CIA assessment: Russia helped Trump win & Senate knew it

Mikedunford

Re: CIA assessment: Russia tried to help Trump win & Senate knew it

Post by Mikedunford » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:38 pm

Sessions speaks, while underpaid young interns in newsrooms around the globe frantically scour the Congressional Record and their own archives for every word Beauregard ever said when on the floor or near a microphone during the Clinton impeachment shenanigans.
1 Cranch 137, 177

Lani

Post by Lani » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:40 pm

There currently isn't a deputy attorney general, so it will be interesting to see who gets the job.
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:43 pm

Dan1100 wrote:
Volkonski wrote:
Mikedunford wrote:
Unless he's resigning - and you don't generally hold a press conference to resign - this could be the dumbest possible thing for him to do right now.
He has recused himself.
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/j ... act-235604

Sessions recuses himself from Russia probe
The attorney general is removing himself from any DOJ probes related to the presidential campaigns.
So, I take that now it is up to the Acting Deputy Attorney General to decide whether there will be a Special Prosecutor? Mike D?
I expected that he would announce his recusal. But still a really, really bad idea to do it at a press conference. He should be lawyering up and shutting up right now, not taking questions. At least if he was smart.

No idea what the process is for appointing special prosecutors. But there will probably be one by the end of the month. And probably an inquiry by the DoJ Office of Professional Responsibility- which has a well-earned reputation for having even less of a sense of humour than the FBI.
1 Cranch 137, 177

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:56 pm

From the plain language of the statement, I think that it would now be up to the Action Deputy Atty Gen'l, Dane Boente, whether to appoint a special prosecutor.

Here is some info on Dane (who names their kid Dane?) https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/31/us/p ... cting.html
sessions_statement2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Let's say you're on trial for armed robbery. You say to the judge, 'I forgot armed robbery was illegal.' "

-Steve Martin

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:40 pm

A while back I came across this article published on 12/19/16 and it looked really interesting but was a seriously long-winded buggar and I didn’t have time to read at the time. Plus when you click on the link you see a “This is your free article this month” notice, so I copied the whole thing to a document and saved it for later, but forgot about it until I found it in a folder today. OMG It’s like a mother load of who’s who in the massive mangle tangle of Trump and “Russian mobsters, oligarchs, fraudsters and kleptocrats”. There is way too much for one sitting but it’s worth a read. I’m not even half way through yet.

It opens…

The Curious World of Donald Trump’s Private Russian Connections
JAMES S. HENRY

Even before the November 8 election, many leading Democrats were vociferously demanding that the FBI disclose the fruits of its investigations into Putin-backed Russian hackers. Instead FBI Director Comey decided to temporarily revive his zombie-like investigation of Hillary’s emails. That decision may well have had an important impact on the election, but it did nothing to resolve the allegations about Putin. Even now, after the CIA has disclosed an abstract of its own still-secret investigation, it is fair to say that we still lack the cyberspace equivalent of a smoking gun.

Fortunately, however, for those of us who are curious about Trump’s Russian connections, there is another readily accessible body of material that has so far received surprisingly little attention. This suggests that whatever the nature of President-elect Donald Trump’s relationship with President Putin, he has certainly managed to accumulate direct and indirect connections with a far-flung private Russian/FSU network of outright mobsters, oligarchs, fraudsters, and kleptocrats.

Any one of these connections might have occurred at random. But the overall pattern is a veritable Star Wars bar scene of unsavory characters, with Donald Trump seated right in the middle. The analytical challenge is to map this network—a task that most journalists and law enforcement agencies, focused on individual cases, have failed to do.
Of course, to label this network “private” may be a stretch, given that in Putin’s Russia, even the toughest mobsters learn the hard way to maintain a respectful relationship with the “New Tsar.” But here the central question pertains to our new Tsar. Did the American people really know they were putting such a “well-connected” guy in the White House?

Snip

A few of Donald Trump’s connections to oligarchs and assorted thugs have already received sporadic press attention—for example, former Trump campaign manager Paul Manafort’s reported relationship with exiled Ukrainian oligarch Dmytro Firtash. But no one has pulled the connections together, used them to identify still more relationships, and developed an image of the overall patterns.
http://www.the-american-interest.com/20 ... nnections/
Birfers are toast

tek

Post by tek » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:45 pm

So, if I heard correctly in the Sessions press conference, he said he had talked to the Ukranian ambassador the day before, and the Russian ambassador got agitated in the meeting in question when the things the Ukranians said came up.

WTF was Sessions doing? Logan act?
We are so far down the rabbit hole..

Skip Intro

Post by Skip Intro » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:03 pm

One major characteristic of the current administration is its deep and abiding terror of expertise in general, and outside expertise in particular. - Charles Pierce

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:10 pm

tek wrote:So, if I heard correctly in the Sessions press conference, he said he had talked to the Ukranian ambassador the day before, and the Russian ambassador got agitated in the meeting in question when the things the Ukranians said came up.

And why was he discussing what the Ukrainian ambassador said?

tek

Post by tek » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:14 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
tek wrote:So, if I heard correctly in the Sessions press conference, he said he had talked to the Ukranian ambassador the day before, and the Russian ambassador got agitated in the meeting in question when the things the Ukranians said came up.

And why was he discussing what the Ukrainian ambassador said?
I think this is what mikedunford was thinking about above..

It was Sessions' offhand added response to a question that wasn't asked that got this all off the ground.. he's a lawyer? really?
We are so far down the rabbit hole..

YellowMustard

Post by YellowMustard » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:40 pm

Mikedunford wrote:I expected that he would announce his recusal. But still a really, really bad idea to do it at a press conference. He should be lawyering up and shutting up right now, not taking questions. At least if he was smart.
Are you saying he should have been "rushin'" to his attorney's office?
----IANAL----

Call me old fashioned, but I always thought patriotism was something we share, not use against each other. - Mrs. Betty Bowers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xV8HHFtg7w

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:39 pm

YellowMustard wrote:
Mikedunford wrote:I expected that he would announce his recusal. But still a really, really bad idea to do it at a press conference. He should be lawyering up and shutting up right now, not taking questions. At least if he was smart.
Are you saying he should have been "rushin'" to his attorney's office?
:rotflmao:
“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:40 pm

Dan1100 wrote:
Volkonski wrote:
Mikedunford wrote:So, I take that now it is up to the Acting Deputy Attorney General to decide whether there will be a Special Prosecutor? Mike D?
An Obama appointee will do it. Trump will fire him if he turns the heat up past low.

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:14 pm

ZekeB wrote:
Dan1100 wrote:
Volkonski wrote:
An Obama appointee will do it. Trump will fire him if he turns the heat up past low.
and we will all know that there is something there there.

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:05 pm

White House Confirms Jared Kushner and Michael Flynn Met With Russian Ambassador in December

Following the Washington Post’s story yesterday that revealed Attorney General Jeff Sessions met with Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak twice before the election as he was involved in Donald Trump’s campaign, we have now gotten more reports of meetings between the Russian envoy and Trump advisers.

This afternoon, USA Today reported that two other Trump advisers — J.D. Gordon and Carter Page — also spoke with Kislyak at a conference in conjunction with the Republican National Committee. (This was one of the meetings Sessions had.)

Also, according to the White House itself, senior adviser (and Trump son-in-law) Jared Kushner and former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn attended a meeting at Trump Tower with Kilsyak in December. This meeting had not been disclosed until today. <SNIP>
http://www.mediaite.com/online/white-ho ... -december/
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:21 pm

Donald Trump Jr. ‘Likely’ Paid $50k+ by Russian Allies for October Speech

Back on October 11th of last year, exactly four weeks before his father’s victory in the presidential election, Donald Trump, Jr. spoke at an event in Paris held by the Center of Political and Foreign Affairs (CPFA), a French think tank. On Thursday, The Wall Street Journal published a report further scrutinizing the speaking engagement, revealing that the president’s eldest son made “at least $50,000” for the speech. Why is this notable? Because the CPFA’s president and his wife worked with the Russian government on ending the war in Syria.

Fabien Baussart, the president of the organization, and his wife, Syrian-born Randa Kassis, claim that they don’t represent Russia, but Kassis is, as WSJ puts it, “a leader of a political faction endorsed by Russia in negotiations to end the war in Syria.” Various “U.S., European and Arab officials” are cited as saying that the couple worked with Russia directly to end the civil war. Perhaps even more conspicuous, in December Baussart nominated Russian President Vladimir Putin for the Nobel Peace Prize. He told Russian state news agency RIA Novosti that “I believe that President Putin has deserved it” because “he is the only one who is truly fighting terrorism.”

An agency that books Trump, Jr. for speeches lists his minimum fee as $50,000, but those familiar with the process told the Journal that French organizations tend to pay 20% to 30% above a speaker’s starting price. A spokesperson for The Trump Organization issued a comment stating that “Donald Trump Jr. has been participating in business-related speaking engagements for over a decade — discussing a range of topics including sharing his entrepreneurial experiences and offering career specific advice.”

that is all at the link
http://www.mediaite.com/print/donald-tr ... er-speech/

GAH! The Trump hand mannerisms. :evil:
Dxxx Jxxxxx
February 28 ·

Love to snap this hand off at the wrist and stick it up his...

Sxxxxxx GxxxxI friggin' hate the way he pinches his forefinger and thumb together. HATE IT.
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:47 am

Speaking of Carter Page:

Posted this to another thread as well

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:14 pm

Business Insider
Another Trump adviser has significantly changed his story about the GOP's dramatic shift on Ukraine

The Trump campaign's national-security policy representative for the Republican National Convention, J.D. Gordon, told CNN on Thursday that he pushed to alter an amendment to the GOP's draft policy on Ukraine at the Republican National Convention last year to further align it with President Donald Trump's views.

Gordon's remarks represent a dramatic shift from previous comments, and they come as Attorney General Jeff Sessions faces intense scrutiny over two previously undisclosed meetings with Russia's ambassador to the US — one of which was timed to the convention.

In January, Gordon told Business Insider that he "never left" his "assigned side table" nor spoke publicly at the GOP national security subcommittee meeting, where the amendment — which originally called for "providing lethal defense weapons" to the Ukrainian army to fend off Russian-backed separatists — was read aloud, debated, and ultimately watered down to "providing appropriate assistance" to Ukraine.

According to CNN's Jim Acosta, however, Gordon said that at the RNC he and others "advocated for the GOP platform to include language against arming Ukrainians against pro-Russian rebels" because "this was in line with Trump's views, expressed at a March national security meeting at the unfinished Trump hotel" in Washington, DC.
¡Qué vergüenza!

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:35 pm

Flatpointhigh wrote:
ZekeB wrote:
Dan1100 wrote:
and we will all know that there is something there there.
Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it,

Saturday night massacre, anyone?

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:32 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dReOdQmt-Qk
"Moths are velvety-soft abominations attracted to light." --Puck, reporter from Breaking Cat News

bob

Post by bob » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:04 pm

AL.com: Aderholt: Russia-Trump coordination 'birther issue of the Democratic Party':
The dean of Alabama's congressional delegation on Thursday likened the allegations of Russian interference in the U.S. election as "the 'birther' issue of the Democratic Party" in a statement defending Attorney General Jeff Sessions.

Rep. Robert Aderholt, R-Haleyville, was referencing the debunked claims that President Barack Obama was not born in the United States - a conspiracy that was given credence by Donald Trump.

"The unsubstantiated allegations about Russian coordination are becoming almost like the 'birther' issue of the Democratic party," Aderholt said in a statement.
Cf.: Left in Alabama (in 2009):
t looks like Rep. Robert Aderholt (R, AL-04) is leaving the door open to the birther nonsense:

“To address lingering doubts, Rep. Robert Aderholt, R-Haleyville, feels that the White House should “produce the original birth certificate, which to my knowledge hasn't been made public,” spokesman Darrell “DJ” Jordan said in an e-mail.

Aderholt believes Obama is a citizen, Jordan said, despite the congressman's comment on a radio talk show last week that “it would be an important thing to try and do an investigation to see what the bottom line is.”
Imagex4 Imagex2 Imagex2 Imagex2

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:10 am

Mother Jones - David Corn
One Simple Question That Could Break the Trump-Russia Scandal Wide Open ...

All this means that when Flynn was talking to Kislyak—or any other Russian government officials—during the campaign, he was in contact with a foreign power waging political warfare against the United States and had reason to suspect or know this. And throughout the summer and fall campaign, Flynn, who was already cozy with Moscow (having accepted a speaking fee to hang out with Putin at a Moscow gala for RT in December 2015), was Trump's most senior foreign policy aide. (He was given a prime speaking spot at the Republican national convention.)

What was Flynn, this prominent and important Trump adviser, saying to Kislyak during this stretch? The ambassador refused to tell the Washington Post what he and Flynn discussed. Was Flynn firmly telling the Russians to cease meddling in US politics? Did they discuss the hacking at all? Or perhaps Flynn was signaling to Moscow that Putin would get a better deal if Trump were elected. If Flynn uttered to Kislyak anything of that nature—or even if he ducked the issue of the hacking—Moscow could have read this as encouragement for its covert operation to undermine the US election.

There has been speculation that the Trump campaign colluded with Moscow on the hacking/leaking plot. (Clapper this weekend said he had seen no evidence of such collusion but noted it was possible evidence might have emerged since he left the government in January.) But communications between the Trump camp and the Russian government need not have been so explicit to qualify as outrageous and improper. On the campaign trail, Trump had praised Putin, refused to acknowledge the Russian hack, and raised the possibility of easing the sanctions imposed on Russia for its invasion of Ukraine. If Flynn was reinforcing Trump's pro-Putin message in his private chats with Kislyak, that would have been reassuring for Moscow and might possibly have emboldened a regime as it was assaulting the US electoral system.

Flynn's pre-election communications with Kislyak could be far more significant than his conversations during the transition about the Obama sanctions that prompted his firing. Investigators working the Trump-Russia beat should zero in on this. Flynn should be asked when exactly he was gabbing with the Russian ambassador during the campaign. Phone and text records ought to be reviewed. There might be transcripts of these discussions, for Kislyak was routinely spied on by the US intelligence community. (That's why Flynn got caught lying about his talks with the Russian ambassador during the transition.)

There is plenty of muck for investigators and reporters to be raking regarding the Trump team's interactions with Russia. It is evident that there were contacts during the campaign—and that Trump and his lieutenants have repeatedly dissembled about this. And Flynn may well be one key to figuring out what was going on. In recent days, Sessions' two acknowledged interactions with Kislyak have drawn much notice. As much scrutiny should be applied to Flynn's pre-election communications with the Russian. It might just offer a path to solving the riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma.
¡Qué vergüenza!

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:21 am

WikiLeaks publish 1000s of what they say are CIA documents

http://www.chron.com/business/technolog ... 982575.php
The dump could not immediately be authenticated by The Associated Press and the CIA declined comment, but WikiLeaks has a long track record of releasing top secret government documents. Experts who've started to sift through the material said it appeared legitimate — and that the release was almost certain to shake the CIA.

"There's no question that there's a fire drill going on right now," said Jake Williams, a security expert with Augusta, Georgia-based Rendition Infosec. "It wouldn't surprise me that there are people changing careers — and ending careers — as we speak."

If it did prove legitimate, the dump would represent yet another catastrophic breach for the U.S. intelligence community at the hands of WikiLeaks and its allies, which have repeatedly humbled Washington with the mass release of classified material, including hundreds of thousands of documents from the State Department and the Pentagon.
So, we can blame this on Trump? ;)
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:26 am

Well, Russia. Same thing.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:28 am

Volkonski wrote:WikiLeaks publish 1000s of what they say are CIA documents

http://www.chron.com/business/technolog ... 982575.php
The dump could not immediately be authenticated by The Associated Press and the CIA declined comment, but WikiLeaks has a long track record of releasing top secret government documents. Experts who've started to sift through the material said it appeared legitimate — and that the release was almost certain to shake the CIA.

"There's no question that there's a fire drill going on right now," said Jake Williams, a security expert with Augusta, Georgia-based Rendition Infosec. "It wouldn't surprise me that there are people changing careers — and ending careers — as we speak."

If it did prove legitimate, the dump would represent yet another catastrophic breach for the U.S. intelligence community at the hands of WikiLeaks and its allies, which have repeatedly humbled Washington with the mass release of classified material, including hundreds of thousands of documents from the State Department and the Pentagon.
So, we can blame this on Trump? ;)

It happened on Trump's watch. :roll:
“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:29 pm

NBC News
Ex-Spy Who Wrote Trump Dossier Speaks

The ex-spy who prepared an explosive dossier on the Trump campaign's alleged ties to Russia emerged from hiding today to say he'd returned to work.

Christopher Steele spoke briefly to reporters outside the London offices of his private intelligence firm, Orbis Business Intelligence.

"I'm really pleased to be back here working again at the Orbis's offices in London today," said Steele.

"I'm now going to be focusing my efforts on supporting the broader interests of our company here. I'd like to say a warm thank you to everyone who sent me kind messages and support over the last few weeks.

"I won't be making any further statements or comments at this time."
¡Qué vergüenza!

Return to “Presidential Election”