CIA assessment: Russia helped Trump win & Senate knew it

Addie

Re: CIA assessment: Russia tried to help Trump win & Senate knew it

Post #476 by Addie » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:21 pm

Washington Monthly

Mobbed Up?

Connecting the dots between Trump and the Russian mafia.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post #477 by Addie » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:17 pm

WaPo

FBI once planned to pay former British spy who authored controversial Trump dossier

The former British spy who authored a controversial dossier on behalf of Donald Trump’s political opponents alleging ties between Trump and Russia reached an agreement with the FBI a few weeks before the election for the bureau to pay him to continue his work, according to several people familiar with the arrangement.

The agreement to compensate former MI6 agent Christopher Steele came as U.S. intelligence agencies reached a consensus that the Russians had interfered in the presidential election by orchestrating hacks of Democratic Party email accounts.

While Trump has derided the dossier as “fake news” compiled by his political opponents, the FBI’s arrangement with Steele shows that bureau investigators considered him credible and found his line of inquiry to be worthy of pursuit.

Ultimately, the FBI did not pay Steele. Communications between the bureau and the former spy were interrupted as Steele’s now-famous dossier became the subject of news stories, congressional inquiries and presidential denials, according to the people familiar with the arrangement, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter. ...

Steele was familiar to the FBI, in part because the bureau had previously hired him to help a U.S. inquiry into alleged corruption in the world soccer organization FIFA. The FBI sometimes pays informants, sources and outside investigators to assist in its work. Steele was known for the quality of his past work and for the knowledge he had developed over nearly 20 years working on Russia-related issues for British intelligence. The Washington Post was not able to determine how much the FBI intended to pay Steele had their relationship remained intact.

¡Qué vergüenza!

MsDaisy

Post #478 by MsDaisy » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:57 am

The Most Audacious Quid Pro Quo In History

Donald Trump and the GOP are desperately trying to quash further scrutiny into his administration’s ties to Russia, scrutiny that has only intensified since the resignation of National Security Adviser Michael Flynn over leaks that he discussed lifting sanctions with a Russian diplomat after the election. Democrats, and yes, a few Republicans are calling for independent investigations, but no one has been as vocal in their criticism as California Congresswoman Maxine Waters.

After a confidential briefing to Congress on Russian hacking by FBI Director James Comey in January, Waters tersely told reporters that Comey “has no credibility.” At 21 seconds, Elle called her remarks the “the world’s quickest and sassiest press conference.”

On Chris Hayes’ show last week, Waters said that Trump and his circle of friends with connections to Russia and the fossil fuel industry are “a bunch of scumbags... who are all organized around making money.” The target of her ire was Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, the former CEO of Exxon Mobil, who previously negotiated a $500 billion deal with Putin to drill in the Arctic — a deal blocked by sanctions imposed by the Obama administration for the Russian intervention in the Ukraine.

Following up on these statements at the winter meeting of the Democratic National Committee in Atlanta last weekend, I asked Rep. Waters if lifting sanctions was the most audacious quid pro quo in history: the presidency for petroleum. In short, she thinks Trump colluded with Russia on lifting sanctions DURING the presidential campaign.That timeline would be critically different from the post-election conversations Flynn had in December. If Waters is right, that collusion may lay the groundwork for Donald Trump’s impeachment

Video at the link
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/the ... 1v0553ik9&

Birfers are toast

Chilidog

Post #479 by Chilidog » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:28 am

Addie wrote:Washington Monthly

Mobbed Up?

Connecting the dots between Trump and the Russian mafia.

I've been saying this all along.

Real estate development is an ideal vehicle for money laundering.

Addie

Post #480 by Addie » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:47 pm

New York Times

Obama Administration Rushed to Preserve Intelligence of Russian Election Hacking

WASHINGTON — In the Obama administration’s last days, some White House officials scrambled to spread information about Russian efforts to undermine the presidential election — and about possible contacts between associates of President-elect Donald J. Trump and Russians — across the government. Former American officials say they had two aims: to ensure that such meddling isn’t duplicated in future American or European elections, and to leave a clear trail of intelligence for government investigators.

American allies, including the British and the Dutch, had provided information describing meetings in European cities between Russian officials — and others close to Russia’s president, Vladimir V. Putin — and associates of President-elect Trump, according to three former American officials who requested anonymity in discussing classified intelligence. Separately, American intelligence agencies had intercepted communications of Russian officials, some of them within the Kremlin, discussing contacts with Mr. Trump’s associates.

Then and now, Mr. Trump has denied that his campaign had any contact with Russian officials, and at one point he openly suggested that American spy agencies had cooked up intelligence suggesting that the Russian government had tried to meddle in the presidential election. Mr. Trump has accused the Obama administration of hyping the Russia story line as a way to discredit his new administration.

At the Obama White House, Mr. Trump’s statements stoked fears among some that intelligence could be covered up or destroyed — or its sources exposed — once power changed hands. What followed was a push to preserve the intelligence that underscored the deep anxiety with which the White House and American intelligence agencies had come to view the threat from Moscow.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post #481 by Addie » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:51 pm

Reuters

White House aides told to preserve materials in Russia probe: source

The White House counsel's office has sent a memo instructing President Donald Trump's aides to preserve materials that could be connected to suspected Russian interference in the 2016 election and related issues, an administration official said on Wednesday.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, confirmed an Associated Press report on the memo. AP, citing administration officials, said the memo was sent on Tuesday.

U.S. intelligence agencies have concluded that Russia sought to influence the presidential election to help Trump defeat Democrat Hillary Clinton. ...

Senate Democrats last week asked the White House and law enforcement agencies to keep all materials involving contacts between Trump's team and Russian officials, AP said. The Senate Intelligence Committee made a similar request, the AP said.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Estiveo

Post #482 by Estiveo » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:53 pm

Isn't being told to preserve files the point at which the Donald usually starts shredding them?

"You're so much more endearing with the sound turned off." --Incubus, Talk Shows on Mute

Image x2 Image Image

June bug

Post #483 by June bug » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:56 pm

Estiveo wrote:Isn't being told to preserve files the point at which the Donald usually starts shredding them?

Not to mention the convenient time gap between Senate Democrats and the Senate Intelligence Committee making that request last week and the WH Counsel only sending the memo Tuesday. :madguy:

YellowMustard

Post #484 by YellowMustard » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:00 pm

Addie wrote:New York Times

Obama Administration Rushed to Preserve Intelligence of Russian Election Hacking.

I just came to post this and you beat me. This is unreal. Obama officials, fearful that the new administration would cover things up, planted bread crumbs to be found by future investigators.

As Inauguration Day approached, Obama White House officials grew convinced that the intelligence was damning and that they needed to ensure that as many people as possible inside government could see it, even if people without security clearances could not. Some officials began asking specific questions at intelligence briefings, knowing the answers would be archived and could be easily unearthed by investigators — including the Senate Intelligence Committee, which in early January announced an inquiry into Russian efforts to influence the election.

At intelligence agencies, there was a push to process as much raw intelligence as possible into analyses, and to keep the reports at a relatively low classification level to ensure as wide a readership as possible across the government — and, in some cases, among European allies. This allowed the upload of as much intelligence as possible to Intellipedia, a secret wiki used by American analysts to share information.
More than a half-dozen current and former officials described various aspects of the effort to preserve and distribute the intelligence, and some said they were speaking to draw attention to the material and ensure proper investigation by Congress.

----IANAL----

Call me old fashioned, but I always thought patriotism was something we share, not use against each other. - Mrs. Betty Bowers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xV8HHFtg7w

Addie

Post #485 by Addie » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:01 pm

Adam Schiff tweet

Ds & Rs on House Intel have now committed to investigate all aspects of Russian active measures including any collusion with Trump campaign.

Adding:

Politico: House Intel leaders set parameters of Russia probe

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post #486 by Addie » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:21 pm

WaPo

Sessions spoke twice with Russian ambassador during Trump’s presidential campaign, Justice officials say

Then-Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) spoke twice last year with Russia’s ambassador to the United States, Justice Department officials said, encounters he did not disclose when asked about possible contacts between members of President Trump’s campaign and representatives of Moscow during Sessions’s confirmation hearing to become attorney general.

One of the meetings was a private conversation between Sessions and Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak that took place in September in the senator’s office, at the height of what U.S. intelligence officials say was a Russian cyber campaign to upend the U.S. presidential race.

The previously undisclosed discussions could fuel new congressional calls for the appointment of a special counsel to investigate Russia’s alleged role in the 2016 presidential election. As attorney general, Sessions oversees the Justice Department and the FBI, which have been leading investigations into Russian meddling and any links to Trump’s associates. He has so far resisted calls to recuse himself.

When Sessions spoke with Kislyak in July and September, the senator was a senior member of the influential Armed Services Committee as well as one of Trump’s top foreign policy advisers. Sessions played a prominent role supporting Trump on the stump after formally joining the campaign in February 2016.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Lani

Post #487 by Lani » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:34 pm

MSNBC is halfway through an hour of discussing the breaking news about Trump's Russian connections.

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

YellowMustard

Post #488 by YellowMustard » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:50 pm

I'm guessing we'll wake to a flurry of "fake news" tweets tomorrow and, if we're lucky, a batshit crazy press conference on Friday. That should erase his "he sounded so presidential" bump following the SOTU.

----IANAL----

Call me old fashioned, but I always thought patriotism was something we share, not use against each other. - Mrs. Betty Bowers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xV8HHFtg7w

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post #489 by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:05 pm

I am soooooooo :happyfamily: Sessions is caught lying under oath. His sanctimonious, self-righteous, xenophobic zeal turns my stomach. :sick:

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Lani

Post #490 by Lani » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:06 pm

Lani wrote:MSNBC is halfway through an hour of discussing the breaking news about Trump's Russian connections.

And continuing for a 2nd hour....

YellowMustard

Post #491 by YellowMustard » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:12 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:I am soooooooo :happyfamily: Sessions is caught lying under oath. His sanctimonious, self-righteous, xenophobic zeal turns my stomach. :sick:

I just tweeted: Trump is right, we do need more prisons. One for his family, one for his Russian comrades, one for his cabinet..

----IANAL----

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post #492 by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:12 pm

YellowMustard wrote:
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:I am soooooooo :happyfamily: Sessions is caught lying under oath. His sanctimonious, self-righteous, xenophobic zeal turns my stomach. :sick:

I just tweeted: Trump is right, we do need more prisons. One for his family, one for his Russian comrades, one for his cabinet..

:rotflmao:

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

YellowMustard

Post #493 by YellowMustard » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:48 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
YellowMustard wrote:

:rotflmao:

And it just dawned on me... we can put a Bundy in each one to keep them company!

----IANAL----

Lani

Post #494 by Lani » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:04 pm

Pelosi has called for Sessions to resign.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post #495 by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:10 pm

Lani wrote:Pelosi has called for Sessions to resign.

YES! YES! YES!

Lani

Post #496 by Lani » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:11 pm

Lani wrote:Pelosi has called for Sessions to resign.

ETA:
House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi has called on Attorney General Jeff Sessions to immediately resign following reports that he spoke to the Russian ambassador to the United States during President Trump's campaign.

"Jeff Sessions lied under oath during his confirmation hearing before the Senate. Under penalty of perjury, he told the Senate Judiciary Committee, 'I have been called a surrogate at a time or two in that campaign and I did not have communications with the Russians.' We now know that statement is false," Pelosi said in a n official statement.

"Now, after lying under oath to Congress about his own communications with the Russians, the Attorney General must resign. Sessions is not fit to serve as the top law enforcement officer of our country and must resign," she continued.
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/321938-pelosi-calls-on-sessions-to-resign

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post #497 by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:13 pm

Elizabeth Warren is dancing on the ceiling!!!!!!!! Take that, Mitch McConnell!

Dolly

Post #498 by Dolly » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:34 pm

I am not able to watch the video. Could be my slow connection? Anyway, here are links. More confirmation hearing videos at CSPAN.

CSPAN‏Verified account
@cspan

CLIP: From January 10, Sen. @alfranken questions Jeff Sessions on #Russia

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4644097/trumpesp

https://twitter.com/cspan/status/837133304356868096
6:51 PM - 1 Mar 2017

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Mikedunford

Post #499 by Mikedunford » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:49 am

Addie wrote:WaPo

Sessions spoke twice with Russian ambassador during Trump’s presidential campaign, Justice officials say

There are two separate statements in the WaPo article that are potentially problematic for Sessions. The first involves the written questionnaire:

In January, Sen. Patrick J. Leahy (D-Vt.) asked Sessions for answers to written questions. “Several of the President-elect’s nominees or senior advisers have Russian ties. Have you been in contact with anyone connected to any part of the Russian government about the 2016 election, either before or after election day?” Leahy wrote.

Sessions responded with one word: “No.”

That one is problematic, but only if someone can demonstrate that Sessions had conversations about the election. (Was the Ambassador carrying a recorder-pen or other device?)

The second involves his answer to Al Franken's question during the hearing:

“I’m not aware of any of those activities,” he responded. He added: “I have been called a surrogate at a time or two in that campaign and I did not have communications with the Russians.”

That one is a problem. "I did not have communications with the Russians" is about as unambiguous as statement as "I did not have sexual relations with that woman." Session's didn't qualify that answer with "about the campaign" or anything else. It's a very clear statement, which was very clearly false.*

That one is a potential Joe Biden - particularly if more information about the conversations comes out.

*It's also a statement that was not required to provide a full and complete answer to Senator Franken's question, which just goes to show you how bad lawyers can be as witnesses.

1 Cranch 137, 177

Lani

Post #500 by Lani » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:06 am

Mikedunford wrote:
Addie wrote: :snippity:

:snippity:
That one is problematic, but only if someone can demonstrate that Sessions had conversations about the election. (Was the Ambassador carrying a recorder-pen or other device?)

This might apply to that conversation:
American allies, including the British and the Dutch, had provided information describing meetings in European cities between Russian officials — and others close to Russia’s president, Vladimir V. Putin — and associates of President-elect Trump, according to three former American officials who requested anonymity in discussing classified intelligence.

Separately, American intelligence agencies had intercepted communications of Russian officials, some of them within the Kremlin, discussing contacts with Trump associates.
https://nytimes.com/2017/03/01/us/politics/obama-trump-russia-election-hacking.html

Return to “Presidential Election”