CIA assessment: Russia helped Trump win & Senate knew it

Slim Cognito

Re: CIA assessment: Russia tried to help Trump win & Senate knew it

Post by Slim Cognito » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:11 am

Wow, so much info coming out to ruin Praise Trump Speech Day. Am I processing all this correctly?

Sessions lies, under oath, about meeting with the Russian ambassador.

We hear countries, including Holland and Britain, have provided our IC with info about Trump's staff (noun) meeting (verb) with Russians in Europe.

We hear (again I believe) Trump and Co have been warned not to destroy evidence of Russian interaction.

We hear the Obama admin worked feverishly to protect evidence of Russian interference, worried Trump's team would destroy it. But is it truly protected? Can they put it in places POTUS Trump's team can't access and destroy? Trump has a history of destroying evidence ordered preserved by judges.

More questions.

Sessions is a waste of human skin and lying under oath during his confirmation re: the Russian amb is serious business, one would think. How bad, or unusual, would it be for a sitting senator to talk to a Russian ambassador, not counting running into each other at a dinner party?

A couple of weeks ago Comey called an urgent meeting with the Senate Intel Cmtte. It is said they all left the meeting "stone-faced." How far off would I be to speculate Comey informed the committee of some of these very things which are just now leaking to the public?

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:15 am

Mikedunford wrote:
“I’m not aware of any of those activities,” he responded. He added: “I have been called a surrogate at a time or two in that campaign and I did not have communications with the Russians.”
That one is a problem. "I did not have communications with the Russians" is about as unambiguous as statement as "I did not have sexual relations with that woman." Session's didn't qualify that answer with "about the campaign" or anything else. It's a very clear statement, which was very clearly false.*

That one is a potential Joe Biden - particularly if more information about the conversations comes out.
Doesn't this put Sessions in the same "compromised" category as Flynn after having lied about talking to the Russian ambassador, that is, he is now susceptible to blackmail?

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:38 am

Slim Cognito wrote:
Mikedunford wrote:
“I’m not aware of any of those activities,” he responded. He added: “I have been called a surrogate at a time or two in that campaign and I did not have communications with the Russians.”
That one is a problem. "I did not have communications with the Russians" is about as unambiguous as statement as "I did not have sexual relations with that woman." Session's didn't qualify that answer with "about the campaign" or anything else. It's a very clear statement, which was very clearly false.*

That one is a potential Joe Biden - particularly if more information about the conversations comes out.
Doesn't this put Sessions in the same "compromised" category as Flynn after having lied about talking to the Russian ambassador, that is, he is now susceptible to blackmail?
Depends. If all that's out there is the fact of the meeting, he's actually less susceptible (hard to blackmail someone with generally known information). If the content of the meeting touched upon the campaign or candidate in any way, he's more susceptible.

I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

Dallasite
Location: About 40,000 light years from the center of the Milky Way Galaxy.
Chemtrails Program
Human Factors and Behavioral Sciences Division

Post by Dallasite » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:59 am

Ted Cruz is a lying piece of shit. He just stated on MSNBC the underlying meetings between Sessions and the Russian Ambassador were a "nothing burger" yet when asked, admits he knows nothing of the contents of those meetings. Party before country as usual for Republicans.

"I drank what?!?!" - Soctates, 399 BC

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:13 am

Saw a quote from Gary Kasparov last night.

"Wlibur Ross has more Russian connections than Aeroflot."

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

Dallasite
Chemtrails Program

Post by Dallasite » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:18 am

And DJT has more Russian ties than he has Chinese-made ties.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:30 am

I am hearing the argument that Senators on the Armed Services Committee meet with foreign officials all the time. Is there some kind of contact report that must be written, or do we have multiple Senators free to conduct their own secret foreign policy talks?

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:51 am

TexasFilly wrote:I am hearing the argument that Senators on the Armed Services Committee meet with foreign officials all the time. Is there some kind of contact report that must be written, or do we have multiple Senators free to conduct their own secret foreign policy talks?
I saw this tweet this morning.
16999044_10206202286735300_341286813295400042_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:22 am

Talking Points Memo - Josh Marshall
The Gravity Is Strong ...

My biggest takeaway is that this scandal has all the attributes of the vast and shattering scandals in which people who at least appear to have only indirect or limited roles themselves keep getting pulled under or compromised by it. I know "vast and shattering" is a pretty portentous phrase. Certainly, this revelation itself doesn't shake anything to its foundations. But why did Sessions have this meeting at all? It seems at best ill-conceived, coming in the heat of allegations of inappropriate connections between Trump and Russia last Fall. ...

Why are there so many unforced errors? Why conceal this meeting? Frankly, why lie about it? As I said, big, big scandals work like this. People who don't even appear to be that close to the action keep getting pulled under for what seem like needless deceptions. The answer is usually that the stuff at the center of the scandal is so big that it requires concealment, even about things distant from the main action, things that it would seem much better and less damaging simply to admit.

We've all heard the old saw: It's never the crime, it's the cover-up. This is almost never true. Covering scandals for any length of time is enough to tell you that. People are generally able to make judgments about how much trouble they're in. We think the 'cover up' is worse than the crime because it's actually very seldom that the full scope of the actual crime is ever known. The cover up works better than you think. The other reason the cover up is a logical response is that it usually works. You only find out about it when it doesn't. So it's a good bet.

Astronomers can't see black holes directly. They map them by their event horizon and their effect on nearby stars and stellar matter. We can't see yet what's at the center of the Trump/Russia black hole. But we can tell a lot about its magnitude by the scope of the event horizon and the degree of its gravitational pull, which is immense.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:27 am

Dallasite wrote:And DJT has more Russian ties than he has Chinese-made ties.
:rotflmao:

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:32 am

Mikedunford wrote:
Addie wrote:WaPo
Sessions spoke twice with Russian ambassador during Trump’s presidential campaign, Justice officials say
:snippity:
The second involves his answer to Al Franken's question during the hearing:

:snippity:

*It's also a statement that was not required to provide a full and complete answer to Senator Franken's question, which just goes to show you how bad lawyers can be as witnesses.

It is an unforced error and a preemptive strike. Sessions/Gollum is tricksie but not as tricksie as the press!

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Danraft

Post by Danraft » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:48 am

There was the Franken testimony during the confirmation hearing, but also, a written response to Senator Leahy.
The question was did he have any contact with the Russians during the campaign.
The written response from Sessions was, "No."

The two meetings consisted of one meeting, earlier in 2016 at a Trump rally.....

And, one in September in his office.

Does not look good for him. Questioning in front of another committee, like they did to Hillary, would be horrific for him. "Are you saying you discussed US business at the Trump rally?"

One has to remember that not only did he join the Trump campaign in February of 2016, but that he was actively on the Stump with him. And, Trump referred to him as "My Attorney General".

Again, this would look horrific in front of the camera. I think the Trump staff will consider this in their decision to respond.

And, nothing counts until the Donald makes a ruling.

He hung low and avoided any comment on Flynn. I wonder if he spoke early on the Sessions issue, would he backtrack later?

Or, will he take advise of those around him and who manage his image before making a statement?
Dan

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:51 am

Not a Trump rally, at the Republican National Convention, I believe.
Danraft wrote:The two meetings consisted if one meeting, earlier in 2016 at a Trump rally.....

Dan

¡Qué vergüenza!

Danraft

Post by Danraft » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:54 am

You're correct of course.

Which begs the question, what was Papa Bear Ruskie doing There?
Dan

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:59 am

It certainly does. Papa Bear Ruskie, not only the Russian Ambassador, but who is considered to be a spymaster and recruiter. Interesting.
Danraft wrote:Which begs the question, what was Papa Bear Ruskie doing There?
Dan

¡Qué vergüenza!

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:19 pm

Addie wrote:It certainly does. Papa Bear Ruskie, not only the Russian Ambassador, but who is considered to be a spymaster and recruiter. Interesting.
Danraft wrote:Which begs the question, what was Papa Bear Ruskie doing There?
Dan
which is something ol' Jeffie would have known about, he being on the Foreign Relations Committee and all.

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:46 pm

It is really starting to play out like the 1980's movie, "No Way Out."

Which begs the question, "Who is Yuri?"

"Let's say you're on trial for armed robbery. You say to the judge, 'I forgot armed robbery was illegal.' "

-Steve Martin

Dallasite
Chemtrails Program

Post by Dallasite » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:40 pm

Dan1100 wrote:It is really starting to play out like the 1980's movie, "No Way Out."

Which begs the question, "Who is Yuri?"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:17 pm

Help, Foggy!!!! There oughta be a RULE against posting pictures like that with no warning!!!!!! :nooo:

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:29 pm

CNBC‏ Verified account @CNBC 7m7 minutes ago

BREAKING: Attorney General Sessions to hold a news conference at 4pm ET

"Let's say you're on trial for armed robbery. You say to the judge, 'I forgot armed robbery was illegal.' "

-Steve Martin

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:05 pm

Dan1100 wrote:

Unless he's resigning - and you don't generally hold a press conference to resign - this could be the dumbest possible thing for him to do right now.

I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:12 pm

Danraft wrote:There was the Franken testimony during the confirmation hearing, but also, a written response to Senator Leahy.
The question was did he have any contact with the Russians during the campaign.
The written response from Sessions was, "No."

The two meetings consisted of one meeting, earlier in 2016 at a Trump rally.....

Does not look good for him. Questioning in front of another committee, like they did to Hillary, would be horrific for him. "Are you saying you discussed US business at the Trump rally?"

One has to remember that not only did he join the Trump campaign in February of 2016, but that he was actively on the Stump with him. And, Trump referred to him as "My Attorney General".

Again, this would look horrific in front of the camera. I think the Trump staff will consider this in their decision to respond.

And, nothing counts until the Donald makes a ruling.

He hung low and avoided any comment on Flynn. I wonder if he spoke early on the Sessions issue, would he backtrack later?

Or, will he take advise of those around him and who manage his image before making a statement?
Dan
(CNN) — President Donald Trump said Thursday he has "total" confidence in Attorney General Jeff Sessions following accusations that he misled Congress by failing to disclose pre-election meetings with Russia's ambassador to the United States.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/02/politics/ ... tion-call/

listeme

Post by listeme » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:28 pm

I'm "watching" via twitter, and am seeing stuff like this:
Thomas Boyers V‏
@ThomasBoyers

#Sessions, a lawyer, is making statements that may well end his career if not his freedom.
(I have no idea what he's referring to, which is part of the joy of watching via twitter.)

We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:36 pm

Mikedunford wrote:
Dan1100 wrote:

Unless he's resigning - and you don't generally hold a press conference to resign - this could be the dumbest possible thing for him to do right now.
He has recused himself.
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/j ... act-235604

Sessions recuses himself from Russia probe
The attorney general is removing himself from any DOJ probes related to the presidential campaigns.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:38 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Mikedunford wrote:
Dan1100 wrote:
He has recused himself.
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/j ... act-235604

Sessions recuses himself from Russia probe
The attorney general is removing himself from any DOJ probes related to the presidential campaigns.
So, I take that now it is up to the Acting Deputy Attorney General to decide whether there will be a Special Prosecutor? Mike D?

-Steve Martin

Return to “Presidential Election”