, which appears to be in its early stages, is being driven by the FBI’s Counterintelligence Division, whose inquiries rarely result in criminal charges and whose main task has been to reconstruct the nature of the Kremlin’s cyber attack and determine ways to prevent another.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Skip Intro

Post #591 by Skip Intro » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:23 pm

First comments on this story, in order.

Jose Yates
It's hard to define fake news. The context here is news the democrats don't like. When the msm keep pushing a narrative that portrays Trump negatively, such as calling him an isolationist that's fake news. Improving bad and obsolete trade deals does not make Trump an isolationist, it makes him a progressive force for the American people. So every smear that Trump is an isolationist is fake news. The main stream media keeps calling Trump thin skinned, Trump is NOT thin skinned he's combative, by definition he is nothing like thin skinned, it fits the media though because being thin skinned is weak, being combative is strong. Calling Trump thin skinned is FAKE news and the media knows it.
Like · Reply · 3 mins

Peg Conroy · Newburgh, New York
This is just hilarious. Breitbart News (the only one mentioned in the piece that I read, but I read the site itself, not bot postings on FB or Twitter) spreading "false or mixed fact or fiction"??? HARDLY. Breitbart knows any slight misstep or slip-up and they would trumpeted around the globe as false. And this, as opposed to non-bot TRULY Fake News from ALL corporate media sites,including McClatchy here, itself?? Oh, this is rich. These Fake News idiots are simply deranged by the thought of Russians, and simply cannot accept that President Trump won.

My gosh what a trove of swill and bullcr@p this site and all its corporate brethren are!
Like · Reply · 3 mins

John Zoslocki · University of Idaho
After watching Comey today folks it is clear to me (just as I preicted Trump would win, after the first GOP debate) that Comey is the snake in the grass...Think about it, he stated over and over today he could not comment on ongoing investigations. That held true unless the question was about Hillary, the DNC and the Russians to which he stated he could comment. Amazing. Someone needed to ask Comey why the DNC didn't allow the FBI to protect the DNC computer networks....which were hacked, while the GOP allow the FBI to propect the GOP computers which were not hacked. What were the democrats hiding??? That is the real question!!
Like · Reply · 1 · 3 mins

Gwen Kienholz · Minnesota State University, Mankato
Who is leaking and is your source? We can't trust these so-called sources as Comey said today that many of the sources are wrong. Who are and were the leakers that is more important. The voting machines weren't hacked. Podesta let himself get hacked by his incompetance on a computer.
Like · Reply · 1 · 3 mins

Amy James
You quoted almost all of the main pedos exposed in Wikileaks. Great job!
Like · Reply · 6 mins

Gary Driscoll
Breitbart readers are being investigated as bots by the Obama FBI (still activ e).

Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it

MsDaisy

Post #592 by MsDaisy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:40 pm

Addie wrote:I wasn't able to watch the hearing today. I'm going to drop a few links here of stuff I want to read later, when I don't have a headache.
:snippity:
New York Daily News - Editorial: Comey, Rogers and the truth that Trump refuses to admit: What the FBI and NSA directors revealed about the President

Still catching up but from this article

Republicans appeared unperturbed that those unauthorized disclosures exposed potentially illegal conduct. Their scrutiny was aimed solely at whomever revealed the vital information— revelations without which Flynn would still sitting at the heart of power, guiding the President on matters of war and peace.

I’ve been noticing this fairly frequently in the news from republicans and it’s worrying me. Even calls to lie detect people if necessary to find the leaker. Do they know something that they’re terrified will be discovered, something they “think” they can handle quietly behind closed doors? :think:

Birfers are toast

Dolly

Post #593 by Dolly » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:48 pm

MsDaisy wrote:.............
I’ve been noticing this fairly frequently in the news from republicans and it’s worrying me. Even calls to lie detect people if necessary to find the leaker. Do they know something that they’re terrified will be discovered, something they “think” they can handle quietly behind closed doors? :think:

Fox & Friends
March 15 at 3:33am ·
Laura Ingraham: Those with access to classified information need to be brought by the Trump administration and given a lie detector test

https://www.facebook.com/foxandfriends/ ... 232692736/

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

pipistrelle

Post #594 by pipistrelle » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:52 pm

MsDaisy wrote:
Addie wrote:I wasn't able to watch the hearing today. I'm going to drop a few links here of stuff I want to read later, when I don't have a headache.

Still catching up but from this article

Republicans appeared unperturbed that those unauthorized disclosures exposed potentially illegal conduct. Their scrutiny was aimed solely at whomever revealed the vital information— revelations without which Flynn would still sitting at the heart of power, guiding the President on matters of war and peace.

I dunno, but it seemed comments on Twitter were not favorable to the administration today for the most part. Even from a few Republicans.

Sluffy1

Post #595 by Sluffy1 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:19 pm

RVInit wrote:Schiff was very effective.

I sure thought so. He nailed the timeline in his opening statement.Read Rep. Adam Schiff's Opening Statement on Russian Meddling in the Election

Slim Cognito

Post #596 by Slim Cognito » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:30 am

Addie wrote:McClatchy

FBI’s Russian-influence probe includes a look at far-right news sites

WASHINGTON

Federal investigators are examining whether far-right news sites played any role last year in a Russian cyber operation that dramatically widened the reach of news stories — some fictional — that favored Donald Trump’s presidential bid, two people familiar with the inquiry say.

That sounds like a gravy gig.

Addie

Post #597 by Addie » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:39 pm

Mother Jones

Here's the Democrats' Best Case for a Trump-Russia Investigation

At the start of Monday's hearing on Russian interference in the 2016 US presidential election, Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Calif.), the ranking Democrat on the House intelligence committee, laid out why the hearing was so important.

Schiff, a former federal prosecutor, offered a detailed timeline of Russia's role in the election during a 15-minute opening statement ahead of the committee's questioning of FBI Director James Comey and National Security Agency Director Mike Rogers. The American public will never know whether Russian meddling swung the election, Schiff said, but there are some things that are known that deserve further exploration.

"What was happening in July/August of last year? And were US persons involved?"

"We do know this: The months of July and August 2016 appear to have been pivotal," Schiff said. "It was at this time that the Russians began using the information they had stolen to help Donald Trump and harm Hillary Clinton. And so the question is why? What was happening in July/August of last year? And were US persons involved?"

Schiff laid out details from the series of memos authored by a former Western intelligence operative detailing possible collusion between the Trump campaign and Russian intelligence. He highlighted the behavior of former Trump campaign national security adviser Carter Page, who reportedly traveled to Moscow on what Schiff described as a "trip approved by the Trump campaign" and met with the CEO of a Russian corporation who is reportedly a "former KGB agent and close friend" of Russian President Vladimir Putin. Schiff also pointed to allegations in the memos that the Trump campaign was offered documents damaging to Hillary Clinton in exchange for, as Schiff put it, "a Trump Administration policy that de-emphasizes Russia's invasion of Ukraine and instead focuses on NATO countries not paying their fair share—policies which, even as recently as the President's meeting last week with Angela Merkel, have now presciently come to pass."

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post #598 by Addie » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:19 pm

Salon

Who’s under investigation in the current White House? Devin Nunes seems to know ...

Meanwhile, lost in Monday’s headlines was a huge revelation aired during “Fox News Sunday” when the Republican chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, Rep. Devin Nunes, may have inadvertently revealed that a current member of the Trump White House is being investigated and is perhaps the target of surveillance by one or more U.S. intelligence agencies.

Chris Wallace: Is [there] any surveillance of people in Trump world or do we think there was surveillance of other people like [Russia’s] Ambassador Kislyak, and that these folks who were talking with him were incidentally swept up in the conversation in the intercepts?

Nunes: Well, if you look at the folks that are working at the White House, uh, today that are involved in the Trump — in the Trump administration, I don’t think there’s any but one there that’s under any type of investigation or surveillance activities at all.

The important phrase here is “but one.” Nunes seemed to be saying that there’s one member of the current Trump White House “today ” who is being investigated and surveilled. Specifying “today” while noting the target of the investigation is “working at the White House now” would seem to indicate that it’s not the obvious name from the rogue’s gallery, Michael Flynn, who was fired in February. Absent Flynn, Nunes suggested there’s someone else — now, today.

So the obvious question is, Who is it?

¡Qué vergüenza!

SueDB

Post #599 by SueDB » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:39 pm

I would say that it's The Moran, but he hasn't worked a day since 20Jan.

“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with assholes.”
? William Gibson

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

Addie

Post #600 by Addie » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:56 pm

MSNBC - Steve Benen

Reince Priebus’ FBI contacts suddenly look even worse ...

Based on what we now know, the White House chief of staff improperly communicated with a leading FBI official while an FBI counter-intelligence investigation into the Trump campaign was already underway. Priebus hoped to get the FBI’s help in knocking down reports of a scandal while the FBI was reviewing that scandal.

None of this requires any supposition. We now know the FBI investigation is real and confirmed; we know Priebus had improper communications with the FBI about the investigation while it was ongoing.

Boston Globe columnist Michael Cohen added this morning that Priebus, confronted with last month’s reports, claimed that the FBI reached out to him, claims that were dubious at the time, but which now appear even worse. Why would the FBI want the White House’s help downplaying its own ongoing counter-intelligence probe?

What the White House intends to do about this remains an open question.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Return to “Presidential Election”